No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow - I go to bed and you guys get prolific with the posts!

I'll say again a heartfelt thank you to everyone posting about their experiences at AT2. It is something we (the unfortunates unable to attend) really, really appreciate. I am so glad you all had such a wonderful time meeting Amanda and each other and for those who are heading to Avalon this weekend - have a great time and a safe journey.

Here's a little something for taking the time to include those of us at home in your adventures -

Now, let's sort thru some other posts.

Originally posted by ChopinGal View Post
    <SNIP>

If Sam Carter will be spending more time on Atlantis, what would you like to see? What role should Sam play? Commander of the Odyssey? Co-scientist with McKay? Fellow warrior with Teyla on a mission?

What would be your concerns about Sam moving over to Atlantis? Do you think she will fit in with the veteran cast? How will she contribute to the Atlantis arc?

Put your thinking caps on and be imaginative! If you were writing Atlantis and incorporating Sam ... where would you take her?!
    I would LOVE to see Sam on Atlantis HOWEVER I do have a lot of reservations. At the moment I am still tied up with work so I think I will come back later with a response to this.

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
    <SNIP>

Do I think they will correct this in the movies?? Doubtful. I think they will continue to ignore the rich tapestry that has woven this series for so many years. It's like tptb have cut the strings of the past and trying to use new material and technique to finish the quilt. When the finished product is displayed there is this rich beautiful quilt only partial complete with sackcloth stabled on the ends… my own opinion of course. Although to be fair I think s10 has improved some from s9.

EDIT: Okay sackcloth may be a bit harsh... I'm imagining a starched material that doesn't blend well with the rest of the quilt. (so much for a visual reference.. )
    Hey! It's a good visual reference

How about a rich tapestry that has been started and worked on by artisans but completed by apprentices. Yes, the apprentices are talented but they lack the feel, style and nuances that the artisans have.

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
    <snipped for space>

Please also note ChopinGal's lovely poetic introduction at the top right...

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8395/poster23xe0.jpg
    minigeek!!

You not only created a wonderful drawing but you composed a beautiful poster. I love how you set it all out. An excellent job, well done!

and last but not least ...... Oooooober!!!

That is a geat vid. I love the music and the theme you chose and then matched them with great clips. You achieved a balance of the old and new and though I am not enamoured of the new characters I think you picked very good clips for them.

Your vid certainly reflects a lot of what I see as the spirit of the show and yet has an eye catching "action" feel to it as well. I think that this is the style of vid that the contest promoters were after and wish you luck in the competition.

A very impressive visual essay in less than two minutes - Excellent work!
    Last edited by RealmOfX; 21 November 2006, 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    -

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
      why would i faint?

sally

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post

Later on in the session, she talked about the Sam/Jack ship and said that she just wish they'd jump into bed together for one night and get the whole thing out their system and go "Yeah, that was good" then get on with things.

I think. Did I report all that right?
      Hope that answers your question Sal
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by reaganx
        I want a happy ending ship-wise, but I'm also afraid of what TPTB will do with it if they do try to resolve it. As fun as a wedding on the ramp with all the trimmings could be, I don't think I actually want to see it on the show.

I don't want to see TPTB ruin ship.
        you know how i'd like it to be handled?...

sam's already arrived at atlantis, and mckay is already hitting on her and irritating the heck out of her.

after mckay's latest flirt/insult-

~sam suddenly stops and turns back to mckay. she pulls out her dogtags~
        sam: see this mckay? see this ring? i'm married now.

mckay: what? who???

sam: let's just say that if i didn't keep my maiden name, many people would be confused hearing a colonel o'neill being called about.

mckay: you married 'him'?

~sam turns to leave~
        sam: i have higher connections now, mckay, so don't tick me off.

mckay: you'd sick general hubby on me?

sam: i wasn't talking about general o'neill.

