Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
    Sorry to butt in, but this needs correcting. It's not region 2 as a whole, because each country in the region has its own individual boxsets. For example....

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...B000E1MUVM.jpg
    The French boxsets are round like Stargates.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...B000GJ0INO.jpg
    The German collectors boxsets are silver with holograms on the front.

Generally speaking, the German, English and Spanish boxsets are the same, because those are the three languages featured.

Also, is the season nine boxset already out over there? It won't get released in the UK until March!
    oooh ok thanks for the info didn't know that the whole region didn't have the same boxset. well that is really confusing.
    as for when they come out: well it is not certain some sites say it is august the 10 and then some sites says it is 7 september. But I think it is save to say we will get it the 7th.

Edit: ok Aeryn/Vala beat me to it, but I know last year they also said it was in August or so and then we got it a month later so...

Comment

*eyes clock warily*

Just a quick fly-by post since I know I'm about to be late for work! There's a few more new galleries now from Shore Leave - 36 some pix of Amanda and Carmen from Saturday and Sunday's Shore Leave panels and a couple from Saturday when their panel overlapped hers.

http://pics.livejournal.com/shimmeringstar1/

(All I have left is Amanda's now and *counts* that's about.... a heck of a lot! Hope to get them up this weekend. )
      Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
      My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
        Is there any chance someone can go help out voting for Amanda?? SGGato has to leave and I'm in bed (truly I am ) so there is no one left.

Vote for Amanda
        I'm doing the best I can...But you are real champ with the effort you've put in RoX...thank you.

For those of you who are not aware of this...RoX has put in a lot of time at the voting thingy...I know I have seen some of you there too when I'm there but RoX is always there...I don't think she sleeps anymore...inspite of what she just posted...in bed - yeah right RoX!!s...she just votes and votes and votes......
        So if you get a little bored or lonesome...pop in to the vote thingy and say hi...and vote for Amanda while you're there!!
        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
          makes me wonder how come Ben isn't on it??? I mean as 'leader' of SG 1 he should be on it. I mean where is he??? well not that I mind that he isn't on it but still strange
          He is NOT leader ...is he?? Say it isn't so!!!
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
            You? Miss Negative? Nah, I don't buy it.

I had already decided on not buying season 9. I can use the money to buy NCIS Season 1 anyway.
            I've pre ordered it...I figured if I'm gonna collect the series I couldn't skip a season just cos it's not as good as the previous 8...so far I'm enjoying season 9...we've just seen TTTB...thought it was...funny!!
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500
              I've kind of been reading along with interest on the ratings discussion.

If the ratings have taken the drop that's reported in the article posted then I do feel incredibly sorry for everyone who works on the show even TPTB. As BW said in his article, generally they're trying to make the best show possible and work incredibly hard to do it. As a writer, I know how disheartening it can be to work on something and for you to feel its great but when its read it gets less than a 'OMG that was brilliant' reaction. However just because your intention is to produce a great a show doesn't mean it will be perceived as such by your audience when it gets to the screen.

For me, it all comes down to the fact that there is a schism between TPTB and the fans (especially veteran fans who've been with the show a long time and make up the bulk of the audience) on the new 'vision' for the show since Season 9. It's not that fans cannot accept change, (as another Trek fan I'm with Astro, I sat through a number of changes in the Trek universe without throwing my toys out of the pram) but when change happens its got to be handled well. As RC said in a trade article, you have to respect what has come before and I think a lot of fans didn't feel that the writing in Season 9 did respect what had come before; especially for the older characters such as Sam.

If we take Sam's character as an example; it was, IMO, badly written in Season 9; the storylines whipped away her leadership of SG1, didn't promote her character or seem to remember her characterisation beyond science-geek, they didn't provide her with much beyond technobabble which every other character got to roll their eyes at or scenes with 'male friends' (what was all that about FCOL??). While there was some improvement at the end of the Season (the Scourge, for instance), it was too little, too late to redeem the situation within that Season.

While there is always a balancing act with 'servicing' characters and trying to ensure all main characters get a good storyline, the servicing in Season 9 was completely imbalanced in favour of the new characters - one of whom, Vala, who was only meant originally at least to be a temporary stop-gap for AT's maternity leave. So what was meant to be Sam's return story becomes Vala Saves the Galaxy story.

It's things like this that irritate the majority of veteran fans who are heavily invested in the old characters and tuning in primarily to see good stories showcasing the characters. I'm not against Mitchell being written as a hero (or Vala) but not at the expense of the old characters. I don't think it's incredibly difficult to give everyone their turn in the spotlight and there are a couple of epis in Season 9 that I do think get the balance right. I'm still hopeful about S10 despite the ratings drop for the Season premiere. If they can the balance back, fans may return and the ratings go back up.

