Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say, that after three days, I just care less...
    On or two, it would only really matter to those who actually get annoyed by one of the 'kinds of Shippers'. Like majorsal said ^, it's all about the tolerance.

I think that when it comes down to it, we'd all settle. We're managing just fine with the main thread. To be honest, I personally always forget about the seperate discussion thread untill it shows up on page 1 of the C&R section...

So, yeah, the second thread would be OK to have, for those in need of it, but I do think we'll be carrying on as we are doing now. Have The One and then dust the discussion one off so every now and then. We could suck it up, I'm sure *shrugs*

But the name...
    S/J! Sam first!
    Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
    Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

other then the name thing, I wonder if we can keep the family thread which is pretty much the main thread the way it is where we can post fics/pics/discuss so on and so forth and now that people know of the discussion thread some of us will probably post there. And since we can't get things back to the old days, and I think most of us are happy with the family thread now, (and if something isn't broken don't fix it ) couldn't we just keep things how they are and change the names?

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
      Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
      Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

couldn't we just keep things how they are and change the names?
        yeah

the current options are
        keep both (with the resort getting merged somewhere) with both being renamed

merge all 3 into one with that one being renamed
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
          This is probably the teacher in me talking, but I ususally put Jack/Sam...because 'J' is first in the alphabet.

Although, that's just me...

Either way is fine, I love them either way.

they both =
          I tend to write it that way, too. Maybe it's instinctual to do it alphabetically, or maybe, the back of my mind, it's by age. <g> Or even by credit ranking. <shrug> I don't know for sure why I always prefer Jack/Sam and, ultimate, it really doesn't matter. Nobody is going to quit going to the thread(s) because of whose name is first.

I do still prefer to have two threads, though. It's not about getting along, but purely about time. If I have fifteen minutes to spend on GW in any given night, I'd go to the discussion thread first, and leave the all-things thread for another day when I have much more time. <shrug>
          - Mary
          SG1 needs it's Fifth Man - Why should we settle for less? Bring back Jonas Quinn!
          Jack O'Neill would die for any member of his team. But there's only one he'd live for: Samantha Carter.

Comment

Keep both.

Close the resort and let the high tide drag it out to sea.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              i'm having no probs with changing the name of the thread, since all the other ship threads are having this happen too. i actually think the more simple the name the better (it helps newbies find us more easily).

in an ideal world, i'd love to think that we'd only need one thread to handle ship discussions, and the shipper lounge for the peeps that want to chat and and such.

as of right now, the ship family discussion thread is basically a discussion thread, but fluff and captions and such already in it. we encourage shippers to go to the lounge for more private chat stuff, but it still slips in.

but i'm sure this will be a vote. my vote is:

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion thread, leaving out the 'family' line because it goes without saying. it might also confuse a newbie thinking that the thread is more a 'you must be a member of the family to post' thread than an actual discussion thread. once you come in and start posting, you're already part of the shipper community/family. it really goes without having to state it in the title, to me at least.
              Sally founded the thread...and she and trupi (who were also there when I arrived almost four years ago) agree on this point. So I agree too!
              Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              if people want one thread, i need to know that the option works for a majority. because once it's merged, it won't be unmerged. And this is a decision for both threads.

If a 'peaceful co-existence' has been found, then I want to keep it. And I don't want, three months down the line, to have a bunch of people upset or unhappy about 'losing their thread'
              I think the family has always been off-topic part of the time, and I've always felt we had to share both the good and the bad. People need to be understanding of those who are down, and people need to be willing to agree to disagree on some points. That being said, I never really saw a reason for the other thread, because I thought we should have worked these things out in the main Ship Thread.

The only places I've posted about S/J are in the main thread and the lounge...which Sky has pointed out is an OT thread in another part of the forum.

So...I'm good with this if everyone else is.

Comment

and like i said somewhere in the thread, i love that sam's name was first, because every single other ship couple i've seen listed has had the guy's name first. sam/jack is THE oldest stargate ship, and whoever named it in the first place... thank you for showing such respect to the female part of the ship, because usually, the female is just the second to the cool and LEADING man.

