S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
    Nope, none whatsoever and, ironically enough, although some fans seem to have all but formed a lynch mob after Sam gave Ba'al the information he wanted to keep him from killing his hostages - the end result of which, if I recall, was a treasure hunt that would actually have kept at least one of the Ba'als from causing trouble for Earth - those same fans do not seem to have a problem with Daniel and Vala blabbing.

At least we can be thankful that Sam is a strong enough character to be able to say "I made a mistake, I'm sorry". Wouldn't it be far worse if she was so weak that she had to be protected from any and all admissions of error or guilt?
    Now, now let's not be harsh on Daniel, after all in S8's Endgame, Daniel gave up information which led to countless jaffa deaths (could even say genocide) but he did save the 1 girl...so it was all worth it.

And as said in s9 he did lead the Ori to our galaxy, and he and Vala were responsible for the deaths of the people's bodies they were inhabiting...but why dwell on that and feel guilty, because...um....becasue.....ok I got nothing

But we must tar and feather Sam, because she gave up the information to Ba'al, which ended up in no one getting killed

disclaimer: I never believed Sam's character would give up the information, and I do hold Landry just as responsible for not locking her out of the base computers....hence the sacrificing the characters for plot device
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Major Mitchell, fresh from the training program and excited by his assignment to the legendary SG-1 could have been a great character. The whole hero of the battle of Antarctica, CMOH, any post he wanted thing was unsalvageable and should have been scrapped.

Vala also had a lot of potential, but I think that they needed to cut the cord between her and Daniel if she was to have a chance of realizing it.
      Very true on both counts, and Vala should have remained an untrusted rogue type character (sorry Rogue, not meaning you ) She would have fit better into the show, a place for them to begrudgingly turn when they needed some information...and could also have poor Daniel trading some of his artifacts (treasure to Vala) for the information.
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        disclaimer: I never believed Sam's character would give up the information, and I do hold Landry just as responsible for not locking her out of the base computers....hence the sacrificing the characters for plot device
        You'd think that they'd have a contingency for events like that, that Sam's access code would bring her to a list of wrong gate addresses or something even if they didn't lock her out.

Sam giving the information to Ba'al could be argued to have had a positive side effect; a Ba'al on a treasure hunt is a Ba'al who is not attacking Earth.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          i'm all for them joining the team...just do it differently is all
          Imagine how interesting things coudl have been had cameron joined the team as major mitchell in s8. taking a job and filling a role and doing it very much under the shadow of the person whose job you've taken.
          if coop had just taken more care with them, we could very well have been looking at a s11, instead of two seasons that many fans deny even exist
          For me, it's hard to realize that many of the Stargate PTB, and cast and crew, were done with SG-1 at the end of Season 8. They were tired of it, tired of the perceived straightjackets that the show's history and tapestry constrained them with.

With RDA's departure, it was obvious that some major changes would have to occur.

I anticipated that those changes would freshen and enhance the classic SG-1. I was not prepared for changes that would effectively destroy and ignore the classic SG-1, in favor of 'completely different and irreverant'.

For what they actually appear to have wanted to do in Season 9 (their self-named Season 1), they should have had a completely new series, with a completely new name. I know that I'm not saying something new.

If they had truly wanted to continue SG-1, they could have. Major Mitchell and Space-Pirate/Rogue Vala could have enhanced the show - if they'd been brought in to enhance the show. However, they were not brought in to enhance the show - they were brought in to takeover a completely new conception of the show. A new conception that belonged in a new, or different, series.

Mitchell taking over command of SG-1 permanently was seriously insulting to me as a viewer and fan.

BB and CB both coming in as new leads doesn't work for me either. I'd much rather see the stars of Farscape in separate crime dramas or comedies or some such. But it doesn't work for me to have the leads of Farscape come over and become leads of Stargate. Wouldn't work for the the other-way-round either (say having MS and/or RDA and/or AT and/or CB coming over and becoming leads in Farscape - not a good idea!).

Change is necessary. Change is part of life. Some changes are fantastic and some are good and some are not and some are horrible.

For me, the way that they chose to re-create and rewrite SG-1 for Seasons 9 and 10 was insulting and horrible.

