No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried posting from my phone earlier at work and it went bonkers on me ... So now I'm sneaking into Starbucks with my iced vanilla coffee.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
    Actually I haven't worked for the paper since 2003.
    The crossover my muse as abadoned me on, isn't Sparky persay, I just work it in when and where I can. It has more to do with the two OCs I created for it. The more annoying part is while I can't seem to find a way to complete the chapter I'm on, I keep coming up with ideas for more chapters.
    That happens to me a lot too. There was a story I had an idea for, and one of the chapters came to me very vividly in a dream, so I went ahead and wrote that one, but after I actually made up an outline for the story, it became the 2nd chapter. Sometimes, outlines are great, and then the fic bunnies return from hibernation and shoot it all to heck.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
    It's interesting (to me) to read the blurb for this ep.

When the Atlantis team is ambushed by the Wraith on an off-world trip, Dr. Weir begins to suspect that one of the Athosians is actually a Wraith spy. Despite the disapproval of Teyla and Sheppard, she confines the Athosians to the south side of Atlantis and interviews them. But when the interviews take on an accusatory tone, growing tensions cause a mass exodus of Athosians from the city.

This ep was intended (remember this is early s1, where Weir was meant to be the lone authority figure, and somewhat more clinical in her approach to things) as Weir vs Sheyla. Teyla and Sheppard should have been brought closer together after this ep, whether that was via his stoic defence of her and the Athosians throughout the ep, or via his comforting of her when they left. So, it failed on those counts, but at five eps in, the relationship misstep shouldn't have been fatal.

Teyla stayed because ultimately she believed in the cause. What a pity this wasn't elaborated on. Imagine the potential gold (relationship, or gen story) of a scene where Teyla tells Shep she doesn't know whether to go with the Athosians, and is torn between what she believes is best for her people and people in general (staying on Atlantis and killing the Wraith) or what is best for her 'position' (going with the Athosians and remaining their leader), with him telling her that that is basically the premise of their entire expediton (the betterment of mankind).

Bates was used as a relatively small sheyla anvil in this ep. It's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it. Not much, as it turned out. The "personal feelings" line is practically a red herring. Feelings over right and wrong (the treatment of Teyla by everyone else), or romantic feelings? You could argue either way here because it was never elaborated on. Bates was out of line (for his borderline bigoted behaviour, his disrespect to his CO, and his lack of contrition when it turned out he was wrong) in his behaviour, but he was right to be suspicious. Still, I appreciated that the writers had attempted to bring in a bit more conflict than they had seemed to be willing to do with SG-1. Here, it isn't a he's right/you're wrong situation, there's a bit more grey.

The Athosian culture seemed at that stage (what happened during s4??) to be based partly on spirituality, and reverence towards the Ancients. I guess it's understandable that they would be aghast when the member of the expedition didn't hold the Ancients, or their customs, in the same regard - even to the point of living in their city as if it were their own. How the Athosians must have laughed when the Ancients came back and booted them out of the city. Even that is another missed opportunity - the Athosians chiding Teyla over her decision to stay with the Terrans, whom the Ancients deemed unworthy to stay in the city upon their return.

I thought they were being deliberately vague as to the leadership of the Athosians after they left the city. For practical purposes, it would have been Halling. I guess Teyla would have just been a figurehead from that point onwards, or more like the Chairman of a corporation - involved in governance but not management. I don't think we were meant to think that deeply about it, we were just meant to accept that they'd gone and would come back sporadically (when the script deemed it neccessary). They never seemed to have a firm grasp of who the Athosians really were - be it culturally or otherwise. There was a scene in Hide & Seek that made me laugh. Teyla lights the candle from the other side of the room, and the VFX looks decidely like a phaser. Huh? How can you make an energy based tool with enough precision to shoot something as small as a wick, yet not think it might make a nifty 'gun'?

Any other comment I make (specifically the tone of the interviews, and the John/Elizabeth/Teyla dynamic) would risk being even more inaccurate than what I've mentioned above
    Okay, cursing is not really a regular part of my vernacular just subtext of every minute of every day, but what the hell?!?! That blurb makes Elizabeth out to be a villain! I just ... gah.

I almost wonder if, for the first season, they wrote using the Voyager theory. Basically, we're the primary representatives of our agency/planet out here, with no contact with HQ, so let's frak things a little more than we would if we were stil under the careful eye of the IOA and the SGC. Ergo, we get grey insteado f black and white. I would imagine if the IOA had a hand in the whole "Suspicion" thing, they would've been all over them like white on rice and not even have given Elizabeth a chance to do anything before they sequestered her in her office.

