No announcement yet.

Terry Pratchett/Diskworld Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HTB just said Eric Idle should be Rincewind, or the guy that was Arthur Dent in the HHGG Film (I forget his name), and Warwick Davis in a dreadful quality ape suit as the Librarian, we'll have none of this fancy CGI here thankyou

Comment

Martin Freeman... intersting choice, actually for Rincewind.
      I'd like to see unknowns in the main roles (boring aren't I?) because I've imagined these characters for so many years... to have a famous face fitted to them would kind of end that for me...
      But I've always thought in terms of looks RDA would make a good Vimes... But he's a bit tall... Plus, I don't know if he could carry off the dark broody-ness. Has everyone here read the spoilers for the new book?
      It looks good... (for a Vimes fangirl like me, anyway!)
      Check out bonsaidiscworld if you haven't and would like to!

Comment

Eric Idle as Rincewind would be brilliant. I think RDA could get the Vimes attitude, but I have to hear Vimes speak with a British accent, and I'm not sure accents are RDA's strong suit. I'd love to see Ewan McGregor as somebody just cos I think he's a great actor. And I've always seen Michael Clarke Duncan as Mr. Tulip (I think that was the big guy's name) from The Truth.
        And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
        Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
        Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
        Daniel: Oh! You see?
        Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

I always figured Vimes as more of a Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry-ish type and I don't see RDA as that.

Might be funny to have some mega super ultra star cast as a cameo-type character. Sigourney Weaver as one of the Agony Aunts or Bruce Willis as Foul Ol' Ron.

Ewan MacGregor as a pre-Hogfather background role of Mr. Teatime.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            ooooo, Cliff as Vetinari. THAT would be awesome. And scary.

How about Chris Barrie as Rincewind? Rimmer from Red Dwarf. We know he can do spineless, anyway. Then Cleese as the Bursar.
            Cliff as Vetenari because playing Ba'al he always had a sense of people would get what was coming to them, which to me would fit quite well for Vetenari. I'm sure he could manage it. Sort of calm, regal and someone who emanates the aura of being very very bad to cross.
            I could see Barrie as Rincewind but maybe I've been influence by his voicing the Simon the Sorceror games.
            Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            Ewan MacGregor as a pre-Hogfather background role of Mr. Teatime.
            Strangely enough that doesn't sound that strange.
            Originally posted by Perriman33
            David jason as cut-me-own-throat-dibbler?
            Might work but I never saw Dibbler as being as old as Jason is now... Could easily see Nicholas Lyndhurst ("Rodney Trotter") as the character instead.
            Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
            Eric Idle as Rincewind would be brilliant.
            He was great voicing Rincewind in the pc game. One thing that I'm not clear on is how old Rincewind is. In the illustrations he looks like he has grey hair but they gave ginger hair in the game, which obviously makes him look quite young - and confuses me as to which is correct and obviously makes my casting guesses difficult. Hoping someone here could correct me.
            Originally posted by mazzmatazz
            HTB just said Eric Idle should be Rincewind, or the guy that was Arthur Dent in the HHGG Film (I forget his name), and Warwick Davis in a dreadful quality ape suit as the Librarian, we'll have none of this fancy CGI here thankyou
            Martin Freeman? Couldn't really see him as Rincewind so much, not a bad idea but I can just see others as better choices. But I'd say he would be good for someone, must be, just who?

Warwick Davis as the librarian would be fab and much prefered to a cgi character, though I'm sure they'd need it somewhere, for jumping maybe. Always something that needs enhancing.
            Originally posted by mazzmatazz
            I'd love to see Alan Rickman as someone... the voice of death is perhaps too cliche though.
            Cliche but very good. I loved him as the voice of Marvin in H2G2 and he could probably do Death justice. That or get Christopher Lee back.

Bet Richard E Grant would be good for someone too but who?
            And anyone got any ideas on Carrot? Or even Angua? Susan.
            Sorry, having too much fun with the casting game.

Comment

My problem with "Fantasy Discworld Movie" is that all the actors who would be pitch perfect for the roles are all dead.

for example I always pictured Spike Milligan as the Bursar, and Jemes Robertson Justice as Ridcully.

Of course, younger members of this forum whon't have a clue who James Robertson Justice is...
              (Wanders off, muttering darkly to himself about "Young people today...")
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Just finished Nigtwatch last week (nothing like revision to get you reading books you haven't finished) - one thing I didn't get was
                Spoiler:
                why Vetenari was wearing the violet in the original timeline, when he wasn't there so to speak until Vimes' Keel survived the barricade and had the fight that the young Veternari also fought in after the apparent death of 'Keel' and Carcer... feel like I'm missing something or that there's a misunderstnading of mine over the time traveling used.

Next on my reading list, visiting relatives for next few days perfect for reading, is Monstrous regiment.

Comment

Time travel's tricky. [SPOLIERS]I think the point was that there never was a Keel mentor, only Vimes-As-Keel. It's that confusing thing of you've already done something since it's in the past, you just haven't done it yet. (headache). So, techinically Vetinari was always there.[/SPOILERS]At least, that's what I remember thinking, but it's been awhile since I read that one. And I LOVED Monstrous Regiment, enjoy!
                  And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                  Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                  Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                  Daniel: Oh! You see?
                  Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

I must admit since reading through all the replies ive started reading the discworld books all over again.So far im up to Guards Guards which is the first one i remember reading all those years ago.Any ideas what the next book will be? I had to laugh at Bruce Willis as Foul Ole Ron its just so him! Mike Myers as rincewind might work as well!

Comment

I must admit since reading through all the replies ive started reading the discworld books all over again.So far im up to Guards Guards which is the first one i remember reading all those years ago.Any ideas what the next book will be? I had to laugh at Bruce Willis as Foul Ole Ron its just so him! Mike Myers as rincewind might work as well!
                      Sean Bean as Vimes. Chris Eccleston as Carrot. Sylvester McCoy as Nobby. Mel Smith as Fred Colon.
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
                        Sean Bean as Vimes. Chris Eccleston as Carrot. Sylvester McCoy as Nobby. Mel Smith as Fred Colon.
                        Mel smith,is he still alive? I was thinking more johnny vegas as colon

Comment

Mel smith,is he still alive? I was thinking more johnny vegas as colon
                          Mel Smith is still around as far as I know, but he's more of a director that actor/performer these days.
                          I kind of picture Johnny Vegas as one of Nanny Ogg's innumerable brood.
                          sigpic

Comment

Mel Smith is still around as far as I know, but he's more of a director that actor/performer these days.
                            I kind of picture Johnny Vegas as one of Nanny Ogg's innumerable brood.
                            Or nanny ogg herself! How about Tom Cruise as carrot ( on stilts of course)

Comment

Or nanny ogg herself! How about Tom Cruise as carrot ( on stilts of course)
                              Johnny Vegas in drag?!? (shudder) There will now be a brief pause while I gouge out my eyeballs...
                              sigpic

Comment

Johnny Vegas in drag?!? (shudder) There will now be a brief pause while I gouge out my eyeballs...
                                Just gouge one for the moment mate, you'll need something left in case he appears naked.
                                How about a favourite book?

Comment

Working...
                                X