Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
    This has been a ticking time bomb waiting to explode for a few months now. The franchise is changing, largely because the money behind it is demanding that change, rightly or wrongly, and the producers have been scrambling to make those interested parties happy. To be frank, setting aside the major casting shake up for SG-1 in preparation for season nine, I'm a little surprised things continued to float along via the status quo (relatively speaking) for as long as they did after RDA left.
    All spoilers, for whatever:
    Spoiler:
    I agree. Since the end of season eight--yes, when RDA and Gekko left the franchise--Scifi has had an unprecedented level of influence over the direction of the franchise. Whether it was at their behest or not, Ben Browder was hired (among many other reasons) because it would please the executives at Scifi. Joe Mallozzi has stated as much. Likewise, it seems that Claudia Black was brought back in late season nine, despite being very pregnant, because Scifi wanted to see Vala again in season nine. Despite the producers plans to return to the character in season ten, after Claudia gave birth and recovered, Vala was in fact given her very own episode that almost solely featured her to the exclusion of the rest of the cast. That did not happen just because Rob Cooper and the rest of the writers love the character. Any episode with such a narrow focus is almost always frowned upon for not appealing to a wide enough audience or incorporating enough of the cast.

Scifi has stated their desire to see more crossovers between SG-1 and Atlantis. Indeed, when MGM and Scifi were both posturing in the wake of SG-1's cancellation, a Scifi executive, as assuredly as he could, stated that there would be characters crossing over to Atlantis. And you know what? From Scifi's perspective, it is a no brainer. Atlantis, as it's own entity, has become insignificant. As a companion to SG-1, it was good business for Scifi to support the spin off. Paired together, they made for a formidable night of programming to a known, already-quantified audience. And back when it started, it was likely that Atlantis could pick up where SG-1 left off. Scifi could continue to tap that regular audience for the foreseeable future. Things are now different. Due to changes within the network philosophy, the deterioration of their relationship with MGM regarding Stargate, and Atlantis' seeming inability to significantly perform better than SG-1 (ratings numbers for the two shows are virtually identical), Scifi is now in a position to have to get as much out of Atlantis' immediate future as it can. That means doing everything it can to tap into any lost SG-1 viewers. As much as I'd like to think that everyone just loves Amanda Tapping so much that they can't stand to go on without her, I think the fact that she's being put on Atlantis is primarily the result of the studio having an option on her contract. Exercising that option solves Scifi's demand for a crossover character. And as much as I'd like to think that MGM and Bridge don't just bend to Scifi's will, that is simply not the case at this point. Scifi is the only venue to keep Atlantis going; the studio and Bridge need to keep Atlantis going until it has enough episodes to sell as a syndication package. It's business. And that has been more important than creative integrity ever since Atlantis began.

Golfbooy's obviously much-anticipated views on everything:

The Good

--SG-1 moving on to a longer, more substantial format. The show and characters (well, the Big Four) had advanced well beyond the confines of weekly episodic television three years ago. It took four episodes to do something substantial at the end of season seven and beginning of season eight. That should have been their first clue. It took five episodes to wrap the eighth season. That should have been their second.

--Whether it's been done in earnest or not, RDA has apparently been asked to be in the movies.

--Carter possibly being placed in command of Atlantis. Creatively, this is the only role for Carter on Atlantis that is befitting of Sam's stature as a character.

--Carter's possible promotion. After the collective ass-hattery of the last two seasons, it is something.

--Brad Wright. Sorry, despite whatever I may disagree with regarding his decisions as the Great Big Head of Stargate, he is still an awesome writer. With the scant information provided by the MGM press release, I'm already delighted with the second movie. He's still the best at playing with his toys. And his admission that SG-1 is missing something vital without Jack O'neill (as well as his tacit implication that seasons nine and ten have been, in some measure, "wrong" for going on without him) may be empty words. But sometimes "nothing" says just as much as "something".

--Rob Cooper's movie ends the Ori arc. I can't think of anything that might help SG-1 out of its recent funk more than finishing off the Ori/Ancient/Merlin mess.

The Bad

--Carter on Atlantis. Sorry, but it just sucks. For too many reasons to enumerate here.

--Torri Higginson being reduced to recurring. I think she was one of the better things about Atlantis. Perhaps that's because of Weir's scant use, though.

