No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geez, go away for one day and all hezmana breaks loose over my gal Vala. Don't worry, I'm not upset as I only saw Strix's explaination of why it pays to be careful of how you discuss Vala in regards to Sam on this thread. Thanks STRIX for your kind and wise words.

Originally Posted by minigeek
    I think once they bring her back, they're going to have to tone her down a bit - I know that'll make me unpopular with Vala fans, but I think it's just the truth. I also know not everyone agrees with me, but Vala in early season nine was a little too over the top, and yes, if she stays that way, she'll end up dominating scenes in a way that won't necessarily be positive. OTOH, I think the writers are aware of that, and the actors are too. As a guest star, she could be a little burlesque, but as a regular, she'll have to find her niche without upstaging the others in every scene. I think she can do that. I choose to hope it'll work out that way. If it doesn't, then I think the integrity (and the plausibility) of the show as a whole will go down. She can't play a flouncy intergalactic sex-kitten forever, and she does have a deeper story than that, so unless the writers forgo that story entirely in favor of kitsch, I think we simply have to see a more balanced version of Vala begin to emerge as season ten progresses.
    miniGeek baby, you didn't piss me of...as I am one of those Vala fans who really does hope and wish with all her heart that they will tone Vala down a bit, especially the sexual overtones. I don't want her to loose her "kid who says what the others are thinking" quality though. That's the part I love most about her. HOW Does this relate to Sam? Maybe by being around someone else who isn't afraid to speak her mind, Sam will be come more comfortable with doing it as well.

You know it's not the writers fault totally that Vala was too over the top, it's the director's job to regin in ott actors. If the writers wrote her to be that ott, then yeah, it's their fault, but generally speaking it's ALWAYS the director's job to regin in ott actors, period. Actors can't always tell when they're being too ott, that's why directors are there.

*crawls back to her corner...covered in green and blue jello
    sigpic
    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
      Hmmmm. Because insinuating that Vala is a "hooker" as you did on the previous page is definitely being nice and gentle, Sally.
      i did?

well, i don't like the way she's written. if i said i thought she was written as a hooker, then... i meant it.

but i guess i can work on using more sweety and loving words to reflect what i think of the character. how about that?

I come here to chat about Sam etc, not to hear the new characters being insulted morning, noon and night. I've not been posting much here recently cos there's nothing to respond to.
      this sounds awfully like the stuff that was said on the shipper thread, just before it was split in two with the happy/fluffy ppl going on to make their own 'positive only' thread. and you know what's ironic about that? the last time the shipper thread had probs like this, it was because it was too *fluffy* and ppl that wanted to discuss ship had to make their own thread for it. crazy, eh?

I'm not Mitchell's biggest fan either, but we're stuck with him. But I quite like Vala, she adds a totally new perspective to the show, and I thought she worked well in the first five episodes. It injected some humour in.
      then discuss her (with sam) if you want. no one is stopping you. seriously.

But as you say, this isn't the Vala and Mitchell thread, it's the Sam's a Great Character Thread. However, the way things are going, it feels like it's talk about SAM that's seriously off topic.
      i don't really know what you mean by that.

Anyway, being so far behind you guys in terms of episodes means I have absolutely nothing to add. I watched Grace Under Pressure last night and really wanted to get excited and spout babble, but it's been done. Oh well.
      still talk about it. sometimes the brits see eps before the US peeps, and sometimes it's the opposite, but it's still fun to read the opinions of the ppl that are seeing it for the first time. share.

What happened to this great plan for in depth analysis of old episodes, by the way?
      well, for me, i've talked about the older eps a lot (a LOT), but that doesn't mean that you can't do it. i'm sure there's ppl here that would love to discuss it with you.

i know you're irritated with me, tracy, because i was pushing at taking away the only thing you felt you could contribute to this thread (chatting). but i never said that off topic should be abolished, i only commented that when it's not controlled, it spirals out of control totally. (i constantly have to police myself on talking too much ship). i've been feeling rather negative lately concerning sam (and ship), so it seems to permeate a lot of my posts. i feel very little hope in both areas. but, i think talking *some* negative, just like talking some off topic, shouldn't destroy a thread. it's all in the amount of said topic and the delivery. so i guess calling vala a hooker wasn't a good idea. so i won't do it again.

for the record, i will always have a grudge against vala and mitchell, as long as they have a negative effect on my favorite character. if the time ever comes that sam *isn't* pushed aside for them... then it will be wonderful.