~mckay frowns~

~sam smirks and walks off~
        sam: i've gotten to know the president pretty well now...

~~~

sam-mckay banter, and easy-going ship.

hey, a girl can dream, can't she?

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
          Oh Strix, no one has ever called anything about me me "proper" before
          Scari's a very prim and proper English gentlewoman... kinda like.... Mary Poppins???!

*Ducks flying chopsticks and Smarties*

(((Scari)))
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

I'm loving all the reports everyone! Thanks!

I just thought I would share something I found yesterday morning. Here I am doing some last minute study before my exam (my friend lives just across the street from school... I love her room so much I could sit in it forever):

And here is a stupid little doodle I found in my workbook... I must have done it months ago:

Put me in a great mood for the exam.
            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Is this an old quote from AT or is she is using this again? I always though Sam and Jack had more than just a phyiscal attraction.I think AT going on Atlantis is very bad for the Sam/Jack Ship.How can Sam/Jack be together if Sam is going to Atlantis? I always wanted Sam Jack Daniel and Teal'c to leave together and not have one of them go to Atlantis.This is not how SG-1 should end IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                Is this an old quote from AT or is she is using this again? I always though Sam and Jack had more than just a phyiscal attraction.I think AT going on Atlantis is very bad for the Sam/Jack Ship.How can Sam/Jack be together if Sam is going to Atlantis?
                It is actually something she's said before. It's no secret that Amanda's not a shipper (per se!!!). Sam and Jack is only one (potential) aspect of Samantha Carter's character though. And I think your paragraph above is somewhat illustrative of one of the reasons why Amanda really would rather Sam be remembered differently. Sam Carter should be remembered as Sam Carter, period. Not necessarily "Sam (and Jack)" or "Sam married Jack" or "Sam, Jack's wife", etc..... here she's got this fantastic character, and the sad reality is that if Sam and Jack get married in the final episode, she'll be remembered for that more than anything else she's ever been through. As sad as that sounds, it's an unfortunate truth. I got the gist from Amanda that she wasn't against Sam having feelings for Jack at all (she did seem to indicate that she thought the line "not exactly" referred to Sam's heart still being tied up with Jack). But I also got the gist that Amanda would prefer (herself, personally) not to see them end up together due to the possible overwhelming/overshadowing impact that would have on the character she's crafted so articulately and so painstakingly for over a decade. You work that long and that hard to portray a unique and singular character, that to see her become "the girl who married the guy at the end of the series" really puts a harsh damper on all that effort. Viewers, however (and even writers) are fickle that way though. WE would all remember Sam Carter for so much more than that. The more casual rememberance of Sam would not be so thorough or so kind.

Having said that, one never knows where the movies will go. And since it seems that Rick may well be included, Amanda may not get her wish. At the end of the day, she doesn't always get to choose what Sam says or does on screen, even though she has input. So Sam/Jack shipperdom may still get their wishe(s) regardless.

It's all up in the air right now, I think!

I do belive though, that nothing concrete will happen prior to the end of season ten, given that's supposedly something of a cliffhanger anyway, and it certainly does not revolve around Jack's character.

mg

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

i said: why would i faint?

tracyjane said: Later on in the session, she talked about the Sam/Jack ship and said that she just wish they'd jump into bed together for one night and get the whole thing out their system and go "Yeah, that was good" then get on with things.

you (mandy) said: Hope that answers your question Sal

i'm saying: is the 'getting on with things' moving on from an s/j *relationship*? i have a feeling it is, so no fainting or squeeing.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
                    I'm trying to remember some of the other things that Amanda talked about that others might not have already mentioned.

<snippage>

The leadership issue was broached in one question, and I got the impression that Amanda was trying to be very diplomatic about it, but she was disappointed in the way it was handled on screen and off. Mind you, that's me reading between the lines mostly, but I think the others who were there probably got the same impression. It was just the fact that you could tell she was being very diplomatic about it... I can't remember what she said, exactly, but I got the sense that she really didn't agree with how it was done and was disappointed by it.

More as it comes to me.
                    You're remembering well, Strix. She expressed some disappointment at the Shore Leave convention in July too. But she was very much more open this time. (She joked that this would hit the internet... made a funny face and voice and said that she hoped they {the PTB} wouldn't find out about what she said on about it...)

