Terry Pratchett/Diskworld Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Naeara
    To Say Nothing of the Dog is a fantastic book. I just loved it. I haven't read Bellwether though. How does that one compare?

As for TP, the Discworld series is definitely one of my favourites. I love the Witches (and Death too, of course ). I just got finished with The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky and I'm about to start on Going Postal. I still have Thud! to read too.
    Thud! is hilarious. There's a scene where Nobby and Fred Colon are "proceeding", and they're discussing Nobby's girlfriend, who happens to be a pole-dancer...

That's the thing about Mr. P. he's that rarest of rare things, an author that's laugh-out-loud funny.

I was having a discussion with some like minded friends a couple of months ago, and we concluded that the reason there hasn't been a Discworld movie is fear. The movie producers are so scared they'll get it totally wrong, cock it up, and there'll be an angry mob of Prathcett fans waving pitchforks and baying for their blood.
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
      Thud! is hilarious. There's a scene where Nobby and Fred Colon are "proceeding", and they're discussing Nobby's girlfriend, who happens to be a pole-dancer...
      Nobby with a pole-dancing girlfriend. Sounds...interesting. LOL. I'm still trying to burn the image of Nobby dressed as a woman in Jingo from my mind.

Comment

Nobby... with a girlfriend?! The mind boggles...

As for casting for the film, having just watched Gormenghast my head is full of memories of good British actors. I'm thinking Ian Richardson would make a good wizard, possibly the bursar. Mark Williams could be a great wizard too, and I'm not just saying that because he was one in the Harry Potter films - Martin Clunes too after seeing him as a professor in Gormenghast.

Thing is if they ever feasibly made a film, would they go book by book or condense stuff or even have whole new story for it to introduce characters?

Also I can't shake the feeling that Simon Pegg would make a good young wizard, maybe Ponder Stibbons or maybe just one of the other ones who were working on Hex. And I can't identify what role he'd be good for but I get the feeling Sean Hughes would be good for some one, just can't think who...

I need to catch up on my Pratchett reading this Christmas, so many new books to read - luckily my housemate buys them all as soon as and then lends them to me.

Comment

Ok, this is gonna go right over most people's heads, but - I think legendary mad Brit musician Roy Wood should have a cameo part in a Discworld movie.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

i just rewatched the hogfather and oh my god i love it! the man is a genius
            susan- grand daughter of death, has similar powers to him, she just wants to be normal but cant be.

death-doesnt fully understand humans, but is intreauged by them, he cannot enter another magical creatures domain unless it no longer exists ( as in the castle of bone)

albert- a disgruntled wizard who tried to cheat death, his spell backfired and he ended up working for him, albert will frey ANYTHING

death- albert is frying chrsitmas pudding......
            mr tea time- a psychopath given the duty of inhuming (killing) the hogfather.

the hogfather- a take on our santa clause, he rides a sleigh pulled by giant pigs.

i think terry did a great job with this. so tell us your views
            (PS. shadowmaat i love your avvy teehee )
            sigpic

I'm not dead. Yet.

Comment

Love the book, mostly love the film, although I still say Marc Warren got Teatime (Tay-ah-tah-may) all wrong. *sigh* I need to re-read the book (for the dozenth time) and figure out what's different, beyond the obvious.

*huggles her avvy*

Gonna need to find something to replace my av and sig now that Hogswatch is over.

Ooo, and I got a turtle ornament for the tree. All I could think was that it was the Great A'tuin... minus the elephants and the Disc.

Comment

havent read the book yet but i was fascinated by the movie i found death the funniest....i hope that didnt sound too morbid lol
                sigpic

I'm not dead. Yet.

Comment

Well, I was going to make a Discworld appreciation post, but looky what the search function brought up.

Seems a bit pointless now...

Though apparently Sky One are now planning on making "The Colour of Magic" into a tv movie like Hogfather, unfortunately they want to cast David Jason as RINCEWIND! Even after he played Albert! Strikes me personally that Nicholas Lindhurst would be a better Rincewind...

Anyway, as for books, Small Gods is my favourite.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I recently snagged a BBC Radio adaptation of Small Gods which I really enjoyed. I've been listening to some of the others and they've ranged from mediocre to unlistenable.

Dunno about adapting Colour of Magic. As I said before, I didn't really enjoy the story and I'd agree about the wrongness of David Jason to play Rincewind. It isn't even that he's already played Albert, it's that he's nothing at all like how I pictured Rincewind.

Comment

I liked Colour of Magic a lot, but I'm in severe doubt as to its suitability for adapatation for a family christmas movie, it's a little too... fantasy, if that makes sense? Hogfather, at least felt only mildly fantasy. But with C of M we're talking Dungeons and Dragons stuff...

With todays politics, I reckon Jingo would be good... but aside from that there's maybe Mort? Or even Wyrd Sisters would be a good one. Althought I like the idea of Guards! Guards!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Mort might be kinda fun, or Small Gods, since you mentioned it. And speaking of politics, a certain vicious part of me thinks Monstrous Regiment might be a fun choice. I dunno how well that'd translate to the small screen, though.

I'd dearly love to see a movie about the Watch, but on the other hand I think it could only disappoint, especially if Hogfather is their idea of what Nobby looks like.

Comment

This is true, Nobby proved to be a dissapointment to me in Hogfather. Ha, I'd loike to see Small Gods played at Christmas! That would REALLY go down well... But yeah... Monstrous Regiment, I could see that working.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Saw Pirates 3 today and finally hit on a good match for Rincewind: Mackenzie Cook, who plays that pirate with the wooden eye. I think he's probably too young for the part, but he has the right look IMO. Gangly and awkward and parts that don't quite seem to match.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                              Saw Pirates 3 today and finally hit on a good match for Rincewind: Mackenzie Cook, who plays that pirate with the wooden eye. I think he's probably too young for the part, but he has the right look IMO. Gangly and awkward and parts that don't quite seem to match.
                              No no no no nooooooooooo

Nicholas Lindhurst! AKA Rodney Trotter!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

For Rincewind, I reckon Eric Idle would be awesome.
                                He voiced him brilliantly in a couple of games, and I think he would look right too.

Comment

Working...
                                X