X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
    Just my 2cents worth.

From http://savestargatesg1.com/about.php
    Save Stargate SG-1 is co-owned by Alison of Stargate SG-1 Solutions, Darren of GateWorld, Nathan of Stargate Game and Dan of Stargate Project.de. The site is administed by Alison, Darren, Nathan and Dan.

That being established, the news article starts with a bullet point summary by Michelle from Solutions Site - it is a nice summary of RC & BW's new interviews on MGM's site.

The problem that I have is with the end of the article.

Spoiler:
    Now Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis creators, executive producers and writers Brad Wright have confirmed the heavy presence we were predicting for Tapping in Season 4 of Atlantis: the studio has exercised the option on her contract and she’s in for 14 episodes.

Not much of a proble with this as BW & RC did state AT would be in 14 episodes. Wording as heavy presence well that is the writer of the articles spin.

Look to see Carter promoted early in the season to full-bird colonel [necessary for her to outrank Sheppard] and taking on the leadership of the Atlantis mission in Weir’s place. The Season 3 finale will lead to an early departure for Weir in S4, but it’s good news for fans of the character that she’s not being killed off and may return later in the season.

This the part I have trouble with - I have watched each of the interviews a couple of times and nowhere in them did I hear anyone say Carter would be promoted and taking over the leadership of Atlantis from Weir. Could it be true and they have talked with one of TPTB maybe. But until I hear it from directly in an interview with one of TPTB I will take this statement with a grain of salt. In other words I will fully believe it when I hear some working at Bridge confirm it. It may be true but I will not get upset without hearing confirmation.

Lisening to MW's interview and the spoilers he gives for the end of the season I do easliy see Weir in major peril when S3 ends.

Bottom line only time will tell what is really going to happen.
    Spoiler:
    Sam was promoted to lieutenant colonel about a year before Sheppard. She has seniority as it is.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Regarding that particular spoiler... I listened to and transcribed several of the interviews and nowhere did I hear anything about Sam being
      Spoiler:
      promoted to a full-bird colonel. For one thing, how would that mess up the movies? Although they do hand out promotions pretty easily in the Stargate shows.
      NOt sure where that tidbit came from.

However, don't turn this thread into a slanging match on another site. They made a mistake with one piece of news. If this one's a mistake, it will show up quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        Regarding that particular spoiler... I listened to and transcribed several of the interviews and nowhere did I hear anything about Sam being
        Spoiler:
        promoted to a full-bird colonel. For one thing, how would that mess up the movies? Although they do hand out promotions pretty easily in the Stargate shows.
        NOt sure where that tidbit came from.

However, don't turn this thread into a slanging match on another site. They made a mistake with one piece of news. If this one's a mistake, it will show up quickly.
        Not sure what you are referring to about the “slanging match”?

the promotional bit came from http://savestargatesg1.com/about.php .... yeah we know it didn't come from BW or RC... it was from a fan's opinion at the end of transcribing the interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
          To be fair, it's not the site I'm interested in discussing, it's the wording of the "news" and the validity of it therein. If a website passes itself off as a legitimate place for fans to acquire legitimate news, their articles and their wording become fair game for discussion. I can completely sympathise with the notion of not taking "personal issues" to the forefront within this sort of venue, however the day we cannot express or discuss the wording of so-called "news articles" on this particular forum is the day I think it's become somewhat arbitrarily totalitarian around here and I'd choose not to participate any longer (what would be the point? so that we can all discuss hearts and flowers?). News is (supposed to be) news, if it's worded in a balanced, objective way, as news should be, I won't take it to task. If it's worded in such a way as to deliberately stir the proverbial pot, then editorializing about its motivation is well within reason. There is a line - but it is not THIS far out to sea. In this case, the news is very specifically about the character of Sam Carter within the scope of the continuation of the Stargate franchise, ergo I'm discussing it here.

mg (I'd challenge the agenda of any news venue (be it an internet website, or be it MSNBC, CNN or FOX television), when I feel the source has become less than objective or is deliberately leading in their reporting style)
          Last edited by minigeek; 15 January 2007, 02:29 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
            On a serious note, I've just been assuming that Sam will be a full "bird colonel" in SGA. It's only right.
            Oh...that'd be nice.
            Originally posted by parsifal View Post
            Atlantis S4 spoilers:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=694

I'm hoping this isn't true. There couldn't be a much worse situation for Amanda.
            Spoiler:
            That can't be true. Sam's not gonna waltz in and take over Atlantis; I just can't see that happening anyway. Promotion, sure I'd love that. But I don't think AT is going to get tied down to SGA. Then again, who knows? I just don't want Amanda taking any of the blame for this.

