S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
    I'm a bit confused. What do you mean by "right"? Do you mean they change the timeline so that S9-10 never happened?

And if CB said that, then it's very unfortunate that she was only a part of the movie for a week. Apparently she played a different character, which is cool, though.

I'm not a fan of revisionist history. Rather than rewriting two seasons of arcs and episodes and character development in one two-hour film, I feel like they really just needed to tell a compelling story that included *all* of the Stargate characters. That was my biggest problem with S9 and S10, but I can't help but think that the same problem will be duplicated with the movies.
    If you accept the idea of AU's, then there is no need to 'revise'. They can just say that they were following the adventures of one of the many different possible timelines/AU's. Which one is right? All of them - they are all valid and they all coexist simultaneously.

It would be great to see an acknowledgement that Seasons 1-8 followed the adventures of one SG-1 Universe and Seasons 9-10 followed the adventures of a different/alternate universe (AU).

And... then give us some significant screen time again with the Season 1-8 universe/timeline.

I'm also OK with the "Moebius time-travel fix wasn't quite right... fish in the pond and all..."... so they 'fix' it and we merge back with the direction and feel of the original first 8 Seasons. For me, Seasons 9 & 10 would still exist - but as an AU (one that I could boggle my eyes at and shake my head at and feel relieved that things are back on the original course).

Some apparently see it as a cop-out to do something like writing Seasons 9 & 10 as an AU or an alternate timeline or such, but to me, it would be bold science fiction... to have two whole seasons that were spent focussed on an alternate universe/timeline? Erm...wow!

Of course, I would still avoid watching Seasons 9 & 10 and would take solace and relief in knowing that the series was back on track (or the timeline was 'corrected' or the focus of the series is now back on the Universe of the original 8 seasons).

Leaving the series stuck in the Season 9-10 reality leaves a vile and disgusting taste in my mouth. However, it is what I expect them to do. They have given no indication that they want to change or correct or revise the 'New Direction' that they created for Seasons 9 & 10... so my gut says that we are stuck with it.
    Last edited by astrogeologist; 31 July 2007, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ccdsah View Post
      Has anyone considered that since "Continuum" is a time-travel story it's TPTB's big chance of setting things right?
      And with Sam being promoted to full bird and getting command of Atlantis my hopes are pretty high with this one!
      About Vala - CB said she has a small part in the movie and only participated in filming for about a week.
      I hope so.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I think it will be Cam heavy. I would love to see the Movie fix what went wrong in Season 9 and 10. If TPTB can get rid of Jonas they can get rid of Mitchell and Vala. I have nothing against BB and CB IMO there characters do not belong in SG-1. If SG-1 was not on SciFi I doubt CB and BB would be brought in.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist View Post
          Part of it will be the writing, and part of it will be how MS wants to play it (facial expressions, tone of voice, etc.)
          yes but, even with all that-how would be know the difference?
          Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
            I think it will be Cam heavy. I would love to see the Movie fix what went wrong in Season 9 and 10. If TPTB can get rid of Jonas they can get rid of Mitchell and Vala. I have nothing against BB and CB IMO there characters do not belong in SG-1. If SG-1 was not on SciFi I doubt CB and BB would be brought in.
            I really have no hope that any wrongs will be righted. I am still hoping that we get a confirmation that Sam and Jack are an item. How pathetic is that? Of course with it being AU they could be an item, then reversed with the out come of this movie. I wouldn't put that one past them.
            Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
              yes but, even with all that-how would be know the difference?

you bad!
              Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                you bad!
                indeed I is.
                Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

from what I read TPTB wanted CB since PU episode and BB was supposed to have been cast for Sheppard on SGA but BB couldn't do the show becuase of other obligations.

Sounds like TPTB wanted the two for some time, regardless of skiffy.
                  Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                    I really have no hope that any wrongs will be righted. I am still hoping that we get a confirmation that Sam and Jack are an item. How pathetic is that? Of course with it being AU they could be an item, then reversed with the out come of this movie. I wouldn't put that one past them.
                    I'm just as pathetic. I know these guys are more than capable of spinning a fascinating tale but think it is very unlikely. Maybe I'll be surprised.
                    At least Jack will be there in Continuum It better be the real Jack, you know, this guy

sigpic
                    Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                    My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

I just have a hard time believing it was not mainly SciFi who wanted BB and CB full time. I have to think Bridge would have know better that bringing in CB and BB would change the show too much. Then again maybe it was RCC who wanted both from the get go. I through things would not work as soon as I heard BB and CB were coming on full time. I that is was a bad idea for both BB and CB to do another Scifi show together right after Farscape and it was even worse to go to an established show. I figured the Actors would want to try something different.The signs all pointed to problems IMO.

