Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SMB_BOOKS View Post
    Eri13 Wonderful job on the TOR recap! Thank you for your time, attention to detail, and wonderful narrative on these recaps....

I love, love, love TOR. One of my favorite SGA episodes. Funny thing is, I'm not a huge fan of the way SGA tended to focus too much on Rodney (just my opinion), but I absolutely love this eppy. Weird, huh?

I think the reason(s) why I love TOR so much begin with Elizabeth. Elizabeth has a meaningful, genuine presence in this episode. She's NEEDED in this episode and it's not because she's the leader of the expedition. It's because she knows Ancient. It's because she knows so much about their culture and has researched so much about ascension. It's because she's a committed and caring friend to Rodney and is determined to help him see the good qualities about himself, to help him transition to the next thing, to help him grow as a person. That is pure awesomeness and Torri abso-fricking-lutely nails it.

And, of course, I love it because it is an Atlantis based episode. No offworld shenanigans. We get to see the city and some of its hidden treasures and get a bit more insight into the world of the Ancients. Any time we got that, I was a happy camper.

Then there are all the relationship moments. I think I'm most attached to all the scenes Rodney gets with each main cast member to make amends, make peace, clear the air, make the connection, etc. One of the ones that got me the most was the Ronon hug where Rodney takes away his physical scars. These two are always sniping at each other, so I guess that's why this touching moment seems to pull at my heart strings so much, I guess.....And then, the huge book about Elizabeth. Anytime someone champions for Elizabeth, I'm one happy gal!

And, as far as Sparky goes - subtle, natural, free-flowing. A shining example of all the casual moments, those glimpses into everyday life and their comfortable connection and chemistry as co-leaders of this (at times) rag tag group.

I so wish we had seen more episodes like TOR. Not because Rodney was the focus, but because character relationships were the focus, Atlantis was the backdrop and Elizabeth was firmly entrenched in the team dynamic. That's a formula that is made of WIN! (in my completely humble and unbiased opinion )
    Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    I had to quote this because I absolutely agree with every word.
    I second SR. I agree with every word too. Sums up all the goodness about the ep.
    sigpic
    Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
      That was awesome! I think we all had that enthusiasm about the show--for everything it is, it was most of all just fun to be had on a Friday night (or whatever night you put in your DVDs).

Which is why losing those characters, at least in SGA, is so disappointing, because we lost that kind of fun.

I do have to say--one thing I didn't mention in my TOR is how Elizabeth is absolutely loathe to hear about anyone dying. It was nice continuity to see how she refused to hear Rodney's 'lament' on his own death with a "Rodney, don't." She and John were just alike in that respect.
      Exactly. I just finished watching 'Suspicion' (yes, I had a little mini-marathon ) and the scene when the team goes off world after discovering the mainland is a prime example. John's little comment about bringing something back for Elizabeth - a new outfit, flatware... That kind of little remark from John is something we don't really get as much of in S4 and 5. The dynamic with the rest of the expedition changed. He changed. The fun left when Elizabeth did.

And another good point about the ep. More Sparky mirroring.
      sigpic
      Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Eri13, thank you so much for the TOR recap, I enjoyed it so much!
        The dialogue I really like in this episode is this:

SHEPPARD: Look, we all agree the Ancients were pretty screwed up.
        WEIR: We do?
        SHEPPARD: All the ones *I* met were arrogant, condescending – and *not* for good reason. They made giant mistakes and *never* fixed `em.

Just because Sheppard is basically saying that both Chaya and Teer were screwed up, arrogant and condescending
        Makes my shippy heart SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!! in delight

And before I forget, because this is really, really, really important:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOUTHERNRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sig by me

Comment

Tao of Rodney!

You're right, Eri; for all that ToR is supposed to be a Rodney focus episode, it's got a remarkable amount of great moments for Sparky and the ensemble overall. And I agree with your comparison between Kindler and Binder in how they both write episodes that are quite Sparky-friendly and Elizabeth-friendly; that's a nice catch!