But like I said. IMHO.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

On the fic front, the muses have abandoned me again. Argh.
    *sporks fic bunnies ... if I could find them*

Curious. Where did this this blurb come from? I didn't look too closely at the summary on the Blu-ray, but I'm pretty sure the inaccurate "disapproval of Teyla and Sheppard" part isn't there. Looks like someone at MGM was paying attention when they made up the new disc menus.

At least we finally started covering those issues in Atlantis Rising. Better late than never, right?
    The correct blurb would read, "Pressured by Bates, Weir reluctantly agrees to confine the Athosians." Again, why do I not work for these people? Oh yeah. Cause I'd be out of work right now.

I vaguely recalled there was a bit of a throwaway line about that in The Return Part 1, so I dug around in the transcript and found it in the scene where Teyla and Ronon check on Sheppard while he's packing to leave:

SHEPPARD: How’s that going, by the way? Are the Ancients allowing the Athosians to stay on the mainland?

TEYLA (smiling ruefully): They have found a suitable planet for us to relocate to -- one with our own Stargate.

SHEPPARD: How’d that go down?

TEYLA: It was not the homecoming of the Ancestors my people envisioned.

Ouch. Sounds like there's some hard feelings to be had on that score.
    Well, even from what Halling said to Teyla, about the Expedition not being the Ancestors, no matter how much she wanted them to be, we know Teyla had high hopes. They put the Ancients, and by extension, anyone who had the resources to run Atlantis, up on a pedestal. John has the stinkin' gene needed to run Atlantis, for crying out loud! If this is an opportunity that Teyla has been holding out for since she was young, then it only makes sense that she would latch onto them. Even realizing that, they're not perfect, she would still feel torn between this ideal that she's been waiting on her whole life. It's tough to admit that you might be wrong about something you've wanted for so long.

[/rant]

Mmmm, coffee.

You're tellin' me! I'm using the caffeine, and free refills, to finish up my fic. Which I have a confession about ... I'm actually writing smut for the first time. And the sad thing is? It's rather easy! Give me a few minutes, and I'll have it posted ...
    Last edited by ShipperWriter; 23 February 2012, 12:14 PM. Reason: Smaller picture

Comment

just finished chapter 23 ODAD after reading the entire thing again just to catch up and this was a very interesting story using Atlantis characters (and SG-1 Characters) in an earth-based environment. can't wait for the final chapter, SW.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
        I tried posting from my phone earlier at work and it went bonkers on me ... So now I'm sneaking into Starbucks with my iced vanilla coffee.
        Hee! I just love that smilie. Lizzeh looks so cute sipping on her coffee!

Okay, cursing is not really a regular part of my vernacular just subtext of every minute of every day, but what the hell?!?! That blurb makes Elizabeth out to be a villain! I just ... gah.

I almost wonder if, for the first season, they wrote using the Voyager theory. Basically, we're the primary representatives of our agency/planet out here, with no contact with HQ, so let's frak things a little more than we would if we were stil under the careful eye of the IOA and the SGC. Ergo, we get grey insteado f black and white. I would imagine if the IOA had a hand in the whole "Suspicion" thing, they would've been all over them like white on rice and not even have given Elizabeth a chance to do anything before they sequestered her in her office.

But like I said. IMHO.
        It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. Of course, we still got the shades of gray issues in Season 2 and beyond, even with the IOA/SGC breathing down Atlantis's neck, which made some things (Project Michael, et al) look really whacked out...

The correct blurb would read, "Pressured by Bates, Weir reluctantly agrees to confine the Athosians." Again, why do I not work for these people? Oh yeah. Cause I'd be out of work right now.
        No, the correct answer is that if you worked for them, you'd have taken over by now and the show would still be on.

Well, even from what Halling said to Teyla, about the Expedition not being the Ancestors, no matter how much she wanted them to be, we know Teyla had high hopes. They put the Ancients, and by extension, anyone who had the resources to run Atlantis, up on a pedestal. John has the stinkin' gene needed to run Atlantis, for crying out loud! If this is an opportunity that Teyla has been holding out for since she was young, then it only makes sense that she would latch onto them. Even realizing that, they're not perfect, she would still feel torn between this ideal that she's been waiting on her whole life. It's tough to admit that you might be wrong about something you've wanted for so long.