Comment

http://7deadlysinners.typepad.com/si...s/guilty_1.jpg
                        Grrrr....Season 9.....grrrrrr.....

http://www.superdog.com/hints/images/couch-dog.jpg
                        Bad Season 10! Bad Season 10!

Comment

I just have a hard time believing it was not mainly SciFi who wanted BB and CB full time. I have to think Bridge would have know better that bringing in CB and BB would change the show too much. Then again maybe it was RCC who wanted both from the get go. I through things would not work as soon as I heard BB and CB were coming on full time. I that is was a bad idea for both BB and CB to do another Scifi show together right after Farscape and it was even worse to go to an established show. I figured the Actors would want to try something different.The signs all pointed to problems IMO.
                          Well CB's *character* was sure different from Aeryn Sun. BB's not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                            I like CB as an actress and would look forward to Qetesh. Vala is a whole other story
                            sigpic
                            Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                            My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                              Yep, I noticed that too.

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                              I like CB as an actress and would look forward to Qetesh. Vala is a whole other story
                              I really hope that CB gets to be really wicked as Qetesh. I would like to see her play a solid character, whether it be a good guy or bad guy.

Vala is just not a very solid character. She's either too much eye candy or too much like a kid or too much of Daniel's wanna be lover.

I preffered the scenes with Vala as either Adria's mother or trying to convince Tomin the Ori are evil.

Of course Tomin was a huge wasted opportunity. I would have loved to have scenes with Tomin trying to convince Daniel the Ori are good and Daniel (as Daniel) trying to convince Tomin the Ori are evil. I would have liked to have seen Tomin as a vehicle to draw on Daniel's ascended experience. Tomin could have been a reflection to Daniel as to who Daniel used to be.

Tomin in the arc could have drawn on Daniel's moral compass as the two would use each other as a mirror into their own souls.

I can just imagine how deep a scene with Tomin and Daniel could have been if done properly.
                              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Hi all: just an observation on my part as I read so many great ideas from fans (fans!! not professional writers and people who bascially helped create the show but fans!!). I have got to say that you all have so many really creative, new, different and wonderful ideas. Many of which would have made seasons 9 and 10 into the real Stargate SG-1 and would likely gotten them a season 11.

I really notice that the ideas here, and other places, that fans have come up with differ in one real way from the cartoon that the people in charge gave us - the fan ideas make sense and play into the strengths of what Stargate was, the strengths of the 3 main characters and what could have been strengths for the new characters if they had been handled well. But most importantly they take the history and canon of the show into account - they stay true to what the show as all about before seasons 9 and 10.

Really reading so many great, creative ideas and directions makes me very sad all over again that the show ended up going out on the downslide with a whimper when just based on fan ideas it could have probably gone on so much longer if they had not made the new Staragte Command show and just continued to make SG-1.

I cannot come here too much anymore because every time i do and I see all the good ideas it just makes me shudder all the more with disbelief and disappointment at what the people in charge did to ruin the show after it had built itself up to such high standards and quality over 8 years and such high ratings in year 8.

What a waste the past 2 seasons were and I really want all the hours (not that many in reality) that I wasted watching the few and far between episodes I did watch in season 9 and even fewer and farther between in season 10.

From what I hear Ark of Truth is basically continuing the disarray of 9 and 10 so I'll pass on that one (I work hard for my money and I don't intend to waste it on that junk) but I am hopeful for Continuum and think Brad Wright will get it wright (I'm just happy to hear Vala is scarce in Continuum - she was just a bad choice and a bad idea as one of the team on SG-1, she could have been so much more compelling and interesting as a recurring baddie she may have actually become the female Ba'al or the female Apophis if they had actually used her as a viable character instead of as a cheesy scifi chick). Sorry to be so downer but it really does make me sad to think what could have been if they had just thought things through and not tried to make the show around new characters, really if they had not made a new show period.

Comment

Working...
                                X