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
            Yep.

Unintelligble little rant ahead...
            Spoiler:

It irks me to no end that they didn't know what to do with AT when they had her contracted for two years' worth of Stargate SG-1. That's 35 episodes that were essentially squandered because they were so in love with their shiny new, fool-proof storyline.
            Spoiler:
            Oh, yeah. They don't know what to do with her, then all the sudden they're so excited about this move to SGA. I will never understand TPTB.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
              Oh...that'd be nice.

Spoiler:
              That can't be true. Sam's not gonna waltz in and take over Atlantis; I just can't see that happening anyway. Promotion, sure I'd love that. But I don't think AT is going to get tied down to SGA. Then again, who knows? I just don't want Amanda taking any of the blame for this.

Spoiler:
              Oh, yeah. They don't know what to do with her, then all the sudden they're so excited about this move to SGA. I will never understand TPTB.
              Unless......
              Spoiler:
              ...this is the plan they had long ago for her...but then SG-1 was renewed and they hadn't planned for it to be renewed, or rather they had planned to be proceeding with Stargate: Command...and therefore didn't know what to do with her there because they wanted to move her to Atlantis back then.

If that little theory is true, that would explain quite a bit I think.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                To be fair, it's not the site I'm interested in discussing, it's the wording of the "news" and the validity of it therein. If a website passes itself off as a legitimate place for fans to acquire legitimate news, their articles and their wording become fair game for discussion. I can completely sympathise with the notion of not taking "personal issues" to the forefront within this sort of venue, however the day we cannot express or discuss the wording of so-called "news articles" on this particular forum is the day I think it's become somewhat arbitrarily totalitarian around here and I'd choose not to participate any longer (what would be the point? so that we can all discuss hearts and flowers?). News is (supposed to be) news, if it's worded in a balanced, objective way, as news should be, I won't take it to task. If it's worded in such a way as to deliberately stir the proverbial pot, then editorializing about its motivation is well within reason. There is a line - but it is not THIS far out to sea. In this case, the news is very specifically about the character of Sam Carter within the scope of the continuation of the Stargate franchise, ergo I'm discussing it here.

mg (I'd challenge the agenda of any news venue (be it an internet website, or be it MSNBC, CNN or FOX television), when I feel the source has become less than objective or is deliberately leading in their reporting style)
                Here! Here!! If it's not factual, then all that was needed was "In speculation" in the beginning of thier translation.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post

Spoiler:
                  Spoiler:
                  They didn't say they knew what to do with her, they said they knew she was a fan magnet.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                  ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

True.

However,
                    Spoiler:

Hasn't there been some suggestion that there will be a heavier military presence on Atlantis. Michael Beech will be playing a military officer who's an adversary (not new for Atlantis, I know). It would make sense if the SGC is closed down, or if its funding is reduced in some capacity, for the US government to make a stronger military front, right? I'm just trying to figure out what the SGC will be doing, and if it'll even exist, once SG-1 ends. It would seem that that would determine how they'd write Carter into the series in the first place.
                    Spoiler:
                    Given that they will have fourteen episodes to play with for the next season of Atlantis, there are several roles I could see TPTB using. Sam will be around too much for her to be based on Earth and communicating with Atlantis, so she’ll have to be in the Pegasus galaxy at least part time.

One advantage is that Sam has ten years of history under her belt and, especially next to the Atlantis regulars, her character will be well developed so there won’t be any need to rush through a backstory and/or bombard the audience with flashbacks for her to catch up with them.

If she comes in as the new head of the Atlantis expedition, replacing Weir, then there would be potential for conflict; Weir has been working with the expedition team for three years, they know her and quite a few of them may resent Sam taking over, especially those who are against any more involvement by the military and/or the US government than there is already. This scenario would give scope for development for Sam and all the Atlantis regulars, but it would also involve setting Sam apart from the other characters and I’m not sure whether TPTB would be prepared to take that step.

