This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seahen View Post
    If it makes you feel better, I wasn't born in the 80's.

Oh and I looked at transcripts of the two eps you mentioned and didn't notice anything like that quote. Are you sure you didn't read it in a fanfic? Sometimes I swear I heard something on the show but it turns out it was fanfic instead.
    LOL!!!!!!!!

mmmm...whole wheat penne and meatballs...

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
      Mala made two Mac smilies.... ... with his Swiss Army Knife...
      LOL!

Too funny. Great smilies

Comment

YAY! MacGyver smilies! *grabs them and runs*

! All Aboard The Shipper Train!
        I Heart ! Proud Member of Thunk For Club!
        Don't wait for your ship to come in. Swim out to it.

Comment

Aww...it's just sooo cute. Aw!
          Originally posted by jumble65 View Post
          LOL, yes! The mullet has been the subject of much discussion And, yes, I do prefer the shorter, silver streaked style of
          The Silver Fox...

Comment

Originally posted by Oma-1 View Post
            Woo hoo! I caught up! I can go read Aftershocks now
            LOL leaving us now that you're caught up eh?
            Last edited by mad_gater; 21 January 2008, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrenRen View Post
              Inspired by conversation here, once again, I made another wallpaper...

This one is entitled: "Welcome to the Cavern of Angst":

Click to enlarge...

Well done Bren that was awesome!

Everyone well this evening? (((((Family)))))

Comment

[QUOTE=jumble65;7597647]
                Originally posted by Gatetrixer View Post
                This is very interesting subject. Not so much to me as to why the different reactions to two characters by the same actor, but the fact that quite often female fans do not want a favorite male character to "settle down." Better go OT as this is long.
                Spoiler:
                I doubt this is something pertaining to a certain era. I did not watch MacGyver until I became a fan of SG, then started taping them on whatever cable channel was showing them. Over halfway through I noticed the propensity to "kill off" or otherwise dispose of his female friends. One became a nun! Anyway, I asked on the GW Jack thread if anyone there could tell me if he ever did "get the girl." A noted Mac and RDA fan, answered. No. It just wouldn't do for a character like Mac, travelling over the world, mostly by himself , to have to come home to a certain partner. He needed to be footloose and fancy free for the stories. Plus she also mentioned the fans wanted him that way. I've noted it's also that way with fans of actors and/or star athletes. They often don't like it when he marries. Quite often they denegrate his choice. I think it would be fun to see a psychological study on this.. I think some female fans, visualize themselves someday meeting the actor or star. They'd like him still to be single possibly imagining themselves impressing him, though very likely it is not a conscious thought. Even if it's just a character ( like Mac) rather than a real person, I think the thought processes are similar. However many of the older comic book characters,& older shows' male heroes had a special girl, but nothing overt happened, both due to earlier constraints on showing sex and because their hero status prevented any settling down. They just happily fought the bad guys together or else the hero kept rescuing her. Well, I've gone on too long, but I'm sure Mac was not the only TV hero the fans didn't want to keep one girlfriend too long, though I can't name another one right now. I wonder if early Daniel fans (not J/D types) weren't all that sorry they didn't have to worry about Shar'e ever coming back. Now why no such worries about Jack? Who knows if there weren't some early on? But I really don't have any theories yet about that.
                quote]

Have had lots of interesting responses to this question. Thanks everyone

Spoiler:

Yes, I see that some fans are like that, I’m sure I remember some members of ‘boy bands’ keeping engagements/marriages secret in case it affected their record sales!