We start out with Rodney and the group exploring the recently 'unsunk' areas of Atlantis (slight question--if the Replicators 'repaired' them, wouldn't they look like all the other halls, and not covered in slime? *shrugs*).
          I guess maybe the Ancients from the Tria or the Replicators hadn't gotten around to turning on the automatic cleaning program yet.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii36/ugahill/SGA%20Season%203/taomckay0133.jpg
          Anyone else think it's funny they got summoned over the intercom rather than through their headsets?
          Yes! I have no idea why I found it funny; I just did.

As John and his team go off to save Major Lorne, Elizabeth and Zelenka narrow down the purpose of the machine that zapped Rodney--human genetic mutation. As so often happens in this episode, we see the characters coming to good use, even in smaller moments--for example, here, Elizabeth has been summoned by Zelenka to help him because he appreciates her Ancient expertise, not just because she's the head of the expedition--or the only character available at the time. For me, it seems Tao does this much more effectively than many other SGA episodes.
          Lizzie's mad linguist skillz strike again!

Now, the next scene is one of my all-time faves, and really I'm sticking it in here because we're in the Sparky thread. I bow to Mr. Kindler for putting this in because honestly it's nothing more than a humor moment between John and Elizabeth (and Radek). We don't learn much more about the machine in it.

This scene is one of those I'm referring to above as core Sparky. Joking with each other, reading each other's minds--I always laugh at Elizabeth's exasperated 'yes, you can be next' and John's cutesy smile as he tries to get her to say it.
          Boys and their toys.

With Rodney not overtly concerned about his enhanced powers, he (after stealing a donut from Carson--another funny effect) discovers he can now read minds. In a nice show of continuity, we bring back Dr. Esposito, who seems to be admiring Ronon (okay, what happened to her for him?).
          Spoiler:
          [snark]They recast the actress to be part of Team Barbie in Whispers so they could have her character killed by Michael's abandoned zombies.[/snark]

As I mentioned, nice character flow throughout, and having Ronon 'shadow' Rodney is a nice touch, so we can see more of their relationship. And we get a second pick by Ronon at McKay's weight:

Can I applaud the clever use of dialogue here as well, by wrapping up a joke with Rodney's perpetual love of Batman AND Ronon's sometimes maligned status as a 'chewbacca' sidekick!
          The 'Fatman' line gets me every time I watch this episode!

Remember how I mentioned earlier than John and Elizabeth don't seem to blink an eye in this episode about the time they spend together? Like it's all natural and normal? The next scene is a prime example of what I'm referring to--meal time. It's certainly not an awkward moment for them--they're not acting like two people who've never eaten together before. Though this is the first time we've seen them spend a lunch together, they look like they're sort of accustomed to it. For us in this here thread, it's a very nice scene.
          Ah, the lunch scene. It plays very much like they have a regularly scheduled lunch date... every day or at least once a week. Makes me wonder just how the habit got started...

Interesting to note--John's personality here is lighthearted, even in the face of the danger to Rodney. Do you think John would have been this off-handed following the events of Season four?
          Nope. I think S5's The Shrine gives us a pretty good picture of how John's method of reacting to such a situation has shifted post-Lifeline. There's still the concern, but no more of that lighthearted teasing to break the tension. So the tension just keeps spiraling further downward.

Kindler gets more bonus points from me for including a scene with Teyla. Though she's not had much of a role in this story, it was really nice to see Rodney regarding her as family, and respecting the nature of her Athosian background. With a scene as simple as this, we are reminded why Teyla needs to be in the 'end' scene at Rodney's bedside.
          I LOVED the scene with Teyla; it was just so sweet and out of the blue that it made me smile.

With Elizabeth--well, here is where we get that heart-mind-soul trio I so enjoyed in S1-3, in all their glory. John, Rodney, Elizabeth. For Rodney and Elizabeth, there is the nature of the respect that underlies their relationship, and has been a part of their relationship all the way back to Rising. What's more, Rodney honestly cares about Elizabeth, enough to care about how she is regarded by other people, and to be bothered by it when that regard is negative. 500-pages-long about sums up his feelings. My only regret here? That we never heard tell of that book again.

