Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
    FFS. Damnit.
    Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! LOL!
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Hey, I'm going to be going out of internet contact soon, so I thought I might show one my favorite sparky vids (and perhaps the marginally amusing story of how I stumbled upon it.) There are so many of that kind of videos that I liked, and for all I know maybe one of you guys made it.

Spoiler:
      I am not always feeling like I have a reason to be proud to admit this, but I'm a professional wrestling fan. Earlier this year World Wrestling Entertainment made this nifty little promo for the main event of one of their big shows. And I guess continuing with my way of somehow linking completely (and hilariously) unrelated concepts to sparky, I thought to myself sometime later: "Hey, you know that song/concept could make a cool idea for a Stargate Atlantis video." I know a professional wrestling analogy is probably a terrible way to get a concept across here, but my point is that the story of that little video package is about an individual becoming increasingly desperate over doing something. I know the medium and situations that two characters are in are nothing alike, but the principle of the similarity of that song epically telling a story of an extremely driven man's mounting desperation was what caught my attention. Plus Flangian probably used as many depressed looks in the show (what do you guys call it again? The "Woobie face?") as Shawn Michaels did in that video.

Anyway, I had this image of a video about John Shepard thinking about losing his friends one by one (Ford, Carson, Elizabeth) and being driven to do things he wouldn't have done (IE that stuff in seasons 4 and 5). However not too long later, I thought to myself. This is a pretty awesome song, surely somebody must have thought of this sort of idea before me. Sure enough I found no less than three videos with this song centered around this pair alone. The 3 of them range from good to excellently good, but this one was my probably favorite. It actually fits the lyrics of the song better than what I thought of.

Enjoy:

Spoiler:
      This was another which I liked.

This one was also truly excellent. But it seemed to be also about Elizabeth and McKay too. You can never really tell for sure what the intention of a video is just going by all the images edited together. Regardless it was still extremely good.

Anyway, I hope I can be back to posting in just over a month. Happy uh... "sparking" (?) everybody.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Vids like that always make me wonder......why?

As in.....when TPTB say they never considered putting John & Elizabeth together....why?

As someone that was convinced that Sparky was real long before I was actually converted to the ship....I'm still totally bewildered.
        - Life after Stargate -
        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
          Hey, I'm going to be going out of internet contact soon, so I thought I might show one my favorite sparky vids (and perhaps the marginally amusing story of how I stumbled upon it.) There are so many of that kind of videos that I liked, and for all I know maybe one of you guys made it.

Spoiler:
          I am not always feeling like I have a reason to be proud to admit this, but I'm a professional wrestling fan. Earlier this year World Wrestling Entertainment made this nifty little promo for the main event of one of their big shows. And I guess continuing with my way of somehow linking completely (and hilariously) unrelated concepts to sparky, I thought to myself sometime later: "Hey, you know that song/concept could make a cool idea for a Stargate Atlantis video." I know a professional wrestling analogy is probably a terrible way to get a concept across here, but my point is that the story of that little video package is about an individual becoming increasingly desperate over doing something. I know the medium and situations that two characters are in are nothing alike, but the principle of the similarity of that song epically telling a story of an extremely driven man's mounting desperation was what caught my attention. Plus Flangian probably used as many depressed looks in the show (what do you guys call it again? The "Woobie face?") as Shawn Michaels did in that video.

Anyway, I had this image of a video about John Shepard thinking about losing his friends one by one (Ford, Carson, Elizabeth) and being driven to do things he wouldn't have done (IE that stuff in seasons 4 and 5). However not too long later, I thought to myself. This is a pretty awesome song, surely somebody must have thought of this sort of idea before me. Sure enough I found no less than three videos with this song centered around this pair alone. The 3 of them range from good to excellently good, but this one was my probably favorite. It actually fits the lyrics of the song better than what I thought of.

Enjoy:

Spoiler:
          [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjnerPxI0fQ] This was another which I liked.]

This one was also truly excellent. But it seemed to be also about Elizabeth and McKay too. You can never really tell for sure what the intention of a video is just going by all the images edited together. Regardless it was still extremely good.

Anyway, I hope I can be back to posting in just over a month. Happy uh... "sparking" (?) everybody.
          Thank you so much for posting that. It just makes me want to watch a whole bunch of angsty Sparky vids and sob my way through a whole box of tissues. Maybe I'll just eat some chocolate.