--Paul McGillion leaving. For the life of me, I don't understand the logic behind this one. I liked Beckett better than all of them. His character offered the writers a different type of story, one that was never really explored on SG-1 with Frasier.

--Carter on Atlantis for 14 episodes. Yeah, I mentioned it above, but it still sucks.

--A possible reduced role for Sam Carter in either movie because of filming commitments to with Atlantis.

--I think, though I don't know anything at all, that Amanda Tapping was NOT looking to enjoy such a substantial commitment within the franchise in the immediate future. She seemed optimisitic about both taking more time off to be with her family and moving on with a new project.

Disclaimer: These opinions are without value. Pay no attention. More than one of them is assuredly dead wrong. Besides, I'm already missed too much of Lawrence of Arabia. I'm going back to my movie now.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
      Unless......
      Spoiler:
      ...this is the plan they had long ago for her...but then SG-1 was renewed and they hadn't planned for it to be renewed, or rather they had planned to be proceeding with Stargate: Command...and therefore didn't know what to do with her there because they wanted to move her to Atlantis back then.
      If that little theory is true, that would explain quite a bit I think.
      Yep. I was just thinking that today and feeling kinda bad that I may have taken the whole "We don't know what to do w/Carter in S10" out of context. Of course the context wasn't given to us either.

suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy View Post
        All spoilers, for whatever:
        Spoiler:
        --A possible reduced role for Sam Carter in either movie because of filming commitments to with Atlantis.
        Spoiler:
        They (either RCC or BW) did mention that they were confident there would be no scheduling conflicts with Atlantis and the Movies. N. John Smith is apparently a master at this, because of the 3 years he's doing it between SG1 and Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
          Spoiler:
          Given that they will have fourteen episodes to play with for the next season of Atlantis, there are several roles I could see TPTB using. Sam will be around too much for her to be based on Earth and communicating with Atlantis, so she’ll have to be in the Pegasus galaxy at least part time.

One advantage is that Sam has ten years of history under her belt and, especially next to the Atlantis regulars, her character will be well developed so there won’t be any need to rush through a backstory and/or bombard the audience with flashbacks for her to catch up with them.

If she comes in as the new head of the Atlantis expedition, replacing Weir, then there would be potential for conflict; Weir has been working with the expedition team for three years, they know her and quite a few of them may resent Sam taking over, especially those who are against any more involvement by the military and/or the US government than there is already. This scenario would give scope for development for Sam and all the Atlantis regulars, but it would also involve setting Sam apart from the other characters and I’m not sure whether TPTB would be prepared to take that step.

As well as that, AT is only obligated to the franchise for one year, and isn’t Sam supposed to be in the movies? If Sam was in charge of Atlantis, she’d have to be there full time so unless the movies are to be set between the end of Season Ten and the beginning of Season Four of Atlantis or after the end of Season Four, Sam couldn’t really be in both.

Another possibility is that Sam is transferred to join the Atlantis expedition. In that case, as she has seniority over Sheppard, it is very possible that she would automatically take precedence as military leader but I don’t see TPTB letting that happen.

Sam commanding a ship is doable. She wouldn’t be taking over either Weir or Sheppard’s roles but would still be able to play a major role in the story. However, by the sounds of things, hers wouldn’t be the only ship around.

A fourth possibility is that Sam comes to Atlantis for what she thinks will be a short visit – maybe to help McKay and his team with a project – but is stranded there for most of the season when Atlantis is cut off from Earth. This scenario has its disadvantages, though. Sam would still outrank Sheppard and, with careless writing, it could easily become all about Sam’s quest to get home and, while I wouldn’t object to seeing a Sam-centric storyline, I could see all the other characters and storylines being neglected, which wouldn’t do Atlantis any good.

A lot depends on TPTB. If they’ve learned the importance of balance, both in terms of the storylines and in terms of giving every character his or her own chance for screentime and development, then Season Four could be fantastic. If they’re going to concentrate on one or two characters and ignore the others, then regardless of who those characters are, it will not end well.
          Spoilers regarding Sam in SGA S4:
          Spoiler:
          I don't see them letting Sam take over for Shep either. But not because it's inapproriate. That pesky XX (chromosomal thing) rears it's head again. I'm not bothered by Sam possibly outranking Shep. While he'd have to show her respect, he's designated head of the military aspects, not her. Not a problem.

I don't want Sam to bulldoze her way onto Atlantis the way Mitchell (and Vala) did on SG-1. I'm hopehopehoping they've learned that particular lesson.

