Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S-minus 15 minutes!
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      I don't know... I mean, if John can use his mind to turn on a hologram, or fly a puddlejumper or even fly Atlantis itself, then closing a door with his mind really shouldn't be that hard to imagine.

Now, the thing about "talking to Atlantis and Atlantis talks back"... eh, that's a bit trickier. Certainly, when you look at how the Ancients reacted when the human-form Asuran Replicators evolved from the Ancients' Wraith-killing nanites, I'd say it's pretty clear that the Ancients would probably not have been all that keen to put an artificial intelligence in charge of the city. Yet there are other clues that would seem to indicate that Ancient technology isn't totally "dumb" either. One that really sticks in my mind (and probably a lot of other peoples') is that very famous scene from Rising Part 2, where Sheppard and Ford (and a few Marines) are on their way to rescue Sumner, Teyla and the others:

Sheppard just thinks it, and the jumper provides exactly what he needs. Within its capabilities of course. Obviously, the jumpers aren't equipped with Star Trek-style food service units that just beam in the requested food.

In my personal canon, I see Ancient technology as as being "aware" in that it is capable of anticipating the needs and requirements of its users based on previous usage. Basically, Ancient technology/programming can learn and adapt to a certain extent, but at some point, it will always require the input of a human user (either through pushing buttons or a mental interface) before it can fully carry out directed tasks. So, no, Atlantis can't talk back to John. But it can open or close doors when he asks it to. (Unless they're in a lockdown situation like in Hot Zone. )
      I retract my statement. I don't know why the Jumper scene totally slipped my mind while I wrote that. Bad fangirl.

*giggles* And who's laughing now, PTW? Who's laughing? That's right, we are. Neener neener neener.
      SGA-Rising for the win! *high-fives*

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
      Don't get me wrong, I like to read those fics. It's just as soon as they start I to suspend all belief (some more than others). That's what fic is for

I've only read one (?). If I could have seen Jeannie instead of Rodney-in-a-dress it wouldn't have bothered me. That was the odd thing - aside from him being a woman, pretty much everything else was in-character (aside from him being 'too' neurotic).
      That put the fiction in fanfic. That's what's so great about fanfiction: putting what's in your brain on word processor paper leads to endless possibilities.

I think that's another "we don't really know" scenario. My impression was that they got rid of him, and he wasn't entirely surprised by it. I don't mean to sound like I'm ragging on the guy, but my impression was (based on a few of their comments) that he wasn't 'progressing' as they wanted, and probably living the high life a bit too much. I may be way off on this though. It's a real shame, because I think Ford was more like the 'everyman' character than they realised.....and then they killed him.

My understanding is that they had the 'option' to keep her there for another year (s4 SGA/s11 SG-1). It's a bit like having an automatic right of renewal on a lease - it's at the owner's discretion to roll it over.
      So Ford was a red shirt all along? Hmm.

Sheppard: WTF? Didn't friggen General Hammond himself go against orders to rescue you guys? He went off-world (risking a court martial) to find Teal'C to save your asses from Hathor just because it was the right thing to do?

Carter: Yeah, I don't believe this **** either, but this is what the IOA wants, so this is what the IOA gets
      Considering how much Carter butted heads with Weir when the IOA placed her in charge of the SGC, I can't believe she would have gone along with it. But then again, it was her job ... more on this later.

So basically John was the only one who wanted to look for anyone. Carson should've been thanking his lucky stars they stumbled across him
      I felt bad for Rodney when he had to tell Carson, "Yeah, see, well, we weren't really looking for you. The real you is dead. You're a fake you. And you're gonna die any minute, so count your blessings. No more taunting after this." [/snark]

This is one of those "it depends what you want to believe" scenarios. I don't believe he has a 'connection' with the city in the way it is implied during fic, because it seems to be more than what the writers implied. Were it to appear in an episode though, I'd buy it *shrugs*

Universe. He meant that SG producers thought the fans would continue to watch anything they wrote, but fans gave them the finger by not watching Universe.
      It wouldn't surprise me. Though if JoeF said it were so at a con, I'd believe it. Cause who doesn't believe JoeF? He's so nice ... and funny ... and hawt ...

*flails and reminds self to start talking about Sparky again*

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
      Great! The sooner the better!
      Snicker, snicker. Keep your shirt on, it'll be here when the fic bunnies bring my laptop back!

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
      When Woolsey first took over and couldn't get out of the conference room, I always thought John had locked him in.

Sheppard: And since when have you started being the IOA's pet?

Yeah, I'm still bitter. And frankly, I think Sheppard should've been more bitter too. But Joe did the best he could with the crap writing he was given.
      Oh great. Angsty Shep fic prompt. The bunnies thank you. I hate you.

