Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    That's just your typical military officer. They're all like that. When I first got married, I had to tell my Marine husband that I wasn't one of his troopies on several occasions. LOL It's their command personality. In a war it saves lives when troops obey without question.
    me i followed orders when i was in JROTC in hs but sometimes i felt like questing some of the orders. i mean my ROTC instructor was a very Laid Back kind of Guy He was a former Army LT.Col. and He reminded me of sometimes of Jack and John. if he stayed in he would probably have been working for the Joint Chiefs of Staff by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
      me i followed orders when i was in JROTC in hs but sometimes i felt like questing some of the orders. i mean my ROTC instructor was a very Laid Back kind of Guy He was a former Army LT.Col. and He reminded me of sometimes of Jack and John.
      Not something you usually see in an officer. LOL But they come in all shapes and sizes.
      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I guess I really need to start paying better attention...about the age thing...I knew Ford was younger than the rest because we're told how old he is in Childhood's End (and the way Rainbow portrayed him you could just tell)...but I would've put Teyla, Elizabeth and John all within a few years of each other age-wise...I dunno, maybe having the experiences she'd had aged Teyla emotionally...*shrug* (I'm kinda rambling sorry)

And Probie, imo, when it comes to affairs of the heart, age ain't nothin' but a number, baby! (my hubby's six years younger than I am - which is fine now, but I like to tease him from time to time by reminding him that when I was a freshman in college, going to fraternity parties, he was in sixth grade and going to middle school dances )
        My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drewandian View Post
          I guess I really need to start paying better attention...about the age thing...I knew Ford was younger than the rest because we're told how old he is in Childhood's End (and the way Rainbow portrayed him you could just tell)...but I would've put Teyla, Elizabeth and John all within a few years of each other age-wise...I dunno, maybe having the experiences she'd had aged Teyla emotionally...*shrug* (I'm kinda rambling sorry)

And Probie, imo, when it comes to affairs of the heart, age ain't nothin' but a number, baby! (my hubby's six years younger than I am - which is fine now, but I like to tease him from time to time by reminding him that when I was a freshman in college, going to fraternity parties, he was in sixth grade and going to middle school dances )
          Well remember that these descriptions were from way early. Look how they changed the scientist. By the time they hired RL they had obviously completely revamped the character. I think she and Torri are about the same age. It must be frustrating to be TPTB and have people expect the original character descriptions never to change. But on the other hand, Weir certainly never lived up to her original description.
          sigpic

Comment

for those who have seen SGU doesnt the slide for Sumner remind u of telford? the whole hard nosed and wanting his orders to be followed with out question stuff.
            Telford is worse. He's "unwholesome" (thanks english dictionnary for this word.lol). He has a strange side. I don't know how to say but I don't like him. They both want to see their orders followed but Sumner seems more "cool". Just my opinion....

That's just your typical military officer. They're all like that. When I first got married, I had to tell my Marine husband that I wasn't one of his troopies on several occasions. LOL It's their command personality. In a war it saves lives when troops obey without question.
            It seems no easy to be married to a military.lol
            My mom had the same problem with daddy. Always remember him that she's not one of his soldiers.
            My dad was a portuguese military officer ("minesweeper") when he was young. He did the "Mozambican War of Independence". He says like you SR "In a war it saves lives when troops obey without question" even if he wanted to desert the army because he was ashamed to serve for Salazar.
            sigpic
            Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

this 35-year-old started out as a critic of government spending on the military... She worked behind the scenes for the U.S. government as a high level international negotiator for years before being offered command of the Stargate Program by the new President.
              Being in an academical career, I always wonder how people on TV manage to graduate, get a PhD, ascend to a high level position, work in it for years and speak five languages on top, all at the age of 35. *sigh*

Originally posted by Probie View Post
              Killed in the first episode .... Perhaps it was a good idea not to have him in the show. I would have been sad since the beginning of the show.
              I was sad when Robert Patrick was killed of right away. I liked him on TXF, even though few people did. Really liked the show with Doggett and Reyes, although it would have been better off as a spin-off.

Also, I really have no problem with age differences. My bf is 9 years older, we started dating when I was 20... And guess who's the child in the relationship *g* Boys!

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Well remember that these descriptions were from way early. Look how they changed the scientist. By the time they hired RL they had obviously completely revamped the character. I think she and Torri are about the same age. It must be frustrating to be TPTB and have people expect the original character descriptions never to change. But on the other hand, Weir certainly never lived up to her original description.
                Good point (I really should learn to get more than four hours of sleep before I try to have a coherent conversation )...I did forget that these are the original character concepts...

This is where I go when I need info about characters...I know it's not always 100% accurate, but it seems pretty close...
                My fanfics:http://evil_bad_evil.livejournal.com/3389.htmlMember of the Sisterhood of the Pantster Fan Fic Writers
                sigpic

Comment

Good point (I really should learn to get more than four hours of sleep before I try to have a coherent conversation )...I did forget that these are the original character concepts...

This is where I go when I need info about characters...I know it's not always 100% accurate, but it seems pretty close...
                  I love this link especially because it's written....

"John was clearly deeply affected by Elizabeth's loss when he was forced to leave her behind on the Asuran homeworld, and his grief when he learned that she was dead- having first heard a second-hand account from the Organic Asuran duplicates of his team and subsequently witnessing her return and sacrifice to defeat the remaining Asurans- was particularly pronounced, hinting at the strong bond between them that was never given the chance to develop into something more. (ATL: "The Eye", "The Siege, Part 2", "The Intruder", "Conversion", "The Real World", "Lifeline", "This Mortal Coil", "Ghost in the Machine")"

I LOVE WIKI! lol
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
                    Being in an academical career, I always wonder how people on TV manage to graduate, get a PhD, ascend to a high level position, work in it for years and speak five languages on top, all at the age of 35. *sigh*

I was sad when Robert Patrick was killed of right away. I liked him on TXF, even though few people did. Really liked the show with Doggett and Reyes, although it would have been better off as a spin-off.

