Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
    I could see the character of Sam playing the drums. I could see her keeping a good beat and planted behind a huge drum kit --- it'd be a great way to pound out all her frustrations....
    Our drummer is a lot like Sam - he spends most of his time at work solving problems, many of them created by other people. That's EXACTLY what he does - he comes home and bangs on the drum. He's gotten really really good that way. Good call!

Of course, Sam would also be terrific at running the sound board, mixing, producing and of course - looping. An essential role.
    If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
    proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
    Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      I dunno, I thought the Sam/Janet relationship was one of the better defined friendships on the show. Much better than the Jack/Daniel one for example (I have a hard time accepting that they're close friends by the way they bicker so much. Close comrades sure, but not close friends). It obviously didn't get as much screen time as Jack/Daniel, but then Janet wasn't a main character either. And remember this was all done with basically the same people that are still there today.

I guess I get a little miffed at the 'well they're men, wtf do they know?' kinda comments in regards to the some of the characterisations of characters. I know its not intended to be a blanket statement (at least I hope so ;|), but sexism does work both ways. It's my fervant belief that it doesn't matter whether what the gender of the writers are, if they're good at what they do they'll make good characters.
      As far as the Jack/Daniel friendship, I have no problem believing it at all. Hubs and his best friend used to argue alot, but they were as close as brothers and would do anything for each other at the drop of a hat. And maybe that's the key - it's more like a big brother/little brother relationship, with all the dynamics that entails.

And while no, I don't believe that no man can write good women characters, I do believe that it's more difficult for them, just as I believe it's difficult at times for women to write believable men. We tend to write the opposite sex the way we want them to be, not how they really are. To not do this, we have to be willing to listen to other people's input, something the B@B don't seem willing to do.
      sigpic

Comment

TV Guide Channel aired a brief report on S10 last night. I don't know if any of this is unseen footage, but there were a couple of sound bites from Amanda so I recorded it. Michael Shanks and Claudia Black are also featured.

Clip contains S10 spoilers, requires DivX, and is 16 MB.

http://rapidshare.de/files/25842723/...71306.avi.html

Comment

Comment

woah, thanks for that - cool pics

And the third pic with the baby....? And who are all these other people? I only recognise Paul Mullie and Brad Wright.
            I think the lady with Amanda and the baby might be Bonnie Hammer from SciFi.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
              Oh, and Sam's instruments would be an 88 key stage rhodes on the left, electric piano on the right, and right in front of her a souped up vintage synth with lots of effects pedals, leslie boxes, mic with squawk box, oh, and a naquadah-enhanced theremin on the side.
              Perfect!
              I see Cam as more the lead guitar role with no charts as he attempts to play 'by ear'. T on drums, daniel on percussion. They are primarily an instrumental jam-type band because they'd have to kill anyone who heard any of their lyrics.
              ROTFLOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                *snort* At this point, they just need someone who reads fanfiction so they won't repeat fanfic cliches.

So, I'm stocking up on Smirnoff's for tonight rather than rum and cokes. One of my committee members forced one on me at dinner Monday night, and OMG they're good. I intend to be nice and happy before the show starts.
                Add a twist of lime to it, and you'll be set.
                sigpic

Comment

Umm, well they did write an excellent Sam/Janet relationship for 7 years... And I'm not sure why the highly coveted 'Female Writer' will make much difference. Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against writers who are female, but I don't see why it *has* to be a woman that will 'fix' everything. Maybe they just need someone (male or female) who hasn't fallen into the same mindset that the current writers are in.
                  Good point, AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Q O
                    Excellent. Thank you. No green jello in the fridge at the moment.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AmberMoon
                      De-lurking for a mo....check out these pics...a really good picture of AT and the crew...
                      http://sg-atlantis.emedian.net/nuc.html
                      Please. Delurk more often.
                      Last edited by Skydiver; 11 July 2008, 09:01 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                        I could see the character of Sam playing the drums. I could see her keeping a good beat and planted behind a huge drum kit --- it'd be a great way to pound out all her frustrations....
                        Oh, I like this option too... Go, Sam, Go!

I can just see her muttering about the 'cheaters' in Space Race, or Gen. Bauer in Chain Reaction, or her teammates who didn't listen to her in Ascension, or McKay after 48 Hours, (or TPTB while she was away at the beginning of Season 9), etc.

Rock On, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by tara3583
                          LOL thanks for the link Amber, was going to post link to pics but you got here first! I just love the pic of Amanda and Olivia and in her party dress as well, so cute.
                          Amanda if you are reading this, thankyou for giving your fans a little peep at Olivia
                          we don't know who the baby is.

at shore leave, amanda cuddled at least 3 kids during her panels/autos etc, and none of them were her daughter.
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                            And while no, I don't believe that no man can write good women characters, I do believe that it's more difficult for them, just as I believe it's difficult at times for women to write believable men. We tend to write the opposite sex the way we want them to be, not how they really are. To not do this, we have to be willing to listen to other people's input, something the B@B don't seem willing to do.
                            This is very true. I think Torri has spoken about this re. the all-male writers for both SG-1 and SGa: e.g. sometimes you can really hear that a man has written a woman's dialogue in one of these shows, and so not got it right. Or written a female character in her late thirties doing something which is just far too immature (I can think of at least one Sam example).

The tendancy is for men to write women in more cliched terms and vice-versa. When it's a writing team of all one gender, you notice that there are no checks and balances. This has been significant in the Stargate franchise, lately anyway.
                            scarimor

Comment

Too bad some of the good Janet/Sam stuff ended up on the editing room floor. What they showed was good, but that was an underdeveloped dynamic of the show - look at what they left out between those two re the Ascension incident. And no, it won't fix everything and I don't think any of us are saying that (at least that's not what I said) but it would sure help to have a substantive relationship develop between Vala/Sam.

It doesn't have to be a female writer per se, but if they were to listen to CB's and ATs suggestions that would go a long way (that would still qualify as female imput). AT has been helping them out on the female aspect since COTG when she went to them and said, "we don't talk that way" (anyone want to arm-wrestle????) Gack. And I'd like to see a female TPTB or two over there writer or otherwise.
                              I was never a big watcher of "Home Improvement" but I seem to recall seeing an interview w/ Patricia Richardson (?) where she said they had men writers, but she was able to go to them and say "a woman wouldn't say that" or react that way and they actually listened to her suggestions. If only that will happen w/ AT & CB. If CB is considered the greatest thing since sliced bread around that place, maybe the 2 of them teaming up with the writers will help.

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                                As far as the Jack/Daniel friendship, I have no problem believing it at all. Hubs and his best friend used to argue alot, but they were as close as brothers and would do anything for each other at the drop of a hat. And maybe that's the key - it's more like a big brother/little brother relationship, with all the dynamics that entails.

Yep, we all need to work together. Kum bay ah. Er, Comtraya! Listening to imput - spot on!

Seriously, whenever I write men (used to, don't write much any more) I always have a couple of men check it over. Or before I write something I'll sit down and talk to them about it. I realize I have NO clue, but I don't want it to be obvious and thus painful for the audience.
                                If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                                proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                                Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Working...
                                X