No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always love getting a DVD box set of a show I enjoy but haven't seen before.

I remember all the days when I scarf down watching as much Stargate Atlantis or SG-1 as i wanted because I had so many episodes to watch.

Recently I bought the second and then third season of Babylon 5. (I haven't seen further than that). People talked about the show so much I wanted to see what it was like a few months back.

One thing that occurred to me recently was, were Talia Winters and Susan Ivannova supposed to be kind of like the "reverse John and Elizabeth" or something?

By the end, clearly they were close but their scenes together are really quite insufficient to make me think that they were ever actually in a romantic relationship but I've heard from somewhere that they were intended to be in one. And if So, they'd have the opposite "author intent vs onscreen dynamic as Sheppard and Weir. For different reasons obviously, but that did seem like an odd parallel to me.

I've never been one to seriously go along with the whole "John and Elizabeth are actually secretly having sex in the closests this whole time" thing, but I figure that if one can buy Talia and Susan were having sex then one can pretty much just as easily suppose Sheppard and Weir were too.
    Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 01 March 2012, 10:50 AM.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Back when the show was airing in 2004 (I think it was and onward) Elizabeth and John were my favorite characters, well, I like all the characters but the two of them were special and there was something about them that drew me in already from the beginning, then they got rid of Liz and I was not happy about that at all though I kept watching the show but when it got cancelled I kind of shamefully dropped SGA for a while until late last year when they were re-airing the show here and one day I just by accident turned on the TV just as it was starting and I remembered why I loved it in the first place, and this was even after I met Joe back in December 2010, and I did remember that I loved the show but it wasn’t as much as it was until I re-watched the whole show again online, and I decided since John/Liz wasn’t the thing they had in mind that I would try and see it the way that they did intend it to go (though for some reason they didn’t) yet the more I watched the more I realized that it was not working and I was right back to liking Sparky and John and Elizabeth, and to tell you the truth, I really can’t imagine it any other way no matter what the writers and in some extent the cast thought as they were filming it.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      You make some very good observations. It would have been just a hug without the meaningful gazes and the liplicking and his awkwardness. But put all of that together and you get more than just a hug.

Joe has often said that his favorite part of the show was his scenes with Torri because they had substance and were longer than one on one scenes with anyone else. He clearly recognized how well they worked together. It's too bad he thought there couldn't be a romance because she was his boss. But who knows what would have happened in S6.

Mmm, I kind of get that even though it sucks. It also for me feels like a big reason why John was the one who didn’t have anyone in the end (and I know what they said about that if season 6 would come along) but in my slight biased opinion I didn’t feel like it was the same chemistry between him and anyone else, though I think a big reason for that is because there really wasn’t many scenes with him and anyone else, well, at least not when you really got to see him as John and not major/Lt Colonel Sheppard and there was a difference. I can also understand why Joe liked those scenes, while I know he loves the action stuff, sometimes as an actor I can imagine you want to see other sides of the character you play and he really got to do that, I can also imagine that it helps that the person you act against, Torri in this case, is a really great actor as well and who you know and feel comfortable around and who also feel the same way about their character.

It’s sad that it’s sometimes really hard to say in words what it is about Sparky that you like, it’s more the way you feel when you watch the scenes with the two of them together.
      sigpic

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

So, Disneyland was open for 24 hours. I came, I saw, I conquered. Then, I slept. I actually didn't quite make the 24 hours as I didn't get there until 9am, so I missed the 6am opening on the 29th, but I did make it all the way to the 6am closing this morning. Sunrise over Disneyland. What a sight!

Anyway, SR, that new ficlet is AWESOMELY FUNNY! That one's definitely getting saved on my iPad for repeat reading.

And welcome to our newest Sparky, Brie! Hope you enjoy your stay here at the sanest, and zaniest, thread at GW!

