Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsaxlady
    The Brunch on Sunday will be Amanda, Cliff Simon & JR Bourne. CJ canceled his appearance this week.

Brunch starts at 7:45 am (I don't call that Brunch I call it breakfast)

Photo ops with Amanda 10:00 - 11:30

1:30 Amanda on stage

2:25 Autographs with Amanda

Amanda is going to be one heck of a busy person on Sunday!!

Have a great time, everyone who is there!!!

Comment

I agree with chocdoc on both accounts there.

She's going to be exhausted by the end of the day and have an absolutely fantastic time, whoever is going.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        <snip>
        oh, that amanda outshines (rda excluded) ALL the guys they've semi shipped her with!!

sally
        I agree absolutely - I also think the situation reflects the challenges that exceptional women have finding a lasting match. It seems like the more accomplished, beautiful, strong, and intelligent a woman is, the harder it is to find a man who is not threatened by that. For me, O'Neill is the ONLY character they've ever had that has a strong enough identity for Sam. People with strong identities (which I think of as people who aren't unhealthily codependent as far as wanting to control or be controlled) often have at least one little idiosyncracy to them that's a bit 'lunatic fringe', its just a matter of what that is and how it manifests itself in the relationship.

Goolf, I don't think I really 'liked' Narim for the reasons you state ("Omac beats me" - ROFLMAO), I do still think the scene was sweet. It says a lot to me about Sam's character for her to experience all of Narim's feelings for her and still not just predictably and boringly fall into the relationship. She obviously needs more and that's a GOOD think for our Sam. Just my .000002
        If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
        proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
        Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

I agree completely that Sam is so strong a woman and so confident in herself that it would be difficult to ship her with anyone that wouldn't get immediately overpowered by her. She's hardly what I would call dominating or threatening, but I think that her ability to be completely sure of herself and happy with who she is could kind of perplex some guys. I think by this point in her life and career, Sam has reached the conclusion that she doesn't need a guy to complete her in some way. She is an individual and more than capable of standing on her own two feet; she is insanely intelligent, happy, and supported by friends. Sam has realized that she doesn't need to be defined by only one relationship and has instead become defined by her own actions and beliefs, a much more powerful statement for such a strong woman.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
            I agree completely that Sam is so strong a woman and so confident in herself that it would be difficult to ship her with anyone that wouldn't get immediately overpowered by her. She's hardly what I would call dominating or threatening, but I think that her ability to be completely sure of herself and happy with who she is could kind of perplex some guys. I think by this point in her life and career, Sam has reached the conclusion that she doesn't need a guy to complete her in some way. She is an individual and more than capable of standing on her own two feet; she is insanely intelligent, happy, and supported by friends. Sam has realized that she doesn't need to be defined by only one relationship and has instead become defined by her own actions and beliefs, a much more powerful statement for such a strong woman.
            Yup, too many people need to be needed to an unhealthy flea-on-a-dog extent to be happy in a relationship. People like that often sit around thinking about their relationships in terms of themselves and their needs. Both Sam and Jack are constatly involved in matters of galactic consequence and have both risked their lives on numerous occasions. I don't see either of them sitting around thinking about if they are needed, or "gee if Sam gives this or that up for me that makes me more important" yadda and vice versa. Besides, they are 'needed' enough with the "fate of the entire galaxy at stake". Sam is not that type and would not go well with someone who is. Furthermore, Jack is aware of the incredible risks associated with Stargate Command affiliation and I don't see his character stopping Sam from doing what she does or being who she is.

I think that's one of the many reasons why I didn't like Pete - I saw him as trying WAAAY to hard. "See you need me to buy your house for you without even asking what you would like." Ick.
            If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
            proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
            Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
              Oh? *raises eyebrow* (regarding flying headfirst over the handlebars) ... I thought that was the RA's patented dismount.
              You're right ... methinks the RA is just trying to cover her tracks and let 1speed "take the fall". Ooh ... bad pun, eh?!

Comment

Hammond: You will go to the con, is that understood!
                Sam: Yes Sir
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I just heard it's 8C in Vancouver that's about 46F
                  Now I'm even more jealous I'm not there
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                    Ok, so the whole Narim thing got me thinking. And that's never a good thing. So later, when you're all looking for someone to blame for hooking up the jumper cables to my normally sedentary noggin, blame whoever brought up Narim. I'm not responsible.