[/rant]
        This isn't the last time we get the "Teyla's disappointed in John/the Lanteans because they're not like the Ancients she's idolized" vibe, either. There's a very telling moment later in S1 during Letters From Pegasus where it seems the blinders have finally been torn off Teyla's eyes. But we'll talk more about that when we get to the viewing/discussion of LFP.

Wench.

One more hour 'til my Frappuccino break.
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
          just finished chapter 23 ODAD after reading the entire thing again just to catch up and this was a very interesting story using Atlantis characters (and SG-1 Characters) in an earth-based environment. can't wait for the final chapter, SW.
          Thanks! I can't wait for it, either.

Hee! I just love that smilie. Lizzeh looks so cute sipping on her coffee!

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. Of course, we still got the shades of gray issues in Season 2 and beyond, even with the IOA/SGC breathing down Atlantis's neck, which made some things (Project Michael, et al) look really whacked out...

No, the correct answer is that if you worked for them, you'd have taken over by now and the show would still be on.
          Thanks for the confidence vote! Haha!

This isn't the last time we get the "Teyla's disappointed in John/the Lanteans because they're not like the Ancients she's idolized" vibe, either. There's a very telling moment later in S1 during Letters From Pegasus where it seems the blinders have finally been torn off Teyla's eyes. But we'll talk more about that when we get to the viewing/discussion of LFP.

Wench.

One more hour 'til my Frappuccino break.
          Oh! And here I thought we were friends.

Back to work on story, almost done.

Comment

Thanks for the confidence vote! Haha!
            What can I say? The fact is, any one of us would have been so much better for SGA than TPTW.

Oh! And here I thought we were friends.

Back to work on story, almost done.
            Of course we are!

Muses still AWOL. Working on Atlantis Rising background worldbuilding stuff instead.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

What can I say? The fact is, any one of us would have been so much better for SGA than TPTW.

Of course we are!

Muses still AWOL. Working on Atlantis Rising background worldbuilding stuff instead.
              Oh, well. They'll be back soon, and if not, we'll post missing posters.

Speaking of missing muses, mine has taken a half hour break. Do you realize how hard it is to write smut while you're watching "The Big Bang Theory"? It's not hard. It's impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                Joe did say that didn't he? And he's oh so correct. But my question is why didn't the writers look at that and build on it? They claimed they couldn't figure out what to do with the Weir character. Well, Torri certainly had plenty of ideas. Why not listen to her? And don't even get me started on the way they wasted Sheppard.
                It's funny though, they say they didn't know what to do with her, but if they'd looked back at s1 eps, they might've had a better idea. They did seem to make a better fist of including characters back then, without making it look like they were inserted for the sake of it. To me, whilst I like the idea of Teyla training Elizabeth, that seems like something which is 'inserted' into the show, rather than something that happens throughout the course of an ep (like the scenes in The Storm with Weir helping Rodney to deactivate the first grounding station, and the one in the lab with Sora).

Speaking of characters who understood each other. What about John and Ronon? I know we'll talk more about them when we revisit S2, but for 2 guys from different galaxies, I thought they meshed pretty well. It must be a guy thing. Bonding over beer, playing sports. Yet when offered, Teyla went out of her way to avoid playing golf with John. I don't get how you could be writing 2 people as romantically interested in each other and have her seem so disinterested in his hobbies. *scratches head* Yet Elizabeth declares herself not a fan of football and we still see John taking every opportunity to just stand next to her on the balcony or sit on her desk for no good reason. Hello writers! Here's your sign.
                She did declare herself not to be a fan, but she did it whilst pointing out that she would like to be invited next time. I don't see Teyla avoiding John's golf as a big deal in Sunday, given that Ronon was trying to get out of it too (not to mention that everyone was doing the same thing to Carson). However, if he had only asked her, then she could have gone on the proviso that he did something that she liked (I don't know, perhaps she could have taught him to mediate...oh, wait, she did that with Ronon )

Your recollection is very good. I just saw it on Sunday and can't remember half of it. That little blurb is also very interesting, and somewhat inaccurate. It reminds me of the discussions of some of the TV Guide blurbs that were so very misleading. Like the one for Conversion talking about how Teyla and John's relationship was going to "change." LOL That one gave me a good laugh.
                Given how they envisioned the Weir character, it's not really all that surprising. And I guess it's accurate for part of the episode at least. The two pics included for Rising are lol-tastic - Sumner and the Wraith look like they've been interrupted in the middle of an S & M session, and I've no idea whom Sheppard is with in his picture (she's presumably an Athosia, but the leather coat is rather odd).