With John, well, I like how opposite the scene with Elizabeth this is. Rather than going on about how much John means to him (and writing a 500-page novel about it) Rodney simply says 'we're good, aren't we?' To which John responds 'yes'. Not overly maudlin there. But it's enough.
          Heart-mind-soul. That is a perfect way to describe the three of them and the friendship-coworker chemistry they share. *sighs*

Thanks for the wonderful recap, Eri!
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Happy Birthday SR!!! Hope you get spoilt rotten

Eri - what a wonderful recap... somehow I'm gonna have to fit a rewatch of TOR into my very busy schedule... it will fit somewhere.. I'll make it!

The caps/comments have been wonderful - you lot are so talented and witty

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
              Eri13, thank you so much for the TOR recap, I enjoyed it so much!
              The dialogue I really like in this episode is this:

SHEPPARD: Look, we all agree the Ancients were pretty screwed up.
              WEIR: We do?
              SHEPPARD: All the ones *I* met were arrogant, condescending – and *not* for good reason. They made giant mistakes and *never* fixed `em.

Just because Sheppard is basically saying that both Chaya and Teer were screwed up, arrogant and condescending
              Makes my shippy heart SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!! in delight
              Now that? Is just pure, unadulterated EEEEEVIL!!!!

I love it!
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

There's nothing that screams Sparky in any of them, really--but perhaps that's what makes them great.
                I think the Sparky is easy to miss in this episode, but you don't even have to llok very closely to see that it's there. I think it's because instead of having one or two big moments like in "Echoes", it's rather little bits of their special working relationship they share together sprinkled throughout. And while it isn't a main part of the episode, the trust and coleadership between them is not hard to miss and shows through most of this ep.

Like Eri said the tone shifts dramatically throughout this episode and I thought the transitions through the different overall emotions were done well.

While this is a "Rodney episode", I think it encompasses all the characters. It's not just about Rodney, but about his relationships with his friends. I think the story has a lot of heart in it and really has some great developments for Rodney. Ignore the fact this reverts in S4 which is a damn shame but none of that is real. I thought all of his moments with his 'family' were very poignant and memorable.

Comment

Another amazing ep recap, Eri! (tell me when you guys are ready for something similar on "Vegas"I know it's out of schedule... but I think we would have great time comparing and analyzing stuff!)

Aaaah, ToR. One of my personal favorites. *points* That's how you do a character episode - by making an episode about one person you don't forget about, degrade, exclude or wallpaper other people. Meaning, the whole expedition is there, present in Rodney's life. They mean something to him, he has relationships of various kinds with all of them, they're friends, they get mad at each other, annoyed and so on. I think we learned something about Rodney here, but not through his usual sharp & snark, but through other people.

My single most favorite scene is that first hug between him and Ronon, it just makes me melt - because Rodney, despite his oh so obvious arrogance and preoccupation with things, theories and machines rather than people, thought about those scars Ronon has on his back, and probably wondered if the big guy was or still is traumatized by them. Similar thing goes for that book he wrote about Elizabeth. Rodney can't do things small, and I love that about him. It's like "hey, hey, listen, I have something to say". And then, with John we get that simple and still very touching "We're okay?" line. (it could be because guys tend not to be touchy - feely).

The story is good, the writing is smart, dialogues are very good, character moments are among the best in whole five seasons. Acting is brilliant.

And, we get some great sparky stuff of everyday kind. Nothing spectacular or explosive, but I love how that bond between Elizabeth and John is palpable and present. They work together like well oiled machine, as SR would put it, and at this point they predict what other is going to say, ask or do. The lunch scene is made of all kinds of win, because it feels like something they're doing every day. Very married vibe. (gave me a plot bunny too).

All in all, I love that episode. One of the family episodes, and there aren't many. *sigh* I miss my SGA.
                  Last edited by Anuna; 16 February 2009, 08:33 PM.
                  I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                    I think the Sparky is easy to miss in this episode, but you don't even have to look very closely to see that it's there. I think it's because instead of having one or two big moments like in "Echoes", it's rather little bits of their special working relationship they share together sprinkled throughout. And while it isn't a main part of the episode, the trust and coleadership between them is not hard to miss and shows through most of this ep.

