No announcement yet.

Terry Pratchett/Diskworld Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paperbacks fit in my handbag and take up less space on the shelves, and at one a week, £3 is a lot. (If you're a skinflint. I'm a skinflint )

But about the book: odd in a good way? Or a bad way? Or just a "don't expect the usual pratchetesque romp" way?

Madeleine

Comment

I've been kinda meh about the book since I first heard about it. The plot doesn't sound like anything I'd read if it didn't have one of my favorite authors' names attached to it... and I'm not 100% convinced that his name is enough, although I'll probably read it eventually anyway.

Comment

From what I gather, the plot of Nation is something PTerry's had percolating away at the back of his mnd for some time.

Now just seemed like a good time to let it roam free, as it were.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I enjoyed Nation but it did feel odd. Are there any plans to write more in it's Universe? It seems a bit odd to me, to build up this alternate history and then set it on an island that could well be in our world with very little difference.

Comment

I've seen Pratchett books at the bookseller but it's always awful paperbacks where the type is so cheap it hurts my eyes. Can't stand cheap prints.

Comment

Finished listening to Nation. If it hadn't been an audiobook and I hadn't been at work I'm not sure I'd have gotten through the whole thing. The religion thing was oppressive and overbearing and inescapable and I really didn't enjoy it very much.

It started off as a fun story (tragic and horrible circumstances aside) and I wish it could have been more about the two main characters and their misadventures than the whole coming to term with the existence (or non-existence) of the gods and the more people that showed up the more... diluted things seemed to become.

I think I'll stick with the Discworld books from now on.

Comment

I absolutely love the Discworld series. I always come back to it when I need something light hearted and fun to read. It's usually what I go for if I need a pick up of some kind. Even though I might have already read the book before, I still get a lot of enjoyment out of doing so again.

As for characters, it's hard to say who would be my absolute favourite, but Vimes probably wins out over Rincewind and Death, but only after I read Snuff. I wish he would write another Rincewind novel.

I also love the various companions that come with discworld, science of discworld, folklore of discworld and the art projects etc.

I'm also a big fan of Terry's other works, Dodger and Nation were both great books.

I'm happy that the 3 movies made so far haven't been absolutely terrible. I was pleased that Terry had such a big input into them and thus they didn't end up like the last hitchhikers movie.
                sigpicIn Soviet Russia, sig read you.

Comment

has anyone read Raising Steam yet? it was amazing!

I was so happy to see Vimes and Moist in a book together.
                  sigpicIn Soviet Russia, sig read you.

Comment

Working...
                  X