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post

As in.....when TPTB say they never considered putting John & Elizabeth together....why?

As someone that was convinced that Sparky was real long before I was actually converted to the ship....I'm still totally bewildered.
          You and me both my friend. You and me both. I've always said that had I not ever gotten connected with fandom I'd be thinking that Sparky would surely have happened if Torri had stayed on the show. And I'd be wondering who she p'd off to get herself fired. Because I don't see how you can possibly watch the show and not think that they were supposed to be together in the end.
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Spoiler:

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLMrn9mbYUQ

Spoiler:

Hot damn. Not merely one, but THREE videos to the same frakkin' song.

The first one (your favorite) is by tenaciouserr, who is on LJ and has written some really good Sparky fanfic; I have to says, this one's my favorite as well. The other two names I don't recognize, but all three videos are fantastic. I think it's a perfect illustration of how great minds think alike.

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post

You, SR and me three. I didn't get into fandom until after I had seen Season 2 in reruns and had to watch Season 3 on DVD to catch up with all of you... I totally thought it should've been Sparky. I still do. And damnit, Sparky did happen. *fierce look*

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            Thank you so much for posting that. It just makes me want to watch a whole bunch of angsty Sparky vids and sob my way through a whole box of tissues. Maybe I'll just eat some chocolate.

You and me both my friend. You and me both. I've always said that had I not ever gotten connected with fandom I'd be thinking that Sparky would surely have happened if Torri had stayed on the show. And I'd be wondering who she p'd off to get herself fired. Because I don't see how you can possibly watch the show and not think that they were supposed to be together in the end.
            You betcha. Those subtle Sparky moments are a perfect example of ship anvils that really do work.

*passes a box of chocolates around*
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Good morning Sparkies!! How is everyone doing?

I'm working on some sgarising.com promo material to distribute on cons and hope to get that finished soon so I can get distributing at Shore Leave

Sig by me

Comment

Don't give her any ideas. Who knows but that the loss of a child will be what broke up John and Nancy. Oh wait, that would probably be his affair with one of his USAF buds. LOL
                That's the other part of the backstory in Phantoms

I liked Rodney/Katie too. Age appropriate and just cute. She got him and he seemed to love her. Why propose otherwise? Bad writing once again.
                I liked it too, but I couldn't help but think Katie was a little naive. I've ended up not hating McKeller (it grew on me, a bit like a wart or a boil), but it really bugged me how they wrote it. McBrown was a little more natural.

I guess these writers have been given the go ahead to write new canon like adding backstory which would be okay if it made sense along with the already established canon. For example I wouldn't mind the former child for Teyla if it didn't violate specific canon. And the explanation for dumping Kanaan is going to be so far in left field nobody will believe it.
                Given her age, and background, it wouldn't have been that unexpected for her to have had a child in the past. But they'd have had to have mentioned it in s1. I can see how losing a child is the type of thing that you wouldn't broadcast to the world, but she'd surely have told someone

I liked Rodney and Katie much better than Rodney and Keller but the whole affair didn't exactly reflect well on McKay. He was actually asking her to spend the rest of her life with him and after she broke up with him he never came across as anything than mildly inconvenienced and confused by the whole thing. The fact that the scene where Keller explained why she wasn't with Ronon was cut from Trio didn't help her either. Both of them came off as incredibly shallow, which made the "I suddenly love you" scenes even more jarring than they would have been. In fact Rodney in general seemed like he was an emotional flip-flopper. After Elizabeth was lost he seemed to alternate between "completely unconcerned" and "devastated". I know that probably isn't the implication of their intention to write the character but he came across that way. As far as McKeller goes, I never really cared for the idea in general beforehand, but I wouldn't have minded it so much if it had been written and showed differently. I don't automatically like or dislike a paring just because the idea initially appeals or repulses me. The way the story is built is the biggest factor. I mentioned a while back that one of the others I liked from elsewhere on TV was Angel and Cordelia. When I first heard about the idea (way before I had actually seen it) I didn't care for the notion at all really, I thought it would have been too cliche. but after I actually saw the build upon it won me over pretty emphatically. So to speak.
                I agree with everything you've said here. Especially the bit about rodney wanting to spend the rest of his life with Katie, then forgetting about her. If this was the type of show that believed in serialisation, they'd have picked up on that. Hell, Carson was his BFF, yet he nor anybody else mentioned him again until Keller had a whine about replacing him in FS.

