S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist View Post
    Not just join - but he is given COMMAND of SG-1, the flagship team! What an insult to all of the others who had already served on other teams!
    I think that's a big part of my problem. By putting Mitchell, as he was written, in that post, it was a signal that the writers really didn't take SG1 seriously. I know Stargate was never Serious Drama (with capital letters) but it wasn't a farce either. How can you take any of it seriously when you put an uninitiated hot head in charge of a team that has been built up over 8 years to be "the best of the best?" It's not only the disrespect to Carter who had been leading the team just fine, it's the blowing off of all the teams. There's no way Mitchell ever would have made it through O'Neill's training in Proving Ground. The fact that they are Heroes is part of the appeal for me. A hero doesn't put his team in danger b/c he's in a bad mood or wants to have some "fun" or glory seek.

Now they could have written Mitchell as cocky & hot headed & that they way he got the command was due to politics. We hate him at first & then find out he didn't know he was just a pawn, is actually sincere about learning from Sam and Co. and works really hard to make good. But to act as if he's qualified and nothing's wrong with going off half cocked is an insult to what had gone before. Sure SG1 always got into trouble--that's the nature of the show--but I never questioned their competence --which I did with CM.

Comment

I think if they made their new show, using the same type premise for the characters of Cam and Vala, it would have been cancelled right away, they wouldn't have needed that record in order to continue the show. And I know, I for one would have checked it out, but qucikly found something else to watch.

They seem to have lost that magic touch which made SG1 the little show that could
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        I think if they made their new show, using the same type premise for the characters of Cam and Vala, it would have been cancelled right away, they wouldn't have needed that record in order to continue the show. And I know, I for one would have checked it out, but qucikly found something else to watch.

They seem to have lost that magic touch which made SG1 the little show that could
        I guess that makes "Stargate Command" the show that couldn't.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Why were we only allowed 'fun' in seasons 9 & 10?
          All of the seasons could have been just as incredibly stupid.

An alternate season 7
          The Waffle Lord appears

WTF

Tarry not - tap the maple trees!!
          sigpic
          Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
          My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post

An alternate season 7
            The Waffle Lord appears
            http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...wafflelord.jpg

WTF
            http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...afflelord2.jpg

Tarry not - tap the maple trees!!
            http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...afflelord3.jpg
            OMG! Look what S9 and 10 have done to Zoser's brain...turned it into syrup
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

it's not THAT they changed, it's HOW that change was handled.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post

An alternate season 7
                The Waffle Lord appears
                http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...flelord.jpgWTF
                http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...lord2.jpgTarry not - tap the maple trees!!
                http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...afflelord3.jpg
                Those party poopers from Gekko wouldn't let the boys out to play.
                Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

what if....what if cam had been put forth as a hero...but you know, it really wasn't him. there was a mistake and the heroic stuff was done by someone else. and cam, in pain, on drugs and depressed, didn't stop the whole hero bit.

he starts to believe his own press...but knows in his heart that he's no hero. he's just a guy that was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

and here he comes to the sgc. getting a posting of a lifetime, based on a lie.

and he has to deal with that and, through the course of s9, redeem himself and learn that he really is a hero. that being a hero isn't all flashy gestures and super duper moves, it's simply doing your job, even if it kills ya, and not touting your own horn
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

How dare Gekko take there work seriously and care about quality. It's suppose to be about the cast and crew having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                      How dare Gekko take there work seriously and care about quality. It's suppose to be about the cast and crew having fun.
                      Silly Gekko, what kind of crazy person actually wants a high quality, successful show?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                        Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                        Silly Gekko, what kind of crazy person actually wants a high quality, successful show?
                        We all know SciFi doesn't like those kind of shows.
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          For me, it's hard to realize that many of the Stargate PTB, and cast and crew, were done with SG-1 at the end of Season 8. They were tired of it, tired of the perceived straightjackets that the show's history and tapestry constrained them with.

With RDA's departure, it was obvious that some major changes would have to occur.

I anticipated that those changes would freshen and enhance the classic SG-1. I was not prepared for changes that would effectively destroy and ignore the classic SG-1, in favor of 'completely different and irreverant'.

For what they actually appear to have wanted to do in Season 9 (their self-named Season 1), they should have had a completely new series, with a completely new name. I know that I'm not saying something new.

If they had truly wanted to continue SG-1, they could have. Major Mitchell and Space-Pirate/Rogue Vala could have enhanced the show - if they'd been brought in to enhance the show. However, they were not brought in to enhance the show - they were brought in to takeover a completely new conception of the show. A new conception that belonged in a new, or different, series.