100% agreed with your last paragraph.

suse
          Last edited by suse; 15 January 2007, 09:25 PM.
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I agree that the "We don't know what to do with Sam" comment during that whole debacle could've been taken out of context. However, based on how they actually utilized the character in the latter half of S9 and during S10, it would seem that they really didn't. Therefore, while I agree that we (some of us; not all) turned into a very angry mob, I don't think the interpretation of the situation was inaccurate... The results prove that.

That's why I also don't blame Torri and Paul fans for their reactions and concern. I wholly sympathize. "That's showbiz" is just too simple an explanation for the things that happen on scifi shows it seems. Paul and Torri may be completely over it by now, and could be finding fulfilling work elsewhere for all we know. However, the way it's been handled - coldly, as Sky put it - is, I think, what strikes a nerve with many fans.

And those who overreact are given credence when the worst that can happen DOES happen over and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
              Spoilers regarding Sam in SGA S4:
              Spoiler:
              I don't see them letting Sam take over for Shep either. But not because it's inapproriate. That pesky XX rears it's head again. I'm not bothered by Sam possibly outranking Shep. While he'd have to show her respect, he's designated head of the military aspects, not her. Not a problem.

I don't want Sam to bulldoze her way onto Atlantis the way Mitchell (and Vala) did on SG-1. I'm hopehopehoping they've learned that particular lesson.

100% agreed with your last paragraph.

suse
              I bet Amanda won't let any bull dozing happen. Amanda is a class act. I know she doesn't have a tremendous amount of power over her character, but occasionally the PTB listen to her. (Hey, she said now Sam/Cam and there has been no Sam/Cam.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
                I bet Amanda won't let any bull dozing happen. Amanda is a class act. I know she doesn't have a tremendous amount of power over her character, but occasionally the PTB listen to her. (Hey, she said now Sam/Cam and there has been no Sam/Cam.)
                I agree. I think she'd mitigate thany of that to the best of her ability. She's a gem. A true team player.
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I look forward to Sam's part on Atlantis... However my excitement at seeing Sam on Atlantis stems from a couple of things.

1. I am totally okay with Sam being a reoccurring character on Atlantis and I don't mind if she is only on screen limited minutes in those
                  Spoiler:
                  14 episodes

2. As long as those moments have good character interactions...kick butt solider Sam and/or brilliant scientist Sam on Atlantis would be a blast to watch! I don't want to watch Sam just standing around reading a phone book! I didn't like how tptb used RDA cameos in SG-1 over the last two years. I love to see Jack interact in the story and add to the story arc! RDA is one of my favorite actors.

3. I don't want Sam to take the place of any character and it doesn't seem like she is from the interviews that I have seen...

4. I want to see her interacting with Weir, Shep, Ronon, and Teyla. I enjoy her banter between McKay, but I don't want that to be the only reason she is on the show...

5. I am hoping beyond hope tptb will actually write good stories that entertain and they use the wonderful talents they have in all the actors. There is so much potential on Atlantis... I just worry about all the changes so quickly..

ok there is my 2 cents...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    GUYS
                    first, it's enough that a good chunk of the atlantis fans and the torri/weir fans are having kittens, i do no need an implosion in here too. It's a holiday and the liquor stores are closed and it's too frakking cold to go out and get me more booze.
                    Let's leave what happens on other sites on other sites.
                    My OPINION on that article
                    Spoiler:
                    it's conjecture. logical conjecture, but conjecture nonetheless. Think about it logically. What two roles can sam REALLY fill? she's too high of a rank to just become a scientist and i doubt she quits the military and then runs off to another galaxy. especially given what we know to be 'true' about how she arrives.
                    thus there are two major options
                    In command of a ship. Her own or the Daedy.
                    In command of the city.
                    To do EITHER, she'd need to be a full colonel. If for no other reason than to put her on a more level playing field with calewell and make the chain of command with sheppard clear.
                    So what's on that site, while conjecture (unless and until they cite thier source) is simply a progression of logic

Now there are enough kittens around here, we do not need more.

Y'al realize what's happened? We've been played yet again. What happens dureing eveyr single hiatus???? Spoilers are leaked and they're leaked in a way as to rouse the rabble and get people ticked off and talking. Which is precisely what's happened.
                    Sciffy knows that interest is likely to fade during their bonehead greedy assed 6 month hiatus, so they're (in collusion wiht mgm) are stirring fans up. Which is likely precisely why these interviews were released and released in such a cold way.

