Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
    Too bad some of the good Janet/Sam stuff ended up on the editing room floor. What they showed was good, but that was an underdeveloped dynamic of the show - look at what they left out between those two re the Ascension incident. And no, it won't fix everything and I don't think any of us are saying that (at least that's not what I said) but it would sure help to have a substantive relationship develop between Vala/Sam.
    I dunno, I thought the Sam/Janet relationship was one of the better defined friendships on the show. Much better than the Jack/Daniel one for example (I have a hard time accepting that they're close friends by the way they bicker so much. Close comrades sure, but not close friends). It obviously didn't get as much screen time as Jack/Daniel, but then Janet wasn't a main character either. And remember this was all done with basically the same people that are still there today.

I guess I get a little miffed at the 'well they're men, wtf do they know?' kinda comments in regards to the some of the characterisations of characters. I know its not intended to be a blanket statement (at least I hope so ;|), but sexism does work both ways. It's my fervant belief that it doesn't matter whether what the gender of the writers are, if they're good at what they do they'll make good characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

I guess I get a little miffed at the 'well they're men, wtf do they know?' kinda comments in regards to the some of the characterisations of characters. I know its not intended to be a blanket statement (at least I hope so ;|), but sexism does work both ways. It's my fervant belief that it doesn't matter whether what the gender of the writers are, if they're good at what they do they'll make good characters.
      This i understand - and respect. You are right in that it can go both ways. If I had said replace all the men that would be one thing, but that is not my attitude nor my intent, nor what I actually said in my post. I love men, its scientists I have a problem with...oops, sorry, there I go again quoting SG. I love men, I'm married to one. I play with a bunch in a band. But when the show is run and written mostly by men for quite a while, and then the leadership thing comes up, or an ep like Chimera, it just makes one go hmmmm. I loved the Janet/Sam thing and really would have liked more. I agree absolutely on that.

On Edit: I think what most of us are complaining about is the "we know everything, we need no imput" attitude we seem to be getting. So it is somewhat exclusive over there, and from what AT said about how her comments were taken by them and how Season 10 turned out, it looks to be vewy true that they are - like you said - stuck in a mindset fer sher.
      Last edited by WhatFateAlmondRoca; 14 July 2006, 06:57 AM.
      If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
      proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
      Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

De-lurking for a mo....check out these pics...a really good picture of AT and the crew...http://sg-atlantis.emedian.net/nuc.html

Comment

Originally posted by AmberMoon
          De-lurking for a mo....check out these pics...a really good picture of AT and the crew...http://sg-atlantis.emedian.net/nuc.html

Oh my goodness! Look at that precious little girl! How gorgeous is she??
          sigpic

Comment

woah, thanks for that - cool pics

And the third pic with the baby....? And who are all these other people? I only recognise Paul Mullie and Brad Wright.

Comment

And the third pic with the baby....? And who are all these other people? I only recognise Paul Mullie and Brad Wright.
              GREAT pics - thanks for posting.

Speaking of Brad Wright - maybe they could clone him and then he could work both shows! That'd make me happy.
              If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
              proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
              Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                yeah, that will work.

male or female, they need a writer that wont' get all

caught up in how cool HE is

doesn't live his own fantasies through the characters (honestly, sam in chimera....to me she is nothing more than how the boys would WANT a hot chick to act towareds them. Sam in chimera had to be thier ultimate fantasy...they can do whatever they want and she forgives them with a kiss and 'aren't you sweet?'

Is willing to take a step back and take a critical look at their own work

writes the characters AS THEY ARE not how the writer wants them to be.

dont' take the easy way out and warp the characters to fit your plot...take a little time and make the plot fit the characters...and if you can't quite do that, come up with a dang good explanation as to why this character acts this way
                Maybe they don't need new writers half as much as they need beta readers, people who would be willing to state honestly whether or not they think the script is a good one, what the strong points are, what the weak points are, how they think it could be improved and more importantly, people who would be listened to when they said "That isn't something Sam would say", "What has Teal'c been doing while ______ was going on?", "Seven sex jokes from Vala in an episode is at least six too many", "This storyline would work better with Daniel than with Mitchell" or similar.