What I wouldn't give to see some additions (to the show for the Season 8 - Season 9 transition) that would have continued to build on the show that had been created in the first 8 seasons. Unfortunately, TPTB appear fairly focused on getting away from those 8 years (and now 10) of constraint. They've stated that their new series will be 'Stargate Universe' and will be something that is not related to what has come before... yet connected somehow to the seed of the franchise... they've even gone so far as to say that it will be fairly contemporaneous (not far in the future and not a prequel)... but I think it's fairly obvious that they do not want to be constrained to having to deal with the Goa'uld, or what's going on with Gen. Jack O'Neill and the other original members of SG-1. They may feel free to bring the previous characters into an episode or two as guest stars, or they may not. Their choice and they won't have to if they don't want to. I think that that is the freedom that they are looking for. They want to create a new series that rides the coattails of that which has come before (and pulls from the established fanbase), but they do not want to be constrained by the details of the previous series.

Hmmm... I seem to have rambled... at any rate, I was looking forward to the changes that were possible for the beginning of Season 9. I was horrified (and insulted) with what they chose... and have been more horrified and disgusted as they have perpetuated on thier revisionist, irreverant path of Seasons 9 & 10.

Not all change is bad. Change can be good. Unfortunately, the changes made for Seasons 9 & 10 were horrible (for me). I get angry every time a PTB is quoted as saying (or insuating) that folks who don't like Seasons 9 or 10 don't like change. Because that's not true. I just don't like bad or horrible or insulting or arrogantly irreverant changes.

At least we can be thankful that Sam is a strong enough character to be able to say "I made a mistake, I'm sorry". Wouldn't it be far worse if she was so weak that she had to be protected from any and all admissions of error or guilt?
          And I have such a hard time dealing with the fact that the SG-1 PTB haven't ever said something along those lines. Something like... 'we thought we had some good ideas, but it didn't pan out the way that we envisioned'. Instead, what we seem to have gotten is 'everything's great. It's all wonderful and fantastic and it's just as we planned. We couldn't be happier.' Which, for me, just drives home the horrible insult that I see in Seasons 9 & 10. They meant to do it, and they are happy with their result.

[/end of long-winded rant]
          Last edited by astrogeologist; 31 July 2007, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Very true on both counts, and Vala should have remained an untrusted rogue type character (sorry Rogue, not meaning you ) She would have fit better into the show, a place for them to begrudgingly turn when they needed some information...and could also have poor Daniel trading some of his artifacts (treasure to Vala) for the information.
            I think that Vala would have been more believeable as a tentative ally, maybe a consultant of sorts if she had to be working at the SGC, than as a member of SG-1.

I can only imagine what all the people at the SGC who wanted a spot on SG-1 must have been thinking; first they let the green rookie join, then the woman who hijacked the Prometheus and left the crew to die.

Comment

A new character like Bram Mitchell (twin brother to Cam ) he is everything Cam is not. Cool under pressure, not a hot head, actually wanted to go through the SGC training program, yet is still a Major. He gets assigned to SG1 as second in command, to actually learn from the best, and actually listen to what they say.

While Sam was missing in the beginning of S9, Bram and the rest of SG1 went on missions with other teams (a learning experience for Bram) and when Sam comes back and takes her rightful position on SG1 she mentors Bram and he becomes a well trained member of the SGC, why even trained enough to take over his own team for the next SG show that would have been in the wings.
              Bram? The name dracula comes to mind. I noticed the writers have a thing for names ending in am. Cam, Sam, Lam. Kind of like a Dr. Suess book. "See Sam and Cam be nice to Lam."

Mitchell could have been the first name and he could have been called, Mitch.

Mitchell O'Neil with one L.

Major Mitchell, fresh from the training program and excited by his assignment to the legendary SG-1 could have been a great character. The whole hero of the battle of Antarctica, CMOH, any post he wanted thing was unsalvageable and should have been scrapped.

Vala also had a lot of potential, but I think that they needed to cut the cord between her and Daniel if she was to have a chance of realizing it.

Mitchell as a hero was too much.
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist View Post
                For what they actually appear to have wanted to do in Season 9 (their self-named Season 1), they should have had a completely new series, with a completely new name. I know that I'm not saying something new.
                I think that's the big problem; they thought of it as a new show and they treated it like a new show instead of like a show with a history built over eight years.