Now... maybe a little lunch. And another nap.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Brie View Post
          Back when the show was airing in 2004 (I think it was and onward) Elizabeth and John were my favorite characters, well, I like all the characters but the two of them were special and there was something about them that drew me in already from the beginning, then they got rid of Liz and I was not happy about that at all though I kept watching the show but when it got cancellekkkd I kind of shamefully dropped SGA for a while until late last year when they were re-airing the show here and one day I just by accident turned on the TV just as it was starting and I remembered why I loved it in the first place, and this was even after I met Joe back in December 2010, and I did remember that I loved the show but it wasn’t as much as it was until I re-watched the whole show again online, and I decided since John/Liz wasn’t the thing they had in mind that I would try and see it the way that they did intend it to go (though for some reason they didn’t) yet the more I watched the more I realized that it was not working and I was right back to liking Sparky and John and Elizabeth, and to tell you the truth, I really can’t imagine it any other way no matter what the writers and in some extent the cast thought as they were filming it. O

Mmm, I kind of get that even though it sucks. It also for me feels like a big reason why John was the one who didn’t have anyone in the end (and I know what they said about that if season 6 would come along) but in my slight biased opinion I didn’t feel like it was the same chemistry between him and anyone else, though I think a big reason for that is because there really wasn’t many scenes with him and anyone else, well, at least not when you really got to see him as John and not major/Lt Colonel Sheppard and there was a difference. I can also understand why Joe liked those scenes, while I know he loves the action stuff, sometimes as an actor I can imagine you want to see other sides of the character you play and he really got to do that, I can also imagine that it helps that the person you act against, Torri in this case, is a really great actor as well and who you know and feel comfortable around and who also feel the same way about their character.

It’s sad that it’s sometimes really hard to say in words what it is about Sparky that you like, it’s more the way you feel when you watch the scenes with the two of them together.
          I think you're right about the good acting. Joe always complimented Torri for being very professional, and considering all the famous actresses he has worked with, I think he must really have appreciated that about her. You can tell they admire and respect each other.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post

So, Disneyland was open for 24 hours. I came, I saw, I conquered. Then, I slept. I actually didn't quite make the 24 hours as I didn't get there until 9am, so I missed the 6am opening on the 29th, but I did make it all the way to the 6am closing this morning. Sunrise over Disneyland. What a sight!

Anyway, SR, that new ficlet is AWESOMELY FUNNY! That one's definitely getting saved on my iPad for repeat reading.

And welcome to our newest Sparky, Brie! Hope you enjoy your stay here at the sanest, and zaniest, thread at GW!

You are a wild woman! That makes me tired just reading about it.

Glad you liked the story.
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

You are a wild woman! That makes me tired just reading about it.

Glad you liked the story.
            I'm a redhead. Wildness surprises you?

And I'm still giggling over that story. "You sank my battleship!" AHAHAHAHA! Oh John, you are SUCH a dork!
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
              And this is gonna be a horrible question, but ... where does the lemming reference come from? I honestly don't know!!!
              Do you have a few hours?

Anyway, the short version goes a little like this:

Spoiler:
              Somewhere before the start of season 4 there was yet another uproar about spoilers that were freely available on the net and JM's blog. Some of the fans were not in agreement with how things were going and predicted the downfall of the SGA we had come to love. JM, of course, was not pleased with this and called the displeased fangroup Shrill and Ill-Informed Lemmings. This sparked a whole new group within the fandom who totally ran with it.

I give you The Shrill and Ill-Informed Lemming thread on Gateworld

Anywho...

I'm a member of the Lemming-group - have the badge and title to proof it too.

And then at some point in time it started to lead a life all on its own when in the Teyla/Rachel thread someone started a bit of roleplaying and from there on out I was known as the Lemming, Kate's Lemming to be exact. And that happened because I'm such a big Heightmeyer-fan, always sticking up for the character, loving her, praising her, thunking over her... like a good little fangirl.

So, that's when I became Heightmeyer's Lemming... most of the traits assigned to my Lemming persona go back to the RP in the Teyla-thread - Princess Awinita's doing to be exact.

Sugar makes me happy and bouncy. I love Kate's shoulder (see icon). I happily bounce around the city, occasionally getting into trouble (chewing on Rodney's cables is just way too much fun).

