Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    this is something that popped into my head while walking home from work. it's kind of unusual, but...

what is/are your *least* fave sam moment(s)?

this can be a scene where you didn't like what happened to sam. or a scene where you didn't like how sam came off. or how she was written. etc.

my choices are:

s2, 'spirits'. i didn't like how the writers took the focus off sam and gave it to jack (the last part of the ep).

s2, 'a matter of time'. jack kind of scolds her for wanting to watch the black hole.

s3, 'learning curve'. i wish more had been made of sam's relationship with merrin, instead of jack's.

s4, '2010'. i didn't like sam letting joe make her decisions. i know she did it 'her' way at the end, but i wish she would have spoken up in front of everyone.

s5, 'ascension'. i wanted it shown that sam was more ticked at everyone after how they weren't there for her. including her own government.

s5, 'desperate measures'. the emphasis at the end, again, was taken from sam to jack.

s6, 'night walkers'. it needed fallout for sam.

s6, 'abyss'. sam was involved in making the decision for jack to take the symbiote. i wanted to see the fallout from that, at least from sam's own guilt.

s7, 'chimera'. i didn't like sam letting pete get away with his behavior.

s7, 'death knell'. i didn't like seeing sam give up at the end, even though i understood why.

s8, 'affinity'. i didn't like sam saying yes to pete.

going into season 9; there's so much that i don't like that i'll just pick out my biggies.

s9, 'beachhead'. i didn't like how 'uneventful' sam's return was written.

s9, 'the fourth horseman(s)'. the writers rewrote sam's history with orlin.

s9, 'ripple effect'. *almost* rewriting sam's history with martouf.

sally
    I second you on the 'Spirits' vote, Sally. I agree, I wasn't happy with Sam getting command, only to have it be Jack who saves the day in the end. Wasn't that an episode where they wrote most of Jack's part out because RDA couldn't be on set as much as they originally hoped? So they wrote it that he gets shot with an arrow that comes through the gate... so he can't go offworld with them... Carter gets to be in command... but then the episode ends back on the base, with Carter whisked into nothingness along with a bunch of other base personnel... then Jack saves the day.

- I also didn't like the ending of 100 Days. Although I wasn't too aware of the S/J ship furor, I really didn't like seeing the way they filmed Sam turning back to the Gate after Jack asked Laira to come with him. Ugh! The whole Leading Male gets girl, while trusty-always-there-'right-hand-man' girl pines after Lead Male... blech! That scene still makes me shudder and feel sorry for Sam!

- I didn't like the 'I really got to pee' scene with Jack in Ascension. Talk about disrespectful! (to Sam)

-I know a lot of people thought it was funny... but I didn't like the 'pull things out of your butt' line in 48 Hours (?, I think that was the episode)

- Desperate Measures - where it ends with Jack hurt and Sam comforting him by his infirmary bedside!

-getting cold-cocked in Forsaken; having it written that her father called her Sam because he wanted a boy - Samantha is a beautiful name, and I hated having it besmirched with such a childish, school-yard couple of lines in the script!

-having Jack show up and rescue her (and Felger) in Avenger 2.0; that would have played so much better if Carter had gotten them out of it and back to Earth without Jack coming to save the day

-I also agree with the 'giving up' scene in Death Knell. I felt that it should have ended with the SuperSoldier dead from Sam's McGyvered missil - AT did a *superb* job of walking over and sitting on the dirt in exhaustion after the dust first settled. She showed no exhuberance in apparently having won, she showed a completely realistic reaction to the whole experience.

Having the Supersoldier then climb out of the dirt smacked of B-grade movies where the evil monster just keeps coming back no matter what the protagonists do to it.

That said, if the Supersoldier was going to come back, I would have *much* preferred it if Jack had handed the weapon to Sam to fire at the Supersoldier - Sam and her Dad designed the weapon, it made much more sense that she would be more familiar with it and should be the one who took the shots. But then, the Lead Male wouldn't get to be *The Lead Male* in the heroic closing scenes. Grrrrr..

- I was OK with Sam getting/having a boyfriend who didn't die (thought it was about time, actually), but I didn't like seeing it become so much of the show. Especially didn't like the 'morning after' scene where Pete threw his tantrum and Sam acted.. so un-Samlike (pleading with him, and then calling after him later). After his little tantrum in the bedroom, I thought she should have told him to take a hike!

- really wanted to see more of Sam leading in Season 8

- wanted to see Sam have a showdown with Replicarter (after Gemini)

- really didn't want to see Jacob die - and I really hated that they said that Sam basically went into the Air Force to please her father - what a way to trivialize her dreams and aspirations - ugh! ugh! ugh!

Season 9:

- writing Carter out of command was nasty

- writing it so that Carter was off working on a bomb... ugh, how demoralizing is that?