To hear some of TPTW talk, they never implied Sparky either. But you still accept that Sparky exists.
      "We Spark, therefore we are."

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
      Which is the inherent flaw in the arguement - Carter is first and foremost a military officer, it's just the her current billet is Atlantis. At least doing some recon would've made sense, and probably satisfied everyone. It could have even been something off-screen.
      I was upset at how quickly they dropped that storyline until TMC. Suddenly, attention shifted to the Athosians and Teyla's pregnancy. John's response (and the wooby face) is still heart wrenching for me to watch.

*deliberate repost*

Originally posted by Brie View Post
      One can only guess with this one...cute though, love background Sparky almost as much as seeing them upfront.

John, you don't have to hold my hand on offworld missions. No one is going to kidnap me.
      Sorry, 'Lizabeth, new procedure. Any civilians on the missions not attached to the team have to hold the hand of the team leader.
      Does Radek know that Lorne will be holding his hand when they go to check on the kids?

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday! And... S-minus 4 hours and 8 minutes to our Poisoning the Well post-a-thon!

Agreed. I totally want to make some sort of reference to that in Atlantis Rising, have someone criticize how things were handled. *evil grin*
      Ooh, can't wait!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
      I'm back from vacation!! And I've got like 15 pages to catch up on. And quite frankly, I'm more inclined towards a nap at the moment. But I just HAD to respond to this one before I go sleepy.

MATH BOY!!!!! OMG!! Any of you who know me outside of GW know I'm always "mathgirl24" as I was a math major. He could be the math boy to my math girl. *Happy sigh*

Anuna, you have made me so happy.
      *hugs mathgirl* Welcome home, honey! Sorry the weather wasn't the most accomodating for you. Ready for the post-a-thon???

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      Great minds do indeed think alike.

Not so fast my friend. I think "wordgirl" might complement "mathboy" a lot better. Hmm? Actually, that would be a good call sign for Elizabeth.

And welcome back.
      A comic book for the Athosian kids: The Adventures of Mathboy and Wordgirl. Disclaimer: this is a work of fiction, not in any way based on Colonel Sheppard and Doctor Weir. Heh.

And... S-minus 2 hours and 50 minutes until Poisoning the Well!
      YAY!!!

Comment

On the other hand, if Joe can manage to get himself (and maybe David Hewlett) in as an executive producer, well, as we say, In Joe We Trust.
        That we do. I feel that if they did something with Stargate and especially SGA in the future then hopefully they will really sit down and think it through and maybe even hire some new BTS people to work on it, now that also depends on what it is they would want to do, the bigger the project would be the more of a challenge obviously. It also depends on the timing, I mean they have all moved on to other things and who knows if it happens 10 years down the line would even want to come back, no matter how much they loved working on the show. Though like you said, maybe with Joe and David having a more active role in things they could create something great. I know Joe said when he was in England last year that they wanted/were planning to do something with the cast even if it wasn't SGA related so who knows if something will happen with that, though yesterday he mentioned that he and Jason will be doing something which I'm a bit curies about.
        sigpic

Comment

S-minus 10 minutes!
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
            Oh great. Angsty Shep fic prompt. The bunnies thank you. I hate you.
            I aim to misbehave.

"We Spark, therefore we are."
            Word!

John, you don't have to hold my hand on offworld missions. No one is going to kidnap me.
            Sorry, 'Lizabeth, new procedure. Any civilians on the missions not attached to the team have to hold the hand of the team leader.
            Does Radek know that Lorne will be holding his hand when they go to check on the kids?
            *dies laughing*

And... S-minus 5 minutes! Who's ready for today's post-a-thoning snarkfest?

Comment

I aim to misbehave.

Word!

*dies laughing*

And... S-minus 5 minutes! Who's ready for today's post-a-thoning snarkfest?
              Me, me, me!

Brie, you hanging around for this?

Comment

S-minus 3 minutes!

Comment

I'm ready, I just have to press 'play' in 3 minutes.
                  sigpic

Comment

S-minus 2 minutes!

Comment

I'm watching my DVD with subtitles ... Hee hee hee!

I'm not Deaf, but I love watching captions! Probably cause I'm so wordy ...

2 minutes!

Comment

S-minus 1 minute!

Comment

On the other hand, if Joe can manage to get himself (and maybe David Hewlett) in as an executive producer, well, as we say, In Joe We Trust.
                          Just a quick one before we start.

I'm not sure I do trust him when it comes to ship. We may have to watch something that burns our retinas.
                          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

It's Daylight Savings next weekend? Holy crap!

Comment

Everybody hit PLAY!

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                                Just a quick one before we start.

I'm not sure I do trust him when it comes to ship. We may have to watch something that burns our retinas.
                                Not if we get to him first.

Comment

Working...
                                X