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                Not only that, but we're taking many of our cues from the actually show runners postulated what 'would have been' in their season 6. Even though we have a beef with them for what they did to our favorite character. And we're not manipulating those cues into fulfilling our fantasies, we're trying to follow them to a logical end.

Under that theory, though, you could make up ANYTHING you wanted. We don't know anything about John, either, so he could be bi. Just because he's been married doesn't mean he's not sexually liberated. Or he and Elizabeth could have had a 'friends with benefits' relationship through Season 2; there's nothing to disprove that either because there's nothing in canon that denies it; there's just nothing in canon that supports it--but oh, wait, remember how John was all eager to be 'Thalen' in TLG? That was because he'd already 'tapped that' and didn't want anyone else doing it. =\
                What, that didn't happen? And surely some of TPTW thought that too, given the infamous 'do you think they did it after that' commentary remark.

Arguing that 'you don't see enough' just leaves you open to interpret any damn thing you want. Which is why I believe in taking it in whole and applying what makes the most sense. So I agree that how they defined 'marriage' is shaky--they could have had life partners or have marriage ceremonies--but this business about Kanaan being older than Teyla and both having other families is ludicrous at best and very weakly supported by what we have in canon about the Athosians. I mean, lines like this:

Show that they valued personal families as much as their people. Charin's words are no different than anyone in one of our cultures would say to someone who has lost a personal family but has others who love them as one of their own.
                If she had had kids before, that would've been the perfect opportunity to mention them. Regardless of how they defined marriage, Teyla didn't strike me as a bed hopper. None of them did. If you took the show at face value, the entire senior staff could've been virgins up until s4.

I read all the books, and other than a few quirky things (like in Mirror, Mirror the author definitely played to the Teyla/Ronon relationship while in Halcyon the author played to Teyla/John and Teyla/Ronon as competitive) they were straight on canon. Nothing about backstories. I want to say that in one of them there was a dogtag that showed John as Catholic and that was a big deal because it was presuming something of his past. And in another Ronon's wraith 'immunity' was mentioned and that ended up being wrong because he was later fed on--and that was canon contradicting itself, not the author's fault.

The authors all characterized the characters differently, but they've treaded lightly where canon and potentially contradicting it was concerned.
                Soooo......if I'm inferring correctly, perhaps this novel had been rubberstamped by a polyamorous executive (not part of TPTW)? If you get my drift

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                With July 4th coming up what do u think Sheppard would do this year?
                Don't you guys have a 4th of July parade? Or maybe I'm thinking of Fleet Week. Although he wouldn't been on Earth for that, and probably not reassigned, so able to participate

That seems pretty definitive. I don't know how you could spin that into her having kids before. Especially that last line. Actually it sounds like she hasn't even been around many kids before. I thought the Athosians were a "it takes a village" people. Hmm? Maybe the leader didn't take part in the child raising. And she's concerned about having a child away from her people, not that it's her first time. Yeah, that's it.
                The only thing you could spin out of the last line is that perhaps she isn't sure because her last one(s) was/were taken. But that is drawing an exceptionally long bow. I seriously doubt that that is what the writer of that ep (whomever it was) was trying to convey.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                As far as the books go... I think there will be more altering than expanding, not something I'm looking for. Then again I have to admit to not actually having read any book - mostly due to there not being my favorite character because she's too secondary and most authors either don't like her or forget about her (in Legacy she's being replaced due to being dead - but honestly if she had been alive I really wouldn't have wanted to know her backstory - that is if she'd gotten one).
                I always dread backstory - at least on tv. Perhaps in this isloated case, you're lucky to have been spared

All McKeller really needs is a good writer who is willing to write it like a relationship that has come from somewhere. Personally, I too would like to just break them up because I'm in favor of Katie/Rodney, and McKeller simply doesn't work for me as far as dynamic goes.
                It could be quite good, as could the Keller character. But too often both make me

Yup, those two. Who were talking about bacon before the gate activated.
                Perhaps they should've been figuring out how to use the radio, so that they could check with Weir first. If they're the same IDC's that the SGC had, they have a Do Not Proceed/Hold for Further Instructions function. Guess they fulfilled their function as a plot device - and then as target practice

