S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
    I really hope that CB gets to be really wicked as Qetesh. I would like to see her play a solid character, whether it be a good guy or bad guy.

Vala is just not a very solid character. She's either too much eye candy or too much like a kid or too much of Daniel's wanna be lover.

I preffered the scenes with Vala as either Adria's mother or trying to convince Tomin the Ori are evil.
    Vala has a lot of potential, but she's just not being given the chance to realize it when she's acting as an accessory for Action Jackson. We hardly ever see Vala; most of the time we see half of Vaniel.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
      yes but, even with all that-how would be know the difference?
      Your wit is just so stunning.

It reminds me of somewhere else, I can't think of where but they didn't have the same rules as Gateworld, or the same standards of civil discussion about actors. Perhaps you would be happier there?

FF
      sigpic

Comment

Vala has been constantly sacrificed on the altar of Vaniel. she's allowed to be little more than an accessory to pump up the studliness of Action Jackson.

which is such a loss because she had such potential.

but as long as coop sees female characters as nothing more than accessories to his Hewo's, any show he does will be the same. cliche of the week, OTT hewoness, weak, submissive females
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post

It reminds me of somewhere else, I can't think of where but they didn't have the same rules as Gateworld, or the same standards of civil discussion about actors. Perhaps you would be happier there?

FF
          Yep. I've agreed with the anti sentiments of this thread in the past, but I really feel like a line has been crossed more than a few times here - and with increasing frequency.

I don't like it on other sites, and I really don't like it on GW.
          Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 01 August 2007, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BPC View Post
            Hi all: just an observation on my part as I read so many great ideas from fans (fans!! not professional writers and people who bascially helped create the show but fans!!). I have got to say that you all have so many really creative, new, different and wonderful ideas. Many of which would have made seasons 9 and 10 into the real Stargate SG-1 and would likely gotten them a season 11.

I really notice that the ideas here, and other places, that fans have come up with differ in one real way from the cartoon that the people in charge gave us - the fan ideas make sense and play into the strengths of what Stargate was, the strengths of the 3 main characters and what could have been strengths for the new characters if they had been handled well. But most importantly they take the history and canon of the show into account - they stay true to what the show as all about before seasons 9 and 10.

Really reading so many great, creative ideas and directions makes me very sad all over again that the show ended up going out on the downslide with a whimper when just based on fan ideas it could have probably gone on so much longer if they had not made the new Staragte Command show and just continued to make SG-1.

I cannot come here too much anymore because every time i do and I see all the good ideas it just makes me shudder all the more with disbelief and disappointment at what the people in charge did to ruin the show after it had built itself up to such high standards and quality over 8 years and such high ratings in year 8.

What a waste the past 2 seasons were and I really want all the hours (not that many in reality) that I wasted watching the few and far between episodes I did watch in season 9 and even fewer and farther between in season 10.

From what I hear Ark of Truth is basically continuing the disarray of 9 and 10 so I'll pass on that one (I work hard for my money and I don't intend to waste it on that junk) but I am hopeful for Continuum and think Brad Wright will get it wright (I'm just happy to hear Vala is scarce in Continuum - she was just a bad choice and a bad idea as one of the team on SG-1, she could have been so much more compelling and interesting as a recurring baddie she may have actually become the female Ba'al or the female Apophis if they had actually used her as a viable character instead of as a cheesy scifi chick). Sorry to be so downer but it really does make me sad to think what could have been if they had just thought things through and not tried to make the show around new characters, really if they had not made a new show period.
            I thought Vala should have been a reoccuring character myself. Some of the best SG-1 characters were reoccuring. I think she would have been a far more interesting character as Daniel's nemisis.
            Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post

FF
              well to each his own I suppose. [mod snip] my perspective his lack of depth hurt his character a lot-his two expressions have always been dazed and confused and considering that Daniel -at least from my view-was to be someone that had compassion and passion, that to not be able to show that to the viewer fails the character.
              Last edited by Madeleine; 20 August 2007, 10:12 PM.
              Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                I thought Vala should have been a reoccuring character myself. Some of the best SG-1 characters were reoccuring. I think she would have been a far more interesting character as Daniel's nemisis.
                it would have been helpful if Vala had some more depth rather than arm or eye candy. talk about a waste of talent and skills
                Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Comment

it would have been helpful if Vala had some more depth rather than arm or eye candy. talk about a waste of talent and skills
                  Not to mention money too...

Comment

well to each his own I suppose. I don't happen to believe that MS could act his way out of a paper bag and that from my perspective his lack of depth hurt his character a lot-his two expressions have always been dazed and confused and considering that Daniel -at least from my view-was to be someone that had compassion and passion, that to not be able to show that to the viewer fails the character.
                    Barging in one last time, as someone who's never really been a big fan of Shanks...

To each her own definitely applies, but sometimes I wonder... I mean, surely someone must've thought MS was talented, for him to have been on the series for so long, and for him to have the fanbase that he has. The same certainly applies to AT, who's also been on the receiving end of statements like the one made above.

I don't agree, nor will I ever agree, with Shanks' portrayal of Action Jackson. I think it was a deliberate attempt at masculinizing Daniel (for whatever reason), but I also think it was something that the writers played into as well.

