No announcement yet.

Terry Pratchett/Diskworld Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did hear at some point the next book is a Granny Weatherwax story. She's one of my all-time favs (despite my name), so I really hope that's true.
    And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
    Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
    Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
    Daniel: Oh! You see?
    Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
      I've read a few. I liked The Dark Side of the Sun not Discworld though. I've read the first Three Discworlds which i found OK but rather too strange and disconected. I've laos read Monsturous Regiment Which not to put to fine a point on it ROCKED
      Ooo I'm just over a third into Montrous Regiment and am very much enjoying it. Never read any TP before (watched Truckers as a kid, think i had a book aswell come to think of it) but i was bought it for xmas and i lurve it!

Comment

Originally posted by SallyLizzie
        Ooo I'm just over a third into Montrous Regiment and am very much enjoying it. Never read any TP before (watched Truckers as a kid, think i had a book aswell come to think of it) but i was bought it for xmas and i lurve it!
        Oh I loved that one! The end is priceless. I'd recommend reading the Vimes books because once you really know that character, his cameos in M.R. are hysterical. (Also, Vimes IMHO is one of Pratchett's all-time best characters).
        And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.

Comment

Vimes and Death are my hands-down faves. Although I rather like Susan, too. Never cared for Rincewind, despite his being one of the supposedly most beloved characters in Discworld.

Comment

The more of TPs Discworld books you read the better it gets. I like the fact he has links to characters in other books, it makes the world seem more real. Well as real as you can get with a disc shaped world 4 elephants and a turtle travelling through space anyway. I think Going Postal was one of my favourites so far, living in England where the mail service is similar helped. I think the librarian has to be my fave character, life seems to be much simpler when all you look forward to is the next banana.

Comment

Yeah, they're up there along with Granny Weatherwax for me. It's hard to narrow it down, but the wizards aren't my favs, which helps with that (except for Hex, as evidenced by my name). Oh, and Lu-Tze. He kicks a**!

Comment

The witches haven't really done much for me, either (though I LOVE Greebo!) but I'm beginning to like Granny more through the Nac Mac Feegle books. And the Feegle are pretty funny, themselves.

Comment

War: "We've got ... let's see now ... Egg and Cress, Chicken Tikka, and Mature Cheese with Crunchy Pickle, I think."
                  Death: THEY DO SUCH MARVELLOUS THINGS WITH SANDWICHES THESE DAYS.
                  War: "Oh ... and Bacon Surprise."
                  Death: REALLY? WHAT IS SO SURPRISING ABOUT BACON?
                  War: "I don't know. I suppose it comes as something of a shock to the pig."

Death is probably my favourite, followed by the luggage. Although I do like Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler and his various counterparts in foreign climes

Comment

Originally posted by mazzmatazz
                    Death is probably my favourite, followed by the luggage. Although I do like Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler and his various counterparts in foreign climes
                    I have to say out of the earlier books I love the luggage. I'm pretty happy with Rincewind but that's probably helped by his random survival skills and being voiced by Eric Idle in the PC games. Has the luggage been in any recent books? I'm still quite a bit behind on reading them, got about 8 recent ones on loan from a bookaholic friend.

Comment

Terry Pratchett is one of my favourite authours! I love the Discword series, my fave characters are Vimes and Death

Comment

Yay a Pratchett thread I'm kinda obssesed with Discworld. I've got so many fav character its hard to chose, but I'd have to say that at the top of my list are Death, Vimes, Carrot, Nanny Ogg, Ridcully, Foul Ol'Ron, Cohen, Mad Hamish and of corse Vetinari. But my fav most resent one is Not-As-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Jock-But-Bigger-Than-Wee-Jock-Jock (I think I just like the name )

Originally posted by Purpleyin
                        I have to say out of the earlier books I love the luggage. I'm pretty happy with Rincewind but that's probably helped by his random survival skills and being voiced by Eric Idle in the PC games. Has the luggage been in any recent books? I'm still quite a bit behind on reading them, got about 8 recent ones on loan from a bookaholic friend.
                        The illustrated book from 2001 'The Last Hero' has Rincewind and the Luggage

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
                        DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

Have read good omens which was great and a few others from that series but have got overwhelmed with just how many books he's written!!

Comment

Originally posted by Imo
                            The illustrated book from 2001 'The Last Hero' has Rincewind and the Luggage
                            Ah, I should have remembered - I've actually read that one!

Just a quick question, has anyone played the PC games?

I played the first, nearly finished it but got stuck and played part of the second but it was on loan from a firend so had to give it back, but I've completed Discworld Noir and have to say that was really quite good. I think what was best about it (other than my general love for adventures games) was it had a plot that I haven't seen in any of the books, so you don't actually already know what should happen.

That said the first game was sort of the other side of the story for, I think, "Guards! Guards!". Didn't play 2nd game enough to be able to remember what book it was based on, possibly the one where the dead rise?

Comment

Originally posted by BritAngie
                              Have read good omens which was great and a few others from that series but have got overwhelmed with just how many books he's written!!
                              Good Omens is still one of my faves and I'm still heartbroken that the movie deal fell through. Terry Gilliam was set to direct. That dude is seriously twisted. If ANYONE were capapble of bringing Good Omens (or any of the Duscworld books) to life, it'd be Terry.

I was skimming over Gaiman's blog yesterday and he had a link to an article on Terry where he mentioned Good Omens falling through. Apparently JOHNNY DEPP was going to be Crowley and Robin Williams was gonna be Aziraphael. *boggles* Depp as Crowley. *boggles* People would have been so all over that it isn't even funny. And we missed out on it. Damn.

Comment

I heard that a discworld film was in the making! From what i can gather they were waiting for computer graphics to get to a certain level before starting. I presume this means most of the backgrounds will be CGI. Any ideas who would be good for the parts?

Comment

Working...
                                X