The writers they have at the moment can produce stellar work, but they can also churn out not so stellar work. They just need somebody to tell them which is which.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Those might be the people from NBC/Universal or the folks that run the SciFi channel.
                  sigpic

Comment

Great pics. The usual suspects I recognize, but the others I don't. Too bad they don't print sub-titles with the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                      But she did say that Sam starts to warm to this aspect of Vala (I paraphrase) and see things from her angle - which will be cool if we see Sam break out a little

I agree. In the best possible scenario, they would both learn something from each other. Sam definitely could learn to not take everything so seriously from Vala. The question is, will the writers take the time to do this? I'm sure they might have Vala's personality rub off a little on Sam and allow her to loosen up a bit and not take everything so seriously. Which will be great for AT in terms of acting and stretching the character of Sam a bit. And obviously there is going to be some humorous interaction of some sort between the two ladies, however minor. But I'm not so sure the writers are going to have Sam's influence rub off on Vala. Which to me would be would be a disservice to both characters. I hope they do, but their priorities seem to be elsewhere right now.

Comment

Yes, I think heeding imput from the actors themselves would go a long way to fixing some of this stuff.
                        very true. the writers certainly provide the words - most of the time - but it's the ACTORS that have brought these characters to life.

the actors 'know' them better thant he writers so it only makes sense to at least listen to the actors' input.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
                          Maybe they don't need new writers half as much as they need beta readers, people who would be willing to state honestly whether or not they think the script is a good one, what the strong points are, what the weak points are, how they think it could be improved and more importantly, people who would be listened to when they said "That isn't something Sam would say", "What has Teal'c been doing while ______ was going on?", "Seven sex jokes from Vala in an episode is at least six too many", "This storyline would work better with Daniel than with Mitchell" or similar.

The writers they have at the moment can produce stellar work, but they can also churn out not so stellar work. They just need somebody to tell them which is which.
                          very good point.
                          but cynical little me has to wonder...if they won't listen to amanda or claudia when they express their concerns, will they listen to a beta?

i certainly dont' expect any of my concerns to be addressed...but when i read interviews and members of tptb dismiss any critics as 'women with issues' i have to wonder just how much they'll listen to anyone outside their little circle

and if they won't listen, then why bother?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
                            Oh my goodness! Look at that precious little girl! How gorgeous is she??
                            She's wearing PINK! (heh)

That little girl is AMAZINGLY cute.

Thanks, AmberMoon.

I had a guess as to who the woman was with AT, but I'll keep it to myself *snicker* In all seriousness, I think that's Bonnie Hammer.
                            -

Comment

I have the same worry and yes, it will get old. I know I keep harping on the same thing but:

FEMALE WRITERS

If they can't get women right how are they going to sufficiently portray a relationship between to of them? I have absolutely no doubt that CB and AT will give it all they've got, but in the end the relationship will go the way TPTB write it.

Oh, and Sam's instruments would be an 88 key stage rhodes on the left, electric piano on the right, and right in front of her a souped up vintage synth with lots of effects pedals, leslie boxes, mic with squawk box, oh, and a naquadah-enhanced theremin on the side.

I see Cam as more the lead guitar role with no charts as he attempts to play 'by ear'. T on drums, daniel on percussion. They are primarily an instrumental jam-type band because they'd have to kill anyone who heard any of their lyrics.
                              LOL! I *lurve* it!

*imagines Cam jamming (or tryin' to) away at the front of the stage {cue air guitar} and Daniel slowing to a stop.... then Teal'c, drumsticks raised in the air, stops mid-beat, and then Sam, furrowed brow and concerned expression slowly lets the synths fade.....*

*And Cam continues to jam.....*

Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                              My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh, just a reminder, all the samandans that were at shore leave and were in the gateworld group pic, head over to fandom and the therad there and let me know if you want to be identified.

i still have more red dots than i do faces

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X