Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsaxlady
    IMO the leadership question would be better saved for Comic Con were there will likely be an SG panel that has Brad and Rob on it and they can be asked the question. No matter how well Amanda or Ben answer the leadership question when it gets asked at a con there is going to be a faction of the fan base that will be upset by their response so I would rather see the writers and/or show runners asked these questions. Because the reality is that the actors job is to do the best job they can with the script they are given. Amanda handled it gracefully in Vancouver and I'm sure she will do so again when asked next.

Personally I'm looking forward to the con this weekend.
    That's how I see it. "Stick it to the Man."

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
      I was splitting my efforts at one point, but when Amanda's lead began to slip I went back to voting for her full time.
      I am also voting but it is like I am the only one well she does still have a lead of 1644 votes so...
      I am alternating my votes between her and Teryl Rothery but when she is under 1600 votes I will give all my votes to her again.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
        I am also voting but it is like I am the only one well she does still have a lead of 1644 votes so...
        I am alternating my votes between her and Teryl Rothery but when she is under 1600 votes I will give all my votes to her again.
        I'm there voting too.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          true, we can hope that they have learned...or at least gotten a clue

you know, not to get too much into personal stuff, but i feel sorry for the writers' wives...do these gentlemen REALLY think so lowly of females???? or is it something unconscious that they just do without realizing what it looks like to all and sundry.

If it's something that they're consciously and deliberately doing...man do i feel sorry for them. and i feel sorrier for thier wives.
          Yes I have been struggling with these thoughts too, but refraining from posting. They may be great husbands and wonderful parents!!

However if I was associated with anyone responsible for portraying anything less than equality of the sexes on such an influential meduim at televsion I would be very disapointed.

To hear the writers and producers and directors oozing over Vala this last year just reminds me of a bunch of schoolboys giggling in the changing room over a copy of playboy.

However it has to be said that females sometimes don't help themselevs. The hero worship lavished on male stars by female fans really just leaves us open to be treated like totty!!! It is a sad fact that some women do just want to look pretty and get things the easy way. We can just do without it being promoted on television as a fun way to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
            Sadly I don't think there is a cat in hells chance Sam will be in command. The fight was lost in season 8 when they failed to potray her fully and clearly in command of the team. The decision had already been made there.

The fact is that SG1 being set in the present time dealing with characters which are believable, has teased out the real sexism in the industry and probably in the States and beyond. Not only do we get the "All American Hero" which is stereotypically a handsome male, but Sam's established smartness and value to the team has to be lessened and also offset by a scantily dressed sex tease. Just so all us women out here fully understand that we could never fulfill a command role in anything so serious - and that we also recognise exactly what men want us to be. There for their pleasure.

What can you do but shake your head and feel sorry for how pathetic TPTB are!!
            The wise woman speaks. We listen.

Great post, Coley.
            Last edited by ChopinGal; 04 July 2006, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Yes I have been struggling with these thoughts too, but refraining from posting. They may be great husbands and wonderful parents!!
              However if I was associated with anyone responsible for portraying anything less than equality of the sexes on such an influential medium as television I would be very disappointed.

To hear the writers and producers and directors oozing over Vala this last year just reminds me of a bunch of schoolboys giggling in the changing room over a copy of playboy.

However it has to be said that females sometimes don't help themselves. The hero worship lavished on male stars by female fans really just leaves us open to be treated like totty!!! It is a sad fact that some women do just want to look pretty and get things the easy way. We can just do without it being promoted on television as a fun way to be.
              Yes, your first point about the boys lusting after Vala really riled me too.

Your second point is valid but has me ROTFLOL ... we do love and admire AT because she's NJAPF, not just another pretty face!

Life being what it is ... the vamps and tramps and whores with a heart of gold will not be going away anytime soon. I'm just hoping that Vala "cleans up well" for S10.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                *sigh* I think I was channeling TPTB this morning

Spoiler:

I have a horrible feeling that Cameron acting the hewo and rescuing Sam will be used as an extraordinary act that gets him promotion.
                Spoiler:
                no, they cant, they wouldnt. ok they would. but seriously thats so not fair. sorry i know its not a long post but i had to just say how i felt. I dont really like the idea of an episode where Mitchell is a hewo and Sam needs saving by him, but if they use this as an excuse its just too much, seriously

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_girl
                  Spoiler:
                  no, they cant, they wouldnt. ok they would. but seriously thats so not fair. sorry i know its not a long post but i had to just say how i felt. I dont really like the idea of an episode where Mitchell is a hewo and Sam needs saving by him, but if they use this as an excuse its just too much, seriously
                  At least then we will have undeniable proof that Mitchell is either still lying in bed in hospital fantasizing about being a hewo or that he is actually Felger's VR avatar.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

However if I was associated with anyone responsible for portraying anything less than equality of the sexes on such an influential meduim at televsion I would be very disapointed.

However it has to be said that females sometimes don't help themselevs. The hero worship lavished on male stars by female fans really just leaves us open to be treated like totty!!! It is a sad fact that some women do just want to look pretty and get things the easy way. We can just do without it being promoted on television as a fun way to be.
                    lol...but so true. I mean TPTB are loving that I think. they love seeing a woman that is a thing they can look at, and has nothing more than 'the body'. Than a woman with brains and leadership potential. That is the reason why they like vala (and CB) she has the perfect body for in their magazin
                    And well sam also is hot... they don't see her like they see vala. they see her as someone who always fixes everything and is nothing more that that. But well to me (and probably to all of you) she is so much more.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                      IMO the leadership question would be better saved for Comic Con were there will likely be an SG panel that has Brad and Rob on it and they can be asked the question. No matter how well Amanda or Ben answer the leadership question when it gets asked at a con there is going to be a faction of the fan base that will be upset by their response so I would rather see the writers and/or show runners asked these questions. Because the reality is that the actors job is to do the best job they can with the script they are given. Amanda handled it gracefully in Vancouver and I'm sure she will do so again when asked next.