Actor, and so is the rest of the cast, except for the brothers of course and Frankie who really is the Bonus Jonas.
                I assumed the dad was their actual dad, given his poor acting (although it's actually really poor dialogue). I swear I only see a couple of minutes at a time. AFV starts at five after, so it's out of sync with the other channels

Sonny With A Chance stars Demi Lovato, and in Wizards of Waverly Place you can see David Deluise as the dad.
                Sonny as in Sonny & Cher? Maybe not, I just checked her out on Youtube. I knew the name sounded familiar. Very attractive. David Deluise is the one who played Pete, right? He's one a pet food commercial here, I've almost forgiven him for playing one of the most annoying characters on SG1
                Last edited by gateraid; 29 June 2010, 02:29 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLMrn9mbYUQ

Spoiler:

Wow. Dunno how that would've worked as a wrestling vid Loved the first one. Hope you enjoy your month off
                  sigpic

Comment

Infinite: Thanks for the vids. I love Placebo so I'm happy with the song. It's awesome. I also like the vids.
                    sigpic
                    Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Anything you can do....

Spoiler:

I can do better....

Spoiler:

I can do anything....

Spoiler:

Better than you...

Spoiler:

No you can't!!!

Spoiler:

Yes I can!!!

Spoiler:

I can do anything...

Spoiler:

Better than you!!!

Spoiler:

Now, everyone - sing it!!!!

No joke, I ran out of Shelya shots to fill up the rest of the song

P.S. Sorry about the triple post
                      Last edited by gateraid; 29 June 2010, 03:09 AM. Reason: insufficient cappage
                      sigpic

Comment

So, I've been working on a business card for our little project
                        Honest thoughts please.
                        The first photo is the front, the second the back. The card will be of high quality with shiny paper.
                        For now I prefer little cards like this over flyers (we will do flyers too of course) because in this early stage you want to keep it personal (friends, fellow fans, actors). And people tend to keep cards much easier than flyers.
                        Anyway, here you can find the preview below. Big version (like the printer needs) is here.
                        I decided to just use John's team to avoid spoilers and to avoid fans feeling left out because their actor/actress isn't on there and another one is. But I'll prolly work on that some more as I'm not really happy with it yet.

Spoiler:

Sig by me

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                          That's the other part of the backstory in Phantoms
                          Actually, I think part of the explanation for John's sexual confusion includes the guy from Phantoms. There was talk of him being a lover not just a friend. Obviously, this concept lacks understanding of the band of brothers relationship.

Given her age, and background, it wouldn't have been that unexpected for her to have had a child in the past. But they'd have had to have mentioned it in s1. I can see how losing a child is the type of thing that you wouldn't broadcast to the world, but she'd surely have told someone.
                          Frankly I don't think the idea that this wasn't her first child ever crossed the writers' minds. They just didn't get into thinking all that much about what came before. I think they thought of her as being much younger than the actress.

What, that didn't happen? And surely some of TPTW thought that too, given the infamous 'do you think they did it after that' commentary remark.
                          I guess they thought all that was off screen. LOL Plus they also said they had trouble keeping their hands off each other.

If she had had kids before, that would've been the perfect opportunity to mention them. Regardless of how they defined marriage, Teyla didn't strike me as a bed hopper. None of them did. If you took the show at face value, the entire senior staff could've been virgins up until s4.
                          And any characterization of Teyla as a bed hopper or someone who is casual about "relationships" violates canon in a big way. But all the talk about Kirk would make John the polyamorous one. LOL

Soooo......if I'm inferring correctly, perhaps this novel had been rubberstamped by a polyamorous executive (not part of TPTW)? If you get my drift.
                          *snort* Actually as I understand it, the person at MGM who approves the books is just that, one person. They have to read all the books and check for accuracy, etc. I think right now they are waiting to hear back on the first Legacy book. I feel sorry for that poor person but it just makes the whole process ridiculous. I've heard through the grapevine that there is growing skepticism among all fans about how canon is being treated in these books.

Don't you guys have a 4th of July parade? Or maybe I'm thinking of Fleet Week. Although he wouldn't been on Earth for that, and probably not reassigned, so able to participate.
                          Every city in America has a 4th of July parade with bands, clowns, kids on decorated bikes, beauty queens, politicians in convertibles and people on horses. The fireworks come at dark ranging from the big displays in the cities to a few guys trying to lose a finger on the street.