As well as that, AT is only obligated to the franchise for one year, and isn’t Sam supposed to be in the movies? If Sam was in charge of Atlantis, she’d have to be there full time so unless the movies are to be set between the end of Season Ten and the beginning of Season Four of Atlantis or after the end of Season Four, Sam couldn’t really be in both.

Another possibility is that Sam is transferred to join the Atlantis expedition. In that case, as she has seniority over Sheppard, it is very possible that she would automatically take precedence as military leader but I don’t see TPTB letting that happen.

Sam commanding a ship is doable. She wouldn’t be taking over either Weir or Sheppard’s roles but would still be able to play a major role in the story. However, by the sounds of things, hers wouldn’t be the only ship around.

A fourth possibility is that Sam comes to Atlantis for what she thinks will be a short visit – maybe to help McKay and his team with a project – but is stranded there for most of the season when Atlantis is cut off from Earth. This scenario has its disadvantages, though. Sam would still outrank Sheppard and, with careless writing, it could easily become all about Sam’s quest to get home and, while I wouldn’t object to seeing a Sam-centric storyline, I could see all the other characters and storylines being neglected, which wouldn’t do Atlantis any good.

A lot depends on TPTB. If they’ve learned the importance of balance, both in terms of the storylines and in terms of giving every character his or her own chance for screentime and development, then Season Four could be fantastic. If they’re going to concentrate on one or two characters and ignore the others, then regardless of who those characters are, it will not end well.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I just finished listening to Martin Woods interview - I must say having listened to all but Andy Mikitas now it is hard to believe they released these without editing out some of the content that is included until after the back half of the seasons has finished airing. Martin talks at the end of his about the season finially for SGA - he says it is a huge episode and one that starts a major new arc for the series. I did not transcribe it but after hearing his spoilers I can see a little better were cast changes are going to fall and why.

One interesting point of his interview he was asked what he had been doing during the break in filming and he said he was working on a new project that is going to be hitting the internet soon. But he would not say anymore than that until it is ready for release.
                      You're teasing us, tsax!
                      Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                      My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc View Post
                        14 episodes - let's hope they use Carter appropriately and not as a foil, or anything else, just for Rodney. I tell you honestly I am worreid about 14 eps because there is so much more opportunity for these guys to screw things up royally and these guys have shown lately that they can't do anything substantive or creative with Carter,IMO. I really, really hope this works out for Carter and for SGA because these guys (TPTKSG-1) have shown that when they screw up they really screw up and thier recent track record sucks.

I also hope this does not mean that they will minimize Carter in the movies if AT is busy filming with SGA - Carter should play a huge role in the movies because of her importance and contributions to SG-1 for 10 years and if they use this as an excuse to minimize Carter that will pretty much seal it for me that SGA and the movies will not get one iota of my support in any way shape or form.

here's a question i have...

spoilers for the end s10/last ep-atlantis s4-sg1 movies

Spoiler:
                        how is the time line for the movies vrs atlantis? meaning, will sam arriving at atlantis be just 'after' the events in movie 1, or both movies, or just before the movies, or happening at the same time?

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                          Unless......
                          Spoiler:
                          ...this is the plan they had long ago for her...but then SG-1 was renewed and they hadn't planned for it to be renewed, or rather they had planned to be proceeding with Stargate: Command...and therefore didn't know what to do with her there because they wanted to move her to Atlantis back then.

If that little theory is true, that would explain quite a bit I think.
                          I agree:

Spoiler:
                          I've thought for awhile now that the "not sure what to do with Sam" idea was referring to not knowing how much they wanted her in SG-1 versus SGA, given that SG-1 continued in season 9 (and they didn't think it would). My view is that they have wanted Sam in SGA for a very long time. I think this because I remember reading an interview with AT and DH together during October, right after the filming of season 8. In this interview it was stated that TPTB wanted Sam to be a part of the two parter for season 2 of SGA, but that she was pregnant and so could not be in SGA. Then last year we hear that AT might be split between the two shows. That didn't happen, but now AT/Sam can go to SGA. I think TPTB have wanted it all along, but SG-1 kept getting renewed. I think that that is what TPTB is referring to when RCC said that they weren't sure what to do with Sam.

