No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    So, the Hide and Seek post-a-thon went well. Now who has a question?
    I do!

Early on in SG-1, the Ancients were largely portrayed as a great paragon of civilized virtue. Yet in Hide and Seek, we begin to see (both on SGA and SG-1) a not-so-nice side to the Ancients, with them capturing "primitive" life forms for study and then abandoning them with nary a thought for 10,000 years. And that's just the start of it, as we were to discover in later episodes. Were any of you disturbed by what we discovered about the Ancients in this episode? What do you think the characters thought about it?

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
    I was responding to this thread on my phone when the assistant principal walked in. It disappeared quickly.

Anyhow, found this while reading the news. Slightly OT, but quirky for us as we like SGA soooooo much!

Google Earth Update Quashes Atlantis Rumors
    Sure, that's what the IOA told them to say.

And then there was a bit of flurry over the weekend about a group of Russian scientists studying a subglacial lake in Antarctica that hadn't been heard from in days, right before they were supposed to get out before the Antarctic winter set in. Apparently they're okay and all is well... But then, maybe that's what the IOA wants us to think.

Russian Scientists reach buried Antarctic Lake Vostok

I don't know when it actually airs. S2 is on now on PBS, but S1 is up on Netflix and other places online. Join the Abbeyers. We all feel so refined and cultured.
    Yeah, you'll have to check your local listings to find out when your local PBS station is running S2; it's part of the Masterpiece Classic series.

Yep, that'll do it. And we also learned that some men still look hot with a beard.
    Ohhhh yeah.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

I do!

Early on in SG-1, the Ancients were largely portrayed as a great paragon of civilized virtue. Yet in Hide and Seek, we begin to see (both on SGA and SG-1) a not-so-nice side to the Ancients, with them capturing "primitive" life forms for study and then abandoning them with nary a thought for 10,000 years. And that's just the start of it, as we were to discover in later episodes. Were any of you disturbed by what we discovered about the Ancients in this episode? What do you think the characters thought about it?
      That is a great question. It's hard to remember what I thought when I first saw it. I think, like Elizabeth, I still thought the Ancients were some kind of special beings that were above petty Earth behavior. Keeping that dark thing in a box didn't bother me much. It was probably their behavior in BIS that changed my mind about their morals. I think John figured them out early on. He didn't have all the background and experience studying them that some of the others did, so he had no preconceived notions and was able to judge them on their treatment of other species and other humans. He didn't like them much but was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they proved otherwise. Elizabeth, on the other hand, saw them as near gods and gave them way more leeway than John ever did, but since he respected her, he mostly kept quiet about it.

The scientists may have been starting to have their doubts, but I don't think most of them would be bothered much by experimenting on "inferior" beings. Unfortunately.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

You know what I liked about Hide & Seek (apart from the SG1 prop being rehashed as a ascended-being-trap - it used to be a device that made err... third dimension aliens visible in season 6 I think) the little bit of Athosian culture and beliefs that were touched upon - even if only for a brief moment. *sigh*
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Sure, that's what the IOA told them to say.

I don't know when it actually airs. S2 is on now on PBS, but S1 is up on Netflix and other places online. Join the Abbeyers. We all feel so refined and cultured.

Yep, that'll do it. And we also learned that some men still look hot with a beard.
          I wholeheartedly agree on both counts.

I think TPTW tried to use that "hot Bounty man" bait on Elizabeth. Not only did John hafta grow a beard during "Epiphany", but who was the "love interest" they introduced for Elizabeth in "Sunday"? A bearded Mike Branton. I droolz for John. Mike? Nada.

And then there was a bit of flurry over the weekend about a group of Russian scientists studying a subglacial lake in Antarctica that hadn't been heard from in days, right before they were supposed to get out before the Antarctic winter set in. Apparently they're okay and all is well... But then, maybe that's what the IOA wants us to think.

Russian Scientists reach buried Antarctic Lake Vostok
          Those pesky IOA. *waves fist*

I just had the bizarre idea that the IOA really do exist and the AU from "Vegas" is actually our world.

Yeah, you'll have to check your local listings to find out when your local PBS station is running S2; it's part of the Masterpiece Classic series.

Ohhhh yeah.
          I may just have to queue it up on Netflix ... And then I can catch it on PBS. I'm waiting for "Sherlock" to air on PBS in May because I wanna record them and make videos. Hee hee.

Video is almost done, but I'll be out tonight running with some of my friends. Not a John/Ronan run, mind you, but it gets me moving.

EDIT: I just read the article about Lake Vostok. I love the rumor that Hitler and his mistress are being preserved there for cloning. Maybe they're actually renegade power hungry Ancients. Let's get that trending on Twitter.

