Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    A certain fanfic writer who is a fan of another ship writes him that way. She is one of the authors of the new Legacy series of novels and we're hoping she stays a little more with canon in the books.
    But so far that seems to be a bit of a problem though... a few inconsistencies here and there... just a few.... 1, 2, maybe 3 or 4 and okay 5 and/or 6.... and a few more after that. Let's just say canon might look a little different than what canon looks like now.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Hello guys!

On recent book discussion - I agree with SK, we're looking at details here, but details which, combined together, create a really weird picture. What's up with the town name? I mean, it's okay to like a character, but I think the author's attempt to put Teyla up front and in center is a little over the top. What is she, the most important Athosian who lived? Then also, the stuff with dreaming about future makes no sense, because it's pretty significant detail in a TV show like SGA. So, I'd call that a far far stretch that does alter the canon.

I think we can sum it up under "finding her destiny in Atlantis", which IS a horrible cliche, for all the author's effort to portray Teyla as strong, independent, important character, because in this way she fulfills her purpose only after meeting 'the noble strangers from other galaxy'. I can't really agree with that, because I always thought of Teyla as someone who already had her purpose and her place in the Pegasus - universe, and she consciously kept her identity separate from Atlanteans, although she did fit in among them. She already had a purpose, and that's something she's not giving up on; it's just that her purpose coincides with the expedition mission.

Certainly, there are Teyla fans who can't wait to read these books, but they're not really interested in Teyla's development or importance. I believe their interests lay elsewhere.
      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Maybe I should make an enquiry about it on the thread. *ponders*

Comment

What kind of question, FH?

Comment

A certain fanfic writer who is a fan of another ship writes him that way. She is one of the authors of the new Legacy series of novels and we're hoping she stays a little more with canon in the books.
            I think I'm going to be sick

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
              Oh, just don't read the books or the fanfictions that portray him like that. And you're pretty safe on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                What kind of question, FH?
                Maybe I should ask to give me a few good reasons why I should read these books?

I haven't read any book of SGA though... so if I were to start now why would I want to pick these up?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  But so far that seems to be a bit of a problem though... a few inconsistencies here and there... just a few.... 1, 2, maybe 3 or 4 and okay 5 and/or 6.... and a few more after that. Let's just say canon might look a little different than what canon looks like now.
                  Just a few.

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                  Join the club.

I haven't read any book of SGA though... so if I were to start now why would I want to pick these up?
                  Do you mean ask the author? I'm sure you'd get the usual spin on how she's continuing the story and expanding the backgrounds and staying oh so close to canon because after all she respects and loves and honors the whole SGA 'verse. I have a whole long list of specifics I'd like to ask but I'm sure I'd be accused of being confrontational and just being bitter because my ship isn't being written and so on.

When in actuality what it comes down to is the ball is in her court and she gets to make the rules. MGM seems to approve of whatever outline they got. We'll just see if the final manuscript gets a go and the first book actually comes out on time in October. In the meantime I'd say we just spread the word that canon is not being adhered to. Ultimately, the lovers of this kind of fanfic will buy it.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Oh dear. I can't speak for Teyla fans but I don't like it when authors reinvent canon to suit themselves. It sounds like it's leading toward "finding her destiny on Atlantis". *hurls* No matter how much we tend to disagree with how TPTB wrote the characters and how the arcs played out, we still have to accept their decisions. I see nothing wrong with letting them grow past the point of how they were left in EatG but you can't go backwards. The more I hear about this new background the less I like it. Oh well, I don't have to read it.
                    What these books are going to do goes far beyond retconning, that's for sure.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                    Huh. If it's okay to alter canon in the novels, then this is my take on the scene from echoes:

Spoiler:
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]26434[/ATTACH]

Carson, I need some help here

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26435[/ATTACH]

Oh, God, Elizabeth! What happened?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26433[/ATTACH]

It's all my fault Carson. She said she'd had a rough day at work and needed me to shag her senseless, and, well, things got a bit out of hand....

Ahahahah! gateraid, you always know how to make us laugh! Well done!