Granted, Sam was wallpapered in season 9, but it's been slightly better in the first half of season 10, and I'm hoping, like others, that the second half is even better in terms of balance between all the characters, including Sam.

I'm probably wrong, but it does seem that they have wanted Sam's presence on SGA since the beginning of season 2.

On another note, I hope that we find out what Torri H.'s wishes are. I am surprised that they would take the female lead and reduce her to recurring. If this had happened to any SG-1 main character, it would have been crazy! I hope she wanted this reduced schedule, but I guess the TV industry is not easy. I hope we find out soon.

Last edited by chocdoc; 15 January 2007, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Okay for those that have not been able to see it here is what David Hewlett said about Amanda

Spoiler:
                            DH: (Talking about “Grace Under Pressure”) You have a lot of lines, then it’s block shoot in a single location. So you would have days were they we would go anywhere from 8-12 pages of straight on McKay dialogue. Then what is much more pleasant McKay and Amanda, Samantha I should say probably. I say Amanda, because that is when it gets much more pleasant when it is just me and Amanda soaking wet in a swimming pool. It’s a dream many people have had, I got to live it.

Interviewer: And you don’t get to lose her either. How do you feel about the fact that your lovely love is going to be coming over to your show.

DH: I’m love it. Any show that Amanda is on is her show as far as I’m concerned. Like she is just, there is a great description that Michael Beech said when he joined the show, he met my girlfriend and he said there is something about her, there is a light about Jane and I would apply the exactly some thing about Amanda as well. She is one of those people that just, there is just something about her, about her personality, about the way she deals with people that goes beyond, it makes her, she is beautiful anyways but there is just that extra kind of a glow about Amanda that very few actors have that ability to bring that real life personality into a character and she has done that. She has done that with Samantha. I’m convinced that while the show is a fantastic premise, the fantastic SciFi going on Amanda has just this fantastically intricate character which has just so nicely interwoven with who she is, you know you get this sense of good and true mortal compass, you know this whole kind of sort of perfect person. So yeah I think the point is I’m really not looking forward to her joining the show at all. Because frankly I can’t have that kind of competition. (All said with a smile – you so can tell he is really excited to be working with Amanda)

(Later in the interview)

Interviewer: What’s new for s4.

DH: For S4 I haven’t a clue, I’ve been on holiday. So is that right S4 we have not done S4 yet. Nobody tells us anything. Amanda would be a big thing, the thing that I have heard about S4 which I’m obviously excited about is Amanda being onboard. Um we’ve got Michael Beech has joined us I don’t know how long that will be for, I don’t know what the nature of that deal is.
                            Very sweet and nice words that David has to say about Amanda and about Sam. And very true.

And with all these cast changes in SG:A and SG actors overall trying to keep all their skillets out there in the fire so to speak...
                            Spoiler:
                            Question re: DH- how much longer does he have on Atlantis - didn't I read somewhere around here that NBC is backing a series he'll be writing for/starring in. Or is that just a bit of 'NetNattering going on?

Details from MGM on the two new movie plots (their press release of today's date):

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...21&newsLang=en
                            A lot can change, also Mandy. I would think the second movie will probably go through at least one more rewrite/major revision before pp starts. The crux of the premise may not change, but a lot of other details may.
                            I like what Cohen says, even if it's the biggest pile of *coughs* that there is.

"`Stargate SG-1' is to MGM Television what the ‘James Bond,’ ‘Pink Panther’ and the ‘Rocky’ franchises are to our feature film unit," said Cohen. "We are committed to continuing to release new SG-1 content and its `Stargate Atlantis' spin-off, and we're also steadfast in our dedication to extending the franchise. ‘Stargate’ is an indelible brand for MGM and we will support it well into the future."

The movies sound interesting, though I wonder about the writing - is that all they've been writing for at the moment or are they working on SGA scripts too? If the movies were their *sole* focus, then there's some hope. And like mini said - things can and will change - right up to the final edits and post-productions before they're released. So... *keeps fingers crossed*

True.