- writing it so that Carter comes back, the bomb doesn't work properly, and Carter really isn't needed to even get it to work or to do anything heroic, except be around

- bringing Orlin back as a kid (ick)

- not writing anything that shows how important or indispensable Carter is to the SGC - or how difficult (near to impossible) to replace

Last edited by astrogeologist; 25 June 2006, 08:17 PM.

Comment

go here to read an amanda interview/article.

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

'Affinity' really bugged the crud out of me. So un-Sam like.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          I've been voting when I've been home
          I've been voting in between chores and reading fanfic

Comment

this is something that popped into my head while walking home from work. it's kind of unusual, but...

this can be a scene where you didn't like what happened to sam. or a scene where you didn't like how sam came off. or how she was written. etc.

my choices are:

s2, 'spirits'. i didn't like how the writers took the focus off sam and gave it to jack (the last part of the ep).

s2, 'a matter of time'. jack kind of scolds her for wanting to watch the black hole.

s3, 'learning curve'. i wish more had been made of sam's relationship with merrin, instead of jack's.

s4, '2010'. i didn't like sam letting joe make her decisions. i know she did it 'her' way at the end, but i wish she would have spoken up in front of everyone.

s5, 'ascension'. i wanted it shown that sam was more ticked at everyone after how they weren't there for her. including her own government.

s5, 'desperate measures'. the emphasis at the end, again, was taken from sam to jack.

s6, 'abyss'. sam was involved in making the decision for jack to take the symbiote. i wanted to see the fallout from that, at least from sam's own guilt.

s7, 'death knell'. i didn't like seeing sam give up at the end, even though i understood why.

s8, 'affinity'. i didn't like sam saying yes to pete.

going into season 9; there's so much that i don't like that i'll just pick out my biggies.

s9, 'beachhead'. i didn't like how 'uneventful' sam's return was written.

s9, 'the fourth horseman(s)'. the writers rewrote sam's history with orlin.

s9, 'ripple effect'. *almost* rewriting sam's history with martouf.

sally
            Sorry, but I think Sam needed to be scolded in this particular instance. Don't get me wrong, I love it when Sam gets all wrapped up in the science. It's what makes Sam...Sam, but there are times when I feel she forgets that she isn't in her science lab working on an experiment. In this case, her scientific curiousity got the better of her for a brief moment and she needed Jack to snap her out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
              Sorry, but I think Sam needed to be scolded in this particular instance. Don't get me wrong, I love it when Sam gets all wrapped up in the science. It's what makes Sam...Sam, but there are times when I feel she forgets that she isn't in her science lab working on an experiment. In this case, her scientific curiousity got the better of her for a brief moment and she needed Jack to snap her out of it.
              i know what you mean, but in that instance, a- it was *the* first time sam had done something like that, and b- it was the way jack acted in that scene, like sam would 'really' not care about the ppl on the other side. BUT, i know his feelings were more tender because he knew the commander of the team. but still... i just didn't like how that scene was written. i'd have preferred that sam say something like, 'yes, colonel, i know what's going to happen to them. i didn't mean it to come off like i didn't care'. just something instead of her acting like 'oops, i forgot ppl were there. thank you for putting me in my place'.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                Over in the shipper thread there's a link to the top ten sam jack moments as they were voted on, but I was looking at them and one of the clips from Heroes just reminded me all over again what a tremendous actor Amanda is. I've watched the scene more than once, but even seeing it again, I just thought... *wow*.

http://www.pink-martini.net/samjack/6.wmv

(It's not even necessarily a shippy clip - depending on how you interpret Sam and Jack's friendship/relationship in canon, anyway)

mg
                I sooo agree with you! Amanda and RDA did a heartbreaking, gentle and touching scene in that story and something else i find my self wanting to do is to hug both Sam and Amanda because i could see and feel the pain from Sam of loosing her best friend and at the same time i could see from Amanda the sadness of not working with TR again, did anyone else get that?
                ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam
                  LOL here's one for you to caption lol

Jack:::Hollow sound Sam, so that means you've got more room in there for tecnobabble!
                  Sam::ir you know how galazed eyed you look when i give you an explination for my gadgits so lets call it a day shall we.
                  Jack:::I'm just saying:::::::::
                  Jack takes on that glazed look as Sam goes into her tecnobabble mode
                  ......TARA......