But I do think TPTB need to take on board still that for those veteran fans that make up the bulk of the audience, this isn't Season 2 of a new show that we're getting to know; this is Season 10 of a much loved series. I have sympathy with the business decisions TPTB have to deal with. I think they wanted to have a new show having effectively 'finished' SG1 at the end of Season 8. In some ways, I would have been happy to see SG1 end at S8 despite my love for the show and to welcome a new show last Season with a different cast (with maybe one of the originals moving forward).

But it didn't end and the reality TPTB have to face is they don't have a new show, they have a hybrid show of the old and new. And for the bulk of the audience while we may in time come to love the 'new' right now its the older part that we love and which keeps us watching - characters like Sam.
              Wow, talk about winning debuts ... this is an excellent critique!

Welcome to Samanda and thanks so much for posting this from your own viewpoint as a writer. You have expressed what many of us veterans are thinking and feeling.

Hope you contribute again!

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                as of season 10, its not to late to revert back to what works.
                Of course it's not too late...nothing is impossible...as long as AT is on board!!
                BTW, I love your sig SB...interesting!!
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                  ok a short list;

the scene with daniel about not having "to do this alone" in singularity
                  the elevator scene in singularity
                  there but for the grace of god, just before jack goes off to see teal'c ("do you really think he's right about this jaffa?") and blowing up the briefing room.
                  most of In the Line of Duty, but if i can't have most of it, the scene in the gate room where she is trying to get through the gate, the scene where she's calling after jack and the scene at the end.
                  secrets where jacob tells her he has cancer and then leaves her in the room on her own.
                  one of the technobabble scenes from a matter of time
                  the lab scene with the 2 carters and o'neill in point of view.
                  in jolinars memories where she's explaining to daniel about what she remembers about bynar
                  the other side where she's arguing with daniel (is it just me or are a lot of these so far scenes with daniel?)
                  beneath the surface, the "oh please you work just as hard as i do" scene, and the one where she's p'd off about brenna not accepting her ideas.
                  tangent, the stakeout to find dad (with daniel!), and the one where they find jack and teal'c
                  double jeopardy where robot carter dies.
                  enemies "i'm havin' fun right now sir"
                  threshold, the scene with teal'c where he asks her if she believes in god
                  the fifth man, first gate room scene
                  red sky, where she's trying to explain to jack and hammond her plan
                  2001, where she's hanging over the gate and then where she lands in the gate room
                  desperate measures where they try to kill her
                  the warrior, where she shoots up the tree
                  meridian where she's talking to daniel
                  redemption. any scene with mckay, in particular the "i hate you" scene. and "your creepin' me out mckay".
                  frozen where she gets jack to take the symbiote.
                  paradise lost, scene with teal'c
                  the changeling "prescribe him some warm milk", and the scene where they're at the RTA as firefighters.
                  fallen, yes again the one with daniel.
                  space race. the one where she "needs teal'cs help".
                  avenger 2.0, with felger on the planet, and with felger in his, um, apartment? was it an apartment?
                  grace, the scene with her father and the one with o'neill.
                  chimera, the "singin' in the rain" scene
                  death knell. thats it. just death knell.
                  heroes, part 1 where she's giving the first interview and part 2 where they come back from the planet and the scene with o'neill and the scene with teal'c.
                  new order, the torcher scene where she breaks down.
                  icon where she's leading the team in to get daniel. (haven't seen it in ages, but i think thats what they were doing)
                  covenant, flying the 302
                  geminii, replicarter kickin' ass, and the scene where fifth gets her to kill everyone
                  threads,
                  Spoiler:
                  where jacob tells her he's dying, and the one with jack in the observation room and where jacob dies. and the scene where pete meets jacob. her reaction shots there are brilliant.

moebius.
                  Spoiler:
                  all geek carter scenes. and the briefing room scene at the start, and, ah heck, just all of it.

give me some time to pick season 9 ones.
                  Spoiler:
                  i can't think of any great scenes, even though anything they gave her was brilliantly acted, i only watched most of it once. i saw maybe 2 or 3 eps twice.
                  oh wait, maybe off the grid, the argument with cam where he calls her mary poppins (excellent reaction from her), stronghold, IIRC she was all in control there for the most part, the scourge where she gets all snarky with woolsey and the other one, ripple effect, every carter with a different personality so that scene where they're all in the same room...

ok, so there is a good few there too. i won't mention them all.
                  right, not exactly a short list, but when you look at how many scenes there are that could and should be used, its a comparitively short list. i left out a ton of moments, especially in the early seasons, but also in the later ones.
                  short list!!! Hahahahahaha....very funny...I'd hate to read the long list!
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    Wow, talk about winning debuts ... this is an excellent critique!

Welcome to Samanda and thanks so much for posting this from your own viewpoint as a writer. You have expressed what many of us veterans are thinking and feeling.

Hope you contribute again!

I second that! One of many examples of "smart criticism" for Brad Wright to consider!