Mitchell taking over command of SG-1 permanently was seriously insulting to me as a viewer and fan.

BB and CB both coming in as new leads doesn't work for me either. I'd much rather see the stars of Farscape in separate crime dramas or comedies or some such. But it doesn't work for me to have the leads of Farscape come over and become leads of Stargate. Wouldn't work for the the other-way-round either (say having MS and/or RDA and/or AT and/or CB coming over and becoming leads in Farscape - not a good idea!).

Change is necessary. Change is part of life. Some changes are fantastic and some are good and some are not and some are horrible.

For me, the way that they chose to re-create and rewrite SG-1 for Seasons 9 and 10 was insulting and horrible.

What I wouldn't give to see some additions (to the show for the Season 8 - Season 9 transition) that would have continued to build on the show that had been created in the first 8 seasons. Unfortunately, TPTB appear fairly focused on getting away from those 8 years (and now 10) of constraint. They've stated that their new series will be 'Stargate Universe' and will be something that is not related to what has come before... yet connected somehow to the seed of the franchise... they've even gone so far as to say that it will be fairly contemporaneous (not far in the future and not a prequel)... but I think it's fairly obvious that they do not want to be constrained to having to deal with the Goa'uld, or what's going on with Gen. Jack O'Neill and the other original members of SG-1. They may feel free to bring the previous characters into an episode or two as guest stars, or they may not. Their choice and they won't have to if they don't want to. I think that that is the freedom that they are looking for. They want to create a new series that rides the coattails of that which has come before (and pulls from the established fanbase), but they do not want to be constrained by the details of the previous series.

Hmmm... I seem to have rambled... at any rate, I was looking forward to the changes that were possible for the beginning of Season 9. I was horrified (and insulted) with what they chose... and have been more horrified and disgusted as they have perpetuated on thier revisionist, irreverant path of Seasons 9 & 10.

Not all change is bad. Change can be good. Unfortunately, the changes made for Seasons 9 & 10 were horrible (for me). I get angry every time a PTB is quoted as saying (or insuating) that folks who don't like Seasons 9 or 10 don't like change. Because that's not true. I don't like bad or horrible or insulting or arrogantly irreverant changes.

And I have such a hard time dealing with the fact that the SG-1 PTB haven't ever said something along those lines. Something like... 'we thought we had some good ideas, but it didn't pan out the way that we envisioned'. Instead, what we seem to have gotten is 'everything's great. It's all wonderful and fantastic and it's just as we planned. We couldn't be happier.' Which, for me, just drives home the horrible insult that I see in Seasons 9 & 10. They meant to do it, and they are happy with their result.

[/end of long-winded rant]
                          Spoiled for length.
                          I applaude but I still cannot green.

I need to get out into gateworld proper but its hard as my stargate interest waned with the terrible S9-S10 which I cannot accept into my personal cannon. I hope to hold just enough interest to try Atlantis next year but every time TPTB speak my interest gets lower. I will not watch another Stargate franchise until they get rid of the current TPTB and get some people who actually liked the original Stargate SG-1 to be in charge of running the new show. They want to create a new show in their own image. I have seen that image and it is horrific.
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                            I guess that makes "Stargate Command" the show that couldn't.
                            Stargate Command was "the big show that couldn't"

look at all the top, big name actors they had...B. Bridges, Louis Gossett jr. Claudia Black, B. Bowder. Then add the big three...MS, AT, CJ.

The show lost it's magic and the real SG-1 ended in season 8.
                            Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              what if....what if cam had been put forth as a hero...but you know, it really wasn't him. there was a mistake and the heroic stuff was done by someone else. and cam, in pain, on drugs and depressed, didn't stop the whole hero bit.

he starts to believe his own press...but knows in his heart that he's no hero. he's just a guy that was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

and here he comes to the sgc. getting a posting of a lifetime, based on a lie.

and he has to deal with that and, through the course of s9, redeem himself and learn that he really is a hero. that being a hero isn't all flashy gestures and super duper moves, it's simply doing your job, even if it kills ya, and not touting your own horn
                              Love it, Love it, Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                                Stargate Command was "the big show that couldn't"

look at all the top, big name actors they had...B. Bridges, Louis Gossett jr. Claudia Black, B. Bowder. Then add the big three...MS, AT, CJ.

The show lost it's magic and the real SG-1 ended in season 8.
                                Exactly!

Comment

Working...
                                X