If I remember correctly at Shore Leave she shared how she came back to work and it wasn't until she read the script that she found out that Cam was leading SG-1 and her reaction was basically, hey, what about Sam and all those years spent developing her military career? But, being the type of person she is, she went to work and gave what lines/scenes they did give her, her all.

I believe there was a general explanation by her of how she came to find out and then her own personal feelings on the subject.
                    Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                    My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      little correction

Spoiler:
                      there is some au cameron i believe she said.

but yes, if at says it's a sam episode, i'll believe her and i'm looking forward to it
                      I was already looking forward to that episode, but now I absolutely can't wait!!

Yes, the sharing of personal stuff (Which I've already shared with the thread- I managed to post when I got home on Sunday night), was a point that Mini and I discussed. I told Amanda whilst she was hugging me because I was sure I'd chicken out if I didn't. Afterwards, Mini was just saying "That was the longest hug EVER. I thought 'OMG, Tracy isn't letting go' then realised that it was Amanda that wasn't letting go." Amanda just clung onto me the whole tim and just hugged and kissed me and held my hand and stuff. I was just so overwhelmed by it. All I wanted to do was share with her how she'd helped me. I didn't expect all this stuff in return. She was just lovely and amazing.
                      TJ, hubby said to tell you he hates you. He is very jealous of that hug, but don't worry I've already punched him for you. I was telling him about all of her upcoming projects and saying how I didn't know how she'd manage the gruelling schedule of two SG1 movies, some SGA episodes, and her new series when hubby chimed in, "But [i]she IS Amanda Tapping. She can do anything she sets her mind to.." Is it any wonder why I love this man? I'd discourage his crush on Amanda if it weren't my ticket to an Amanda convention. I can put up with him being head over heels for another woman if she is as amazing as Amanda (and as far away as Canada).
                      Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                      You know, I don't think the ship issue between Sam and Jack will ever be resolved. And I don't mean resolved PROPERLY, or resolved for the good of all... I mean, I don't think it'll be resolved. And, I hate to say it, but I've never been so happy that ship was so ignored at the convention. There were a couple of questions, but for the most part, there were no questions in regards to how it's going to work out between Sam and Jack in the end... And ya know what, I never thought I'd say this, but I'm kinda glad.

ETA: 4300 posts. Whooot.
                      As much a shipper as I am, I'm a Sam fan first. This was her weekend. It didn't need to be about the S/J ship. I'm glad it wasn't, but next weekend will be an entirely different story with RDA beside her. My hope is that he is the one bombarded with ship questions instead of her. She gets enough of that as it is, and I don't think that is far.
                      So Amanda went to this meeting for the new series and it was after a long 14 hour day filming stargate. She was the only woman in the room and the men were waffling and gossiping and getting nothing done. She said she was surprised because she thought it would be women behaving like that. She was tired and stressed, and they were getting no work done, so she kinda slammed her fist on the table and went, "Hey! Guys! I've just worked a 14 hour day, I have a baby I have to put to bed, so pull your act together and tell me the bottom line". And one of the guys she shouted at was her new boss

So when she went home, Amanda was fully expecting a phone call to tell her off for her bad attitude and ask her not to behave like that in future meetings or some such like. She got her phone call, alright. But instead of it being a telling off, she got a phone call telling her she was awesome and that they needed someone to keep the guys in line, so she was offered the exec role.
                      Wow, excellent story! Thanks again TJ! Amanda is going to be a great EP. I hope her new series eventually replaces SG1 in the Book of World Records. Amanda deserves it.

Comment

