No announcement yet.

Terry Pratchett/Diskworld Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amen to that Shadow. I'd followed it for awhile, and poor Terry Gilliam just doesn't have very good luck. Perriman33, where'd you hear about a discworld film?
    And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
    Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
    Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
    Daniel: Oh! You see?
    Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

I had a search online after it was mentioned here and all I can find was mention of 3 fan films. One now abandonned but well planned by alt.fan.pratchett production of Maskerade that never made it to filming, a low budget production of Lords & Ladies condoned by Pratchett and also a fan production of Pratchett's short story Trollbridge. Couldn't find news of any other big budget films though.

Lords and Ladies site
      http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/...LnL/index.html

Trollbridge site
      http://www.snowgumfilms.com/trollbridge/index.htm
      Last edited by Purpleyin; 23 May 2005, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
        Perriman33, where'd you hear about a discworld film?
        My missus was a unit driver for tvshows and films. She met a cameraman who said he was being hired next year for one of the discworld novels. He asked if it was useful to read all the books. To be fair production companies pick-up and drop shows/films all the time, so it may have been shelved until funding was sorted. Sorry to get hopes up But i think the train of thought was -if they can do harry potter books to films!

Comment

There have been rumors of a Dragonriders of Pern series/movie being made which have been floating around for years, too. Alas, I don't think that'll ever happen, either. Although with CGI being what it is today, I think they could do a fantastic job. Peter Williams even said Anne told him he'd make a perfect F'lar.

So in that vein, and to get this somewhat back on topic, how about casting a Discworld movie?

I think James Earl Jones as the voice of Death would probably be a little TOO obvious, but maybe Dennis Haysbert instead. I love him.

How about Steve Buscemi as Nobby?

Comment

How about bruce willis as vimes? Or Madonna as granny weatherwax Or Britney as magrat and Maggie smith as nanny ogg, no makeup needed there then Oh and Arnie as cohen

Comment

Interesting Times and Hogfather changed my life. I'm not kidding. Absolutely changed my life. There is one discworld book I have not read, it is Going Postal, the most recent. I have not read the truckers series, but that's not entirely my fault, it's hard to get that series on this side of the pond. I do however (thank you Hex) have an autographed copy of Good Omens. Sadly it is autographed by Gamen and not Prachett. Anycase. Yeah, he's the closest thing to an idol I've ever had.
              ~Teddy
              "When I started school it was considered a miracle for an ass to talk, now I'm not so sure." ~Anonymous

"I do not agree with what you say, but I defend to my death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

"Like Broadway, the novel, and God, feminism has been declared dead many times" ~Katha Pollit

"I'm a feminist and I don't care who knows it." ~Me

Comment

Truckers is available in the US, now, but it's in the kid's section along with the Amazing Maurice and the Feegle books.

The only ones I haven't read are Carpet People (which was so tedious I had to stop reading it after the first few pages) and Unadulterated Cat, which I skim through but haven't read completely.

And I can see Bruce doing Vimes, if we wanna go with big names, but I'm not sure about those other choices.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  How about Steve Buscemi as Nobby?
                  Steve Buscemi's great! He'd be perfect for Nobby

Comment

Teddy and I have often played the Discworld casting game. Off the top of my head, some of the ones I like: After seeing Calendar Girls, Helen Mirren and Julie Waters as Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg (Maggie Smith could prolly do a good Granny also), Ian McKellan as Vetinari, John Cleese as Ridcully (or the Bursar as the case may be), and Christopher Lee did the voice of Death in the cartoon movies quite.
                    And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                    Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                    Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                    Daniel: Oh! You see?
                    Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

BTW, is it ve-ti-nar-ee or ve-ti-nair-ee? I always said nar, but one of the recent books made me think that was wrong...

Ian McKellan would probably be good, although I have an aversion to too many big names in my own casting. I like unknowns better because then it's about the STORY and not about who's in it.

Comment

Hmm. Could see John Cleese as the bursar. For Veternari I'm just stuck on Cliff Simon... and I've just had the oddest idea of Simon Pegg as Rincewind (or maybe Ponder Stibbons?).

Comment

I must admit i prefer films to have lesser known actors, but it would be difficult to explain who some of the less well known people are. Also i think jackie chan as twoflower. And Orlando Bloom as the luggage cos his acting is a bit wooden

Comment

ooooo, Cliff as Vetinari. THAT would be awesome. And scary.

How about Chris Barrie as Rincewind? Rimmer from Red Dwarf. We know he can do spineless, anyway. Then Cleese as the Bursar.

Comment

Yeah Chris Barrie would be good as rincewind, havent seen him on the box lately though. David jason as cut-me-own-throat-dibbler?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                ooooo, Cliff as Vetinari. THAT would be awesome. And scary.

How about Chris Barrie as Rincewind? Rimmer from Red Dwarf. We know he can do spineless, anyway. Then Cleese as the Bursar.
                                Ohhh, that'd be perfect! I'd love to see Alan Rickman as someone... the voice of death is perhaps too cliche though.

Comment

Working...
                                X