Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaah, on with the questions! *rubs hands gleefully*

1) Why do you think TOR so successfully captured the ensemble feel many fans of Atlantis enjoy? What was it about the story that made it different from some of other 'ensemble' episodes?

For me it works so wonderfully because it's a deeply human story. i think D. Kindler never lost that from sight, the fact that he was writing about human beings. He let them show emotions and act emotionally about the things that were happening. The story itself is good, but it's a character driven episode. It's mostly about Rodney, but it's about other people too, and through their interactions we get to see what they mean to each other and how they feel about wach other. It was just wonderful to watch it.

2) Describe Rodney's relationship with the following five in your terms:

a) Ronon -- I think both of them have lots of respect for the other, that deep human respect, but they're guys, you know? They don't go around showing it.
    b) Teyla -- I think she matters a great deal to Rodney. I think he'd do anything for her, and also, he doesn't say or show that to her very often. he can be so consumed in things like science and doohickeys. And Teyla understands him well, and Rodney knows he can count on her.
    c) Zelenka -- they're best friends and best enemies. I love their dynamics. I think they both respect the other but would never ever say that. And of course there's that scientific rivalry all the way.
    d) John -- brothers. I think that single word is enough.
    e) Elizabeth -- I think Rodney respects her more than anyone else in the whole Atlantis.

3) What purpose did Zelenka's serious injury serve in furthering the story?

To me it was a hint that Rodney was becoming more and more ancienty, and drawing from knowledge gathered watching SG - 1, that couldn't be a good sign.

4) Rodney's initial reaction to his impending 'death' is to make as many improvements to Atlantis, the Daedalus and other things he can. Why do you think he did this?

Oh, one part of him is all about leaving an important legacy to mankind. Other part of him simply wanted to keep them all safe, once he wasn't around any more. Also, I think he was supressing the freaking out reaction, or he believed he would sort it out somehow - he's a genius after all.

5) Why do you think Elizabeth became the voice of Reason for Rodney's personal struggles? Why not John, Carson, or even Teyla?

I think Rodney would dismiss all of them, but Elizabeth is a category for herself. Like I said, he doesn't respect anyone else quite like that.

6) John seems rather nonchalant at times about Rodney's impending demise, still needling him even when it's imperative Rodney learn to ascend. Do you think this is just John Sheppard's nature? Those of you who've watched S4/S5--Do you think John would have taken the same attitude after the events of Lifeline?

I think the timeline was crucial here. Before FS/Adrift/Lifeline John wasn't tainted with such heartbreaking loss. His core family was still more or less intact, he had strong footing and strong belief all of them together could face anything and come out victorious. After Lifeline it's like half of his heart was ripped out. in The Shrine he was being brave and calm for Rodney's sake, he was acting very mature, but he was dead serious, and beneath his calm, very, very scared and sad.

7) Did you ever feel real fear that we'd lose Rodney at the end of the story? How did you think it would end?
    [/B]

No, I didn't think we'd lose him, but I couldn't anticipate the ending - which was moving and poignant. I enjoyed it not because the final result was a surprise, but because how it was done. Those scenes where Rodney is dying/ascending, everyone saying goodbye, then a solution, all of them running to save him -- that's what counts. They felt like a family.

8) For a writer to effectively convey that a character has gone through an evolution, the viewer needs to feel different about the character even when he seems 'normal'. How did you feel about Rodney in the final scene of TOR? Was he changed in your mind or not?

A little wiser and more humble I think. And very thankful for surviving the experience.

9) Why do you think the writer included the funny conversation about John's desire to try out the machine, even after everything that happened to Rodney?

To light up the mood. I think it was an awesome move - he dealt with a serious matter rather well, and gave us few lighthearted moments too. I don't think John would really go and try it out, he's not stupid.

10) "Tao" is not an easy concept to explain, but in a nutshell, it is 'being in tune with nature and the universe'--essentially finding the path in life that allows one to harmoniously co-exist with the principles that govern the universe. What is the 'Tao' of Rodney? What do you think he had to do to reach that point where he was in harmony with the life around him?

Oh, that's a tough one. I think he had to recognize what all those people around him really mean to him. Rodney is so self absorbed most of the time, and also completely committed to being the scientist, the genius, the master of snark... he takes people for granted. I think he had to learn how to appreciate all of them.

--Sparky sparky bonus!--

a) What sequence in TOR was 'most sparky' in your mind?

Hm. The lunch - it's everyday thing, it's easy going, it's something they do together all the time. There's that old married couple vibe about it.

b) Do you think Damian Kindler has an appreciation for the Sparky relationship, or does he just find John & Elizabeth easy companions to bring about a few laughs?

