Lost City, Part 2 (722)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gateship15 View Post
    i love when he filled out the cross word in Ancient i also lied when he started talking in ancient. i can't believe he actually put the library of knowledge back in his brain when it almost killed him the first time
    I think he understood the risks but its his life vs the galaxy.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

That's what heroes do.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        That's what heroes do.
        And because of the classified nature of their job, very much unsung heroes at that.
        sigpic
        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

I love this episode.My favorite parts are when Jack shoot with drones and the big battle in Antarctica.

Comment

God yes. The battle over Antarctica has got to be the coolest and best done battles of the series. I hope that the next SG-1 movie has something like this. It gave the show a big budget theatrical feel. It was amazingly done.
            sigpic

Comment

You know what was ironic of this? After all the trouble they went to finding the lost city and its weapons, they never show Atlantis on SG1, or any of its "super" weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
                You know what was ironic of this? After all the trouble they went to finding the lost city and its weapons, they never show Atlantis on SG1, or any of its "super" weapons.
                That's because it was in another galaxy.

And, really, SG-1 was supposed to end and Atlantis was supposed to take over. It just didn't happen that way so the two series ran concurrently with one another. We do see ancient tech through to the end of SG-1, though.
                sigpic

Comment

In the original story, when season 7 was going to be the final one for SG1, Atlantis, not the outpost, was going to be found buried under the ice in Antarctica. That was the reason for the whole continental drift thing shown in the Procralush Taonas scene. Atlantis was once situated in Antarctica when the continent was closer to the equator, then over millions of years gradually drifted southward to the south polar region until the city was buried in ice. SGA was originally to have been based on Earth. When they renewed SG1 for an eighth season they changed the storyline and had Atlantis blast off for Pegasus 5-10 million years ago, before the ice could bury it, leaving just the outpost. This was to avoid conflicts between the two series, the most obvious one which would have had two stargates based on Earth.
                  My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

That makes a heck of a lot of sense, actually. I'd have loved to see more ancient tech found on earth since it was the Ancient's homeworld for a long time. It makes sense that they'd leave more than just the outpost on the planet. . .
                    sigpic

Comment

A good job Atlantis wasn't on earth. How the hell would they write out there were three gates on earth, and only one worked as the main gate?
                      Hell, I'm beginning to think earth is a stargate factory, no other planet has this many.

Comment

A good job Atlantis wasn't on earth. How the hell would they write out there were three gates on earth, and only one worked as the main gate?
                        Hell, I'm beginning to think earth is a stargate factory, no other planet has this many.
                        Well, as explained in an SG-1 episode, the gate that had a DHD was considered by the gate itself to be the main one. So the gate controlled at the SGC wouldn't be considered the main gate.

And so the gate on Atlantis would be considered the main gate because it is connected to its original power source.

Earth must have been a center of power for the Ancients (and later the goa'uld) so when one gate went missing, it was replaced fairly quickly.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                          Well, as explained in an SG-1 episode, the gate that had a DHD was considered by the gate itself to be the main one. So the gate controlled at the SGC wouldn't be considered the main gate.

And so the gate on Atlantis would be considered the main gate because it is connected to its original power source.

Earth must have been a center of power for the Ancients (and later the goa'uld) so when one gate went missing, it was replaced fairly quickly.
                          Yeah exactly, the DHD gate is the main gate. Now, they worked around the problem of the Antarctic gate having a DHD, but Atlantis also has a DHD, so it'd no doubt have main priority.
                          So I would be interested to see how they wrote around it.

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post

Yeah exactly, the DHD gate is the main gate. Now, they worked around the problem of the Antarctic gate having a DHD, but Atlantis also has a DHD, so it'd no doubt have main priority.
                            So I would be interested to see how they wrote around it.
                            Let's see if I can clear up what I believe is a misunderstanding. The three gates I believe that are being referred to here are 1) The Egyptian gate, 2) The Antarctic gate, and 3) The Pegasus gate.

The Egyptian gate wasn't on Earth during the reign of the Ancients. It was brought to Earth by the Goa'uld several thousand years ago. By that time the Antarctic gate, unknown to the Goa'uld, has fallen into disuse.

The Pegasus Gate that we're all familiar with in SGA probably didn't exist on Earth. Likely it, and the entire Pegasus gate system was built after Atlantis arrived in Pegasus. This makes sense since this gate network had completely different symbols.

That leaves us with one gate, the Antarctic gate, which we know to be some 50 million years old. Although I can't say for certain this was the intention of TPTB, it is quite likely the Antarctic gate was the original gate in the Atlantis gate room during the Ancients' very lengthy time span on Earth as Atlantis was part of the MW gate system at that time. The gate was removed and left behind when the city blasted off for Pegasus.

In short, there was only one gate active on Earth at any one time.

Hopefully that makes the whole scenario a bit tidier.
                            Last edited by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper; 23 December 2008, 06:18 PM.
                            My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Yep. Makes sense to me
                              sigpic

Comment

This was a good ep. Loved Hammond being so decisive about giving SG-1 time - even at risk to his ship and crews lives. He deserved a medal.

suse
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X