Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
    Mine too. I discovered that pic during my "Return" cap session and loved it, especially because of the lighting. --> *iz production dork*
    It truly is a beautiful photo and an awesome avatar you made of it...
    Don't worry, I'm also a production dork It's one of the reasons I like(d) JM's blog even though he's anti-sparky.

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
      It truly is a beautiful photo and an awesome avatar you made of it...
      Don't worry, I'm also a production dork It's one of the reasons I like(d) JM's blog even though he's anti-sparky.
      *waves hand* Can I get a 'me three'? I love the film geekage on display (honestly, sometimes my favorite stuff on DVDs aren't the movie, but the behind-the-scenes featurettes), but it's tempered by the unprofessional way that he's handled various issues with fans and cast. Oh well.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
        *waves hand* Can I get a 'me three'? I love the film geekage on display (honestly, sometimes my favorite stuff on DVDs aren't the movie, but the behind-the-scenes featurettes), but it's tempered by the unprofessional way that he's handled various issues with fans and cast. Oh well.
        I'm a sucker for featurettes and especially commentary, and I LOVE production elements like the hows and whys things are done.

But SGA is sort of tainted for me because of all the behind-the-scenes stuff, so I can only listen to the actors commentaries really. I just don't take pleasure in listening to certain people who ended up changing the show in the long run.
        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
          Exactly! It's there in the background, like beat to the music. You don't listen to it, but it adds to the mixture. If you took it away, we would feel it's missing - actually, just look at S4 and especially S5. It's missing. It's hurts like a phantom limb. You just can't take sparky from SGA.
          Nope, but they can try.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
          Spoiler:
          [ATTACH]7927[/ATTACH]
          That brown outfit didn't put him off, so let's see what happens if I wear this sack?

Spoiler:
          [ATTACH]7928[/ATTACH]
          Trust me, he's nothing if not persistant. You may as well just give in now and get it over with. He was even giving me the eye before. I'm 10,000 years old, for crying out loud.

Spoiler:
          [ATTACH]7929[/ATTACH]
          Lets see, we've done it in that room, that one, there too.........

Spoiler:
          [ATTACH]7930[/ATTACH]
          I'm not sure why you are so keen on this retrovirus Carson
          Because it will wipe Michael's memory. Did you read (connor trineer's) his last interview? He said he was in love with Teyla!

Spoiler:
          [ATTACH]7931[/ATTACH]
          :caldwell: The good thing about these flight suits is that they come off really easily. If you'd like a demonstration, be in my quarters at 2200hrs.

Spoiler:
          [ATTACH]7932[/ATTACH]
          She's so beautiful
          I'm sure they weren't listening. All that crucial information, and they were just making doe eyes at each other the whole time
          Those two are SO doing it
          I wonder if I should interrupt them. Somebody has to be concerned about the PG
          Ha! Love the fourth one, and the fifth one was GREAT!

All of these are snurched from Eri's screencaps and ep recap of awesome

[ATTACH]7933[/ATTACH]
          Major Lorne attempts the lick lip, but ultimately proves too slow

[ATTACH]7934[/ATTACH]
          John attempts to undo Lizzie's bra via telekinesis

[ATTACH]7935[/ATTACH]
          I don't need to read minds to know what you're thinking, and now is not the time

[ATTACH]7936[/ATTACH]
          Even after repeated failures at telekinesis, John perseveres

[ATTACH]7937[/ATTACH]
          Lizzie has already mastered this skill, and catches John off guard by removing his pants as he exits her office

[ATTACH]7938[/ATTACH]
          Um Rodney, you healed him 10 minutes ago. Please stop rubbing his chest. It's disturbing

[ATTACH]7939[/ATTACH]
          Aw come on, it's been so long since I've seen 'the girls'. Surely you must have some time to spare

[ATTACH]7940[/ATTACH]
          Ronon double checks for Rodney-cooties

And this one is just for SR's birthday

Spoiler:
          [ATTACH]7941[/ATTACH]
          Here's that contract you wanted SR to sign before you loan John to her
          Rodney, it's 500 pages long, are you sure it needs to be that detailed
          It depends on whether or not you want him back in one piece
          *snickers* Funny.