The only thing you could spin out of the last line is that perhaps she isn't sure because her last one(s) was/were taken. But that is drawing an exceptionally long bow. I seriously doubt that that is what the writer of that ep (whomever it was) was trying to convey.
                          Unless the kid was culled out of the womb she knows what to expect from the birth. And unless she's never been around a small child she should know what to expect from a little kid. So that would point to her talking about not knowing what to expect from the birth.

Originally posted by KrisRussel View Post
                          So, I've been working on a business card for our little project
                          Honest thoughts please.
                          The first photo is the front, the second the back. The card will be of high quality with shiny paper.
                          For now I prefer little cards like this over flyers (we will do flyers too of course) because in this early stage you want to keep it personal (friends, fellow fans, actors). And people tend to keep cards much easier than flyers.
                          Anyway, here you can find the preview below. Big version (like the printer needs) is here.
                          I decided to just use John's team to avoid spoilers and to avoid fans feeling left out because their actor/actress isn't on there and another one is. But I'll prolly work on that some more as I'm not really happy with it yet.

Looks good. I like the last one best to start. I think you should also include "by the fans for the fans". Maybe at the bottom
                          sigpic

Comment

Looks good. I like the last one best to start. I think you should also include "by the fans for the fans". Maybe at the bottom
                            "by the fans, for the fans" is now below the link.
                            The cards I'm getting are double sided, so I was thinking to get both images on there. Then people can choose what image they prefer and keep that side up.

Sig by me

Comment

"by the fans, for the fans" is now below the link.
                              The cards I'm getting are double sided, so I was thinking to get both images on there. Then people can choose what image they prefer and keep that side up.
                              Exxxxceeeelllllt! Nice little teaser for the coming fics.
                              sigpic

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Good morning Sparkies!! How is everyone doing?

I'm working on some sgarising.com promo material to distribute on cons and hope to get that finished soon so I can get distributing at Shore Leave
                                They look great! I like how you're just using the images of Team Shep in these to avoid spoilage and questions about who is/isn't in the story. Plus, a smaller item like a card would start getting a little cluttered if you put too much on it. So this is perfect!

I liked it too, but I couldn't help but think Katie was a little naive. I've ended up not hating McKeller (it grew on me, a bit like a wart or a boil), but it really bugged me how they wrote it. McBrown was a little more natural.
                                Hmm, I have to agree with you on Katie's naiveté. I think in a way that helped make McBrown look more realistic than McKeller.

Given her age, and background, it wouldn't have been that unexpected for her to have had a child in the past. But they'd have had to have mentioned it in s1. I can see how losing a child is the type of thing that you wouldn't broadcast to the world, but she'd surely have told someone
                                At the very least, one would think that she would've corrected Lorne's "assumption" about this being her first child in Spoils of War.

*snerks*

Except for Sheppard's supposed Kirking... and even that only went so far as flirting, at least at face value.

Soooo......if I'm inferring correctly, perhaps this novel had been rubberstamped by a polyamorous executive (not part of TPTW)? If you get my drift
                                You infer correctly.

Actually, I think part of the explanation for John's sexual confusion includes the guy from Phantoms. There was talk of him being a lover not just a friend. Obviously, this concept lacks understanding of the band of brothers relationship.
                                And of the military in general.

Frankly I don't think the idea that this wasn't her first child ever crossed the writers' minds. They just didn't get into thinking all that much about what came before. I think they thought of her as being much younger than the actress.
                                *nods* In the case of Teyla, I don't think they altered the background we saw in the casting sides all that much, in comparison to other characters.

I guess they thought all that was off screen. LOL Plus they also said they had trouble keeping their hands off each other.
                                Hey, when Sheppard is confronted with the opportunity to finally get some action with his hot boss... yeah.

And any characterization of Teyla as a bed hopper or someone who is casual about "relationships" violates canon in a big way. But all the talk about Kirk would make John the polyamorous one. LOL
                                Bwahahahah!

Unless the kid was culled out of the womb she knows what to expect from the birth. And unless she's never been around a small child she should know what to expect from a little kid. So that would point to her talking about not knowing what to expect from the birth.
                                Which would in turn point to her never having had a child of her own, therefore blowing that entire storyline out of the water. Just to state the obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                X