Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Historian
    Happy Birthday LadyJeep

And also happy birthday to all the other Samandans whose birthday I didn't mentionned, not coming everyday on the site. I know there were many recently.
    Thank you so much Historian.
    In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
    so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
    Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
    Hic Comitas Regit
    Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
    Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Happy Birthday Lady Jeep
      The party's just getting started, everyone's just waiting for you
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        cam...poor cam fell victim to the A&P factor (alan mccullough and peter deluise who like to write and direct him like a hyper kid) i laughed and giggled a bit...and did enjoy poking out all the plot holes and deus ex machina
        I see Sam giving a lot of sideways glances to her original SG-1 teammates reagrding Mitchell. Isn't it obvious that Mitchell is being written as an SG-1 misfit who goes to "resucue" T&D and ends up having to be rescued himself? Sam, who is so used to managing Jack's sense of humour, now has to try and work around Mitchell's tendency to go off on his own.

In some ways, the writers are purposely NOT making Mitchell into Jack, but it makes the team even less of a team than when genius boy replaced Daniel. As always, Sam's ability to manage the shortcomings of the men around her is a shining example ....

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady

Jack: You actually spar with Carter?
          Teal'c: I find Major Carter to be a most formidable opponent.
          Jack: Don't you worry about injuring her?
          Teal'c: No more than I worry about injuring you, O'Neill.
          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 25 February 2006, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
            Back on topic... I can't wait
            Spoiler:
            for the scene martin wood mentioned and the events leading to it. Carter EVA next to the giant Ori gate in space... that's a screencap waiting to happen!

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Spoiler:
            Hmm, the S9 finale is a cliffhanger right? I wonder if they're going to have Carter in jeopardy for the cliffhanger? Possibly something to do with that very scene? :O
            I know I'm a couple of days behind.....but could it be that's how Sam
            Spoiler:
            makes her first visit to Atlantis? Maybe she gets propelled there through the giant Ori gate.....

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

Laugh, I'm sorry but someone mentioned to me today that Kallesta's expression looked very much like Amanda's in this photo so I couldn't help mysef and made a sig. I thought you guys might appreciate it.
              So precious! Tried to green you, but couldn't. Thanks for sharing this, Kat!

Comment

Omg, as a Sam fan I feel very stupid asking this, but what does "Hic Comitas Regit" mean, and how did it come to be the Samanda motto?

Now that I've asked that question that I should know, I'll talk about last Friday's ep. (Arthur's Mantle) Well I loved Sam in it, of course I usually do

I liked the beginning when she says "Oh, hi" to Cam. And I loved when
                Spoiler:
                she is trying to get the technicians to see why they can't hear the transmission and she's like "notice it..." I felt sorry for her there, but it was funny!
                Oh, the parts with the buttons were funny too!
                Last edited by Forestia; 25 February 2006, 11:33 PM.
                Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
                Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Haha, watched Arthur's Mantle - it was great

Spoiler:
                  The opening scene with the banter between Sam and Cam was great as was the punching each other in the arm part And Dr. Lee was so bringing Sam her 'Spinach' (aka as Blue Jello ).
                  Teal'c with the two P90's was kinda dodgy... I'll let it go if it were the MP7's again, but the P90 is a two handed weapon. Also, why bother with the claymores when they could have simply blew that zombie sodan dude up with a 40mm grenade from their M-203's???

The Sam and Daniel scenes were great as well, especially the grin Sam had when Daniel got shifted to that dimension And Dr. Lee... hahaha. I don't mind that he fills the bumbling, comedic spot. It's kinda similiar to what Zelenka is on Atlantis, and I think it works good
                  Last edited by Agent_Dark; 26 February 2006, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Haha, watched Arthur's Mantle - it was great

Spoiler:
                    The opening scene with the banter between Sam and Cam was great as was the punching each other in the arm part And Dr. Lee was so bringing Sam her 'Spinach' (aka as Blue Jello ).
                    Teal'c with the two P90's was kinda dodgy... I'll let it go if it were the MP7's again, but the P90 is a single handed weapon. Also, why bother with the claymores when they could have simply blew that zombie sodan dude up with a 40mm grenade from their M-203's???

The Sam and Daniel scenes were great as well, especially the grin Sam had when Daniel got shifted to that dimension And Dr. Lee... hahaha. I don't mind that he fills the bumbling, comedic spot. It's kinda similiar to what Zelenka is on Atlantis, and I think it works good
                    I know nothing about the military, because I didn't even think about that
                    Spoiler:
                    about how they could have used 40 mm grenades and the P90 being a single handed weapon.