It is actually something she's said before. It's no secret that Amanda's not a shipper (per se!!!). Sam and Jack is only one (potential) aspect of Samantha Carter's character though. And I think your paragraph above is somewhat illustrative of one of the reasons why Amanda really would rather Sam be remembered differently. Sam Carter should be remembered as Sam Carter, period. Not necessarily "Sam (and Jack)" or "Sam married Jack" or "Sam, Jack's wife", etc..... here she's got this fantastic character, and the sad reality is that if Sam and Jack get married in the final episode, she'll be remembered for that more than anything else she's ever been through. As sad as that sounds, it's an unfortunate truth. I got the gist from Amanda that she wasn't against Sam having feelings for Jack at all (she did seem to indicate that she thought the line "not exactly" referred to Sam's heart still being tied up with Jack). But I also got the gist that Amanda would prefer (herself, personally) not to see them end up together due to the possible overwhelming/overshadowing impact that would have on the character she's crafted so articulately and so painstakingly for over a decade. You work that long and that hard to portray a unique and singular character, that to see her become "the girl who married the guy at the end of the series" really puts a harsh damper on all that effort. Viewers, however (and even writers) are fickle that way though. WE would all remember Sam Carter for so much more than that. The more casual rememberance of Sam would not be so thorough or so kind.

Having said that, one never knows where the movies will go. And since it seems that Rick may well be included, Amanda may not get her wish. At the end of the day, she doesn't always get to choose what Sam says or does on screen, even though she has input. So Sam/Jack shipperdom may still get their wishe(s) regardless.

It's all up in the air right now, I think!

I do belive though, that nothing concrete will happen prior to the end of season ten, given that's supposedly something of a cliffhanger anyway, and it certainly does not revolve around Jack's character.

mg
                        I think it's also a manner of execution...between finesse and overkill.

If in the right hands, it could be written well as simply a small part of her character's life...as in not featured prominently. Subtlety is the key here.

I'd only trust that to Amanda and Rick who proved many times throughout the years that they get it. Reference the force field screen in Divide and Conquer. Words would have ruined that moment I think. They knew better and played it perfectly.

Subtlety and finesse.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Why can't Sam be remembered as everything including being with Jack?Is it that horrible to have Sam and Jack end up together? Why not enjoy all parts of the character and not stress about being Jack's girl? TPTB did push the Sam/Jack Ship for the longest time and it would be strange for them not to end up together.It's a little late to decide now Sam should not end up with Jack.

Comment

If only TPTB resolved the Ship Years ago the Actors would not have to answers questions about the Ship constantly.The Ship could have been in the backround instead of being front and center because it's been dragged out forever.I just do not get what the problem is if Sam/Jack are together.It's entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                              Why can't Sam be remembered as everything including being with Jack?Is it that horrible to have Sam and Jack end up together? Why not enjoy all parts of the character and not stress about being Jack's girl? TPTB did push the Sam/Jack Ship for the longest time and it would be strange for them not to end up together.It's a little late to decide now Sam should not end up with Jack.
                              I think that's the point.

Making it such a big deal is a mistake. Make it a natural progression one way or the other. They already did the story...so show the aftermath in some form or another.

Here she went through some major life decisions and the writers think it's cute to make the conclusion ambiguous. It isn't. It just hurts her more.

Pop a ring on her finger and show it off while she's doing something really Sam like...like planting explosives or leading a mission or fidgeting with some technowhozits. Have someone else refer to it one way or the other.

Hey PTB...keeping it an issue KEEPS IT AN ISSUE. Imagine that.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

mg
                                Alright, I'll be the dumbass who asks. What's this last bit all about? Was there some reason to think that the probable season ending cliffhanger revolves around Jack? Or were you referring to a cliffhanger for Sam Carter personally, ie ship? Or am I just being a total mental midget and spacing on the whole thing?

Regarding the rest of what you said, this is why I wish that the writers had done something with the Sam/Jack ship when RDA left. They really needed to either go through with it or end it. I don't care. But it's not like either shippers or anti-shippers have forgotten about the issue. And, judging from the vehemence with which it's discussed on every single SG forum, nobody is ever going to forget about it. Having the subject be the giant pink elephant (insert PardoxRealities' most outstanding graphic) in the room for the past two years seems to have only exacerbated everyone's patience. Had the writers made an actual decision on the whole thing, ridiculously small and insignificant internet factions be damned, at least both Amanda and Sam Carter would have been able to move past the whole thing. It would be something the character went through, then continued to grow. As it is, Sam's attraction/love for Jack is still an obstacle/issue that the character hasn't dealt with. And it niggles everybody, no matter how they want it to turn out.

Comment

Working...
                                X