Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    mmhm, sooky drongo

can someone translate teh aussie for us yanks please?

if i'm gonna start using that, i need to know what it means
    What Sky said.

suse
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
      Well......

a sook is a cry baby

and drongo has several meanings but in Rodney's case it would be an inept, awkward or embarrassing person

it also can be a fool, a stupid person, a dimwit or slow-witted person
      Heh, that sounds awful. But it's meant in the nicest possible way! Affectionate, like

"Ya cheeky drongo!"
      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by ~Sarah~ View Post
        Nope I do that '.....' as well, much easier to just ramble
        LOL, and isn't it amazing what we used to get away with as kids? I see some parents now, and they're so darn protective... It's like, How did we ever make it to our ages? We used to jump out of this big tree in my neighbors backyard, and sometime halfway through the fall the rope would kick in and you'd go swinging over this little creek.... Never in a million years would I do it now, but it was oh so much fun as a kid....
        I know! We were forever in and out of the childrens A&E department as kids and then the minor injuries unit once we hit 16 (my poor mother). I equally sometimes find myself wondering how the heck I managed to survive to adulthood.

Well......

a sook is a cry baby

and drongo has several meanings but in Rodney's case it would be an inept, awkward or embarrassing person

I'm a tad worried that I knew that *blinks*
        sigpic
        Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
        My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
          Heh, that sounds awful. But it's meant in the nicest possible way! Affectionate, like

"Ya cheeky drongo!"
          Yeah a lot of Aussie stuff is all about context and delivery
          an insult can be an insult or a term of affection or anything in between
          -

Comment

I ran across this book on CSPAN & meant to mention it in connection with Sam as a believable military woman. I haven't read it yet, but wondered if others had.
            I found this website for those that are interested: http://www.bandofsistersbook.com/

Comment

Well......

a sook is a cry baby

ah ok, well just so that we'renot mean, he can be our cute widdle wuvvable sooky drongo

can you imagine teh fun they'd have in an eps? have an aussie team member, call himthat, then have rod go nuts for the whole eps trying to figure out what it means?
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Hey Everyone,

First I love this > sooky drongo! HeHe! Now I have something new to call my brother, and he wont have any idea what it means

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                there's a new message from amanda on her website. and the birthday wishes are up. yay on both!

i LOVE to hear about amanda's life. olivia is a wonderful blessing to someone as beautiful (in soul) as amanda. amanda is truly enjoying her blessings.

sally
                It was a great message I was ROTFL! At the "Mac Hospital", I was nice to hear a little of Amanda's family news too, and little Olivia starting pre-school aww made me go all broody and feel old at the same time Oooh, I wonder if Amanda got her b'day cards/post cards that were sent to Bridge yet?
                Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
                A little more than OT.

I'm going to be offline for a while. We just found out yesterday that my Dad has Cancer and it's spread through out his body.

That's the reason why I won't be posting as much as I would when Atlantis starts.

Bye for now.
                LaCroix I'm sorry to hear about you Dad, I'll keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers

((((((LaCroix and family))))))))

Julia(samcarterrules)
                sigpic
                Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

A little more than OT.

I'm going to be offline for a while. We just found out yesterday that my Dad has Cancer and it's spread through out his body.

That's the reason why I won't be posting as much as I would when Atlantis starts.

Bye for now.
                  ((LaCroix)) I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    ah ok, well just so that we'renot mean, he can be our cute widdle wuvvable sooky drongo

can you imagine teh fun they'd have in an eps? have an aussie team member, call himthat, then have rod go nuts for the whole eps trying to figure out what it means?
                    I can just see Rod, going up to Sam and telling her what they are calling him. He's assuming since she's an egg head like him, she wouldn't know. Then he sees the smirk on her face and says..."oh come on, that's not fair, how could you possibly know that?"
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

A little more than OT.

Bye for now.
                      Sorry to hear that.

I loved Amanda's website message...the little pun she made was great.
                      "I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello..."

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        I can just see Rod, going up to Sam and telling her what they are calling him. He's assuming since she's an egg head like him, she wouldn't know. Then he sees the smirk on her face and says..."oh come on, that's not fair, how could you possibly know that?"
                        LOL, and then he goes on some rant about it, until either Sheppard cuts him off with the classic, 'Rodney.' Or Sam walks away still smirking to herself...
                        sigpic
                        awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                          Originally posted by ~Sarah~ View Post
                          LOL, and then he goes on some rant about it, until either Sheppard cuts him off with the classic, 'Rodney.' Or Sam walks away still smirking to herself...

i can see it now. just like you laid out. but shep and sam are talking about something. rod comes up, lays the 'sooky drongo' line on them, must be some sort of compliment. i'll need to ask about it the next time we talk to earth..yadda, yadda

sam goes : don't you know what that means
                          well of course i nkow what that means....you mean you do?
                          shep: i thought everyone knew what that meant
                          sam: I cant' imagine anyone not knowing
                          (they go on for a bit, really winding him up)

rod intuits that it's not a compliment, starts to rant a bit...
                          sam: Mckay
                          shep: You mean sooky, colonel
                          rod: dont' call me that, don't ever call me that

and he stomps off

then shep turns to sam: remind me, maam, to ask what that means

adn he leaves. while sam chuckles and shakes her head
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Don't know if this was posted here or not yet but there's a new article in SciFi Weekly with some interview tidbits...including a segment with Amanda. Some of it's familiar ground but the bit on McKay cracked me up:
                            Spoiler:
                            Amanda Tapping, you get to bring Carter to a whole new level in Atlantis. What's different about your character in Atlantis as opposed to Stargate SG-1?