I think Damian Kindler recognizes their dynamics as something good and neccesarry. I wouldn't call him an outright shipper, but I think he understands why John and Elizabeth make such good team.

c) Let's have some fun for a moment--John has no problem edging up to Elizabeth throughout this episode--standing beside her, hovering over her, etc. Sticking with canon (sorry, I'm mean ), why do you think this is?

Oh you meanie! I think he wants to be there, wants her to know he's there to help, she can count on him, and not only she, but Rodney too. He's needed there,a nd he needs to be with her on this "case". A shipper in me would say he's making sure she's okay. Protective big puppy that John is!

d) What does the lunch scene mean to you in the grand scheme of things? (be as abstract, succinct, fanon or canon as you want).

2It's a thing we do every day, in case you ever wondered".
    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
      Ladies and Gentlemen, I have reached...

2000 posts!

Yay! Avatars! *runs around screaming*
      CONGRATULATIONS ON PASSING 2 000 POSTS, ERI!!!

Comment

2000 posts!

WOOT - CONGRATS ERI!

(and to think, I only have 700 some to go ) hehehehe
        sigpic
        Signature by Erin87

Comment

Woo! I love your answer to Question 10, Anuna!

Thanks, but...I'm confuzzled now. Is it 3,000 to get a custom avatar? When I go to my avatar settings, I still only have the options to 1) show no avatar or 2) use one of the custom made ones (there are some nice ones there, actually, like the one I'm now using).

I could have sworn it was 2,000 posts.

*pouts*
          Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

2000 posts!

Now you just gotta find the perfect one.

Spoiler:

Questions for Tao of Rodney

1) Why do you think TOR so successfully captured the ensemble feel many fans of Atlantis enjoy? What was it about the story that made it different from some of other 'ensemble' episodes?

Everybody had an important part that contributed to the overall story. There was no B plot to break things up. It was different because of the lack of B plot and even though it revolved around Rodney, it didn't exclude the others. Most of the ensemble eps also were more actiony. This was a good character piece for all of them.

a) Ronon: They reached a deeper understanding. Rodney was able to do something to repay Ronon for all the times he saved his butt.
            b) Teyla: Rodney showed her that he understands her culture and listens when she talks. His knowing about the tea ceremony showed that he wants to honor her traditions. She was touched and surprised and her affection for him grew.
            c) Zelenka: As with Ronon, Rodney showed that he cares about Radek and would risk his own safety to help him. Too bad this didn't carry over in subsequent seasons.
            d) John: Rodney and John understand each other better than anyone else except maybe John and Elizabeth. They don't need to talk about feelings and they both know all the teasing is just guys being friends. I don't think anything changed about their relationship or needed to.
            e) Elizabeth: I think she knows Rodney was teasing about the love thing, and Rodney knows she knows. I see the comfort of a well established friendship between them. The book showed her that in addition to the friendship Rodney also respects her and even though he can't really protect her physically, he is ready to stick his own neck out to protect her reputation.

3) What purpose did Zelenka's serious injury serve in furthering the story?

It showed the seriousness of the device and made us believe that someone could actually die. In addition it showed Rodney's ability to heal and his willingness to use his new powers for good.

4) Rodney's initial reaction to his impending 'death' is to make as many improvements to Atlantis, the Daedalus and other things he can. Why do you think he did this?

He couldn't stop his brain. And he wanted to do all these things before but wasn't able to. Now he is doing all he can as fast as he can.

5) Why do you think Elizabeth became the voice of Reason for Rodney's personal struggles? Why not John, Carson, or even Teyla?

That's her role on the show. It showcased very nicely her leadership skills and her position as the center of the others.

6) John seems rather nonchalant at times about Rodney's impending demise, still needling him even when it's imperative Rodney learn to ascend. Do you think this is just John Sheppard's nature? Those of you who've watched S4/S5--Do you think John would have taken the same attitude after the events of Lifeline?

I think it's John's way of keeping Rodney focused. He knows what works from experience. He's probably screaming on the inside. However, after S4/S5 I think he would have been more serious and probably would not have joked or been so nonchalant in keeping with his new demeanor. In TOR John always circled back to Elizabeth and can be seen looking to her for direction on a number of occasions. For example, at Rodney's bedside near the end when they think Rodney is dying, John looks desperately at Elizabeth as if to say Do something!. But in S4/S5 he would have been on his own.

7) Did you ever feel real fear that we'd lose Rodney at the end of the story? How did you think it would end?