sam/jack's always been different. we don't even have nicknames for our ship, it's just the uber ship couple.

~~~

one or two threads, i'm going to continue to post primarily in the main thread, and that includes actual s/j and episode discussions. the only real thing i think that's stopping the one thread idea is a wee bit of lack of tolerance or patience.

but after all my babbling, i will go with what the majority of shippers want, and i'll not be a sore loser and i'll respect the wishes of the majority.

we are a community, not just a thread. i also feel that we're a sounding board, so to speak, on if the ptb want to know the vibe of the shippers. that's one of the reasons why i've been trying hard to keep the thread alive, because it's almost like keeping the ship alive, letting the ptb know we're still interested in it. it sends a message.

so any shipper that's reading this and has left the forum or is just a lurker; come to the thread (or come back) and be a part of the community.

Amen!!!

Comment

I have never been to the discussion thread, I didn't know there was another thread. The family thread is the first Sam/Jack thread I saw when I joined GW so I joined it. I don't post as often as the other members due to school, but I do enjoy it the way it is. I like the pic fics and randomness of it. Everyone is welcoming and friendly.
                  Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

yeah

the current options are

Well I'm pretty new at this forum thing ( u can tell by my post count) but I love the family aspect of the family thread - every one was so welcoming when I delurked. I was brought here by Shipmas fics mentioning the thread @ FF.net. Have never been to the discussion thread but will check it out now that I know about it.
                    I definitely think both threads should be maintained at least until after the 3 rd movie when we get our confirmation . Then maybe later w/ no new info they could be merged.
                    Once more is happening on the S/J front w/ the movie it would be nice to have the serious discussion thread for quick catch up.
                    I'm not particular on the names. I just want to be able to enjoy the picts, captions, fic recs and new friends I've made.

btw the family in the title did not scare me off - it actually attracted me.

Comment

yeah

the current options are

i'd hope we could keep the resort (for chatting) out of the main thread(s).
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

I think you are thinking about the shipper lounge. It's not going away and it's not even any concern to this reorganization stuff because it's in the Commissary or something, the place where posts don't count and threads can be about anything and nothing.

The resort was a refuge kind of thread and it was abandoned long ago.

Comment

I'm probably going to be a pain in the rear end while I catch up and MQ too many posts Sorry!

Originally posted by Seahen View Post
                          I have to say I agree. I don't like the idea that we can't have discussions on the Family thread (or whatever it ends up being called). And while we say now that discussion is okay, eventually people will say there's a thread for discussion and to go there. I feel we've broken up into enough cliques already. And frankly, I don't feel like I belong in any of them. Where's the person who's the jack of all trades, master of none supposed to hang out? I like discussion, but not only discussion. I like pictures, but not only pictures. I like fluff, but only fluff gets boring, I like gutter, but too much gutter is uncomfortable, I like angst, but too much angst can be depressing, etc etc...

Here here! The mix of everything on the family thread is what makes it so great, and is exactly the place for someone who loves all the aspects of S/J shipping to hang out.

The cliques do exist to a certain extent, but as someone who chooses not to belong to any of them (for the most part anyway) and ships in whatever way I feel like, to me they're not a problem. I just dip in an out of the fluff cloud, the gutter, the cavern and the thunk spot as and when I feel like it and when I have the time, engage in the discussions that crop up. And last but most definitely not least, ROFL at captions

what she said ^

i like all those things too. balance is nice...

i'd like to share something about my history as a shipper. when season 7 brought in pete and the s/j storyline, MANY shippers were upset. and this went on all the way until the end of season 8. then the very unhappy shippers left (because of storyline disappointment), but i stayed (because i have no life )...

but i was a very unhappy shipper. i became a lurker really, because i barely posted. but something very special happened... i saw ppl that weren't bitter like myself, come into the thread and celebrate what they loved. they didn't focus on what upset them like i did, they didn't continually look at things as the glass was half empty like i did... and pretty soon, i started feeling a bit brighter. i started being *able* to look at the nice things that had happened. their happy outlook had an effect on me, and all i had to do was let it in.

somewhat recently, though, even with all the good vibes we'd been getting from the ptb, some of my negativity started creeping back in. i think it's because i have this very real fear that the ship won't really be confirmed, or that if it is, it'll be very dull.

and it's when i'm like this that i especially appreciate the lighter shippers, because it's a good balance for me.

but while i don't want to dwell on the negativity, i also don't want to ignore it.

i'm from both worlds (happy and negative) and that yin yang... it's this kind of thinking that makes me go back to just ONE ship thread, for *all* ships points of view to be discussed and welcomed. could it work?...

but whatever is voted, i'll go along with it. i'm not leaving gateworld and i'm not leaving the shipper community. one is my home and the other is my family.
                          I'm not going anywhere either Sally I sometimes drift in and out cos of RL commitments, but I always come back to GW and the Family.

Your post is one of the main reasons that one thread works so well for so many people. I get down at times too, and the newer shippers with their enthusiasm gets my shippy mojo going again Even shippers who are mostly worried about what's going to happen and get very down about the ship keep coming back to the Family.

