No announcement yet.

Terry Pratchett/Diskworld Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked the Three Horsemen And One Pedestrian of the Apocalypse, after the Four Horsemen had stopped for a drink at a pub where Binky got nicked.

I also like Dwarfbread, the bread that ensures that you never go hungry. It works on the principle that someone might think they're hungry, then look in their backpack and see their Dwarfbread and think "on second thoughts I'm not really hungry after all." I'm sure Dwarfbread was the inspiration for Nutrigrain bars.

Madeleine

Comment

Discworld is one of the most engrossing worlds ever writen on paper. Greatest series ever, I can't pin point a spesific thing I enjoy more, because it's all one great big pot of good.

Going Postal is excelent. So are the Jr. Novels The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky that disc fans may have over looked.

Comment

I like the Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, too. I was surprised when I reread one of the early discworld novels and found a reference to them.

Ooo, and the Johnny series was pretty good, too. And Only You Can Save Makind.

Comment

Originally posted by the adventurer
          Discworld is one of the most engrossing worlds ever writen on paper. Greatest series ever, I can't pin point a spesific thing I enjoy more, because it's all one great big pot of good.

Going Postal is excelent. So are the Jr. Novels The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky that disc fans may have over looked.

i read those two...they had granny weatherwax in! i loved them, found them amazingly atmospheric and spooky as well as funny. and yes, the amazing maurice and his rodents too...that was hysterical, and johnny and the dead...the only ones i haven't read are the truckers series.
          Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

The Truckers series is OK. Not quite as engaging a read, but I still read all of them.

However, I was utterly unable to get into The Carpet People. I think I managed ten or twenty pages before giving up.

Next I wanna try the Unadulterated Cat.

Comment

Dad read the Truckers series to me as a kid and I've read the Johnny series as well. Both cool! Not really managed to get into the Discworld series.
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I've read a few. I liked The Dark Side of the Sun not Discworld though. I've read the first Three Discworlds which i found OK but rather too strange and disconected. I've laos read Monsturous Regiment Which not to put to fine a point on it ROCKED
                sigpic
                Banner By JME2

Comment

I think my favourite line in all his books is from Nanny Ogg.

A crowd has gathered, and Ogg wants to see what's happening, so she just elbows her way through, saying
                  "Excuse me, out of the way, nosey person coming through!"
                  sigpic

Comment

I love Death. He's so awesome with his love of cats and his taste for curry (although "taste" probably isn't the right word). That whole scene with Albert trying to explain Schrodinger's experiment to Death in Last Hero ranks as one of my favoritest scenes of all.

Susan has some good stuff, too. Particularly, "I don't frighten easily, but you'd be amazed at how angry I can become."

Hogfather is my annual Hogswatch- I mean, Christmas read.

Comment

I thought the librarian building a chopper in "Soul Music", only to get it stolen by Death was funny, and the "Oh bugger" as he runs out of road had me in hysterics!
                      sigpic

Comment

Born to Rune. I've seriously considered putting that on a jacket of my own. Jean, though, not leather.

Comment

All I can say is "I gotta club. 's gotta nail in it."

You just can't beat that good ol' "music with rocks in"

I've always liked some of the stand alone DW novels, such as "Pyramids".
                          I loved the worlds greatest mathematitian You B*****d the camel, Ptracey, and the palace cats. Mrs. SeaBee, however, couldn't get into it.
                          Last edited by SeaBee; 08 October 2004, 06:28 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

We're mean and turf an' we're mean and turf and we're mean an' turf an' me and my friends can walk towards you with our hats on backwards in a menacing way! Yo!

Or something like that. hehe

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              We're mean and turf an' we're mean and turf and we're mean an' turf an' me and my friends can walk towards you with our hats on backwards in a menacing way! Yo!

Or something like that. hehe
                              LOL! I'd forgotten that! Definately one of his finest books. It's been a while, I'll have to track my copy down and spend some time wiht it this weekend.
                              sigpic

Comment

Is it just me, or were any other Discworld fans not too keen on 'Thief of time'?It was okay,but just a tad confusing for me. Although saying that,Jingo was supposed to be rubbish and i liked it. Mainly I'll admit for Nobby Nobbs as Beti!! 'Night Watch' was Very good though,a bit darker tha the rest,which i must say i enjoyed. Although Monstrous Regiment i found slightly disappinting. A bit predictable.

By the way, you guys/gals heard about the 'Troll Bridge' film? Don't know what it'll be like,but hopeful none the less.

Comment

Working...
                                X