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Here's another brilliant story by Annerb:
        Broken Words
        http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2816601/1/

Shippers, I think, will love it. It's haunting but very beautiful.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
          I'm not saying that we can't discuss our opinions, and I realise that whatever is said will be offensive to some. However, there are limits, and claiming you are being nice and gentle whilst making comments like that (and that was an extreme comment, there) is obviously not nice and gentle, in my opinion.

I'm gonna be totally honest with you now. This thread has turned into a whinge fest, and I know this post isn't really helping matters. We're not talking about Sam in the slightest and it's really frustrating. By bashing other characters, and not just voicing opinions, I really mean bashing, you are alienating regular and new members. It's a really sad turn of events for a thread that used to be full of insight and depth.
          tracy, why don't you give me a call via email. ( [email protected] ). i have some things i'd like to discuss with you privately.

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            i know you're irritated with me, tracy, because i was pushing at taking away the only thing you felt you could contribute to this thread (chatting).
            Two things about this, which I would deal with via PM, but I thought I'd share this with everyone, just to clear it up. The first is that the only thing I'm irritated about specific to you is the use of "hooker". I felt that it was over the top and abusive. It's a word that I really don't like. Even on Staks, where the discussion is basically about characters who behave like "hookers" I refuse to let people use such terms. I really, really have a thing about that. To me it's character bashing and really inappropriate.

I'm not annoyed at you for having a rant about OTedness at all. In fact, I had forgotten whose idea it was, to be fair. The main reason I didn't like the off topic idea is because I really like finding out interesting titbits about fellow Samandans etc, you know?

And I don't feel the only thing I can add to the thread is chatting, it's just I don't feel (given the fact that I haven't seen an awful lot of season nine apart from the Vala heavy episodes) that there is a lot I can contribute to the discussion of current episodes. I love chatting about Sam and that's why I'm here. In fact it almost seems like you're suggesting that chatting is all I can add, which is...well, very hurtful. I guess I haven't done much to disprove this theory, and given the current situation, I doubt I'll be hanging around much longer to disprove it in the future.
            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

i'm just kinda spoked by vala-gate that we had for the first 5.5 episodes of this season. yes, i know that sam wasn't even there but, well if you weren't a daniel fan or vala fan or pair fan, there really wasn't much left in the show for you to watch. cameron and teal'c were mostly forgotten in deference to vala and daniel
              you want to know what's ironic? it was *mitchell* that kept my interest in those first few sam-less eps! i actually liked him... well, until 'the ties that bind', when i started seeing onequipmitchell coming to light. but those couple of eps... i concentrated on mitchell to get me through the other stuff that i didn't like. go figure!

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

bump

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                  LOL! Um... no. But I do like Sunkrux, AD, dancer, Ooooober and the other Vala fans who like Sam also, or are Sam fans who are at least willing to give Vala a chance. And I also like Coley, Sal, Mandy and the other people who have strong anti-Vala opinions. I love this thread, and the people on it.
                  i am currently talking to myrth about some of this stuff. she said something to me about me not liking vala (and mitchell), and i said... that i'm more scared of them than not liking them. in fact, i'm scared sh*tless about them. they *so* impact on sam that it's frightening. it doesn't *have* to be this way, but the writers have done this.

before season 9, sam still had sg1 to command. she was still THE leading lady. season 9 brought in mitchell, who was given her command, and vala, who was given her x-host storyline possibilities and female lead statis.

so it's not that i *hate* these characters, it's that they have been given some of sam's stuff. while she's still on the show!

i don't want to feel this way about mitchell or vala. i sooooo don't. if one person can guarantee my worst case scenarios not coming true, speak now, or forever... please

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

For the record I wasn't saying I don't like Mitchell & Vala

And I stand by my slight giddyness looking forward to the possible unexpected results of Sam & Vala's onscreen dynamic. I suspect it's going to be great... quite unexpectedly.