I don't mind Dr. Lee filling the bumbling comedic spot either. I think he's cute, however I wonder at times how these people manage to get into the Stargate program in the first place
                    Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
                    Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

I guess my point was that it was getting to the stage where we had posts wishing that Mitchell and Vala would fail, wishing that fans would get sick and rebel, wishing that ratings would go down for Mitchell and Vala etc... That is not what a Pro Sam thread is. Like I said, I have no problems with those opinions, it's just that they probably aren't that appropriate to this thread.
                      And like you said Sky - there are other fans of particular characters who like to do exactly that. I'd hate to see this thread follow their example...
                      I don't think anyone who frequents this thread is mean-spirited or rude enough to want to offend any other person who posts on this thread. After a year of hanging out here, I feel pretty confident in saying that. But as majorsal pointed out, the unrest stems from the disrespect many of us feel the character of Sam has been shown this year, and our fear that she will be written into a corner because of TPTB's new shiny toys, BB and CB. How the character of Sam is affected by changes in the show is about as on-topic as discussion can get.

I, for one, hope those fears (which I share) are unfounded. But except for EDM, Ethon and Scourge, S9 hasn't felt like Stargate to me. If I weren't still hopeful, I would have bailed on the show by now, and I wouldn't still be coming here. But my fears and my hopes are in conflict with each other, based on the spoilers, news, etc. of the day. I'm not so much hoping that Mitchell and Vala fail as I'm hoping that TPTB fail with what seems to me to be a plan that threatens to reduce the show to just another T & A, sophomoric piece of fluff.

Sam Carter is a very unique character in science fiction: a strong, intelligent woman who is respected by her peers and can hold her own. She is a role model. Aeryn Sonn was also somewhat like that, only with a harder, sadder edge. But as far as the writers have shown me so far, Vala Mal Doran has had only one unselfish moment.....and that's why I continue to worry about the direction the show is taking. TV has too few female characters who don't have to be saved by a man, who conduct themselves with honor and don't try to use feminine wiles to manipulate men--women who are valued as much for their contributions to the show's situation as they are for their looks.

No one denies that both actresses are incredibly talented. One character just leaves a lot to be desired in the integrity department. So the part of me (and others) that is strongly Pro-Sam just can't help but be skeptical at best about Vala. Her character, as it has been presented to us to date, simply lacks the moral fiber that we admire. No malice. No sniping. Nothing petty. We just can't admire that which we find to be so strongly in contrast to that which we do admire.

I don't want the thread to be an argument over the merits of Sam vs. Vala either. I've just found very little to admire in the character of Vala so far. And since TPTB are choosing to put Vala center stage, my admiration for and support of Sam can't help but encounter some disbelief and righteous indignation. It's as simple as that, and I think that going forward, we're just going to have to agree to disagree from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Carson's girl
                        I know nothing about the military, because I didn't even think about that
                        Spoiler:
                        about how they could have used 40 mm grenades and the P90 being a single handed weapon.
                        lol, that was a typo. I meant the P90 is a two handed weapon, not a single handed weapon...

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                          I don't think anyone who frequents this thread is mean-spirited or rude enough to want to offend any other person who posts on this thread. After a year of hanging out here, I feel pretty confident in saying that. But as majorsal pointed out, the unrest stems from the disrespect many of us feel the character of Sam has been shown this year, and our fear that she will be written into a corner because of TPTB's new shiny toys, BB and CB. How the character of Sam is affected by changes in the show is about as on-topic as discussion can get.

I, for one, hope those fears (which I share) are unfounded. But except for EDM, Ethon and Scourge, S9 hasn't felt like Stargate to me. If I weren't still hopeful, I would have bailed on the show by now, and I wouldn't still be coming here. But my fears and my hopes are in conflict with each other, based on the spoilers, news, etc. of the day. I'm not so much hoping that Mitchell and Vala fail as I'm hoping that TPTB fail with what seems to me to be a plan that threatens to reduce the show to just another T & A, sophomoric piece of fluff.

