No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think sam uses fear, or has learned how to use fear.

on the battle field, she uses it as motivation and a source of adrenaline.

it's when she's alone that we see it effect her the most. such as death knell. Well then, she had a mission. keep the power source away from the kull warrior until rescue came.And she never doubted that rescue would come. And i think that's what motivated her to keep moving - even through injuries. she had to buy time until help came.

In DM, however, we see her reacting alone. Sure, she knew the guys would WANT to find her. But she logically also had to know that they'd never knkow that she was gone or be able to find her, so she wasn't surviving waiting for rescue, she was 'i'm gonna get my own ass out of this fix' and was operating on her own.

Towards the end, she was probably kicking herself for not shooting conrad when she had the chance. She was probably angry at herself for being a 'softie' and listening to him, which could have led to her death.

She probably had the stunning revelation that jack's 'shoot first, talk later' isn't all bad
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I think that DM might have been the only time we have seen her truely desparate. As you said, she didn't even know if they initially knew she was gone, or have a clue as to where she was. At the end there she was facing her possible death with no hope of rescue, as said a few posts/pages ago, you could really hear the genuine relief when Jack burst in.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MerryK View Post
        Great answers, everybody! Definitely not a girl to take things lying down...I had in mind something a little different, so as a follow-up, how do you think Sam would react if she couldn't do anything—if she was trapped or imprisoned and about to die, or her team was about to die and she was incapacitated, etc? Especially if she wasn't in charge (like Trio), and even more if she was alone? Have we ever seen Sam like that? Maybe COT, but even then she's somewhat in charge...has she ever been alone and helpless?
        Not sure if you meant during active duty, but the first ep that came to mind when you asked if Sam has ever been alone and helpless was Death Knell. After the Alpha Site was compromised and destroyed, she was alone, hurt and struggling to survive here from Anubis' drone basically. Even though you could detect fear in her during these moments as she took cover numerous times in the undergrowth, she still had that inner strength and determination to not give up. At her weakest moment, she fell back on what she knew and that was science. Even though it still wasnt enough, Sam never gave in till it looked like she had done all that she possibly could.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky View Post
          I've never seen her in person, but I agree that it doesn't look like other pictures of her. But when she saw the drawing based on this picture (I apologize for not remembering the artist's name) didn't AT herself say that it looked like her?

Bucky
          Originally posted by Mousie View Post
          If it was Antoa's pic it was very good. In RL her face is so vibrant.

It's annoying that they all get 'shopped to look younger, it makes all the photo's end up looking fake. You are right, she has such a lovely face naturally, I think its a shame they destroy it (for want of a better word) by altering it.

Sorry but that pic really just makes her look slightly wrong.
          My drawing was actually from one of the promo pics from Ark of Truth, though the pose is very similar.

And I agree. She does not need to be photo shopped. I have many 'raw' promo pics that I got here on GW and there is absolutely no need for photoshop *sigh*

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
          Pic kinda reminds me of a dead person in a coffin at a wake. Sorry! But let me explain! The people in the coffin are usually 'touched' up to make them appear more 'alive' to the mourners coming to pay their last respects. Sam here looks like she was 'touched' up as well, but to make her look younger (I guess) and more vibrant. I think she looks wonderful just the way she is and leave the photoshopping to other matters. Amanda is a natural beauty and anything that age has dealt her just makes her that much more natural and beautiful in my eyes.
          I agree! My first thought was that she looked unhealthy. They took all the color out of her cheeks and lips.

Seriously, where do they find the people that do these touch-ups? I could do a way better job and I am fully self-taught on photo shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Bekah See View Post
            Probably depends on the type of fear.

In Death Knell,
            Spoiler:
            when the super soldier comes up out of the dirt, she does freeze, though i don't know if it's in fear or because she just doesn't know what else to do.
            I always interpreted that as she'd tried everything & the dang thing was still alive. I think she might have tried taking off running in the next split second but then the guys arrived & started shooting. She did take off for cover then & had the module handy for O'Neill when he showed up with the gun.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            interesting question. i think it would really depend on the situation.

i could see sam 'losing it' if something happened to cassie. and i mean killing someone out of anger. (did a story on this once, in my head)

sally
            I could see that too. Anyone who hurt Cassie, she'd make pay. Kind of like Janet in Rite of Passage. (great moment, btw--that and her "I don't give a damn! You don't belong in that man's body and I intend to take it back!" in Lifeboat. Yay Janet!)

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            i *loved* that scene when sam's about to get injected and fights her butt off! and i think she was just about to be in a full-blown panic when jack came in when he did. you could hear it in her voice when she thanked him.

one thing, though, is i'd have liked to have seen sam still shaky after the experience. and i'd have kept the whump worry focused on *sam* instead of it shifting to jack (after he got shot). love my jack, but sam's *the woman*.

sally
            I could see her being very calm in the crisis as she was, but then sort of having a delayed shock thing going. I think Sky did a story about that once?