Originally posted by majorsal
                    i am currently talking to myrth about some of this stuff. she said something to me about me not liking vala (and mitchell), and i said... that i'm more scared of them than not liking them. in fact, i'm scared sh*tless about them. they *so* impact on sam that it's frightening. it doesn't *have* to be this way, but the writers have done this.

before season 9, sam still had sg1 to command. she was still THE leading lady. season 9 brought in mitchell, who was given her command, and vala, who was given her x-host storyline possibilities and female lead statis.

so it's not that i *hate* these characters, it's that they have been given some of sam's stuff. while she's still on the show!

i don't want to feel this way about mitchell or vala. i sooooo don't. if one person can guarantee my worst case scenarios not coming true, speak now, or forever... please

sally
                    sigpic

Comment

Arthur's Mantle - all in all, I enjoyed it.
                      Spoiler:
                      I thought there was too much of Sam standing around again, but at least they let her have some funny moments. The scenes where she and Cam and then she and Daniel push each other to see if they're solid with respect to each other made me laugh. It didn't even feel too 3 stoogy. Watching her try to help the gate technicians figure out the problem was great. And Bill Lee is turning into a more of a comic foil every episode. "miniaturization" I even liked Mitchell's recognition of the similarity of their situation to Ghost. "General, we need a Whoopi." And there was a scene when she and Daniel looked at each other and grinned that reminded me of the scene when Ryac announced he was getting married at the SGC. To me, the humor felt right in this one, not the frat boy or burlesque variety that we've seen in some episodes this year.

NC

Comment

Slight change of topic.

Sam in tonight's episode, LOL.

Spoiler:
                        I thought she had some nice/funny/cute scenes with Daniel and Mitchell. And the one in the gateroom, when Chevron Guy and the other one tried to figure out what went wrong -- priceless! I was ROFL.

On edit: Oops, NC beat me to it. Totally agree, NC, I liked the same scenes.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

yeah, storywise, the plot was full of holes and too much 'convenience' to solve problems

but the character interactions were good. sam really had some moments to shine

cam...poor cam fell victim to the A&P factor (alan mccullough and peter deluise who like to write and direct him like a hyper kid)

i laughed and giggled a bit...and did enjoy poking out all the plot holes and deus ex machina

i think this may be a trend in the coming episodes. brain not needed to watch the show
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

i think this may be a trend in the coming episodes. brain not needed to watch the show
                            Of course a brain's not needed. The writer's just have Cam explain it to us again and reintroduce past episodes without having to show clips because that would involve someone who they no longer remember being on the show. That's the one thing that I cannot stand this season - being treated as if I don't know anything or would be able to comprehend a plotline.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                              Arthur's Mantle - all in all, I enjoyed it.
                              Spoiler:
                              I thought there was too much of Sam standing around again, but at least they let her have some funny moments. The scenes where she and Cam and then she and Daniel push each other to see if they're solid with respect to each other made me laugh. It didn't even feel too 3 stoogy. Watching her try to help the gate technicians figure out the problem was great. And Bill Lee is turning into a more of a comic foil every episode. "miniaturization" I even liked Mitchell's recognition of the similarity of their situation to Ghost. "General, we need a Whoopi." And there was a scene when she and Daniel looked at each other and grinned that reminded me of the scene when Ryac announced he was getting married at the SGC. To me, the humor felt right in this one, not the frat boy or burlesque variety that we've seen in some episodes this year.

NC
                              Spoiler:
                              Whoopie? Is THAT what he was referring to? God, I heard the Ghost refrence and still didn't get it. It makes so much more sense now! All I could think of was the old Newlywed game where sex was called making whoopie and I...well I was confused. I really didn't want a Cam/Landry ship, you know?
                              Thanks for clearing that up!

Comment

Wow, I borrowed a page from Sky's playbook and imbibed a stout rum and coke before watching tonight's episode with my buds. Gotta say, I enjoyed the show a lot, so either the ep was good, or the booze was (yeah, it doesn't take a lot to make me happy). Either way, I liked Mitchell; loved the Sam/Daniel moments; laughed a couple of times; didn't have the urge to rip the writer(s) or director(s); and I'll probably sleep pretty well tonight. So... not an entirely wasted evening.

My LJ

Comment

Working...
                                X