About Jack, personally I don’t recall hearing about of feeling that he should stay single. Maybe the fact that he had been in a longish marriage and had had a son before we met him made him a different kettle of fish from Mac? Also, I agree that having Sam as part of the team from the start enabled us to ‘get to know’ them both at the same time and see the ship grow over a period of time, not the case with Mac.
                About almost 2 yrs ago(if I have my dates right)
                Spoiler:
                a fan on the RDAnderson site was worried that the secret that RDA was going to reveal was that he was about to be married! Turns out the secret was his involvement in S10, which TPTB asked him to withhold until a certain date. IMHO, ain't gonna happen, anonymous fan,so quit worrying.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                    Mala made two Mac smilies.... ... with his Swiss Army Knife...
                    Woo hoo Ok, go on, NOW someone tell Mac's not cute

Originally posted by nogigglingmajor View Post
                    YAY! MacGyver smilies! *grabs them and runs*
                    Me too

Thanks Mala

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                      Lol-when I saw Sam doing the autopsy on the supersoldier, I was like "what the?" Since when did she get her medical degree? Why was Janet not there? This is a pre-Heroes show FCOL!
                      Fairly OT S/J, but OT Stargate, spoilers for Quarantine:
                      Spoiler:
                      While watching Quarantine, when all the 'Big Brains' were first locked up without commo or data stations, hubs and I hoped they weren't going to act as though, with those people out of it, no one else had enough sense between them to figure things out. It was so wonderfully refreshing to see that there were brilliant and compitent people besides main characters on SGA, and that even when put to it Shepherd was willing to show his brilliance. That was probably the best thing about that episode in general for me - characters shining outside their normal areas. I mean, even Rodney ended up showing more maturity and growth than I ever expected from him.
                      Cause, I mean, am I the only one who ever wondered what all those other folks on the Enterprise were for besides canon fodder?

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                        What is a 'Tim Tam'?

Great thread! I can't load any pictures, but will be 'lurking' and immensely enjoying the view

LOL ! I'm surprised somebody hasn't made a 'mullet' smiley. Believe it or not, but it was 'cool' at the time. I never really liked the style, except on Bono, but a lot of my friends did.
                        I think it was interesting(and a bit wierd) to see his hair morph from brown, and not a true mullet, into the curly blonde long mullet. His clothes changed too from chinos and khakis to the jeans, bomber jacket and tees. Which I was able to see in a compressed length of time due to all that taping and watching of the reruns. Wonder who named the mullet (the hairstyle), which is some kind of fish. The newspapers have a lot of fun with the mullet during our state fair, seeking out(mostly icky) examples for photos, and they seem to be still plentiful among fair goers.
                        Last edited by Gatetrixer; 21 January 2008, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora1101 View Post
                          I have a question regarding Threads, specifically the scene where Jack is in his office with Kerry. Jack throughout the years always seemed to be hesitant about revealing his true feelings when it came to Sam. The scene in Entity comes to mind where General Hammond all but tells Jack he knows that Jack has feelings for Sam other than friendship. And in that specific episode Jack denies feeling nothing other than concern for his colleague, nothing more. In the scene with Kerry there doesn't seem to be any hesitation on Jack's part when Kerry practically comes right out and says she knows Jack cares for Sam, a lot. Jack doesn't come right out and say those actually words, unfortunately, but it's obvious, at least to me, what he is feeling.So my question is this - why was it so easy for him to be so honest with Kerry? Does he feel it's finally time for him to be honest with not only himself but Kerry as well as to what the true nature of his feelings for Sam are? Also if Jacob didn't die, would we still have had that fishing scene at the end of the episode?
                          Originally posted by mara-anni View Post
                          Firtly I think this is a completely different situation for Jack then the one in Entity.

In Entity Jack was still a Colonel and he was talking to Hammond, his CO. There's no way in Netu he would ever have admitted it to Hammond. Hammond himself was being vague.
                          I know Major Carter is important to you
                          She's a valuable member of my team sir
                          Yes she is
                          Jack won't admit he knows what Hammond means and Hammond allows him to keep it proffessional. But neither one of them is lying...Jack tells the truth, just not the whole truth.