Like Eri said the tone shifts dramatically throughout this episode and I thought the transitions through the different overall emotions were done well.

While this is a "Rodney episode", I think it encompasses all the characters. It's not just about Rodney, but about his relationships with his friends. I think the story has a lot of heart in it and really has some great developments for Rodney. Ignore the fact this reverts in S4 which is a damn shame but none of that is real. I thought all of his moments with his 'family' were very poignant and memorable.
                    Exactly! It's there in the background, like beat to the music. You don't listen to it, but it adds to the mixture. If you took it away, we would feel it's missing - actually, just look at S4 and especially S5. It's missing. It's hurts like a phantom limb. You just can't take sparky from SGA.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                      Aaaah, ToR. One of my personal favorites. *points* That's how you do a character episode - by making an episode about one person you don't forget about, degrade, exclude or wallpaper other people. Meaning, the whole expedition is there, present in Rodney's life. They mean something to him, he has relationships of various kinds with all of them, they're friends, they get mad at each other, annoyed and so on. I think we learned something about Rodney here, but not through his usual sharp & snark, but through other people.
                      Yes! This is a great Rodney episode that focuses on Rodney but doesn't degrade him like I hear some of the recent episodes I hear about do. (A friend says Rodney is just mean to Zelenka in S4 and S5.)

I didn't think anyone was wallpapered here except poor Teyla, per usual. But do you know what? Her one personal scene with Rodney was strong enough and her presence was continued throughout the episode and that alone made an impression on me. I'm happy this episode decided to further explore Ronon and Rodney's relationship, something rarely seen unless Ronon is rolling his eyes at McKay; the scene with Rodney healing Ronon's scars is probably one of the most poignant to me.

In terms of the latter part of the episode where Rodney was saying goodbye, I was surprised there wasn't as much interpersonal interaction with Carson and Rodney but I really like the part where he says "thank you" when he's about to die. It's a very touching moment.

I think Kindler knew who Rodney had the best chemistry with an decided to capitalize on it. I think Elizabeth and Rodney have good friendship/platonic chemistry and it really came into play in this episode.

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOUTHERN RED!!! Sorry about missing out on the post-a-thon, my computer was glitching really badly so I had to scan and D-frag my computer all day yesterday But its working fine now and eveything is back in working order Oh another bad news, I can't participate in the post-a-thon next Saturday, I'm going to be very busy so I don't have time, BUT I hope I'll be free for TLG & The Coup episodes but only time will tell

Comment

Voting Link

1. John/Ronon vs John/Rodney
                          2. Carson/Laura vs John/Vala
                          3. Teyla/Ronon vs Elizabeth/Radek
                          4. Teyla/Carson vs Evan/Laura
                          5. Elizabeth/Steven vs Teyla/Evan
                          6. Rodney/Laura vs Ronon/Amelia
                          7. Elizabeth/Carson vs Rodney/Katie
                          8. John/Elizabeth vs Teyla/Kanaan
                          9. Elizabeth/Ronon vs Teyla/Michael
                          10. Elizabeth/Rodney vs Rodny/Jennifer
                          11. Teyla/Kate vs John/Nancy
                          12. Carson/Alison vs Elizabeth/Daniel
                          13. Chuck/Amelia vs John/Teyla
                          14. Ronon/Sam vs Ronon/Jennifer
                          15. John/Sam vs Jennifer/Evan
                          16. Teyla/Rodney vs Rodney/Carson

Comment

My voting duty is done *g*

Comment

Spoiler:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n.../heartshep.jpg

J - Um, Elizabeth, are you sure about this? I mean, it's very generous for you to, uh, loan me to SR for her birthday, but....

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...ersion0425.jpg

E - John, I've explained this a million times. We're taking a picture only. SR gets the picture. I'm the only one that gets you. GOT IT?

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                              I can provide a few suggestions.