However,
                            Spoiler:

Hasn't there been some suggestion that there will be a heavier military presence on Atlantis. Michael Beech will be playing a military officer who's an adversary (not new for Atlantis, I know). It would make sense if the SGC is closed down, or if its funding is reduced in some capacity, for the US government to make a stronger military front, right? I'm just trying to figure out what the SGC will be doing, and if it'll even exist, once SG-1 ends. It would seem that that would determine how they'd write Carter into the series in the first place.
                            Spoiler:
                            I think the SGC will still exist, though more in a civilian, diplomatic capacity (and maybe in a more scientific idea exchange kind of way). There's still so many worlds to explore (and old ones to revisit, provided the PTB Ori don't eliminate all of Earth's former alien allies before the end of S10) 'Course there's always that military vs. civilian motives/rule thing going on too..
                            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

GUYS

first, it's enough that a good chunk of the atlantis fans and the torri/weir fans are having kittens, i do no need an implosion in here too. It's a holiday and the liquor stores are closed and it's too frakking cold to go out and get me more booze.

Let's leave what happens on other sites on other sites.

My OPINION on that article
                              Spoiler:
                              it's conjecture. logical conjecture, but conjecture nonetheless. Think about it logically. What two roles can sam REALLY fill? she's too high of a rank to just become a scientist and i doubt she quits the military and then runs off to another galaxy. especially given what we know to be 'true' about how she arrives.

thus there are two major options

In command of a ship. Her own or the Daedy.
                              In command of the city.

To do EITHER, she'd need to be a full colonel. If for no other reason than to put her on a more level playing field with calewell and make the chain of command with sheppard clear.

So what's on that site, while conjecture (unless and until they cite thier source) is simply a progression of logic

Now there are enough kittens around here, we do not need more.

Y'al realize what's happened? We've been played yet again. What happens dureing eveyr single hiatus???? Spoilers are leaked and they're leaked in a way as to rouse the rabble and get people ticked off and talking. Which is precisely what's happened.

Sciffy knows that interest is likely to fade during their bonehead greedy assed 6 month hiatus, so they're (in collusion wiht mgm) are stirring fans up. Which is likely precisely why these interviews were released and released in such a cold way.

What's gonna happen in s10/3 HAS happened. show's done and in the can. What's gonna happen in s4 is already being scripted and will go before the camera in a month or two. it's almost history.

IMHO, the boys are on notice and if they don't get atlantis' ratings up, the show is over. One of those interviews implied as much. Hence the changes. Whether or not they'll work, only time will tell.

But we do not need any war on this thread.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

as the news about sam/amanda going to atlantis has kicked in, and the storylines for the last ep and both movies have been revealed...

~spoilers~

Spoiler:
                                i'm scared s##tless.

i'm sorry to say, but i was looking forward to it all ending. season 9 destroyed everything i liked about stargate sg1 in one fail swoop. i lost my second fave character (jack), i lost my fave storyline (s/j), and my first fave character (guess who?) was pushed down to a supporting character. oh, and the writing became blasé. i just wanted it to end.

but... now we've got two new movies to look forward to. and now sam's going to be in a LOT of atlantis episodes...

i have three main fears-

1 - how will fans react to sam/amanda being on atlantis? (i don't want amanda treated harshly)

2 - how will sam be used in atlantis?

3 - (the biggie for me) i want the sam/jack issue resolved with sam being with jack, period. no shipping sam off with mckay, or mitchell (in 'unending'), or leaving things open for her in the ship department. *this* issue is the biggest for me, because i've been waiting for the ship to become a relationship for 10 years. (the longer one is denied/teased, the biggie the issue becomes)

as much as i KNOW the sam carter story isn't done by a long shot, i'm still not squeeing with this news because i just keep thinking of all the ways they can screw this up and hurt the sam character even more. the writers scare me with what they've done (and not done) with sam since season 9.

even though this is not a sam/ship thread, i'm telling fellow sam fans that my number one fear is them shipping sam off with someone else. this is one of the reasons why i wish they'd marry her off to jack (besides the obvious). i feel them not following through with what they proposed for 8 years hurt sam's credibility (not because it made her look wishy-washy, but because it made her intense feelings for jack seem not so intense after all. same with jack).

i want to be squeeing, but i'm just too scared. and forget about fantasizing about what they might do with sam on atlantis (her own ship, commanding, being lead(er) of something)....

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X