Sam Carter is a very unique character in science fiction: a strong, intelligent woman who is respected by her peers and can hold her own. She is a role model. Aeryn Sonn was also somewhat like that, only with a harder, sadder edge. But as far as the writers have shown me so far, Vala Mal Doran has had only one unselfish moment.....and that's why I continue to worry about the direction the show is taking. TV has too few female characters who don't have to be saved by a man, who conduct themselves with honor and don't try to use feminine wiles to manipulate men--women who are valued as much for their contributions to the show's situation as they are for their looks.

No one denies that both actresses are incredibly talented. One character just leaves a lot to be desired in the integrity department. So the part of me (and others) that is strongly Pro-Sam just can't help but be skeptical at best about Vala. Her character, as it has been presented to us to date, simply lacks the moral fiber that we admire. No malice. No sniping. Nothing petty. We just can't admire that which we find to be so strongly in contrast to that which we do admire.

I don't want the thread to be an argument over the merits of Sam vs. Vala either. I've just found very little to admire in the character of Vala so far. And since TPTB are choosing to put Vala center stage, my admiration for and support of Sam can't help but encounter some disbelief and righteous indignation. It's as simple as that, and I think that going forward, we're just going to have to agree to disagree from time to time.
                          Oh no, I totally understand. My point is that this isn't an Anti-Vala thread I personally don't mind Vala at all (I think Sam and Vala would make for some great interaction in s10), and I don't even really have that much of a problem with Mitchell either. So to continually read all the negative posts about them - to be honest turns me away from the thread. And not to sound egotistical or anything, but if its turning me away from the thread then it'll be turning other people away as well. I think there are other threads here on this forum that are better suited for some of the discussion that was taking place here. I also understand that the reverse is true (ie if we were continually talking up Vala and Cam), and people would have the same reaction as I'm having now, however from my perspective it seemed that nearly all the discussion was about how bad Mitchell and Vala and S9 in general are.
                          I guess what I was trying to say is maybe we should talk more about Sam herself - rather than the alleged (and I say that because I dont agree. It's a matter of opinion after all ) negative impact Mitchell and Vala are having on Sam.

Comment

Well we have just under four weeks left until the Vancouver Creation Con. I know there are several of us going to the con and so I thought you all might wish to post any questions you may have for Amanda up on here so that we can start a list. Hopefully we'll have a chance to ask at least a few of them during Amanda's Q&A or the Sunday breakfast.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Carson's girl
                              Omg, as a Sam fan I feel very stupid asking this, but what does "Hic Comitas Regit" mean, and how did it come to be the Samanda motto?
                              Sorry not to reply to you sooner. I've been catching up on posts tonight.

Hic Comitas Regit, loosely translated, is Latin for "Kindness Reigns Here."

It was chosen as Samanda's motto because the discussions here, while diverse, are almost always kind. I'm not sure exactly when it was chosen as our motto, but I believe it was shortly after I joined Gateworld last March. I was immediately drawn to this thread because I think Sam is great, because of the kindness of the other thread members, and because some of the best thought out posts on Gateworld seem to end up here!

Hope that helps!

And by the way:

Happy Birthday, Lady Jeep!
                              (Sorry I was out of town all day and was not around to help you celebrate!)

Comment

Oh no, I totally understand. My point is that this isn't an Anti-Vala thread I personally don't mind Vala at all (I think Sam and Vala would make for some great interaction in s10), and I don't even really have that much of a problem with Mitchell either. So to continually read all the negative posts about them - to be honest turns me away from the thread. And not to sound egotistical or anything, but if its turning me away from the thread then it'll be turning other people away as well. I think there are other threads here on this forum that are better suited for some of the discussion that was taking place here. I also understand that the reverse is true (ie if we were continually talking up Vala and Cam), and people would have the same reaction as I'm having now, however from my perspective it seemed that nearly all the discussion was about how bad Mitchell and Vala and S9 in general are.

I guess what I was trying to say is maybe we should talk more about Sam herself - rather than the alleged (and I say that because I dont agree. It's a matter of opinion after all ) negative impact Mitchell and Vala are having on Sam.
                                And I understand what you're saying too. However, with the current uncertainty over developments on the show, I don't quite see how we can avoid making those comparisons. As worried as many of us are about Sam's future, it's hard to concentrate solely on the positive. It can be hard to contain our fears over Sam's/AT's future on the show at times.

I just think this is a point on which we are all going to disagree, probably for some time to come.

And with that, I bid you all a good night. It's almost 5am in the U. S. Central Time Zone.....and I think some people in this household will expect me to get up by noon or so......

Back tomorrow, I hope!

Comment

Working...
                                X