Comment

I'm off to read some fics before bed...I gotta work all weekend...DoH! Oh well..I get Monday and Tuesday off...and I hope to spend a lot of that time here cos hubs will be a wrok and the kids will be at school...ah the bliss...can't wait for Monday!!
                      Night all...take care and be safe!
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                        Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich bring up making another Stargate movie every few years. It is not a surprise Devlin made a comment about it again at Comic Con this year. MGM initally talked with them about the TV series after the first movie and one of the big issues was they did not want to film in Canada. About the same time Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner talked to each other about the idea of doing a series losely based on the movie and when Devlin & Emmerich did not agree to MGM's terms Glassner and Wright were given the go ahead. D&E realize they missed the boat on a profitable series.

As for Amanda staying around for S10 - well if you saw the Urban Rush interview then you know even while they were filming S9 she was saying in interviews she was not sure she would stay for a S10 or beyond. I can't remember were I read the interview but she has said in an interview since they sarted filming S10 that if there was a S11 she would be around for it. The studio was smart in having everyone sign two year contracts this year for finacial reasons.

With early reports of last weeks rating it would be my guess that unless they improve or pre-sales of S9 DVD's being unusually high S10 will be it for the series. S1 - 8 have done very wel in DVD sales - often being in the top ten for DVD box set sales for weeks at a time. I wish I had hard data on numbers of DVD box set sales in the US alone because I have a feeling S9 will be less than any other season.

Amanda is a smart lady - she is already laying the ground work for what she will be doing once SG-1 ends. She made references to this at Shore Leave. She also knows the value of the SciFi fandom base and following she has at the current time. I would lay odds we will be seeing and hearing plenty about what she does after Stargate.

Would I love to see the series end strong and with the kind of characters and stories I feel in love with when I first started watch - YES. Do I think this is going to happen - No. We are only one episode into S10 and it was better than most of S9 IMO. But it still pales in comparsion to my favorite seasons 4 & 5.

Well I have rambled on far to long tonight - from San Diego I bid you a good night - I do hope tomorrow nights episode is a good one as I will be at Comic Con hopefully enjoying what I see on a big screen without commercials at Comic Con's SciFi Friday event.

Thanks so much for your thoughts here, tsaxlady! Looking forward to hearing how Comic Con goes this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                          *eyes clock warily*

Just a quick fly-by post since I know I'm about to be late for work! There's a few more new galleries now from Shore Leave - 36 some pix of Amanda and Carmen from Saturday and Sunday's Shore Leave panels and a couple from Saturday when their panel overlapped hers.

http://pics.livejournal.com/shimmeringstar1/

(All I have left is Amanda's now and *counts* that's about.... a heck of a lot! Hope to get them up this weekend. )
                          First pics I saw of Shore Leave!! Wonderful
                          Thank you very much indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500
                            For me, it all comes down to the fact that there is a schism between TPTB and the fans (especially veteran fans who've been with the show a long time and make up the bulk of the audience) on the new 'vision' for the show since Season 9. It's not that fans cannot accept change, (as another Trek fan I'm with Astro, I sat through a number of changes in the Trek universe without throwing my toys out of the pram) but when change happens its got to be handled well. As RC said in a trade article, you have to respect what has come before and I think a lot of fans didn't feel that the writing in Season 9 did respect what had come before; especially for the older characters such as Sam.
                            Great post overall, Rachel.

I'm a new fan(haven't been watching a year yet) and season nine was definitely lacking IMHO. S9 didn't get me completely addicted to the show. Had I seen a S9 ep first, I can assure you, I probably would not be typing this. And when people tell ME I can't accept change, I just laugh. I came in the middle of the change and still don't like it. I'm not at veteran fan, but I feel the same way all of you do.

Comment

Does anyone else think that TPTB should make more time to develop some friendships for Sam? With Janet gone and Jack in Washington, I'd like to see Sam interact on a comrade-like level with some military members of the Stargate Program. IMO her "friendship" with Cam seems a bit forced, it's like she can't really let her hair down with him for fear that he'll a) get the wrong idea, b) do something stupid while she's not looking or c) think less of her in some way. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to the development of a Sam/Emerson friendship.

BTW, I don't mean "ship" here, we've had *way* more than enough of that with various minor characters IMO! I just miss that side of Sam. All she seems to do lately is talk about work; it's like we've reversed back to 'Ascension' and her conversation with Jack about her being tense - "All work and no play makes Sam a dull girl" IMO! (BTW, I still love Sam, she's a wonderful character but I think we need more than just technobabble at this stage!)
                              Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean. It looks like sam just don't really have a friendship with anyone on base anymore. off course there is still Daniel and Teal'c but for some strange reason, you don't see their friendship not on screen I mean you see that it is there sometimes in the little details but that is it
                                I would love to see the friendship she had with Janet again with Vala. I think that would be some great interaction.

Comment

Working...
                                X