They'd have been better off continuing to make SG-1 for the two years necessary to get them the record, with Mitchell and Vala gradually eased in but not allowed to dominate the show, then made their spin-off once SG-1 had been allowed a dignified end.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                  Bram? The name dracula comes to mind. I noticed the writers have a thing for names ending in am. Cam, Sam, Lam. Kind of like a Dr. Suess book. "See Sam and Cam be nice to Lam."

Mitchell could have been the first name and he could have been called, Mitch.

Mitchell O'Neil with one L.
                  Any relation to the Jack O'Neil with no sense of humour?

Comment

And I have such a hard time dealing with the fact that SG-1 PTB haven't ever said something along those lines. Something like... 'we thought we had some good ideas, but it didn't pan out the way that we envisioned'. Instead, what we seem to have gotten is 'everything's great. It's all wonderful and fantastic and it's just as we planned. We couldn't be happier.' Which, for me, just drives home the horrible insult that I see in Seasons 9 & 10. They meant to do it, and they are happy with their result.
                    And the result was cancellation.

Regardless of how wonderful they consider their work, it is clear that not enough people shared their opinion and, at the end of the day, even if a viewer thinks that the show is the most magnificent thing they've ever seen or ever will see, that viewer is still only one viewer and counts for the same as any other viewer - absolutely nothing if they don't have a Nielsen box.

Comment

Any relation to the Jack O'Neil with no sense of humour?

yep. must be other Jack's nephew.
                      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I think that Vala would have been more believeable as a tentative ally, maybe a consultant of sorts if she had to be working at the SGC, than as a member of SG-1.

I can only imagine what all the people at the SGC who wanted a spot on SG-1 must have been thinking; first they let the green rookie join, then the woman who hijacked the Prometheus and left the crew to die.
                        Not just join - but he is given COMMAND of SG-1, the flagship team! What an insult to all of the others already on SG teams!
                        Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                        Mitchell as a hero was too much.
                        I agree. Bringing him in as an already established hero was too much. It would have been much more fun and intriguing for him to earn his 'heroship' by demonstrating heroism after learning under the tutelage of SG-1.
                        Last edited by astrogeologist; 31 July 2007, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I think that's the big problem; they thought of it as a new show and they treated it like a new show instead of like a show with a history built over eight years.
                          And they are happy (nigh to ecstatic at times) with their choices!

They'd have been better off continuing to make SG-1 for the two years necessary to get them the record,
                          I agree
                          with Mitchell and Vala gradually eased in but not allowed to dominate the show, then made their spin-off once SG-1 had been allowed a dignified end.
                          I still have problems with the two major Farscape leads as leads in a contemporaneous Stargate show. I find it just *wrong*. I have nothing against the Farscape actors and it would be great to see BB showing up in CSI and to see CB showing up in Desperate Housewives or some such. But to have the two of them as major leads on a Stargate show at the same time that Farscape is showing (and is still filming (webisodes))...?

Comment

Not just join - but he is given COMMAND of SG-1, the flagship team! What an insult to all of the others who had already served on other teams!

And what a terrible reflection on Landry's intelligence, or lack thereof.

Putting an inexperienced newcomer in command of the flagship team when it is not absolutely necessary is idiotic and irresponsible.

If Mitchell had formed his team from the available candidates, I do not see them surviving a week and Landry would have been at fault for not ensuring that the team had a leader who was properly equipped for his job.

Comment

And they are happy (nigh to ecstatic at times) with their choices!
                              Hope they enjoy cancellation.

I still have problems with the two major Farscape leads as leads in a contemporaneous Stargate show. I find it just *wrong*. I have nothing against the Farscape actors and it would be great to see BB showing up in CSI and to see CB showing up in Desperate Housewives or some such. But to have the two of them as major leads on a Stargate show at the same time that Farscape is showing (and is still filming (webisodes))...?
                              As long as it wasn't SG-1 and I didn't have any emotional attachment to it or need to watch it, I wouldn't care who they starred in it.

Comment

i see no reason to get rid of vala and cameron.

i'm all for them joining the team...just do it differently is all
                                For joining the team, a Mitchell written differently yes, for Vala no. I would have prefered Vala to be an reoccuring character. I prefer a 4 person team.
                                Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Working...
                                X