What will he be wearing while playing the guitar? Not to be picky or anything. *thinks back to the objectification conversation*

*pouts* But but but, it's my birthday.

The one with Joe in a white sorta plaidish shirt and he's looking at his bracelet in one shot. Lovely.
                              It's your birthday. We can make an exception just this once

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                              Well, there's always cloning...
                              John would be the first to point out that there is always the chance of creating an evil twin. Of course, it depends on your definition of evil

They are continually posted on her thread -- I think its in the fandom section.

Okay I guess I can share my Sparky icon now.

Me likey

Eri13 Wonderful job on the TOR recap! Thank you for your time, attention to detail, and wonderful narrative on these recaps....

I love, love, love TOR. One of my favorite SGA episodes. Funny thing is, I'm not a huge fan of the way SGA tended to focus too much on Rodney (just my opinion), but I absolutely love this eppy. Weird, huh?

I think the reason(s) why I love TOR so much begin with Elizabeth. Elizabeth has a meaningful, genuine presence in this episode. She's NEEDED in this episode and it's not because she's the leader of the expedition. It's because she knows Ancient. It's because she knows so much about their culture and has researched so much about ascension. It's because she's a committed and caring friend to Rodney and is determined to help him see the good qualities about himself, to help him transition to the next thing, to help him grow as a person. That is pure awesomeness and Torri abso-fricking-lutely nails it.

And, of course, I love it because it is an Atlantis based episode. No offworld shenanigans. We get to see the city and some of its hidden treasures and get a bit more insight into the world of the Ancients. Any time we got that, I was a happy camper.

Then there are all the relationship moments. I think I'm most attached to all the scenes Rodney gets with each main cast member to make amends, make peace, clear the air, make the connection, etc. One of the ones that got me the most was the Ronon hug where Rodney takes away his physical scars. These two are always sniping at each other, so I guess that's why this touching moment seems to pull at my heart strings so much, I guess.....And then, the huge book about Elizabeth. Anytime someone champions for Elizabeth, I'm one happy gal!

And, as far as Sparky goes - subtle, natural, free-flowing. A shining example of all the casual moments, those glimpses into everyday life and their comfortable connection and chemistry as co-leaders of this (at times) rag tag group.

I so wish we had seen more episodes like TOR. Not because Rodney was the focus, but because character relationships were the focus, Atlantis was the backdrop and Elizabeth was firmly entrenched in the team dynamic. That's a formula that is made of WIN! (in my completely humble and unbiased opinion )
                              Okay, so what is it now, I fourth this?

Yes! This is a great Rodney episode that focuses on Rodney but doesn't degrade him like I hear some of the recent episodes I hear about do. (A friend says Rodney is just mean to Zelenka in S4 and S5.)

I didn't think anyone was wallpapered here except poor Teyla, per usual. But do you know what? Her one personal scene with Rodney was strong enough and her presence was continued throughout the episode and that alone made an impression on me. I'm happy this episode decided to further explore Ronon and Rodney's relationship, something rarely seen unless Ronon is rolling his eyes at McKay; the scene with Rodney healing Ronon's scars is probably one of the most poignant to me.

In terms of the latter part of the episode where Rodney was saying goodbye, I was surprised there wasn't as much interpersonal interaction with Carson and Rodney but I really like the part where he says "thank you" when he's about to die. It's a very touching moment.

I think Kindler knew who Rodney had the best chemistry with an decided to capitalize on it. I think Elizabeth and Rodney have good friendship/platonic chemistry and it really came into play in this episode.
                              Carson/Rodney fans are probably the only ones who can feel a bit aggrieved in this ep, but I guess it is a factor of time. Then again, I guess they should have brought in Kate to have a word with Rodney too *shrugs*

I'm not so good with the computers, so I have nothing to offer you in terms of birthday treats SR, other than my continued affection Hope you enjoy the chinese food
                              sigpic

Comment

Hey Sparkies!

Got an early Smut!Day fic rec for you:

Distracting, by b_cavis. John wants Elizabeth to focus on something other than work. Not explicit, just very suggestive.

Happy reading!

Comment

Working...
                                X