What's gonna happen in s10/3 HAS happened. show's done and in the can. What's gonna happen in s4 is already being scripted and will go before the camera in a month or two. it's almost history.

IMHO, the boys are on notice and if they don't get atlantis' ratings up, the show is over. One of those interviews implied as much. Hence the changes. Whether or not they'll work, only time will tell.

But we do not need any war on this thread.
                    Wow...I mean really...wow...excellent post Sky...made me laugh...just a bit...I love SGA...obviously not as much as SG1...but I can't see them going beyond season 5...they were on a good thing with SG1...they started well with SGA...but now they have totally lost the plot.
                    I really feel for Amanda and Torri...I hope this all works out for the both of them!
                    Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
                    I finally got a chance to catch up, and I'm not really going to comment on much. I loved what DH said about Amanda, and I love the idea of Amanda being a
                    Spoiler:
                    full bird.
                    I feel sorry for the SGA fans who are upset about all the changes.
                    Now, Amanda, if you are lurking. Do not look outside of Samanda right now! Stay here where it is nice and safe. Don't torment yourself. You will blow them away with your brilliant abilities. Like DH says, any show with Amanda is Amanda's show. Your fans can't wait to see what Sam does next!
                    I agree with your comments Michelle!...I seriously doubt that Amanda will be doing any lurking for a while..I hope Alan keeps her away from the computer until this all dies down a bit...I would hate for her to read any negative comments made about her...especially now.
                    (((Amanda)))...Samanda will always be a safe and happy haven for you here Amanda!

Just a quick fly by to pop in and see how things are going here in Samanda...took Niki shopping and had a squishy or slurpy...whatever they call em...coz it's really hot today...it's 5.55pm and it's 40C(104F) on the verandah...yep...I hate summer...I wish it was Autumn already!!
                    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Chiming in after a long absence.

I'll admit I've always had my reservations about Sam in Atlantis.

I love the character - she's my favourite member of SG1, and Amanda is a darling all over.

When the spoilers first came out, I was worried - I like Atlantis as it is, and the prospect of Carter being 'shoehorned' in was a big concern. Especially since several of the current Atlantis characters have already been sat on the backburner, and the writers are familiar with writing for Sam.

However, after sitting back, rereading the transcripts of the interview, and thinking about it, I'm not quite so worried.

I doubt that all the episodes she's signed up for can feature her front-and-centre - and although I'm a Sam fan, I sincerely hope they won't - there are other characters in Atlantis who are slated for some screentime and development. Sadly, it seems Elizabeth isn't one of them - at least not at first. (Since Brad has said Liz will be recurring for a while.)

In the meantime, I'll wait and see what the season brings.

Sel.
                      Last edited by seldear; 15 January 2007, 11:10 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by seldear View Post
                        Chiming in after a long absence.

I'll admit I've always had my reservations about Sam in Atlantis.

I love the character - she's my favourite member of SG1, and Amanda is a darling all over.

When the spoilers first came out, I was worried - I like Atlantis as it is, and the prospect of Carter being 'shoehorned' in was a big concern. Especially since several of the current Atlantis character have already been sat on the backburner, and the writers are familiar with writing for Sam.

However, after sitting back, rereading the transcripts of the interview, and thinking about it, I'm not quite so worried.

I doubt that all the episodes she's signed up for can feature her front-and-centre - and although I'm a Sam fan, I sincerely hope they won't - there are other characters in Atlantis who are slated for some screentime and development. Sadly, it seems Elizabeth isn't one of them - at least not at first. (Since Brad has said Liz will be recurring for a while.)

In the meantime, I'll wait and see what the season brings.

Sel.

I'm in wait and see mode myself. I'm not adverse to the concept of Sam in Atlantis as Daniel and Sam are two logical candidates to go there HOWEVER I am worried about how it could be implemented. My trust in TPTB is at an all time low, I know they can come up with good stories and characterisations but IMO they haven't been delivering lately. I'm a fan of SGA and I'm not happy with the other cast changes though I am willingly to wait and see how they decide to implement them.