Anyway, I started thinking about why I never was able to believe that Narim or Martouf were serious, viable romantic interests for Carter. Because I think they were supposed to be, especially Martouf. But for some reason, I was never able to buy into it all. ...
                    (I cut a lot of your thoughtful post just to save room) I agree that neither Narim nor Martouf were viable long term romantic interests for Sam. I do think Narim was sweet (although that Trek-y "we have a custom" line before the kiss always makes me cringe/laugh). I personally find G.S. much more attractive than JRB. (to each her own, I guess). What I liked about the Narim/Sam scenes in Enigma was that it was one of the first times we got to see her in personal mode.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                      I saw a news blurb just today about WalMart now offering upscale foods, including, you guessed it, sushi. So sushi might even be coming to a midwest WalMart near you. The reporter who tried it said it was fresh and good. I think I'll reserve judgement.

NC
                      I prefer my food cooked.

Comment

While I did think that Pete and Nerim were sweet in their own ways, neither of them were really viable long-term interests for Sam in my mind. Sam really needs someone unique and special to truly connect with and understand her. Though both of those guys were truly "nice guys", the most important thing is for her to feel unencumbered and free to pursue her own dreams and interests. I think she has come to recognize that these goals have more importance than finding a guy that she can tolerate and live with. She has chosen not to make that the biggest priority in her life, which is admirable in and of itself.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

I'm struck a little dumb (ok, dumber) that so many here liked Narim. For me, he's always going to be remembered as one of the most fantastically emasculated characters I've seen on TV. I have to really, really, really work to contain my laughter all throughout Enigma. Each time Omoc is mentioned or seen, I always get the strongest "shh, Omoc beats me" vibe from Narim. Meh, obviously I'm in the minority here. But when they threw in the whole "my house talks to me in your voice, it's just like you're doing whatever I want, but don't worry, I'm not a wee bit obsessed or anything," bit in Between Two Fires my averse reaction to the character was set in stone.

My negative opinion of Narim aside, I do think the way Sam handles Narim is great for Carter. Well, maybe not so much in Enigma, but certainly in the latter two episodes. In Enigma I can't shake the fact that they reduce her so clearly to the typical female character, there just to be wooed by the guest star of the week. Pretense and Between Two Fires both show her as having such a firm grasp upon the whole situation. She clearly handles Narim in those episodes, never letting his feelings for her drive what she does. And, finally seeing the Tollan get their comeuppence had been five years in the making. That was great.

I just never cared for the way the Garwin Sanford played him. I can't help but see him as either a seedy kidnapper or a South American revolutionary with a bad make-up job and terrible accent.

Golfbooy (who watched MacGyver as a kid)
                          Nope, I'm with you.

I always got an incredibly creepy vibe from Narim-well before the 'I made my house sound just like you' bit. His whole character in Enigma struck me as very immature-from his refusal to stand up to Omoc when he disagreed with him, to his violation of Omoc's rule about sharing advanced technology for no other reason than because he just had to show Sam how he felt. "Falling in love" with Sam when he'd known her no more than a day or two speaks to his emotional immaturity. I don't see that as romantic as much as very sad. Sadder still that they wrote Sam as falling for it.

I like to think that, in "Between Two Fires" had they not been pressed for time, and concerned about the fate of the Earth Sam would have taken the time to explain to Narim that stalkery, obsessive behavior like having his house, which waited on him hand and foot, sound just like her was not the way sane men wooed women.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Narim was a bit creepy, and that Sam thought that him having her voice in his house was creepy. Though she was all smiles and nice about it, it kinda seemed like she was just being polite - kinda like she was with Felger, to some extent.

Narim, I think, was a nice guy. But he was still a bit weird. The same, unfortunately, goes for Martouf. And Joe. And Orlin. All four of them were nice guys, but they were just a tad bit off when it came to their affection for Sam. And, if they had written that guy from Convenant to like her like that, I would've thought the same thing. Great guys, but not enough personality (I think) to keep Sam happy for the long haul.

Spoiler:
                            I'm trying to understand how they could logically write Narim back into the picture next season. And I'm hoping with all of my might that they leave the "feelings" Narim and Sam had for each other in the past.
                            Spoiler:
                            Though I seriously doubt they could do that.

Barrett is the only one I think would've lasted with Sam in the long run, out of all of the guys. Not even McKay would've worked out, as funny as that dynamic can be some times.

Spoiler:
                            And yet again, I've gotta cringe at how they're going to write Barrett and Sam's screen time together. I would give anything if they had Barrett interacting with only Landry and Daniel...
                            Spoiler:
                            Heh heh, because I'm a Barrett/Daniel/Landry fan.

Any goodies from the Vancouver Con so far?

Comment

Ok, so the whole Narim thing got me thinking. And that's never a good thing. So later, when you're all looking for someone to blame for hooking up the jumper cables to my normally sedentary noggin, blame whoever brought up Narim. I'm not responsible.