I thought we might lose Radek, but not Rodney. I knew it would all be normal and Rodney would revert to being Rodney.

8) For a writer to effectively convey that a character has gone through an evolution, the viewer needs to feel different about the character even when he seems 'normal'. How did you feel about Rodney in the final scene of TOR? Was he changed in your mind or not?

Yes, I liked him more. It seemed like we got a look into his heart. After this, I felt more tender towards him when he was being snarky. Until S5, that is.

9) Why do you think the writer included the funny conversation about John's desire to try out the machine, even after everything that happened to Rodney?

John tends not to learn from the mistakes of others. He's reckless and ignores his own safety. It's just John being a big kid. And even Radek wanted to try it. Boys.

10) "Tao" is not an easy concept to explain, but in a nutshell, it is 'being in tune with nature and the universe'--essentially finding the path in life that allows one to harmoniously co-exist with the principles that govern the universe. What is the 'Tao' of Rodney? What do you think he had to do to reach that point where he was in harmony with the life around him?

Well I agree with John that it's a bunch of "tree huggy" stuff but I think Rodney tends to fight the world. He tries to make sense of things that are beyond the comprehension of the average person and usually succeeds. However, people sometimes mystify him. Here we saw him reaching out to his friends as never before. Maybe his intelligence and his relationships come into harmony here. When he realized that even as smart as he had now become he couldn't do everything it made him more tolerant of others. Huh? I don't know.

--Sparky sparky bonus!--

John looking at her laptop while she was working and the line about hating it when someone interrupts just when you get to the good bit. There could have been a double meaning there. Hehhehheh.

b) Do you think Damian Kindler has an appreciation for the Sparky relationship, or does he just find John & Elizabeth easy companions to bring about a few laughs?

I think he understood completely their working relationship and how comfortable they were with each other. He is definitely missed in S4/S5.

c) Let's have some fun for a moment--John has no problem edging up to Elizabeth throughout this episode--standing beside her, hovering over her, etc. Sticking with canon (sorry, I'm mean ), why do you think this is?

From day one it seems he was this way. Even in the pilot he sidles up to her and waits for direction. I'm willing to bet he doesn't know he's doing it. He just feels comfortable and she is used to having him there like a good right arm. Thus the huge gap when she's gone. He has noone to bounce off of. Not like that. OMG!

d) What does the lunch scene mean to you in the grand scheme of things? (be as abstract, succinct, fanon or canon as you want).

It shows that they eat together often. They didn't seem awkward or unfamiliar with the ritual of sharing a meal in the least. It was just a normal part of a day. And it's a clear signal to those who insist that they were not friends, never had any interaction outside work, or didn't even like each other. Any ship aside, it was a comfortable scene between two people who were very familiar with each other.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Thanks, but...I'm confuzzled now. Is it 3,000 to get a custom avatar? When I go to my avatar settings, I still only have the options to 1) show no avatar or 2) use one of the custom made ones (there are some nice ones there, actually, like the one I'm now using).

*pouts*
              Hm it was! Is there a space where you can upload your own avatar or link one from some other site? It should be "beneath" those avatars from GW.

Comment

*pouts*
                I think it might take a while for it to be available. Check later. There will be what Anuna said.
                sigpic

Comment

TOR Questions (thank you Eri!)

The characters in the episode each have meaningful scenes. We don't have to see everyone all the time, they are not in every scene, but the scenes they are in, impacted me. Also, I think using Atlantis as the setting, always helps the ensemble eps. We get to see them in their "home" environment, more people can be involved realistically, etc.

a) Ronon - they give each other crap, do the male bravado thing, and god forbid either of them admitting they like each other. However, they'll save each other's butt when the chips are down (and they'll never let each other forget it, either).

b) Teyla - Teyla probably thinks Rodney is too hectic and busy and Rodney probably thinks Teyla is too calm and centered. Not sure how else to phrase their relationship. I

c) Zelenka - Rodney is the big brother that likes to pick on and harass the younger brother, Zelenka.

d) John - College buddies that hang out, even though they drive each other crazy and they give each other crap all the time. They both have enough quirks that have kept them loners most of the time so they put up with each other so they have someone to hang out with.

e) Elizabeth - I've always gotten a sister-brother vibe between these two. Rodney frustrates Elizabeth, but she'll also go to bat for him and helps him to see the redeeming qualities in himself. She encourages him, guides him, channels his energy, etc. Rodney, looks up to Elizabeth and gets frustrated when he thinks she's been sidelined and feels it important to author a record of her achievements. There's also a good natured teasing between the two of them.