Okay, I'm gonna quite whining and make myself useful, here's a fic rec: Family in the machine by wanderingsmith. It's a lovely rewrite of Ghost in the Machine, with Shep whump and lots of sparky love. Go for it *g*
          Wow. That was absolutely great! Really, really great. Thanks for the rec!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have reached...

2000 posts!

Yay! Avatars! *runs around screaming*
          Congratulations!
          sigpic
          Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Spoiler:
            Spoiler:
            [ATTACH]7927[/ATTACH]
            That brown outfit didn't put him off, so let's see what happens if I wear this sack?

Spoiler:
            [ATTACH]7928[/ATTACH]
            Trust me, he's nothing if not persistant. You may as well just give in now and get it over with. He was even giving me the eye before. I'm 10,000 years old, for crying out loud.

Spoiler:
            [ATTACH]7929[/ATTACH]
            Lets see, we've done it in that room, that one, there too.........

Spoiler:
            [ATTACH]7930[/ATTACH]
            I'm not sure why you are so keen on this retrovirus Carson
            Because it will wipe Michael's memory. Did you read (connor trineer's) his last interview? He said he was in love with Teyla!

Spoiler:
            [ATTACH]7931[/ATTACH]
            :caldwell: The good thing about these flight suits is that they come off really easily. If you'd like a demonstration, be in my quarters at 2200hrs.

Spoiler:
            [ATTACH]7932[/ATTACH]
            She's so beautiful
            I'm sure they weren't listening. All that crucial information, and they were just making doe eyes at each other the whole time
            Those two are SO doing it
            I wonder if I should interrupt them. Somebody has to be concerned about the PG
            Hee, I love your captions gateraid! I like the second one and the fourth one. And the Woolsey/Caldwell one is funny but disturbing, but it fits so well when you look at some of theose Caldwell/Woolsey Misbegotten screencaps. And number six is so true...

Yes! How on earth can anyone think MCkeller worked better than Sparky, in regadrs to chemistry? Nonononononono!
            I think their love from McKeller stems from their love of Rodney McKay and Jewel Staite. And as we know chemistry isn't their number one concern in creating a relationship. Nor is originality or interest. It's just what they want to see as McKeller is something that they, as middle-aged men, do. It has been speculated that they use McKay to live out their Keller-fantasies, but I wouldn't discount they may be using Keller to live out their McKay fantasies either. o_O

For me it works so wonderfully because it's a deeply human story. i think D. Kindler never lost that from sight, the fact that he was writing about human beings. He let them show emotions and act emotionally about the things that were happening. The story itself is good, but it's a character driven episode. It's mostly about Rodney, but it's about other people too, and through their interactions we get to see what they mean to each other and how they feel about wach other. It was just wonderful to watch it.
            Mental Green. Couldn't have said it better.

I think the luch scene, like you all have said, not only shows how relaxed they (Sparky) are together but it also may indicates that it's nothing out of the ordinary. I also liked the scene with Elizabeth and Ronon where Rodney keeps talking and they are both exasperated. lol.

Comment

CONGRATS Eri on reaching 2000 posts... YEEHAA!!!!

I also only listen to the Actors commentaries... the production guys ones I dont find anywhere near as interesting... too bad there weren't more of them.. the one with Rachel and Torri was just hysterical!

Comment

Questions for Tao of Rodney

1) Why do you think TOR so successfully captured the ensemble feel many fans of Atlantis enjoy? What was it about the story that made it different from some of other 'ensemble' episodes?

Everyone had a part to play that felt like it had a vital role to the story and Rodney's development. Each person they featured was treated like an actual person. There was a genuine feeling of heart to this ep that may have been missing from the other 'ensemble' ones.