Anyway, I started thinking about why I never was able to believe that Narim or Martouf were serious, viable romantic interests for Carter. Because I think they were supposed to be, especially Martouf. But for some reason, I was never able to buy into it all. Often times I'd be groaning or laughing out loud instead of finding their advances "sweet" or "charming". And here's why. Aside from both Garwin Sanford and JR Bourne playing their characters as exceptionally passive, I think Martouf and Narim were both too indoctrinated into their respective cultures. Narim bought into the idea of "the Tollan" so completely that he wound up coming across as too naive and homely for Sam. Martouf fell into the same trap. He was a Tok'ra, through and through. And, when it boils down to it, he was a pretty unremarkable Tok'ra at that. Martouf believed that the Tok'ra had all the answers, that Earth in general and Sam in particular were constantly headed for destruction simply because they dared to venture forth and because they dared to risk their lives for others instead of cutting out and running when things got tough. Neither Sam (nor any of SG-1 for that matter) buys into the whole idea of Earth or the SGC so blindly that they stop thinking for themselves. Both Narim and Martouf are patsies for their respective cultures. They're part of the collective, they're upstanding members of society. They're normal, they're commonplace. There's absolutely nothing remarkable about them.

I think that both characters, despite their declarations otherwise, never saw Sam as who she really is. Narim only saw his ideal, the most exotically stunning woman he could imagine. Martouf, I think, only ever saw Jolinar. Sorry, but that "you remind me of my dead wife" vibe is just too much a part of his attraction to Sam. In either case, I don't see Sam as really being attracted to either one of them. Carter has way too much of an edge to her character to be happy with either one of them. I can't believe that the same woman who found Jonas Hanson charming, the same woman who fell hard for Jack O'neill, ever really thought that Narim or Martouf was her kind of guy. I feel like if they ever saw Sam actually riding her bike, they'd both run at breakneck speeds to hurry her off such a dangerous contraption. I feel like the woman who felt so strongly that she couldn't leave Cassandra behind or bucked authority in order to save earth in Serpent's Grasp or risked letting Fifth into her mind in order to facillitate SG-1's escape would scare both Narim and Martouf to death. And I think that that single facet to both their personalities would put Sam off of them so fast it wouldn't even be funny.

Pfft, this could all just be me. I'll cut it off there. My battery is dead again. Back to mindlessly following my peers. Just like Narim and Martouf. Yep, that's what I'll do. Or maybe I'll go check out the Who Should Lead thread. That thing is a champ that won't go down. Everytime I think the bout is over someone comes to scratch. That thread has got legs, I tell you. Legs.
                              It's funny that you bring up Martouf, because in my last post-responding to your post about Narim-I almost brought up Martouf as well. I do see them both as very similar-both rather sad, weak people-who are obsessed with Sam for all the wrong reasons.

And part of my problem with both of them is that they both should have been able to figure that out.

Narim was supposedly a very intelligent man. Once he got back to Tollana he should have gotten some perspective on his sudden burst of 'undying love'. He should have realized the emotional landmines that were a blazing in that situation: He'd almost died, Sam was the first face he'd seen when reviving, he was a stranger on a strange world and she was kind to him, they were threatened with loosing their society and Sam cared that they find the best solution for them. He should have realized that he was mistaking gratitude and relief for love.

And Martouf was a very old Tok'ra-who should have been aware of the issues that come when a symbiote takes a new host. A race of people who stay alive by moving from host to host surely had encountered situations where the host dies and the symbiote moves on.

I can't see Sam ever really involved with either one of them. When she is with someone-I can't see Sam standing for being a 'stand-in'-either for Narim's 'Angel' or Jolinar.

Sam does seem to have a way of attracting men who are very self-centered. I've posted before on how I felt about Pete's basic selfishness. But really, I think Martouf fits into this category as well. As difficult as he was finding Jolinar's death, he really should have known how much more difficult it was for Sam. After all, he's the centuries old Tok'ra who has had hundreds of years experience in sharing another beings emotions. Sam's first introduction to the concept came after being forcibly taken as a host. Martouf really should have stopped to realize how utterly confusing having Jolinar's memories and emotions would be for her. But instead, I see him as taking major advantage of her befuddled emotions-because he missed Jolinar and wanted Sam as a substitute-her own emotional well being never seemed to cross his mind. I think this is the reason why Martouf is really my least favorite of Sam's 'stalker' suitors. (With Orlin being a close-second, but I've babbled on long enough on this topic for now, I think. )

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                                The scary question you have to ask yourself is ... if houses actually did that for us in this day and age, how many SAmandans would have that particular voice in THEIR homes?! LOL!
                                Originally posted by majorsal
                                i'd have jack (rda's) voice.
                                sally
                                I am going to just shock the lot of you, I suspect. My voice wouldn't even be someone from Stargate. Nope. I'd have Anthony Steward Head-preferably singing. That man's voice makes me go SO weak at the knees. In-very-Deed.

Comment

Working...
                                X