I guess my thing is, you know, there are ways to express our distaste for an actor without completely dismissing their talents out of hand, like their accomplishments don't exist, or like they're completely without any positive attributes. I think that's just a bit too extreme, no matter how adamant we are about our opinions.
                    Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 01 August 2007, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                      Yep. I've agreed with the anti sentiments of this thread in the past, but I really feel like a line has been crossed more than a few times here - and with increasing frequency.

I don't like it on other sites, and I really don't like it on GW.
                      where have i crossed the line?

i don't believe that MS did his character justice-I don't think that MS has the acting skills to bring Daniel to life-that of course is my opinion-just as I felt that BB and CB were under utilized and that their characters were badly written.

to speak about somebody's acting talent, I don't believe is the same as saying something derogatory about the actor in general or about their personal life.

Comment

Originally posted by BPC View Post
                        Hi all: just an observation on my part as I read so many great ideas from fans (fans!! not professional writers and people who bascially helped create the show but fans!!). I have got to say that you all have so many really creative, new, different and wonderful ideas. Many of which would have made seasons 9 and 10 into the real Stargate SG-1 and would likely gotten them a season 11.

I really notice that the ideas here, and other places, that fans have come up with differ in one real way from the cartoon that the people in charge gave us - the fan ideas make sense and play into the strengths of what Stargate was, the strengths of the 3 main characters and what could have been strengths for the new characters if they had been handled well. But most importantly they take the history and canon of the show into account - they stay true to what the show as all about before seasons 9 and 10.

Really reading so many great, creative ideas and directions makes me very sad all over again that the show ended up going out on the downslide with a whimper when just based on fan ideas it could have probably gone on so much longer if they had not made the new Staragte Command show and just continued to make SG-1.

I cannot come here too much anymore because every time i do and I see all the good ideas it just makes me shudder all the more with disbelief and disappointment at what the people in charge did to ruin the show after it had built itself up to such high standards and quality over 8 years and such high ratings in year 8.

What a waste the past 2 seasons were and I really want all the hours (not that many in reality) that I wasted watching the few and far between episodes I did watch in season 9 and even fewer and farther between in season 10.

From what I hear Ark of Truth is basically continuing the disarray of 9 and 10 so I'll pass on that one (I work hard for my money and I don't intend to waste it on that junk) but I am hopeful for Continuum and think Brad Wright will get it wright (I'm just happy to hear Vala is scarce in Continuum - she was just a bad choice and a bad idea as one of the team on SG-1, she could have been so much more compelling and interesting as a recurring baddie she may have actually become the female Ba'al or the female Apophis if they had actually used her as a viable character instead of as a cheesy scifi chick). Sorry to be so downer but it really does make me sad to think what could have been if they had just thought things through and not tried to make the show around new characters, really if they had not made a new show period.
                        Seasons 9 & 10 weren't all bad - I got some good power naps out of it. Who needs Ambient.
                        sigpic
                        Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                        My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

where have i crossed the line?

i don't believe that MS did his character justice-I don't think that MS has the acting skills to bring Daniel to life-that of course is my opinion-just as I felt that BB and CB were under utilized and that their characters were badly written.

to speak about somebody's acting talent, I don't believe is the same as saying something derogatory about the actor in general or about their personal life.
                          There have been a couple of comments made on this thread that stung a bit... Comments about CB and BB, and now MS. And not just by you, pittsburghgirl. Admittedly, I'm pretty sure I've crossed the line in some respect along the way.

I'm not taking anyone to task about the rules, because discussion regarding an actor's talents seems to be OK with the GW mods.

But I can't help but wonder... what's the point anymore? We've beaten the bloody anti-horse to death, and that's all well and good. I don't really blame people for wanting to vent their frustrations - especially considering this was the very last season, and it should've been great.

But I've never understood why people critique the actors so harshly. I feel like we sometimes rely too much on the all-too-convenient anonymity of the internet. Even if it is one's opinion, if one isn't willing to speak so honestly to the actor's face... I just don't see the point. And I guess I never will. Oh well.

Comment

hugs-you know-i have to agree about beating this dead horse bloody-season 10 is over and done and really the frustration just seems to live on.

and since the movies won't be out until next year-limbo is no fun at all.

Comment

Most of what I've seen and posted myself and I mean MOST, has been about the characters, and the way they have been written has been a disservice to the actors. How the change of Daniel to Jackson just didn't sit right. How the use of Cam and Vala wasn't done right (in the opionions of many here). If we discuss how things could have been done better and missed opportunities, it goes to the the writers and how they and the showrunner have made mistakes (in some of our opinions). It doesn't go to the acting ability of the actors. Many of us (my self included) have had the sentiments of the actors doing the best they could with what they were given.

And as to what's the point...I don't know, maybe we just like the discussion, I mean what't the point of many threads on GW? It doesn't mean that people will stop discussing pointless issues. And if anyone has a problem with a post, just report it, if it crosses a line, it will be handled by the mods

Hope this doesn't come out as sounding too harsh
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

It's all good on my end, pittsburghgirl.

Comment

Working...
                                X