And that's all there is to it realy. It's become an intricate part of my life in the Stargate Atlantis fandom. Much like Jelgate's laws - his fourth law states that you can set your clock to it that I will mention Kate H. at least once every few posts.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Do you have a few hours?

Spoiler:
                Somewhere before the start of season 4 there was yet another uproar about spoilers that were freely available on the net and JM's blog. Some of the fans were not in agreement with how things were going and predicted the downfall of the SGA we had come to love. JM, of course, was not pleased with this and called the displeased fangroup Shrill and Ill-Informed Lemmings. This sparked a whole new group within the fandom who totally ran with it.

Anywho...

And then at some point in time it started to lead a life all on its own when in the Teyla/Rachel thread someone started a bit of roleplaying and from there on out I was known as the Lemming, Kate's Lemming to be exact. And that happened because I'm such a big Heightmeyer-fan, always sticking up for the character, loving her, praising her, thunking over her... like a good little fangirl.

So, that's when I became Heightmeyer's Lemming... most of the traits assigned to my Lemming persona go back to the RP in the Teyla-thread - Princess Awinita's doing to be exact.

Sugar makes me happy and bouncy. I love Kate's shoulder (see icon). I happily bounce around the city, occasionally getting into trouble (chewing on Rodney's cables is just way too much fun).

And that's all there is to it realy. It's become an intricate part of my life in the Stargate Atlantis fandom. Much like Jelgate's laws - his fourth law states that you can set your clock to it that I will mention Kate H. at least once every few posts.
                That thread was indeed fun. I was Grandma Lemming, if I remember correctly. And insulting the fans became an art form with certain executive producers.
                sigpic

Comment

Just got home from the dentist. Had to get a filling. Part of my upper lip and cheek is still numb. Feel and look like I've had Botox.

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                  Aah, our Daily Dose of Sparky! Lizzeh's hair looks darker there ...

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post

I remember all the days when I scarf down watching as much Stargate Atlantis or SG-1 as i wanted because I had so many episodes to watch.

Recently I bought the second and then third season of Babylon 5. (I haven't seen further than that). People talked about the show so much I wanted to see what it was like a few months back.

One thing that occurred to me recently was, were Talia Winters and Susan Ivannova supposed to be kind of like the "reverse John and Elizabeth" or something?

By the end, clearly they were close but their scenes together are really quite insufficient to make me think that they were ever actually in a romantic relationship but I've heard from somewhere that they were intended to be in one. And if So, they'd have the opposite "author intent vs onscreen dynamic as Sheppard and Weir. For different reasons obviously, but that did seem like an odd parallel to me.

I've never been one to seriously go along with the whole "John and Elizabeth are actually secretly having sex in the closests this whole time" thing, but I figure that if one can buy Talia and Susan were having sex then one can pretty much just as easily suppose Sheppard and Weir were too.
                  I've actually never watched "Babylon 5" so I can't answer that question, but the relationship you mentioned is pretty ironic. I think it would be OOC for Sparky to be running around having sex in closets though that doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading about it but it still goes to show how good acting can trump writer's motives.

Back when the show was airing in 2004 (I think it was and onward) Elizabeth and John were my favorite characters, well, I like all the characters but the two of them were special and there was something about them that drew me in already from the beginning, then they got rid of Liz and I was not happy about that at all though I kept watching the show but when it got cancelled I kind of shamefully dropped SGA for a while until late last year when they were re-airing the show here and one day I just by accident turned on the TV just as it was starting and I remembered why I loved it in the first place, and this was even after I met Joe back in December 2010, and I did remember that I loved the show but it wasn’t as much as it was until I re-watched the whole show again online, and I decided since John/Liz wasn’t the thing they had in mind that I would try and see it the way that they did intend it to go (though for some reason they didn’t) yet the more I watched the more I realized that it was not working and I was right back to liking Sparky and John and Elizabeth, and to tell you the truth, I really can’t imagine it any other way no matter what the writers and in some extent the cast thought as they were filming it.

