No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asda (owned by Walmart) has stocked sushi for years over here in britain. Not a huge range, just a little lunchtime snack pack. Yummy.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Off-topic like whoa, but I also heard that Walmarts and Targets are opening up doctor's offices in their stores...I think I'd be scared to get a check-up there. It is a good place to people-watch though, I'll admit.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
        I saw a news blurb just today about WalMart now offering upscale foods, including, you guessed it, sushi. So sushi might even be coming to a midwest WalMart near you. The reporter who tried it said it was fresh and good. I think I'll reserve judgement.

NC
        yeah. i've tried it a couple of time but....raw fish is bait.

gimme a steak any day of the week.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

You got that right
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Nice breakdown there

My thoughts on it follow the same lines, except for me the issue is that despite her conscious intentions... Sam is drawn to men with a little (or alot) of darkness. Possibly unconsciously trying to "win" them over, which could relate back to her previously aloof relationship with Jacob blah blah.

But Martouf, Narim, Orlin, Barrett... none of them had that edge she seems to find intoxicating... she named it herself in the ep with Jonas Hanson.. "The lunatic fringe"

I think Carter likes men with a dark streak to match her own.

Originally posted by golfbooy
            Ok, so the whole Narim thing got me thinking. And that's never a good thing. So later, when you're all looking for someone to blame for hooking up the jumper cables to my normally sedentary noggin, blame whoever brought up Narim. I'm not responsible.

Anyway, I started thinking about why I never was able to believe that Narim or Martouf were serious, viable romantic interests for Carter. Because I think they were supposed to be, especially Martouf. But for some reason, I was never able to buy into it all. Often times I'd be groaning or laughing out loud instead of finding their advances "sweet" or "charming". And here's why. Aside from both Garwin Sanford and JR Bourne playing their characters as exceptionally passive, I think Martouf and Narim were both too indoctrinated into their respective cultures. Narim bought into the idea of "the Tollan" so completely that he wound up coming across as too naive and homely for Sam. Martouf fell into the same trap. He was a Tok'ra, through and through. And, when it boils down to it, he was a pretty unremarkable Tok'ra at that. Martouf believed that the Tok'ra had all the answers, that Earth in general and Sam in particular were constantly headed for destruction simply because they dared to venture forth and because they dared to risk their lives for others instead of cutting out and running when things got tough. Neither Sam (nor any of SG-1 for that matter) buys into the whole idea of Earth or the SGC so blindly that they stop thinking for themselves. Both Narim and Martouf are patsies for their respective cultures. They're part of the collective, they're upstanding members of society. They're normal, they're commonplace. There's absolutely nothing remarkable about them.

I think that both characters, despite their declarations otherwise, never saw Sam as who she really is. Narim only saw his ideal, the most exotically stunning woman he could imagine. Martouf, I think, only ever saw Jolinar. Sorry, but that "you remind me of my dead wife" vibe is just too much a part of his attraction to Sam. In either case, I don't see Sam as really being attracted to either one of them. Carter has way too much of an edge to her character to be happy with either one of them. I can't believe that the same woman who found Jonas Hanson charming, the same woman who fell hard for Jack O'neill, ever really thought that Narim or Martouf was her kind of guy. I feel like if they ever saw Sam actually riding her bike, they'd both run at breakneck speeds to hurry her off such a dangerous contraption. I feel like the woman who felt so strongly that she couldn't leave Cassandra behind or bucked authority in order to save earth in Serpent's Grasp or risked letting Fifth into her mind in order to facillitate SG-1's escape would scare both Narim and Martouf to death. And I think that that single facet to both their personalities would put Sam off of them so fast it wouldn't even be funny.

Pfft, this could all just be me. I'll cut it off there. My battery is dead again. Back to mindlessly following my peers. Just like Narim and Martouf. Yep, that's what I'll do. Or maybe I'll go check out the Who Should Lead thread. That thing is a champ that won't go down. Everytime I think the bout is over someone comes to scratch. That thread has got legs, I tell you. Legs.
            sigpic

Comment

I've never tried it, but I live in an area where I'd probably have to depend on WalMart for my supply. I'm with you, steak sounds a lot more appetizing. And to put this on topic, isn't steak what Sam ordered at O'Malleys?

NC

Comment

I have more disposable income than AD... I'd have one before him

Also Uber... I actually thought Sam was kinda creeped out by the voice in the house thing... possibly slightly amused.. but a whole lotta disturbed on top.

Originally posted by Lys
                The first ones to get their home equiped would be AD, Strix, Myrth and Tracy Jane.
                I'm afraid the rest of Samandans would only be on waiting list.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                  I have more disposable income than AD... I'd have one before him

Also Uber... I actually thought Sam was kinda creeped out by the voice in the house thing... possibly slightly amused.. but a whole lotta disturbed on top.