Tapping: She now has to prove herself as a leader of an entire base—and, of course, her style is that she doesn't want to piss anyone off. She's coming into a situation on Atlantis where there's a lot of heartache. They've lost one of their very dear leaders, and I think they're reluctant to welcome someone new at first. And then of course it turns out to be Sam Carter, which is good for some people and not so good for others. So she has to tread lightly, but I think part of her command, at least the way that I've chosen to play it, is that she relies entirely on the strength of the people who are around her. She understands Shepherd's military expertise, and even though she may have the same amount of military expertise, it's not in this galaxy. She's never fought the Wraith before, so she defers to him a lot. She defers to McKay and his scientific expertise in the Pegasus galaxy. There's not as much head-butting with McKay as you might think—partly because she's in command and she has to show a certain modicum of respect even though he drives her crazy. And then Teyla and Ronon are complete unknowns to her, so she really has to make her way with them. So it's a lot different. It feels a lot different. The relationships are very new and fresh. Jewel Staite's on the show now as the doctor, and she's awesome—there's a neat friendship burgeoning there between our two characters.

Your character and that of Dr. Rodney McKay have a longstanding history that stretches back to the early days of SG-1. How does that impact your relationship now that you're in charge of the station?

Tapping: Well, I think he just simply has to concede that Carter's smarter and better [laughs]. I think he's come to terms with that, and if he hasn't then he should. Have they resolved it? I don't know. In my mind they have. I'm better and I'm smarter. And in David's mind he'll say the same thing. There's less butting heads this year for sure. But I think we'll get to that.

What about his ongoing romantic interest in you?

Tapping: Well, he has a girlfriend, and he actually says that. There's this wonderful scene where McKay says to Carter when she very first arrives on the base as the new commanding officer, "You know, I just thought you should know that I'm seeing someone and—" and then Carter's like blink, blink, blink. And it's quite funny, and David plays it brilliantly. He continues, "You know, so if you had any thoughts you and I would ..." It's pretty funny. In his typical McKay arrogant way, it's great.
                            Read the rest to see bits with David, Rachel and Joe.

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/interviews/sfw16933.html

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

A little more than OT.

Bye for now.
                              I'm sorry, I wish I had something useful to say

*hugs*
                              sigpic-
                              +I thought I was a fool for no one
                              but oh baby I'm a fool for you

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                                I ran across this book on CSPAN & meant to mention it in connection with Sam as a believable military woman. I haven't read it yet, but wondered if others had.
                                I found this website for those that are interested: http://www.bandofsistersbook.com/
                                No, I havent read it, but the cover is absolutely stunning! It grabbed my attention right away. If that's any indication then the book itself should be amazing. *puts on list of books to pick up*

Thanks for sharing this!

Originally posted by Über View Post
                                Don't know if this was posted here or not yet but there's a new article in SciFi Weekly with some interview tidbits...including a segment with Amanda. Some of it's familiar ground but the bit on McKay cracked me up:
                                Spoiler:
                                Amanda Tapping, you get to bring Carter to a whole new level in Atlantis. What's different about your character in Atlantis as opposed to Stargate SG-1?

Tapping: She now has to prove herself as a leader of an entire base—and, of course, her style is that she doesn't want to piss anyone off. She's coming into a situation on Atlantis where there's a lot of heartache. They've lost one of their very dear leaders, and I think they're reluctant to welcome someone new at first. And then of course it turns out to be Sam Carter, which is good for some people and not so good for others. So she has to tread lightly, but I think part of her command, at least the way that I've chosen to play it, is that she relies entirely on the strength of the people who are around her. She understands Shepherd's military expertise, and even though she may have the same amount of military expertise, it's not in this galaxy. She's never fought the Wraith before, so she defers to him a lot. She defers to McKay and his scientific expertise in the Pegasus galaxy. There's not as much head-butting with McKay as you might think—partly because she's in command and she has to show a certain modicum of respect even though he drives her crazy. And then Teyla and Ronon are complete unknowns to her, so she really has to make her way with them. So it's a lot different. It feels a lot different. The relationships are very new and fresh. Jewel Staite's on the show now as the doctor, and she's awesome—there's a neat friendship burgeoning there between our two characters.

Your character and that of Dr. Rodney McKay have a longstanding history that stretches back to the early days of SG-1. How does that impact your relationship now that you're in charge of the station?

Tapping: Well, I think he just simply has to concede that Carter's smarter and better [laughs]. I think he's come to terms with that, and if he hasn't then he should. Have they resolved it? I don't know. In my mind they have. I'm better and I'm smarter. And in David's mind he'll say the same thing. There's less butting heads this year for sure. But I think we'll get to that.

What about his ongoing romantic interest in you?

Tapping: Well, he has a girlfriend, and he actually says that. There's this wonderful scene where McKay says to Carter when she very first arrives on the base as the new commanding officer, "You know, I just thought you should know that I'm seeing someone and—" and then Carter's like blink, blink, blink. And it's quite funny, and David plays it brilliantly. He continues, "You know, so if you had any thoughts you and I would ..." It's pretty funny. In his typical McKay arrogant way, it's great.
                                Read the rest to see bits with David, Rachel and Joe.

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/interviews/sfw16933.html
                                Ooh nice interview! Haven't read this one yet. Thanks for posting this and sharing the link! I'll be heading there to read the rest after dinner.

Comment

Working...
                                X