Personally I'm looking forward to the con this weekend.
                      For sure Brad and Rob should be asked about the leadership issue and they should know how unhappy many fans are with the direction of S9. It's not just about being an AT fan, it's about being an SG1 fan.

Personally, I'd still like to hear about AT's thought process when dealing with scripts. She's said in interviews and/or commentaries that she thinks about backstory in her own mind that the writers haven't necessarily provided. Ex) she didn't really think Carter would have time to keep up a house and thought she'd live in a sparse apartment, but Carter had a house in Ascension, so she (AT) decided maybe it was Jacob's house. I would guess she'd do similar things re: Cassie & Area 51.

Of course what I'd like to hear is a bit beside the point, since I won't be at any conventions to ask a question. (shrug)

Comment

Spoiler:
                        I would say that Mitchell deserves a demotion far more than he does a promotion and you're right that whining about his team not following him reflects badly on Mitchell - he may end up being the only character ever to merit a negative score on my scale of zero to ten, which was a scale of one to ten before I encountered Mitchell.

The scene could play out a number of ways.

If Landry possesses a shred of common sense or intelligence...

MITCHELL: I don't feel like I can give them orders; Jackson and Teal'c aren't military and Colonel Carter and I are of the same rank and she's been doing this so much longer than I have.
                        LANDRY: *thoughtfully* That's true.
                        MITCHELL: I just don't feel like they see me as a leader or respect my command.
                        LANDRY: I'm glad you told me this. Don't worry, we can have this sorted out in no time. I'm sure that Colonel Carter will be willing to retake command.
                        MITCHELL: Sir?
                        LANDRY: Well, son, if you can't lead SG-1, I need to put somebody who can lead in charge. You did the right thing bringing this to my attention.

If Landry is part of the "Let's Pimp Mitchell" campaign...

MITCHELL: I don't feel like I can give them orders; Jackson and Teal'c aren't military and Colonel Carter and I are of the same rank and she's been doing this so much longer than I have.
                        LANDRY: But you're in charge, you're the leader of SG-1. It doesn't matter if every one of them knows more about the stargate program than both of us put together, you're in command. You've got to show them who's boss. It's time for you to lay down the law and if they give you any problems, send them to me. I'll have them scrubbing toilets for a month.
                        It will probably be somethng along these lines:
                        Spoiler:

LANDRY
                        When you were assigned to the SGC, no one expected to face another dangerous foe so soon. You had a baptism of fire, and you've handled it okay [and other such common metaphors and platitudes]. The team's experienced and knows to follow whoever has command of the mission, whether that's you or Carter. You're doing fine blah blah blah...

And it'll be mildly amusing to see how close any of us get to the real thing
                        Last edited by scarimor; 04 July 2006, 12:09 PM.
                        scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          For sure Brad and Rob should be asked about the leadership issue and they should know how unhappy many fans are with the direction of S9. It's not just about being an AT fan, it's about being an SG1 fan.

Personally, I'd still like to hear about AT's thought process when dealing with scripts. She's said in interviews and/or commentaries that she thinks about backstory in her own mind that the writers haven't necessarily provided. Ex) she didn't really think Carter would have time to keep up a house and thought she'd live in a sparse apartment, but Carter had a house in Ascension, so she (AT) decided maybe it was Jacob's house. I would guess she'd do similar things re: Cassie & Area 51.
                          i agree with you, it is about being an sg1 fan. as well as an at fan . i personally feel like the show has changed a bit of the show. it just doesnt fit with whats come before. they could have saved themselves a lot of this problem by brining mitchell in as a major in my opinion (and it is only my opinion dont hurt me ). as well sam was leading at the end of season 8 what was wrong with that? nothing as far as im concerned.

i think its great that AT thinks about the background story to the character, it shows how much she cares for the character and what a great and professional actress she is. I'm very jealous of those going to Shore Leave

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55

Of course what I'd like to hear is a bit beside the point, since I won't be at any conventions to ask a question. (shrug)
                            Yes, I'd also like to hear Amanda weigh in on how she has to take whatever is about to be dished out for Sam and somehow make peace with it (if it goes south). But I'd like to hear her backstory in the back booth of a pub on a ladies' night out! Coley, you can buy the first round of drinks! Astro, second. I'll pick up the rest of the tab!

Oh, and we can't forget to invite Teryl along. I'd love to hear the backstory she used once they handed her the swan-song script for Heroes.

Sorry, I had to run out of my apartment building in my pj's for a false fire alarm and just feeling a bit snarky.

jckfan, how can we get you to at least one Amanda con?!!

Comment

Amanda's in first place, but she needs lots of votes to secure her lead.

http://www.celeeb.com/amanda-tapping/
                              i am voting as often as i can go AT

i'd love to see replicarter back she was amazing and so much fun. AT did a great job

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                oh i wish replicarter was still around.

she was so great and chillily evil
                                I second that! I'm still hoping, like we've just tossed around here, that she managed to survive the Ancients' beam and is still gonna make a return. AT really nailed that dual role.

And, now ...

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE LADY WHO OUT PACES US ALL ...
                                SKYDIVER HAS TURNED OVER HER 11,100TH POST ... IMPRESSIVE!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...elThinking.jpg

"You gotta be kidding!"

Comment

Working...
                                X