I think you hit the nail on the head! Sometimes, it's not about explaining the dynamics in a relationship and figuring out how it works. It's cliche, but seeing is believing. There are some people I know in RL who, according to pencil and paper, should not be together. But the way they interact makes it obvious that they're the right match.

And it's true. The way we feel watching Joe/Torri acting onscreen, bringing Sparky to life in whatever fashion, it is hard to put words to. That's why vids are awesome.

Welcome back to the land of the living! Sounds like you had fun! But not too much, I hope. Save some energy for us!

I think you're right about the good acting. Joe always complimented Torri for being very professional, and considering all the famous actresses he has worked with, I think he must really have appreciated that about her. You can tell they admire and respect each other.
                  I don't find many casts where in retrospect they are truly appreciative of each other's skills. It's nice to see colleagues who still speak so well of each other after the job is done. Wish my RL was that way.

I'm a redhead. Wildness surprises you?

And I'm still giggling over that story. "You sank my battleship!" AHAHAHAHA! Oh John, you are SUCH a dork!
                  Dork!John for the win!

Do you have a few hours?

Spoiler:

Anywho...

ROFL!!! That's awesomely awesome!!!

Yep. I have a whole new respect for the Lemming. *sets out saucer of sugar*

And on that note, I'm heading to bed. Today's got me whumped! Night!

Comment

That thread was indeed fun. I was Grandma Lemming, if I remember correctly. And insulting the fans became an art form with certain executive producers.
                    *snickers* Oh, poor Auntie ...

And still, look who turned out to be right in the end. *points at us*

Now, I'm leaving. Bye!

Comment

Do you have a few hours?

Spoiler:

Anywho...

Thanks for explaining that. I had been wondering about that myself. *sets out another bowl of sugar*
                      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

I don't actually check her IMDb-page that often so well... I kind of gave up seeing her in any of my shows. Last thing she did TV-wise as far as I know was House a year or so ago. Not seeing her makes me a sad fangirl. I want her in Castle or Leverage, or NCIS or Warehouse 13, or Sanctuary... or something else entirely, as long as she's on my screen it's all good.

Fingerlickin' good!

Fell in love all over again. *happy sigh*
                        I want her back on my screen too If it's because she doesn't want to be, then that's all good. But if it's coz people don't recognise her awesomeness, that's silly *shakes head*

Weir: What? Kate changed her hair again? They only allow a limited amount of beauty products through the gate - how will I keep up? At this rate I'm gonna have to borrow Ronon's wig!

Sheppard: Please don't. Fanfic would explode if that happened Elizabeth

True. And after that he didn't appear as much and eventually they started bringing in other "bus drivers".
                        I think (theorising) that that was more to do with scheduling than anything else. Hard to say. I 'think' they originally intended Carter to be the Apollo commander (the line was 'Carter comes to Atlantis on her own ship'). Bringing in the other ship helped them explain Mitch's absence. Sometime it just plain didn't make sense - like at the end of The Lost Tribe

Maybe. I have a tendancy to clump things together. So whatever my original point is, it's lost now.
                        It's okay. Other people have picked up the torch on that thread. It appears to be melting the ice.

Yup. And what's really disturbing and ironic, now that you bring that up, is that on an episode of X-Files, Amanda Tapping played a character that died shortly after sleeping with Mitch Pileggi's character. *chokes back gag reflex*

I hope that you were still talking about the Carter "map and flashlight" comment.
                        On paper, the BAMSR scene works well. It's just the way Mitch plays it. I've seen him do it in other shows too, and it can be a bit freaky. There's an unintentional vibe that he seems to give off when he's playing "lets be friends"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko86vnfs7lE&feature=youtu.be
                        That made me feel....unintentionally (I assume) sad

Thank you!!!

The song is "Sparks Fly" by Taylor Swift. I love her music, and I love Sparky, and sometimes the two go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

Off to work, be back later. Fics are brewing -- I may have one to post later.
                        Am I alone in thinking she is a little bit crazy? Better Than Revenge is a little bit creepy. Just saying.