I don't know that she projected creeped though.

If she felt it (which she very well might have), she hid it well enough behind her amusement. Her expressions and posture certainly communicated amusement more than anything else.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                    The scary question you have to ask yourself is ... if houses actually did that for us in this day and age, how many SAmandans would have that particular voice in THEIR homes?! LOL!
                    i'd have jack (rda's) voice.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                      I've never tried it, but I live in an area where I'd probably have to depend on WalMart for my supply. I'm with you, steak sounds a lot more appetizing. And to put this on topic, isn't steak what Sam ordered at O'Malleys?

NC
                      yep. nice big, thick, juicy steak

she had hers with fries, the boys had baked potato

there's another comfort food, fries with cream gravy
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                        I thought so too, jckfan55. I like all the scenes with Narim. I didn't expect nor want anything to come of it---I just liked how AT and the actor who played Narim played out their scenes. Very sweet.
                        i liked narim and orlin (as played by sean patrick flannery). seasons ago, they knew how to write sam's admirers without them going wiggy. (i guess in the future, the writers thought stalking was just another way of wooing a mate? )

as much as i didn't mind narim, that front page mini interview with the actor that played him kind of scared me. is this buttering us up for narim's return? (and future sam/narim ship?)

so, this con coming up... amanda's on sunday? who else will be there? is the con three days long?

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

yep. nice big, thick, juicy steak

she had hers with fries, the boys had baked potato

there's another comfort food, fries with cream gravy
                          you're making this person on a low fat, low carb diet sad

at least she had the diet coke
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

one little quibble about that...this is the midwest, so is colorado...sushi ain't easy to come by
                            Ah yes, the land of the red meat ... however, I seem to recall eating Japanese sushi in Des Moines and then enjoying a "pick-out-your-own-steak" indoor barbecue about 45 miles farther east. The best of both worlds!

To get back OT, I loved that scene in O'Malley's with Jack, Danny, and Sam. She looked so hot in the red and black, playing pool (making her own trick shots), and ordering her steak and diet coke. Wasn't that a fun episode!

Also, the episode where she, Daniel and T, end up in Jack's living room drinking beer and then Hammond joining them. Lost City, right? How great it would have been to have had a warm, character-bonding scene like that somewhere in the vast wasteland of S9. Sigh ....

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              ... so, this con coming up... amanda's on sunday? who else will be there? is the con three days long?

sally
                              The Sunday brunch is going to be awesome: Amanda and CJ and JR Bourne and, cripes, I forgot - is it Jonas, Corin Nemec? Ouch, look a few pages back - anyhow, should be a lot of fun. And then Amanda is doing a Q&A later on Sunday.

Did MS and LD have their baby yet? We know that CB had a boy in December. What's the latest on the stork set?

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                Ah yes, the land of the red meat ... however, I seem to recall eating Japanese sushi in Des Moines and then enjoying a "pick-out-your-own-steak" indoor barbecue about 45 miles farther east. The best of both worlds!

To get back OT, I loved that scene in O'Malley's with Jack, Danny, and Sam. She looked so hot in the red and black, playing pool (making her own trick shots), and ordering her steak and diet coke. Wasn't that a fun episode!

Also, the episode where she, Daniel and T, end up in Jack's living room drinking beer and then Hammond joining them. Lost City, right? How great it would have been to have had a warm, character-bonding scene like that somewhere in the vast wasteland of S9. Sigh ....

Geez, yes. Great team moments--we deparately need these kind of moments.

You know, I really wished they had used RDA's very limited appearances in the show in a much different way in season 9. Instead of the scene with Mitchell alone and then later with Daniel alone, I wished we could have had two scenes with the original team together (this would mean bringing Jack back later in the season when Sam was around instead of the beginning). Have a scene where Jack tells Sam, Daniel and Teal'c how he's doing as head of Homeworld Security (so that the audience knows where he is!), and then have Jack talk to his team about how he feels he has to stay in this position, but that he knows SG-1 will do well. He gives his nod to Sam as continued leader of SG-1, and then tells them his opinion of Major Mitchell--that he's a bit of a hothead, but he's a good guy, competent, even if a bit rash. He's enthusiastic and a great pilot. He tells Sam, Daniel and Teal'c that he thinks Mitchell will be a good member of their team, and will be an asset in their fight against the Ori. And then at the end of the scene it is clear that Jack is in regular contact with them.

Dream on. My opinion? The ratings would have been a lot higher in season 9.

Comment

Working...
                                X