No announcement yet.

Terry Pratchett/Diskworld Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Nac Mac Feegle are fantastic - "Bigjobs!" "ther' cann only be one thousand" Plus Nanny Ogg is Brilliant. Although if the words to the hedgehog song are similar to some i've heard, it's no wonder she's infamous for her singing!!

Comment

(I've merged two threads, so if it looks like anyone is double-posting it isn't their fault)

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by dogbertisgod
        Is it just me, or were any other Discworld fans not too keen on 'Thief of time'?It was okay,but just a tad confusing for me. Although saying that,Jingo was supposed to be rubbish and i liked it.
        I've never heard of any bad things about Jingo, quite the contary most people say it's one of the best.

As for The Thief of Time? For me it's my #1 favorite of all the Disc books. For the cosmic scale threat and the badass that is Lu-Tze. Lu-Tze is my favorite Disc character, period.

Comment

I interviewed Terry at the Discworld convention earilier this year, he is an absolute doddle to get a good story out of, as anecdote, as well as on paper. Of course I was wearing Evil Corset of Doom (at his request, I might add), with which to distract the audience.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm going to require more information on the Evil Corset of Doom.
            Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

Originally posted by michelleb
              I'm going to require more information on the Evil Corset of Doom.
              You know, I couldn't find a google of me in Evil Corset of Doom! I'm obviously slipping (but if you google on freshly shagged milk maid... you get me in a medievel corset).
              I'm MCing the Masquerade at Worldcon next year in Glasgow, I'll be wearing the corset for that. It's black and sliver and I bought it at Worldcon in Philly, I love it.
              sigpic

Comment

Forgive me if I'm backtracking a bit here, but once upon a time I dimly recall hearing that Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman were attempting to write a sequel to Good Omens to be called - wait for it - 668: The Neighbour of the Beast.

As for best Discworld line ever, my vote goes with Death in Mort: "I don't know about you, boy, but I could murder a curry."
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Just about everything Death says is awesome.

Hadn't heard about a possible sequel to Good Omens, but I'd LOVE to see it. That's one of my favoritest books.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    Just about everything Death says is awesome.

Hadn't heard about a possible sequel to Good Omens, but I'd LOVE to see it. That's one of my favoritest books.
                    The line forms behind me and circles the planet several times on that one I'm afraid.

The problem is that both Terry and Neil are both waaay too busy with their own projects to collaborate on anything in the near future.

There's a new book of Discworld art by Paul Kidby out now, sort of a Dicsworld Portfolio Vol. 2 kind of thing.
                    sigpic
                    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      LOVE the guards, though. I even have the graphic novel of Guards! Guards! ...
                      I wanna say there's some theatre troupe in London that puts on productions of Pterry's stuff. Would love to see THAT some day.
                      Oh yes! Vimes is my favourite character...

My theatre group is putting on Guards! Guards! in February...
                      We're only a Youth Theatre but under the superb direction of, uh, me and my friend ( ) I'm hopeful we'll put on a pretty decent production.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunar
                        Oh yes! Vimes is my favourite character...

My theatre group is putting on Guards! Guards! in February...
                        We're only a Youth Theatre but under the superb direction of, uh, me and my friend ( ) I'm hopeful we'll put on a pretty decent production.
                        So far I've seen my local Youth Theatre's production of Mort (pretty good, but the guy playing Death was a bit on the podgy side), an open air drama student production of Hogfather (very good indeed), and a professional production of Guards! Guards! in Edinburgh (which starred Paul Darrow as Vimes and was fabulous).

You have got to include the business about "The door through which knowlessmen may not pass sticks something wicked in the damp", it's one of my favourite scenes in the novel.
                        sigpic

Comment

Just wondering if there's any Terry Pratchett fans out there? My boyfriend got me addicted to the novels and he has quickly become my favorite author, but it seems most people in the States have never heard of him! Any favorite characters, books, etc.??
                          And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                          Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                          Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                          Daniel: Oh! You see?
                          Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Loads of fans are lurking out there. In fact, a thread was already started for Pratchett fans, it's just fallen to the wayside.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=4870

Death and Vimes are my favorites.

Comment

I've got a soft spot for Ridcully, Archchancellor of Unseen University.
                              DEATH is cool too - "I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BOY, BUT I COULD MURDER A CURRY..." classic stuff.
                              sigpic

Comment

Getting into all the non-SG threads around could not resist this one.

I got introduced to Terry Pratchett with "Johnny and the Dead" and then Truckers etc but I've always had a particular soft spot for the whole Discworld series. Haven't read them all yet but then he has been writing pretty quick these last few years and I can never afford to buy them fullprice or hardback. Right now I've got about the latest 8 on loan from a friend who spends silly amonuts of money on books, not that I'm complaining. For some reason I'm 2/3 through Nightwatch and almost finished Hogfather. Used to not be able to stop reading but life is getting in the way more frequently now I'm at university.

I think my favourite charaters are (quite a few I know but hard not to like - in terms of interest - even the evilest ones in his books, pretty hard to choose for me), Rincewind and the Luggage, Death, Susan, Angua, Vimes, the Bursar, Ponder Stibbons, Agnes, Ridcully, Greebo (my kinda cat ), Hex (if only it exsited...) and very recently I'm particularly enjoying Vetenari alot...

Anyone played the games? I almost finished the first one (got some weird bug in the game where it wouldn't let me do what I knew I needed to do to get to that last cut scene. Grr) and I completed Discworld noir which was quite an enjoyable change from the books, given that as far as I know none of that was in any.

Comment

Working...
                                X