If it was Antoa's pic it was very good. In RL her face is so vibrant.

It's annoying that they all get 'shopped to look younger, it makes all the photo's end up looking fake. You are right, she has such a lovely face naturally, I think its a shame they destroy it (for want of a better word) by altering it.

Sorry but that pic really just makes her look slightly wrong.
            It's like these media types are so in love with their technology they don't know when to quit. I was watching the LitS commentary & AT was saying how online people commented that her makeup looked too good when Sam was dying. She said they really didn't use much makeup & A McCullough said it was her natural beauty coming through. AT laughed it off, but I think he was right.

Comment

Sorry, but Sam was in charge in Trio... Did they all come up with different ideas on how to get out... yes, but Jack did the same thing when he was in charge of Sg-1. He used to listened to his team all the time and get suggestions on how to get out. That to me is a good sign of leadership. Not one that barks orders not listening to anyone... in RL military that gets people killed.

No I don't think we have ever seen Sam alone and helpless. We have seen her alone a lot of times but I don't remember a time when she was helpless. It doesn't seem to fit the character, even if she is dying. In Trio
              Spoiler:
              she told McKay to leave her knowing she would die. The same with Cam in LitS She didn't seem helpless then. She was medically unable to help herself, but she was still brave enough to tell them to leave her behind to save themselves or the technology.

EDIT: Thanks for the articles Tsax!!! At least they are still mentioning her, that's always a good sign.
              Spoiler:
              I hope we do see her in the 100 episode. That will be the last episode of the season so I wonder if it will be a comedy or a serious 100th episode.
              Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 02 July 2008, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
                From newest issue of TV Guide - under tag for size

Thanks for that!!

And seems I'm the only one who likes the pic lol
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                  Sorry, but Sam was in charge in Trio... Did they all come up with different ideas on how to get out... yes, but Jack did the same thing when he was in charge of Sg-1. He used to listened to his team all the time and get suggestions on how to get out. That to me is a good sign of leadership. Not one that barks orders not listening to anyone... in RL military that gets people killed.

No I don't think we have ever seen Sam alone and helpless. We have seen her alone a lot of times but I don't remember a time when she was helpless. It doesn't seem to fit the character, even if she is dying. In Trio
                  Spoiler:
                  she told McKay to leave her knowing she would die. The same with Cam in LitS She didn't seem helpless then. She was medically unable to help herself, but she was still brave enough to tell them to leave her behind to save themselves or the technology.
                  She's someone who can weigh the options and keep focused on the mission. In LitS she told him "you cannot sacrifice the device for me." One of the things I wish they had not cut for time was
                  Spoiler:
                  a scene where apparently she had Cam show her her wound with a mirror (or something reflective). It would have added weight to her statement that she probably wasn't going to make it. She *knew* just how badly she was injured.
                  I would have liked to see more blood too, to indicate the severity of her injury. (terrible aren't I? ) But of course, it's supposed to be kind of a family show.
                  I also loved her calm in Scourge when she realizes they're going to blast the planet with nerve gas and explains it to the group. She was also at her best, I thought, when she was getting the radio working & then walks out calmly to face the bugs with the rest of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                    Thanks for that!!

And seems I'm the only one who likes the pic lol
                    No you're not the only one lol. The pose she looks like she is in charge and I agree with someone else I think it's a painting. Most painted portraits look like that.

Comment

Thanks for the pic but is it just me or does she look a bit odd, has the pic been touched up too much?
                      Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                      Yeap, it looks photoshoped (badly I might add)
                      Probably the same people who did the horrendous S5 Atlantis promo pics. *shudders*
                      sigpic

Comment

No you're not the only one lol. The pose she looks like she is in charge and I agree with someone else I think it's a painting. Most painted portraits look like that.
                        It would improve immensely if they had just left come color in her face! I would like to see the original, untouched version of this photo.

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
                          It would improve immensely if they had just left come color in her face! I would like to see the original, untouched version of this photo.
                          That's just it I don't think it is a photo... I think it's an artist painting.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                            Pic kinda reminds me of a dead person in a coffin at a wake. Sorry! But let me explain! The people in the coffin are usually 'touched' up to make them appear more 'alive' to the mourners coming to pay their last respects. Sam here looks like she was 'touched' up as well, but to make her look younger (I guess) and more vibrant. I think she looks wonderful just the way she is and leave the photoshopping to other matters. Amanda is a natural beauty and anything that age has dealt her just makes her that much more natural and beautiful in my eyes.
                            Love the analogy.

Unfortunately, when they tried to make her look younger, they made her look like she's had bad plastic surgery. And why do her eyes look brown?
                            Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                            William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                            Anon

Comment

That's just it I don't think it is a photo... I think it's an artist painting.
                              It's a photo for sure, just one that has been incredibly photo shopped.

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
                                It's a photo for sure, just one that has been incredibly photo shopped.
                                Maybe it's the scanner that hasn't picked up the colour and detail?
                                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Working...
                                X