Also, I really have no problem with age differences. My bf is 9 years older, we started dating when I was 20... And guess who's the child in the relationship *g* Boys!
                    *LOL* I always wonder the same thing. Elizabeth's is not quite as unattainable as some roles; if I'd gone the PHD route I could have gotten mine by about 26. If she interned at the UN during that time, she could have been heavily involved with the program by the time she graduated. That gives her about 5-7 years to train before she could be promoted to the point where she'd earn the president's trust and high clearance. And considering the President singled her out for head of the SGC based on her background, that type of person is typically highly ambitious and a go-getter who has impressed a lot of people on her way to the top.

Don't know where she found time to teach a Georgetown Poly Sci class, though.

As far as speaking the languages, we never knew exactly what she spoke. If she trained early, from the time she was a child, she could have adopted the any combo of the romance languages + Latin. Based on the way she translates Ancient (and subsequently Wraith), she has a head for linguistics and I've known people for which that comes pretty easily.

But TV usually answers that question in the much simpler 'they were superhuman geniuses and skipped grades in school. *LOL*'
                    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                      Telford is worse. He's "unwholesome" (thanks english dictionnary for this word.lol). He has a strange side. I don't know how to say but I don't like him. They both want to see their orders followed but Sumner seems more "cool". Just my opinion....

It seems no easy to be married to a military.lol
                      My mom had the same problem with daddy. Always remember him that she's not one of his soldiers.
                      My dad was a portuguese military officer ("minesweeper") when he was young. He did the "Mozambican War of Independence". He says like you SR "In a war it saves lives when troops obey without question" even if he wanted to desert the army because he was ashamed to serve for Salazar.
                      Cool bit of history your dad got to be part of. Wars are never good no matter what side you're on.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                        *LOL* I always wonder the same thing. Elizabeth's is not quite as unattainable as some roles; if I'd gone the PHD route I could have gotten mine by about 26. If she interned at the UN during that time, she could have been heavily involved with the program by the time she graduated. That gives her about 5-7 years to train before she could be promoted to the point where she'd earn the president's trust and high clearance. And considering the President singled her out for head of the SGC based on her background, that type of person is typically highly ambitious and a go-getter who has impressed a lot of people on her way to the top.

As far as speaking the languages, we never knew exactly what she spoke. If she trained early, from the time she was a child, she could have adopted the any combo of the romance languages + Latin. Based on the way she translates Ancient (and subsequently Wraith), she has a head for linguistics and I've known people for which that comes pretty easily.

But TV usually answers that question in the much simpler 'they were superhuman geniuses and skipped grades in school. *LOL*'
                        *cough*SamCarter*cough*
                        sigpic

Comment

*gg* That would have been such a good answer to the Dean. Damn! He came up with a whole lot of ridiculous things to do because I tricked the system and got a Master's degree in 4 years. He said that a proper German degree would last 5 years and it is impossible that I have learnt as much as a "normal" student. That's what you get in the real world for being faster...

But yeah, Elizabeth is on the more realistic side of superhuman. But her being an activist first makes it still difficult. Realistically she should have been 50 or something. But of course I love her as she is!

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Cool bit of history your dad got to be part of. Wars are never good no matter what side you're on.
                            Yes it's not good. He lost many friends (and his mom just after it). He never speaks about it. The only time he talked about his time as a military, it was the first time that I saw my dad crying. After the war, he started his life in France. But it's strange because with all those bad souvenirs, he wants to go back in Mozambique one day.
                            Now I will stop to bother you with my dad. Tell me if I talk too much about me.lol
                            sigpic

Comment

for those who have seen SGU doesnt the slide for Sumner remind u of telford? the whole hard nosed and wanting his orders to be followed with out question stuff.
                              Funny you should mention that. I seem to recall hearing that later on they'd regretted killing off Sumner so quickly, as they'd really liked Robert Patrick's performance. Then this past summer, Brad Wright made an offhand remark (that subsequently sent the fandom into an uproar) about how they were going to "do it right this time" with SGU, basically implying that SGU was a do-over. *sighs*

Heh again.
                              Spoiler:
                              I find it amusing that the same people who think Weir was too old for Sheppard point to the original description of a certain character to justify their non-existent ship. Can't have it both ways folks. I wonder how much the lack of change in Shep had to do with JF?
                              *snickers* JoeF rules. He knows what his character should be like and he goes for it. It's just coincidence that John is similar in some ways to Joe. No, really, it is.

No, that makes perfect sense. It's very much how I saw Teyla; she may have been young chronologically speaking, but she was very old in terms of her knowledge and wisdom.

*snerks*

That sounds like a logical progression of her schooling and early work experience. As for the Georgetown job, if it was only maybe one semester a year, I suppose it could work. Especially if it was Georgetown who approached her to teach there; I can imagine with her other credentials, they'd be willing to work around her schedule.

*cackles* True, dat. Though certainly that would fit in with the whole 'ambitious go-getter' image.

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
                              But yeah, Elizabeth is on the more realistic side of superhuman. But her being an activist first makes it still difficult. Realistically she should have been 50 or something. But of course I love her as she is!
                              Well, I suppose she could've gotten into her activist mode very early on, late teens, early 20s just as she's doing her undergraduate work.
                              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

New thread that might be interesting: Who Should Be Together
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X