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
                        Shep: I'll go to any lengths to stop McKeller!!!

Sheppard: What's your cup size Elizabeth?

Weir: Standard issue i imagine. I got this one from the kitchen

Sheppard: Boobs, Elizabeth. I was talking about your boobs

So, the best laid plans were interrupted. I was poking around on my computer and found an old fiction file from 5, count 'em, 5 years ago. So, as a Leap Day present, I give you an early fic. It's a bit of fun that's slightly cracky about late night gaming on Atlantis. *snort*

Spoiler:
                        Hit! Miss!

<snip>
                        I don't know if she was any good at checkers, but I'm sure they'd try to find out

All my couple has, are looks [sad lemming face]... but apparently Teyla has free access to Kate's room. [happy lemming face]
                        So....the same as sparky then?

Love is....when you cut one, and your significant notices but chooses not to say anything

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post

I've never watched B5, so that bit went over my head. I also don't buy the sex in closets thing, which is why I don't like fics when they do it, but carry on as normal afterwards. Sometimes I wonder if that's why they dumped Weir in s4 - a **** or get off the pot scenario. Maybe they noticed the 'chemistry' and figured they didn't want to do anything with it, so decided to kill Weir off. Or not.

Nice to meet ya Everyone's different with sparky. I noticed 'something' in s1, but didn't actively ship them until later. That said, I got a special shipper satisfaction from The Eye

Do you have a few hours?

Spoiler:
                        <snip>
                        What the.....? How did I not know of this thread? This must've been during my period of unexplained absence

Sheppard: The cranberry scrubs got torn up earlier, Colonel, so they replaced them with these. What of it?
                        sigpic

Comment

I agree with those who said the sex-in-closets scenario was unrealistic. I think we all knew that and never really took it seriously, but it was fun to play around with. The bit of fanon I liked even less was sex on the balcony. I mean, come on, they wouldn't do that. I never much like the OMG!Sex! bits of fics. I like it to happen naturally with more romance than porno movie. Not that I've ever seen one of those. And yes, I am aware of my couple of smut fics.
                          sigpic

Comment

Grandma Lemming ... ... I did not know this. Shame on me!

And well, insulting had become quite part of the back-and-forth-game. In hindsight having been featured on JM's blog in the same sentence as GW user G.o.d (if you know his rep - you might wonder what I was doing there) in not the most friendly of ways... yeah, we played it rough!

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                            Thanks for explaining that. I had been wondering about that myself. *sets out another bowl of sugar*
                            I keep forgetting that not everyone was around during those times.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                            I want her back on my screen too If it's because she doesn't want to be, then that's all good. But if it's coz people don't recognise her awesomeness, that's silly *shakes head*
                            Second that.

Weir: What? Kate changed her hair again? They only allow a limited amount of beauty products through the gate - how will I keep up? At this rate I'm gonna have to borrow Ronon's wig!
                            LOL - Elizabeth with Ronon's wig... *snort*

Sheppard: Please don't. Fanfic would explode if that happened Elizabeth
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming: Please do!

Sheppard: What's your cup size Elizabeth?

Weir: Standard issue i imagine. I got this one from the kitchen

Sheppard: Boobs, Elizabeth. I was talking about your boobs

So....the same as sparky then?
                            Pretty much.

What the.....? How did I not know of this thread? This must've been during my period of unexplained absence
                            Never too late to join the Lemming forces. We had some mad fun.

It's from those days that I Lemming-ized the cast images of Atlantis. But can't post them here cause manips aren't allowed. PM me if you like to see them.

The bit of fanon I liked even less was sex on the balcony. I mean, come on, they wouldn't do that.
                            In plain sight?!? On the friggin' balcony on the main tower....

Comment

In plain sight?!? On the friggin' balcony on the main tower....
                              Well, not exactly in plain sight. It's usually night and they go around the corner or huddle under a blanket...or some such. LOL
                              sigpic

Comment

Well, not exactly in plain sight. It's usually night and they go around the corner or huddle under a blanket...or some such. LOL
                                That can't be comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                                X