3) What purpose did Zelenka's serious injury serve in furthering the story? To add to the danger element and to give Rodney a chance to demonstrate a new superpower.

4) Rodney's initial reaction to his impending 'death' is to make as many improvements to Atlantis, the Daedalus and other things he can. Why do you think he did this? Rodney is Mr. Fix It, Mr. Save the Day, etc. That's his nature, that's what he does. In the face of his pending demise, I think he went on autopilot and felt like he had to solve as many problems as he could, because honestly, no one would ever be able to fill his shoes when he was gone. LOL.

5) Why do you think Elizabeth became the voice of Reason for Rodney's personal struggles? Why not John, Carson, or even Teyla? It would have been too touchy-feely for John. Rodney and Teyla, at that point, really didn't have a really close connection. Carson was too busy trying to find a medical way to save him. I think Elizabeth knows Rodney the best. I think she's been in a position to observe Rodney's struggles for the longest timeframe (because she's known Rodney longer than the others). She's a born diplomat and negotiator, she knows how to calmly reach people and persuade them to see reason and to act in ways contrary to their normal operating procedure.

6) John seems rather nonchalant at times about Rodney's impending demise, still needling him even when it's imperative Rodney learn to ascend. Do you think this is just John Sheppard's nature? Those of you who've watched S4/S5--Do you think John would have taken the same attitude after the events of Lifeline? I do think it is just his nature. I think he needles Rodney to provoke him, to challenge him, to get him to fight back, to be strong for what is to come. I only watched 4 or 5 episodes total in both S4/S5, so I'll stop there.

Nope. Not sure.

I think he grew as a result of his experiences. I don't think I felt he was completely changed.

9) Why do you think the writer included the funny conversation about John's desire to try out the machine, even after everything that happened to Rodney? Honestly? Just for the humor aspect. I don't think there was much more to it than that.

10) "Tao" is not an easy concept to explain, but in a nutshell, it is 'being in tune with nature and the universe'--essentially finding the path in life that allows one to harmoniously co-exist with the principles that govern the universe. What is the 'Tao' of Rodney? What do you think he had to do to reach that point where he was in harmony with the life around him? I think he had to recognize how he treated others, how he treated himself and then make honest efforts to make genuine connections with everyone before he "left."

--Sparky sparky bonus!--

I don't know if I have a most Sparky. I think all of their shared scenes add up to the Sparky. It's a cop-out, I know, but I can't focus on any one specific scene.

I'm not sure if Kindler is a Sparky enthusiast, but he darn well knows how to use the script (along with Joe and Torri's ability to bring in the mannerisms and the chemistry) to show the foundation of it.

I think it shows he is comfortable with Elizabeth. He trusts her and has no problem with her in his personal space and with him being in hers.

It's a visual representation of the fact that John and Elizabeth spend time together away from offices, meetings, conference rooms, offworld missions. To me, it shows they have a connection. Although they were discussing the current emergency, I didn't get the impression this was a "lunch meeting". They were having lunch together and used part of the time to discuss Rodney's situation.
                  sigpic
                  Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                    Hm it was! Is there a space where you can upload your own avatar or link one from some other site? It should be "beneath" those avatars from GW.
                    Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    I think it might take a while for it to be available. Check later. There will be what Anuna said.
                    OH KAY. I have one ready to go, too.

*taps fingers*

*iz no good at being patient*

EDIT: YAY, THERE IT IS!

*proudly displays new Sparky Avatar*

Comment

*taps fingers*

Good things come to those who wait!

Comment

*taps fingers*

OOOHHHH - I likey! I likey a lot.....
                        sigpic
                        Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
                          OOOHHHH - I likey! I likey a lot.....
                          Mmm...thanks. I do graphic design all day in the marketing department where I work, so it's kinda sad I don't have more graphic contributions for Sparkies! I think it's one of those things where you're so tired of doing the work stuff you don't want to do any of the fun stuff.

But I had to do something of mine for a custom avatar! It's only 80x80.

Comment

*taps fingers*

Love it. That's one of my favorite pics of them. It's the adoring wife look.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                              Love it. That's one of my favorite pics of them. It's the adoring wife look.
                              Mine too. I discovered that pic during my "Return" cap session and loved it, especially because of the lighting. --> *iz production dork*

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies!

Congratulations to Eri13 for hitting the big 2,000 posts! Yay for custom avatars!
                                (speaking of which, I still need to resize mine to 80x80!)

Tao of Rodney Q&A coming soon!
                                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Working...
                                X