2) Describe Rodney's relationship with the following five in your terms:

a) Ronon I think Rodney is slightly intimidated by Ronon and isn't sure quite how to deal with him, but deep down he cares about him as part of his family.
                b) Teyla I think Teyla could be like Rodney's older sister, where there's an age difference of like, ten years (in terms of how they act towards one another). They aren't quite as close to each other as some of the others, there's a formality there, but there's still a family vibe.
                c) Zelenka I think deep down Rodney secretly knows that Zelenka is almost as smart as him, and secretly respects him, but he has a reputation to maintain, so he nags and berates him all the time. But Radek knows that, and puts up with it because he's just nice like that.
                d) John They're just best friends, though they would never admit it. Buddies. They understand each other. They bicker and fight like five year olds, but in the end they'll each be there for the other person. They respect each other. Rodney maybe secretly wants to be like John, and so that could be a reason why he's so snarky with him.
                e) Elizabeth Elizabeth understands Rodney better than anyone else does. She gets him, and she knows how to deal with his blustering and kind of nudge him in the right direction. Rodney looks up to Elizabeth, perhaps because she does have that patience with him, and they both share a respect for the other's intelligence. He's known her longer than most of the other expedition members as well.

3) What purpose did Zelenka's serious injury serve in furthering the story?

To provide a sense of danger and to serve as a turning point in the story's tone, and to give a marker for just how far and how fast Rodney's powers were progressing.

4) Rodney's initial reaction to his impending 'death' is to make as many improvements to Atlantis, the Daedalus and other things he can. Why do you think he did this?

Maybe he had always wanted to do those things, they were on his 'to-do list', but when hears that he's going to die and he won't get a chance he rushes to get as much done as possible. And also, as was mentioned before by Anuna, as a way of leaving something behind and protecting the city when he won't be around to do it himself.

5) Why do you think Elizabeth became the voice of Reason for Rodney's personal struggles? Why not John, Carson, or even Teyla?

It's just a very natural role for her to take. She's the voice of Reason for the entire expedition. And she knows how he thinks and how to deal with him carefully.

6) John seems rather nonchalant at times about Rodney's impending demise, still needling him even when it's imperative Rodney learn to ascend. Do you think this is just John Sheppard's nature? Those of you who've watched S4/S5--Do you think John would have taken the same attitude after the events of Lifeline?

I think that is a part of his personality. That's what he does. It's his way of avoiding awkward, emotional situations. And as for the second part of the question... I don't think he would have the same attitude. I think he's definitely not as carefree as he was. He's more serious, maybe because he realizes now that people closest to him aren't 'safe', that they can be taken from him and they aren't necessarily going to make it out of every situation okay.

7) Did you ever feel real fear that we'd lose Rodney at the end of the story? How did you think it would end?

I don't think there was real fear that he would die (cause he's Rodney, they need him!), but there was a moment when it was like 'Okay, how are they going to get him out of this one?! Hurry up! Think of something to save him quick!' I think I thought that maybe he would ascend and then five minutes later descend and be himself again.

8) For a writer to effectively convey that a character has gone through an evolution, the viewer needs to feel different about the character even when he seems 'normal'. How did you feel about Rodney in the final scene of TOR? Was he changed in your mind or not?

I think there was definitely a warmer feeling towards him at the end, maybe more understanding. You got to see a different side of him and know that he does have some real feelings. He wasn't really changed, he's still Rodney, but you do feel that there are more layers to his personality and he's a more sympathetic character.

9) Why do you think the writer included the funny conversation about John's desire to try out the machine, even after everything that happened to Rodney?

To have a little light-hearted, funny moment.

10) "Tao" is not an easy concept to explain, but in a nutshell, it is 'being in tune with nature and the universe'--essentially finding the path in life that allows one to harmoniously co-exist with the principles that govern the universe. What is the 'Tao' of Rodney? What do you think he had to do to reach that point where he was in harmony with the life around him?

To understand that the people around him are actually people, and that maybe, just maybe, he should treat them less harshly. And maybe to see that he can rely on other people and he isn't alone (even though that's more a Grace Under Pressure observation).

--Sparky sparky bonus!--

a) What sequence in TOR was 'most sparky' in your mind?