But we're not holding our breaths.

Hello guys!

On recent book discussion - I agree with SK, we're looking at details here, but details which, combined together, create a really weird picture. What's up with the town name? I mean, it's okay to like a character, but I think the author's attempt to put Teyla up front and in center is a little over the top. What is she, the most important Athosian who lived? Then also, the stuff with dreaming about future makes no sense, because it's pretty significant detail in a TV show like SGA. So, I'd call that a far far stretch that does alter the canon.

I think we can sum it up under "finding her destiny in Atlantis", which IS a horrible cliche, for all the author's effort to portray Teyla as strong, independent, important character, because in this way she fulfills her purpose only after meeting 'the noble strangers from other galaxy'. I can't really agree with that, because I always thought of Teyla as someone who already had her purpose and her place in the Pegasus - universe, and she consciously kept her identity separate from Atlanteans, although she did fit in among them. She already had a purpose, and that's something she's not giving up on; it's just that her purpose coincides with the expedition mission.

Certainly, there are Teyla fans who can't wait to read these books, but they're not really interested in Teyla's development or importance. I believe their interests lay elsewhere.
                    I hate to say it, but it really looks like Teyla's being turned into a Mary Sue. That's NOT what I would expect to see out of stories that have supposedly been approved by MGM. It seems their standards of quality have slipped along with their credit rating.

Oh well, we'll show 'em how it's done when we unleash Atlantis Rising.
                    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Stick with the books that were written by Whitelaw and Christensen; Chosen was okay, Blood Ties was a little cracky but still fun, Exogenesis was pretty cool, and Casualties of War kicked ass (and won an award, too).

Do you mean ask the author? I'm sure you'd get the usual spin on how she's continuing the story and expanding the backgrounds and staying oh so close to canon because after all she respects and loves and honors the whole SGA 'verse. I have a whole long list of specifics I'd like to ask but I'm sure I'd be accused of being confrontational and just being bitter because my ship isn't being written and so on.

When in actuality what it comes down to is the ball is in her court and she gets to make the rules. MGM seems to approve of whatever outline they got. We'll just see if the final manuscript gets a go and the first book actually comes out on time in October. In the meantime I'd say we just spread the word that canon is not being adhered to. Ultimately, the lovers of this kind of fanfic will buy it.
                      The lovers of gen-style storytelling will not be so amused, however. I can just see the bloodbath coming now...
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                        Stick with the books that were written by Whitelaw and Christensen; Chosen was okay, Blood Ties was a little cracky but still fun, Exogenesis was pretty cool, and Casualties of War kicked ass (and won an award, too).

The lovers of gen-style storytelling will not be so amused, however. I can just see the bloodbath coming now...
                        Time to polish up the popcorn machine and order a case of butter. Drat! I'll be gone most of October on my cruise. You may not know this guys but everytime we've had a big event I've been on vacation. This should be interesting. I think the ship has wireless so I'll have to check in.
                        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Glad you liked the sig everybody! Thanks!

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                          Very nice.

Erin, do you know about the assignment you need to be working on?
                          *hides* Yes...
                          sigpic
                          Lovely Sparkiness! ~*~ My: Fanfics - Vids ~*~

Comment

Time to polish up the popcorn machine and order a case of butter. Drat! I'll be gone most of October on my cruise. You may not know this guys but everytime we've had a big event I've been on vacation. This should be interesting. I think the ship has wireless so I'll have to check in.
                            Does that mean there will be a big event in October? (What happened with previous vacations and big events, what is that about?)

Comment

The more I'm hearing about the books, the more I'm looking forward to Atlantis Rising!!!!!

Sig by me

Comment

You darn well better check in! Burning up the forum just won't be as much fun without you! LOL!

A cruise, eh? Where are you going?

Does that mean there will be a big event in October? (What happened with previous vacations and big events, what is that about?)
                                You mean a big event besides my birthday and Halloween? *snickers*

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
                                The more I'm hearing about the books, the more I'm looking forward to Atlantis Rising!!!!!
                                You and me both!

Comment

Working...
                                X