Terry Pratchett/Diskworld Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Naonak;7159252]What's it like?

I haven't got it yet, as I normally get them in paperback, but I think I'll make an exception in this case... [QUOTE]

Well, to be honest, there was a distinct lack of moments. But there still enough bits and pieces of business to keep you chuckling away to yourself.

If you are going to get the hardback, Waterstones is your best bet. Half price and with the set of four Ankh-Morkpork banknotes - $1, $5, $10, and $50.

Waterstones have done similar promotions with the publication of Going Postal (replica Ankh-Morpork stamps. A set of which is currently for sale on e-bay for £75.), and Thud! (a replica Ankh-Morpork City Watch warrant card.)
    sigpic
    Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
    To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
    And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Read the book, liked it, but got gypped on any bank notes. I don't live near a Waterstones, though. Or any other chains.

Comment

My first time in this part of the forums and, yay, I'm so happy I found a thread in which I can talk Discworld! I've recently gotten on a Discworld kick of sorts and am re-re-re-reading a lot of the novels. As is my wont in such circumstances, I wrote a long and involved analysis of an aspect of the universe. You can read it on the LJ Discworld community: Gods and demons and anthropomorphic personifications! Oh, my!

I'm still searching my way through the series for references to use in arguing (at all) the topic, having only typed up excerpts from The Color of Magic, so if anyone has recommendations along these lines, I'd be very grateful. Well, any comments would be welcome.

After I get through a few more books, I hope to write something about Rincewind, too.

Unfortunately, I'm second-to-last in a long line of holds on Making Money at my local library. Which means it may be another half-year before I can read Pterry's latest work. If only I had the time to sit in Borders or Barnes & Noble or wherever and browse a bit... Might as well wish for more money or less bills, I guess. <sigh>
        The fact is I think I am a verb instead of a personal pronoun. A verb is anything that signifies to be, to do, or to suffer. I signify all three.

Comment

For those who haven't heard the bad news, Pterry has been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's.

Gods, how horrible...

Comment

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Think positive thoughts for the maestro ladies n' germs.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
                Oh that is bad news, I'll definitely be sending good thoughts and prayers his way.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what books a newbie to the works of Pratchett should start with? I've had a couple of eye operations and can not read very well at the moment so I'm working my way through the local library's audio book collections and I was about to start in on Terry's works but there are an awful lot of them and I'm not sure which to start with or whether it matters to read certain books in sequence.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
                -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what books a newbie to the works of Pratchett should start with? I've had a couple of eye operations and can not read very well at the moment so I'm working my way through the local library's audio book collections and I was about to start in on Terry's works but there are an awful lot of them and I'm not sure which to start with or whether it matters to read certain books in sequence.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
                  I'd go with either Mort, or Guards Guards. But that's just my opinion.
                  sigpic

Comment

Definitely skip the first two. They aren't essential to the series and you can always go back to them once you're firmly hooked. Although I'd still recommend skipping Colour of Magic.

Comment

I'd go with either Mort, or Guards Guards. But that's just my opinion.
                      Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                      Definitely skip the first two. They aren't essential to the series and you can always go back to them once you're firmly hooked. Although I'd still recommend skipping Colour of Magic.
                      Thanks!
                      -

Comment

If I remember correctly, when I started reading his stuff years ago I started with Witches Abroad (but there where only a few books out then) and didn't stop laughing.

I'd be hard pressed to decide whether I prefer the Death, witches or guards books.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                          For those who haven't heard the bad news, Pterry has been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's.

Gods, how horrible...
                          Agreed ,Shadow.
                          I read the news yesterday and felt terribly sad ,as one of my Sisters In Law is in the terminal stage of the disease.
                          Here's hoping Terry can keep a normal life for a long time to come ,and that a breakthrough comes in medical treatment soon enough to help him (and of course all the other sufferers).

Already on that ,Brutak .

*Goes off to reread Pterry's books for possibly the thousandth time *
                          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Heads up ,Pratchett fans !

The TV adaptation of "The Colour Of Magic" will premiere on Easter Sunday at 6pm -8 pm Sky One ( Part 1).
                            Part 2 on Easter Monday 6-8 pm ,same channel.( Also on Sky HD channel .)

Cast :
                            David Jason (Rincewind)
                            Twoflower (Sean Astin)
                            Cohen (David Bradley)
                            Trymon (Tim Curry)
                            Death (Christopher Lee)

I think the wonderful Pterry is doing a cameo too,like he did in Hogfather.

The tv version combines his books "The Light Fantastic" with "The Colour Of Magic" ,so it's going to be interesting to see how this turns out .

Comment

If Sky are gonna make this an annual event, I'd like to see them tackle "Guards! Guards!" next.

Somehow, if we could get Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter movies) to grow by about a foot and bulk him up a bit, he'd be perfect to play Carrot. He's got just the right expression of gormlessness about him.
                              sigpic

Comment

Great ideas !
                                They could easily boost Rupert's height by using the same camera tricks that were used in LOTR .

I'd love to see Sam Vimes and the guys brought to the screen.

The Witches would be great too.

Comment

Working...
                                X