In Threads however, Jack is 'the man'. But more importantly he's talking to Kerry. He doesn't have to be so defensive with her, after all she's already broken up with him and now that she knows he can't lie to her and lead her on. Jack is too nice a guy to do that. Plus the way Kerry words her comments to him really doesn't allow to tell a half truth like he did with Hammond. There's no way for to say something similar to "She's a valuable member of my team" and as I said, it would be leading Kerry on if he denied it. But he doesn't flat out confirm it either. The closest we get to him confirming it is his "and you know what I should do?" Which is still tantamount to saying "Yep, you're right, I do love her but I don't what I can do about it" IMHO

Anyway, Jenn, out Threads expert will answer this Q better
                          Nope. Couldn't have said it better myself. Exactly what I was going to write before I read your response. I'd add, to, that I think Jack is emotionally exhausted and near breaking point himself and may not have the energy to fight anymore.

As for whether they still would have gone fishing (which = together) if Jacob hadn't died. I vote a huge honkin' YES!!!
                          Here I disagree. Lots of people end up in lousy relationships with the wrong guy. Jacob's death - the way and what he told her as he died - I think gave Sam more than 'permission'. It showed her that she was valuable - ultimately - because of who she was, not what she had done professionally. I sense that all her life she'd been striving to please her father, to be who she believed he wanted her to be, and that she felt meant suppressing her feminity and concentrating on becoming an Uber Air Force Officer. I think this is why in Forsaken (?) she tells the alien that her name Sam means her father wanted a boy... Jacob showed her through his dying words that that wasn't what he valued. He valued her wellbeing and happiness first. It freed her from the burden of pleasing him and allowed her to pursue what she wanted... Um.. Jack

IMHO it's Sam's visit to his house that precipitates the fishing. She goes to his house before she knows about her dad and it is a direct result of Sam doing that and Kerry seeing them together that makes Kerry split up with him and I think Kerry really does help shove him in the right direction too.
                          I think she was still too scared, to unsure of her own worth to anyone, including Jack, beyond herself as an Air Force officer. It's not true, but Jack DID give Sam up so she and he could remain an Air Force officer. I'm sure this FELT that it was that part of him he valued most. That's why she was so tentative on his deck... and after the Kerry debacle I suspect she was planning on pretending nothing had happened. I also suspect it was seeing Jack's reaction to Sam's pain on getting the phone call that proved to Kerry that he loved Sam.

Hopefully I'm not repeating what someone else said as I'm a bit behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Oma-1 View Post
                            Kerry came across to me as a very intelligent, capable woman, who understood not only her own feelings, but quickly understood Jack too. So I think she knew that Jack was holding part of himself back from the relationship. As soon as she saw Sam & Jack in his backyard and felt the tension between them, she knew exactly why he was holding back.
                            I've always thought that scene proves Jack has excellent taste in women.. I've often wondered as well if that didn't boost his ego a necessary bit as well - if one smart beautiful younger woman thought she might be falling for him, then maybe the other one in love with him wasn't throwing herself away on him. I think Jack has a bit of an ego problem, as many over achievers do, and Kerry's almost-admission probably did help give him some of the courage to say 'Always.'

Comment

Originally posted by Seahen View Post
                              If it makes you feel better, I wasn't born in the 80's.
                              Me neither. Well, I HAD already been born before the 80s, to clarify.. as some of ya'll hadn't yet been born in the 80s.

EDIT: And I live in Wisconsin, where lately the daily high of 10F seems quite balmy before it drops to the nightly low somewhere below -20. The 6 inches of snow on my car since I parked it at noon is pretty, though

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                                Fairly OT S/J, but OT Stargate, spoilers for Quarantine:
                                Spoiler:
                                While watching Quarantine, when all the 'Big Brains' were first locked up without commo or data stations, hubs and I hoped they weren't going to act as though, with those people out of it, no one else had enough sense between them to figure things out. It was so wonderfully refreshing to see that there were brilliant and compitent people besides main characters on SGA, and that even when put to it Shepherd was willing to show his brilliance. That was probably the best thing about that episode in general for me - characters shining outside their normal areas. I mean, even Rodney ended up showing more maturity and growth than I ever expected from him.
                                Cause, I mean, am I the only one who ever wondered what all those other folks on the Enterprise were for besides canon fodder?
                                Half of them
                                Spoiler:
                                were Kirk fodder.

Comment

Working...
                                X