Comment

i know what you mean, but in that instance, a- it was *the* first time sam had done something like that, and b- it was the way jack acted in that scene, like sam would 'really' not care about the ppl on the other side. BUT, i know his feelings were more tender because he knew the commander of the team. but still... i just didn't like how that scene was written. i'd have preferred that sam say something like, 'yes, colonel, i know what's going to happen to them. i didn't mean it to come off like i didn't care'. just something instead of her acting like 'oops, i forgot ppl were there. thank you for putting me in my place'.
                    Err, that'd be missing the point of the whole thing. Sam's not perfect, not by a long shot. Simple fact was that she was so wrapped up in her amazement at the events taking place that she did forget about the people on the planet. Jack called her on it, and Sam was obviously a bit mortified by that. It's one of her flaws - but thats a good thing (for us ) since flaws make people more interesting.

Comment

my choices are:

sally
                      I agree with you on almost all of your choices Sally. It really "irks" me when I watch Desperate Measures, Ascension and Nightwalkers cos I feel that they could have shown a better ending in those eps considering the emotions that Sam would have been experiencing. I do understand that this being a tv show means that they are on a time schedule but it seems to me that Sam's always left hanging...they never really seem to give her closure to her story arcs.
                      I wish they had delved a little deeper in the eps 100 days and In the Line of Duty....I wanted to see how Sam finally accepts what has happened to her given that was the first human to have survived the implantation and ultimatley death of a Goa'uld symbiote...even if it was a Tok'ra. I mean all the changes that would have happened to her...why not explore that in more depth.
                      I didn't like the way Grace ended...wanted more ship in that!
                      Didn't like the way Metamorphosis ended either...to sudden...one minute she's wet and close to death the next she's dry and happy, standing fit and strong as a Mallee bull.

Enough ranting from me...I love Amanda...I reackon she's brilliant!!
                      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Night all....have fun and see you tomorrow if not sooner!!!

See...Amanda's just sooo darn gorgeous!!!

And so is Sam!!!
                        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Bumpin it up to top of the page...second from the bottom....nooooooo!!!

Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

BUMP...back to the top we go!!!!

Where is everyone?????
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

<snip>

sally
                              Well it's not against AT acting (cause we all know that they are great ) skills but more to how they write sometimes... I mean Sam's Character is great but sometimes there are holes in it that doesn't make sence (well they don't make sence for me... maybe to you guys they do make sence)
                              here goes:

*season1: COTG: at first she is very stoic to the guys and they want not beeing seen as the 'girl' but when they are on Abydos you don't see anything from that any more... it looks like she always was with them, and I really loved to see her more to try to fit and that she tries to convice the guys that she is just one of them

*season 2: prisoners: I really did not understand why she believed Linea... I mean you could see by the other prisoners that they were scared of her and still they did believe her that she did do nothing wrong... And then they let her by the computer for the gate adresses... I mean why don't they take caution... I mean Sam isn't naief so... she would be smart enought to know that that may not be a good idea

*season 2:secrets: As much as I love that episode... I really do not understand it that she goes to Abydos after she has heard that her father is dying... I mean if you heard that I don't think you want to go to abydos for a get togheter with the people there... you are not up to that... If you hear something like that... you only want some rest

*season 2: spirits:and again... Jack solves the problem... and it should have been Sam but well...

*season 3: fair game: Her promotion became no big deal and well that is not nice... I mean she had done a lot for the SGC and now it was interrupted... I loved to see more of that... how they (the team) loved that

*season3: learning curve: I was dissapointed by that episode... I expected more off the interaction between Sam and Merrin

*season 3: jollinar memories/the devil you know: she really had no issues of being there in the pit... how is that possible?? I mean she does have the memories of jolinar how is it possible that that isn't as hard for her... I mean ok it is hard but I had expected some more problems with it... Ok she wants to save her dad but still...

*season 4:watergate: you would expected that she would be sceptic about the fact that was water... I mean after what happened... you would think that she be sceptic about that... but no... they just go in the 'water'

*season4: prodigy: that is so not sam?? I mean what is that? I didn't get that... I mean that isn't the sam we know...

*season 5: ascension:Is a really good episode to see how Sam is beside the base but still... there are some aspects that don't fit.

*season 5: desperate measurehow did she get captured?? I mean really that doesn't make any sence to me... at first she really fights good and suddanly they got her and again Jack to the rescue... I mean I rather saw that she would free herself... I mean that would be normal...

*season7:fallout: why did they need her?? I mean really... they had done everything by themself... why did they even need sam there??

*season7: chimera:what was that? I mean in season 5 you know she doesn't have a life beside the SGC and now she goes out, goes to the movie, dancing,... and pete?? I mean really if someone stalks you, you just dump him no more than that...

*season8: avatar: since when is Dr. Lee the specialist??

*season8:gemini Sam would never believe Replicarter...

and season 9... I will not say cause that is way to bad what the writers had done with sam so...

EDIT: keep on voting: http://www.celeeb.com/amanda-tapping/

Comment

Hey RC....how was your birthday?
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X