I know Amanda will give her all to whatever she is given so I'm not at all worried about that. I just wish I could be more optimistic about TPTB.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                          here's a question i have...

spoilers for the end s10/last ep-atlantis s4-sg1 movies

Spoiler:
                          how is the time line for the movies vrs atlantis? meaning, will sam arriving at atlantis be just 'after' the events in movie 1, or both movies, or just before the movies, or happening at the same time?

sally
                          Good question Sally...I was wondering that myself...and I think they will do it that way (spoilers for end sg1, sga and movies) (a lot of speculations)
                          Spoiler:
                          I think after the end of sg1, Amanda (and also Sam) will be doing the movies first.Cause I can not believe that Sam would go to Atlantis with the Ori still out there and not be destroyed. I mean it would be stupid eh...I mean I can not believe she would just go to Atlantis visitting, maybe even leading it or leading a ship while earth is at the mercy of the Ori. I think she then will be sure and look for solutions to defeat them. If Daniel would have go to Atlantis while the Ori thread I could understand that cause he would probably be in the data-base looking for evidence of how to defeat the ori...
                          So Sally to make a long answer short I think it will go sg1-movies- sga...
                          Although I am not sure if that is possible though...I mean no way the movie will be finished before sga...so this might be an issue eh...

Anyone wants to try to explain this to me and Sally?? cause I am confused with my own explanation lol

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                          I'm in wait and see mode myself. I'm not adverse to the concept of Sam in Atlantis as Daniel and Sam are two logical candidates to go there HOWEVER I am worried about how it could be implemented. My trust in TPTB is at an all time low, I know they can come up with good stories and characterisations but IMO they haven't been delivering lately. I'm a fan of SGA and I'm not happy with the other cast changes though I am willingly to wait and see how they decide to implement them.

I know Amanda will give her all to whatever she is given so I'm not at all worried about that. I just wish I could be more optimistic about TPTB.
                          Good idea Rox...I think that is the best idea...just wait and see...don't think to much about it cause you don't know what's going on anyway so...You can speculate all you want you still will have to see it eh
                          And true Amanda will do great no matter what she is presented. that makes her a great actress...but true I am also sceptic about the PTB... So wait and see is the thing we have to do eh

Btw caption time:

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                            Speaking of that, didn't Brad Wright say they've been wanting to do this crossover thing with Sam for a while now but they couldn't because SG-1 kept getting renewed. I have to wonder if the whole 'don't know what to do' thing came from them exploring the Atlantis options for Sam a year and half ago, not because they actually had nfi what to do with her character?
                            I was thinking the exact same thing. Good point is basically what I want to say.

And Skydiver, apparetly I can't give you green jelly right now, but bless your heart, and thankyou so much for being a voice of reason as always! It was great in the middle of the last implosion, and I am equally greatful for it now!

Comment

Amanda knew that it wouldn't be popular. She said as much in her interview with me. She knew that some atlantis fans wouldn't be too crazy about it and hoped that folks would give it a chance.

I'm in a better position than some fans. I don't have the emotional attachment to atlantis as a show or any of its characters, so the decision isn't as gutting to me as it is to some.

But some fans are very upset. what folks need to do is just let them alone and let them work out thier upset and deal with it. Folks don't have to agree with how they feel but you do need to respect it.

ETA: I'm not jumping on you guys, just a general comment. As long as the atlantis fans are having kittens in the appropriate place, let them. Let them work out thier grief and frustration and things will calm down....eventually.... maybe...someday
                              Last edited by Skydiver; 16 January 2007, 04:55 AM.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                But some fans are very upset. what folks need to do is just let them alone and let them work out thier upset and deal with it. Folks don't have to agree with how they feel but you do need to respect it.

ETA: I'm not jumping on you guys, just a general comment. As long as the atlantis fans are having kittens in the appropriate place, let them. Let them work out thier grief and frustration and things will calm down....eventually.... maybe...someday
                                Absolutely, well said, Sky.

It would be crass (if not cruel) of people - especially here - to dig in and rub dirt into this situation. Fans are passionate people, which is why we get together and choose to share like-minded interest(s) in this way. I don't think I've read anyone (here) who isn't sympathetic to the feelings of the other fans, on the contrary, I think it's sympathy and experience here which has a lot of people empathising. That's what lead to (I know my own) castigation of some of the 'news' items I read. Beyond that, I think the mood of the day around here has largely been... lets see what happens (with Carter). One way or another, I have a strong feeling we're all going to be watching, regardless.

Hugs,
                                mg

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Working...
                                X