Anyway, as we discussed earlier, the opinions of various characters changed like the wind in this ep. John first supported Teyla and was a bit irked at Elizabeth for the questioning and so on, but later he took her side and told Teyla in no uncertain terms that he supported Elizabeth's decision. Seems like to me if they wanted a romance to bloom, this was the exact opposite of what they should have done. It was like they kept trying to point us toward Sheyla, but nobody was buying it. After a while, it's like they just forgot it. And, from what I hear, Joe and Rachel were never looped into their plans. Maybe that explains why John and Teyla seemed to ignore each other for most of S2. Just my opinion as a viewer, of course. I know others think differently and I'm okay with that.

You are right on all counts that they dropped the ball on Sheyla here. Where were the little secret looks between them confirming the "personal feelings" comment? Why did they have the scene with her telling Elizabeth she agreed with her and understood her decision? Shouldn't that have been a Sheyla scene to confirm the coming "romance?" Bates was indeed a big 'ol Sheyla anvil, if you chose to view some of the things he said as foreshadowing, but after he's gone, nobody else takes up the cause. Bad writing if that's your intent.
                BW's "there is no ship on SGA" turned out to be a mistake. It's obvious it was meant to be Sheyla, and the likelihood is that they would have gotten together nearer the end of the show's run. But if they'd run with the idea, subtlely, then lines like "personal feelings" might've made a bit more sense. As it turned out, there was no ship between the original characters.

And then they cried that they couldn't make conflict between Sheppard and Weir. Well, how about having him stick up for Teyla against Elizabeth a bit more, making it obvious that she was a priority for him. The blurb for this ep makes out that was their intention, but.....

The Athosians were becoming a writing problem, I think and needed to be dispensed with until needed. But their culture was clearly defined in Suspicion and again in CM and in bits and pieces here and there. They were, as you said, spiritual and thought highly of the Ancestors. I'm wondering if the way they were treated in Return I might have changed that. Again the writers dropped the ball. From Hide and Seek we learned they have family units and don't necessarily adhere to the "it takes a village" philosophy because we saw them huddled with their immediate family groups and clearly defined as "Father/Son" units. I'm thinking marriage was sacred and children were welcomed. In some cultures just sharing a tent with someone is as good as a marriage ceremony, so maybe that's the case here. Though, as structured as they were with tea ceremonies and death ceremonies, I'm thinking there would be some sort of wedding. In TOR, Teyla mentions the Athosian Counsel, so that adds a bit to the idea of the leadership of the group. But we never learn more.
                Relocating the Athosians probably saved them a bit of money on extras too I found part of the problem with figuring out who the Athosians were was related to Teyla - she fitted in so easily with the Terrans. So, she was either incredibly adaptable, or their culture wasn't a huge leap away from any of the expedition member's. Replace their reverence to the Ancients with God, Bhudda, Allah, and that doesn't sound like such a stretch.

And yeah, they have that little bit of technology left over from the glory days, but still live in tents. Logic was a mystery to these writers.
                We never found out what the deal was with that city in Rising either. It looked suspiciously like an Ancient one, although I'm not sure that was their intention. It's drawing a long bow, but perhaps their reluctance to live in Atlantis without the Ancients was bourne out of living in the Rising city and it ending in disaster. Or, maybe it was their own, and they figured building it turned out to be like having a giant bullseye on the planet.

I drink my morning coffee from a mug that says "I love flavored tea, as long as the flavor is "very strong coffee." LOL My coffee is a 50/50 mix of hazelnut and hazelnut decaf at the moment, and I also like many other flavors. I grind my own beans and drink about 7 cups. There's no hair on my chest, yet.

I do love herbal tea, but that's for the afternoon. I don't claim that either one of them helps me think clearly.
                That sounds a bit complicated for me

Curious. Where did this this blurb come from? I didn't look too closely at the summary on the Blu-ray, but I'm pretty sure the inaccurate "disapproval of Teyla and Sheppard" part isn't there. Looks like someone at MGM was paying attention when they made up the new disc menus.
                It's from the leaflet contained in my s1 box set, which was bought when the show was airing.