Like has been said, there wasn't a standout moment (except for maybe the lunch), it was just a combination of all the little moments. The looks, understanding, and standing and walking side by side all the time. It was all very comfortable.

b) Do you think Damian Kindler has an appreciation for the Sparky relationship, or does he just find John & Elizabeth easy companions to bring about a few laughs?

I don't know what other episodes he did, so I can't say for sure how much he appreciates Sparky overall, but based on just this ep, I think he knows chemistry when he can see it, and knows how to use it to the best advantage of the episode.

c) Let's have some fun for a moment--John has no problem edging up to Elizabeth throughout this episode--standing beside her, hovering over her, etc. Sticking with canon (sorry, I'm mean ), why do you think this is?

Well, like SR said, he's been doing that since the pilot. Maybe it's just habit by now. And they're friends. They don't have a problem being close to each other. It's just a comfortable little routine they've fallen into.

d) What does the lunch scene mean to you in the grand scheme of things? (be as abstract, succinct, fanon or canon as you want).

In the grand scheme of things, it just displays how at ease and comfortable they are with each other. These are two people who like each other's company enough to spend time together when it isn't necessary for their job. It's just so very nice and settled. I believe the married vibe was mentioned before. It looks like they have lunch together all the time!
                sigpic
                Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

I'm a sucker for featurettes and especially commentary, and I LOVE production elements like the hows and whys things are done.

But SGA is sort of tainted for me because of all the behind-the-scenes stuff, so I can only listen to the actors commentaries really. I just don't take pleasure in listening to certain people who ended up changing the show in the long run.
                  I feel the same way. I love all the behind the scenes stuff but I get bored easily when the techie people are blabbing on about the lights etc. And I'm staying far away from spoilers for Universe. I want to give it a chance without knowing anything. Sometimes I think that's why I enjoyed the first half of S1 so very much more than a lot of the rest.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Okay, so...

I was thinking that if they do make a SGA movie, and Elizabeth comes back in it, I have come up with the perfect title for the movie...

Star Gate: Atlantis
                    Weir Back

*drum roll*

*crickets chirp*

*choke stick reaches out and snags Ncc-72452 off of the stage*

Comment

Yay, bigger avatar for the win!

On to the Tao of Rodney Q&A!

1) Why do you think TOR so successfully captured the ensemble feel many fans of Atlantis enjoy? What was it about the story that made it different from some of other 'ensemble' episodes?

Like the other good ensemble episodes, everyone (or nearly everyone... it would've been damn fun to see Kate Heightmeyer in this one!) gets to contribute to the story in a meaningful way that is consistent with their character, like Elizabeth using her mad linguist skillz to help figure out what the ascension machine does. ToR is different in that it's also a character focus episode, so in a sense, we get the best of both worlds (and done far effectively than in The Shrine!).

2) Describe Rodney's relationship with the following five in your terms:

a) Ronon

Rodney may act intimidated by Ronon's physical prowess and condescending of his mind (then again, Rodney does that to just about everyone), but he really does see Ronon as a friend. He was just as worried about Ronon in Sateda

b) Teyla

Though we didn't get to see much of Teyla and Rodney interacting in this episode, the fact that he's gone to the effort of learning about the tea ceremony says that he respects Teyla and her culture. I think he sees her as a sister; perhaps not wanting to be estranged from her as he was from Jeannie for so long.

c) Zelenka

Best frienemies. They really do like and respect each other on a professional level... but they still drive each other batsh*t crazy with their (mainly Rodney's) personality quirks.

d) John

I think Anuna said it best: Brothers.

e) Elizabeth

Rodney deeply respects Elizabeth as a close friend and colleague; he never talks down to her like he does to so many others and clearly sees her as an equal.

3) What purpose did Zelenka's serious injury serve in furthering the story?

Shocking Rodney into awareness that the changes that are happening to him, and the responsibility that comes with them, are not something to be taken lightly.

4) Rodney's initial reaction to his impending 'death' is to make as many improvements to Atlantis, the Daedalus and other things he can. Why do you think he did this?

I agree with the point that Rodney may have wanted to make sure that Atlantis was as well-protected as he could make it in the little time he had left.