Comment

sigpic
            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

That is a great question. It's hard to remember what I thought when I first saw it. I think, like Elizabeth, I still thought the Ancients were some kind of special beings that were above petty Earth behavior. Keeping that dark thing in a box didn't bother me much. It was probably their behavior in BIS that changed my mind about their morals. I think John figured them out early on. He didn't have all the background and experience studying them that some of the others did, so he had no preconceived notions and was able to judge them on their treatment of other species and other humans. He didn't like them much but was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they proved otherwise. Elizabeth, on the other hand, saw them as near gods and gave them way more leeway than John ever did, but since he respected her, he mostly kept quiet about it.

The scientists may have been starting to have their doubts, but I don't think most of them would be bothered much by experimenting on "inferior" beings. Unfortunately.
              I watched the series all screwed up and never watched the early SG-1 years so I didn't have any ideas about the Ancients. I just assumed they were arrogant in their superiority from the very beginning.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              You know what I liked about Hide & Seek (apart from the SG1 prop being rehashed as a ascended-being-trap - it used to be a device that made err... third dimension aliens visible in season 6 I think) the little bit of Athosian culture and beliefs that were touched upon - even if only for a brief moment. *sigh*
              And it was the last time we saw Jinto and Wex. I think it would have been nice to have brought them back.

Comment

Teyla: I know what to do Elizabeth

Elizabeth: Yes, of course you do

Teyla: Hmmm, there's a message here from Colonel Sheppard. I wonder what DTF means?

Weir: I wasn't expecting you to land.

Caldwell: Until repairs are complete, the Daedalus is gonna need Atlantis' shields as much as you do.

Weir: Does that mean your forcefields are down also?

Caldwell: Possibly. Why?

Weir: Won't your 302 bay fill up with water and sink the ship?

Caldwell: Oh. I'm going to need as many buckets as you have

No caption, this one is just really creepy

Beckett: The Wraith will never think to look for Atlantis in Dimension X. And you all said my turtles wouldn't be good for anything

Woolsey: Woman, puhleease. You've been here two and a half years now, one of which was in complete isolation. Do you seriously expect me to believe that none of the senior staff have gotten together? I wasn't born yesterday

I wasn't too bothered by their capture of that creature, especially given that until it was let out, it seemed like it was just a big blob of energy. There was a heap of stuff left behind in the evacuation given its relative haste. It's more surprising that they never thought to take a ZPM with them so they could dial back in 50 years. Or use the wormhole drive to take the entire city, but whatever.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                  http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/...id/nml0177.jpg

Teyla: I know what to do Elizabeth

Elizabeth: Yes, of course you do

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/...id/nml0180.jpg

Teyla: Hmmm, there's a message here from Colonel Sheppard. I wonder what DTF means?
                  *SW wonders what DTF means*

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/...rgate19003.jpg

Caldwell: Until repairs are complete, the Daedalus is gonna need Atlantis' shields as much as you do.

*pets Caldwell*

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/...rgate15104.jpg

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/...rgate15110.jpg

Beckett: The Wraith will never think to look for Atlantis in Dimension X. And you all said my turtles wouldn't be good for anything

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/...ateraid/4c.jpg

Woolsey: Woman, puhleease. You've been here two and a half years now, one of which was in complete isolation. Do you seriously expect me to believe that none of the senior staff have gotten together? I wasn't born yesterday

Comment

As always, gateraid, your captions are awesome.

Oh my. I've officially gotten old. I had to look up what DTF meant. Now I'm depressed.

*giggles* You realize people who don't visit the general threads will have no idea what you're talking about, right?

Yes it is! Carson looks like a creepy stalker. Stick to your turtles, Carson!

Where did you get those photos from?

Woolsey knows all about the Sparky, especially after John went all "honor defending" on him.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
                      *SW wonders what DTF means*
                      Oh thank goodness! You're young and didn't know what it meant. Phew!

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                        Well I didn't stand a chance of knowing what DTF meant, but I looked it up and may I just say "ewwwwww?" I could have happily lived the rest of my life without that little bit of knowledge.
                        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Well I didn't stand a chance of knowing what DTF meant, but I looked it up and may I just say "ewwwwww?" I could have happily lived the rest of my life without that little bit of knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                            Yeah, curiousity killed teh cat, and I followed. I looked it up. And you're right, could've gone without that.

Anyhoodiddlydoody, I need y'all's help. Is there an episode, must be Season 3 or S4's "Adrift", "Lifeline", or "This Mortal Coil" (because that's all I have at my disposal right now), where John is sitting in his bed, or sitting in a dark place, with a melancholy expression on his face?

*types last sentence, then goes back to "Common Ground"*

Video is almost done, should be posted in 15 minutes. I've watched it so many times for editing I've convinced myself it's not good, but I'll leave it to a jury of my peers.
                            Last edited by ShipperWriter; 06 February 2012, 05:51 PM.

Comment

All right, here is it. Angst warning!!!

Comment

Great job, Shipper Writer!

That last line... *sniff*

Comment

Working...
                                X