On reflection, I think you're right about the title not having Family in it, because we are soooo not an exclusive club, we welcome anyone to come join in with us, and the thread title should better reflect that. Like you said Sally, that doesn't stop us from still calling ourselves a Family and welcoming people into it in exactly the same way as we do now

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
                          LOL No worries! I was making fun myself with the suggestion. It was a joke that possibly was only funny to me (wouldn't be the first time! LOL) but I think there's another anthropologist on the thread somewhere who might like my silliness.

In any case, I was thinking about it, and I really don't see the flow of chat changing in the Family thread, no matter what it's called. I have said before, and I'll say it again, the way everyone participates in there is exactly in line with what I perceive the changes Darren et al. are trying to achieve throughout the rest of the forum. So, as long as we can name it in such a way that it conforms to the naming rules so we can still squee, picspam, discuss, and all the rest of it, it'll be good.

I'm still on the two thread wagon too. I mean, what if you had just discovered Stargate and wanted to engage people in an in depth discussion about Jack and Sam with all your newly found ideas? That may or may not happen in the family thread because people are distracted by squee, picspam, or an episode of the week or whatever. That person could go to the discussion thread so they can be for sure that they are heard and get a serious, uninterrupted chat going.
                          Amalthea, from my pov, I'd say the main S/J thread is just the place for that. I understand that comments do sometimes get lost in the amount of posts that happen, but more often than not, discussion is sparked off them.
                          Its exactly those sorts of newbies in the thread that keep discussion going and give us all a chance to re-hash our ideas Even as a long time shipper who's engaged in discussions about every aspect of S/J you can think of, that doesn't stop me from learning something new or gaining new understanding from re-discussing. As a point in case, Alan joined the S/J thread when he started watching SG-1 and posted enthusiastically about all his new impressions on Sam and Jack. He kick started a whole load of discussions, pic spams, captions etc.

You're right, they could go into a discussion thread and get uninterrupted chat going. But they would miss out on so much else not realising that discussion happens in the other thread too. Because as much as the idea of having separate threads for fun and discussion might sound like a good idea, it doesn't really happen that way. That's why there became 3 threads instead of one all that time ago, and why the other 2 threads never really kicked off that well. The majority of people like the mix of discussion and fun in the one place.

VSS - I'd say you're idea of watching through the seasons in readiness for the 3rd movie is a fantastic one I'm well up for that. Have you considered doing it in the thread?

Sorry if I'm starting to sound repetitive....I just have so much faith that the Family thread can survive anything because of the diversity and variety of shippers and shipping that happens in there. It's a great place, and I really don't want to see that change too much, or see the family split up into different factions of Discussion Only and Fun Only. I think the whole Family would lose at that point.

Edit: I've finished catching up now If we end up with 2 threads, am I right in thinking that the Family thread and the Discussion thread will go on pretty much as they are, just with name changes in line with the new naming thread policy?
                          Last edited by Oma-1; 23 March 2009, 02:19 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

not in the main area you won't. there's already a ship off topic thread in the main off topic area, so there's no need for a fourth sam and jack centric thread. The resort will get merged somewhere.

sigpic

Comment

ok, we're reaching the time to make a decision, please vote in the poll adn the mods will take this into consideration when we decide what to do with the Discussion and the Family thread.

Please note, the sam and jack thread in off topic will remain untouched and the Resort thread will either get closed or merged. So those two threads aren't open for discussion or debate. This poll is ONLY for the Family and Discussion thread

and i should add, this poll is ONLY open to participants of the two threads. We will go and check votes after it's closed and anyone that votes that isn't an active participant in the thread will have their vote discounted

sigpic

Comment

but i'm sure this will be a vote. my vote is:

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion thread, leaving out the 'family' line because it goes without saying. it might also confuse a newbie thinking that the thread is more a 'you must be a member of the family to post' thread than an actual discussion thread. once you come in and start posting, you're already part of the shipper community/family. it really goes without having to state it in the title, to me at least.
                                Originally posted by trupi View Post
                                Sounds good to me
                                Me too!
                                Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                                Jack O'Neill/Sam Carter Ship Discussion would be my vote for the name. I don't have any problems with merging the two threads.
                                The Resort one is an OT one, though, right? I would think should remain separate so as to keep as much of the OT chatter off the main thread as possible, yes?
                                If the resort is an OT thread and it merged with the Ship thread...it'll be in the characters and relationships thread wont it?
                                Do we need two threads to discuss the ship??
                                I hadn't heard of the resort...the lounge yes but not the resort. I'm really not fussed either way. So long as we have a Sam/Jack Ship Thread then I'm a happy camper!
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X