I vaguely recalled there was a bit of a throwaway line about that in The Return Part 1, so I dug around in the transcript and found it in the scene where Teyla and Ronon check on Sheppard while he's packing to leave:

SHEPPARD: How’s that going, by the way? Are the Ancients allowing the Athosians to stay on the mainland?

TEYLA (smiling ruefully): They have found a suitable planet for us to relocate to -- one with our own Stargate.

SHEPPARD: How’d that go down?

TEYLA: It was not the homecoming of the Ancestors my people envisioned.

Ouch. Sounds like there's some hard feelings to be had on that score.
                Ouch indeed
                Last edited by gateraid; 23 February 2012, 06:46 PM. Reason: correcting quote tags
                sigpic

Comment

*drags feet and walks into thread*

OMG. I actually did it.

SMUT WARNING: "Worker's Comp"

Once the smut bunnies got ahold of it, the original idea kinda flew out the window. At 11 pages on MSWord, I think it's the longest oneshot I've ever written.

Enjoy! And warning, yes, not for kiddies.

*passes out*

Comment

That happens to me a lot too. There was a story I had an idea for, and one of the chapters came to me very vividly in a dream, so I went ahead and wrote that one, but after I actually made up an outline for the story, it became the 2nd chapter. Sometimes, outlines are great, and then the fic bunnies return from hibernation and shoot it all to heck.
                    Fic bunnies. Can't live with them. Can't shoot them.

Now while I wait for my fic bunnies to return from their vacation, I'm contemplating creating a Mandogater's Encyclopedia of Stargate Military Biography.
                    I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

OMG. I actually did it.

Once the smut bunnies got ahold of it, the original idea kinda flew out the window. At 11 pages on MSWord, I think it's the longest oneshot I've ever written.

*passes out*
                      Wow!! Great story SW!! You really give new meaning to the phrase worker's comp!
                      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

OMG. I actually did it.

*passes out*
                        I picked out a bunch of favorite lines as I read, but this one stuck with me.

His eyes had darkened to a color she didn’t even think had a name

I only have one complaint. They would so not be going to sleep at this point in time. *snerk* Good first effort. I hear things get better with practice. *hints*
                        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Ugh. I've been sitting in a windowless room for 2 hours while my student takes a practice writing test because he's allowed extra time. The battery on my netbook is almost dead, and I was in the middle of watching "Doppelganger" when I realized only half of the episode is loaded. *headdesk*

Add in my phone not being cooperative, and I'm grumpy.

Wow!! Great story SW!! You really give new meaning to the phrase worker's comp!
                          Hee hee! Thanks!

I picked out a bunch of favorite lines as I read, but this one stuck with me.

His eyes had darkened to a color she didn’t even think had a name

I only have one complaint. They would so not be going to sleep at this point in time. *snerk* Good first effort. I hear things get better with practice. *hints*
                          Thanks! *squees* I'll just have to write in an extra scene, I guess.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Oh, well. They'll be back soon, and if not, we'll post missing posters.

Speaking of missing muses, mine has taken a half hour break. Do you realize how hard it is to write smut while you're watching "The Big Bang Theory"? It's not hard. It's impossible.

OMG. I actually did it.

*passes out*
                            WHOO, BABY! Talk about John and Lizzeh having some good, clean fun! Those two naughty kids. RAWR.

Fic bunnies. Can't live with them. Can't shoot them.
                            Too true.

Now while I wait for my fic bunnies to return from their vacation, I'm contemplating creating a Mandogater's Encyclopedia of Stargate Military Biography.
                            Hee! That sounds heavy.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

WHOO, BABY! Talk about John and Lizzeh having some good, clean fun! Those two naughty kids. RAWR.

Too true.

Hee! That sounds heavy.
                              *bows*

Between all of y'all enabling and supporting my endeavors, I may start going off on a tangent. Though, that wouldn't be such a bad thing, right?

All right, I suppose I should do some actual work ... even if it is a Friday!

Comment

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't been around. I'm getting ready for my trip to San Diego. We're leaving tomorrow for a week. Exciting!! It's not going to be terribly warm there, but there's snow here so it will be an improvement.

Since I'll miss the Childhood's End post-a-thon, let me give my comments now:

This episode is stupid.

Ford giving kids chocolate is cute.

Kids hitting Rodney is funny.

This episode is stupid.

John and Elizabeth are hot.

This episode is stupid.

Have a great week, everyone!!! Don't burn down the thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X