5) Why do you think Elizabeth became the voice of Reason for Rodney's personal struggles? Why not John, Carson, or even Teyla?

Again, I think it's the sense that he sees her as an equal and doesn't treat her like a lesser being as he does to so many others. Which means that when she says something, he's more likely to listen... (though, not always *cough*Trinity*cough*).

6) John seems rather nonchalant at times about Rodney's impending demise, still needling him even when it's imperative Rodney learn to ascend. Do you think this is just John Sheppard's nature? Those of you who've watched S4/S5--Do you think John would have taken the same attitude after the events of Lifeline?

John's nonchalantness is, in many respects, just his happy-go-lucky nature. At least, it is at that point in the series. As I said yesterday, I think The Shrine demonstrates quite well that his behavior has changed after Lifeline. He's lost so much in so short a time, that now he is much more serious and proactive in making sure no more friends are lost.

7) Did you ever feel real fear that we'd lose Rodney at the end of the story? How did you think it would end?

Not really. I figured that with Rodney's genius getting boosted, he'd figure out some way to get around it, I just didn't know exactly what he was going to do.

8) For a writer to effectively convey that a character has gone through an evolution, the viewer needs to feel different about the character even when he seems 'normal'. How did you feel about Rodney in the final scene of TOR? Was he changed in your mind or not?

I don't know if Rodney's necessarily changed, per se... but maybe he understands himself in ways he hadn't thought of before.

9) Why do you think the writer included the funny conversation about John's desire to try out the machine, even after everything that happened to Rodney?

Boys will be boys. John's always been a risk taker.

10) "Tao" is not an easy concept to explain, but in a nutshell, it is 'being in tune with nature and the universe'--essentially finding the path in life that allows one to harmoniously co-exist with the principles that govern the universe. What is the 'Tao' of Rodney? What do you think he had to do to reach that point where he was in harmony with the life around him?

Maybe the very effort of having to pull himself away from his regular routine, forcing himself to think about having to let go of his life to reach for ascension, made him appreciate what he has and not to take the people around him for granted.

--Sparky sparky bonus!--

a) What sequence in TOR was 'most sparky' in your mind?

Damn, do I have to choose one? The lunch scene.

b) Do you think Damian Kindler has an appreciation for the Sparky relationship, or does he just find John & Elizabeth easy companions to bring about a few laughs?

Shipping aside, I think Kindler recognized that John and Elizabeth's working relationship, and the on-screen chemistry that JoeF and Torri bring to their roles, would add a great deal of depth to the "Rodney's friends" side of the story.

c) Let's have some fun for a moment--John has no problem edging up to Elizabeth throughout this episode--standing beside her, hovering over her, etc. Sticking with canon (sorry, I'm mean ), why do you think this is?

As others have pointed out, well, he's been sticking to her since the very beginning of the series. The physical closeness is a sign of their mental closeness, their solidarity in taking care of their people, putting that duty above all else.

d) What does the lunch scene mean to you in the grand scheme of things? (be as abstract, succinct, fanon or canon as you want).

That they've become comfortable enough with each other to spend time together in non-work situations on a regular basis. In a way, I see it as an extension of the dinner scene from The Return Part 1, in which they're clearly at ease with each other, enough so to even tease each other in front of their (former) co-workers. Makes me wonder just what else they've been doing in their off-time...
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Ncc-72452 View Post
                        Okay, so...

I was thinking that if they do make a SGA movie, and Elizabeth comes back in it, I have come up with the perfect title for the movie...

Weir Back

*drum roll*

*crickets chirp*

Okay, I'll laugh at that just because I'm such a nice person.
                        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Okay, so...

Weir Back

*drum roll*

*crickets chirp*

LMAO!

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                            Okay, I'll laugh at that just because I'm such a nice person.
                            LMAO!
                            To quote Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins:

"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding. "

Comment

To quote Ra's al Ghul in Batman Begins:

"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding. "
                              Uh oh... should we be afraid?

Comment

Uh oh... should we be afraid?
                                Only of my sense of humor...

You might see more of the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X