Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you haven't voted yet:

GW Forum Poll: Season 7 Episodes with your Favorite/Most Memorable AT Acting Scenes

SciFi's Viewer's Choice Poll

GW Forum Poll: Who Would You Like to See Star in the new spinoff?

GW Forum Poll: Best Actor in SG-1

August Celeeb Poll

Results of July Celeeb Poll

Comment

Thanks for the reminder astro.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        sometime after 'ascension' aired, amanda was asked at a con about whether sam and orlin 'did it'. amanda said no.

i wonder if amanda would answer that differently now...

sally
        I don't think her answer has changed. I think the facial expressions AT chose to use in that scene prove that nothing happened.

Comment

I married the admin who runs the network of my ISP

I'll e-mail you the rest Astro, but it'll be easy.

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          No size limit! How did you do that? Running your own server?

So, how can I get updated versions to you? Email? Will it get through as a 25 (+)MB attachment?

You can PM me (or send me an email) if you don't want to reply on the thread
          [email protected]

sigpic

Comment

whats going on in the kingdom of samanda?

Comment

Good morning !

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
              They are little codes on your keyboard. They don't work for me because I use a laptop. But.... Just to make Oooobs happy...

Ä ALT+0196
              ä ALT+0228
              Ö ALT+0214
              ö ALT+0246
              Ü ALT+0220
              ü ALT+0252
              ß ALT+0223
              I can use these codes on my laptop, I use [Fn]+F10 to have them active.

Originally posted by RepliCartertje
              so how about ï and ë ? does that not has a code on the keyboard? Or is this only used in Dutch words?
              Alt+ 0168 ¨
              http://www.nilsanyas.com/article-378279.html and the other ones...
              Last edited by Linwelin; 02 August 2006, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                direct from the transcript for 4th horseman pt 1
                Spoiler:

CARTER: there really is no other explanation sir for how he could
                have gotten into the base…or know the things he knows…I'm pretty
                sure he's given us the key to finishing the anti prior technology Dr
                Lee and I were working on…

LANDRY: according to the mission report on your first encounter with
                Orlin…you two had uh…intimate relationship *small grin looking at
                her*?

CARTER: Uh…well…*very uncomfortable* we did….but…uh…he didn't look
                like that…he was…

LAM: Taller? <so wants to laugh!>

CARTER: *small smile* he was a grown man.
                OMG...so Sam basically confirmed it did happen! Not a very appropriate scene IMO.
                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                  [...]

i have a feeling that the 'leadership issue' problem will be handled with mitchell coming out the clear winner. so, like in 'affinity', it's not really 'handled' but whitewashed until it's literally transparent. (can't see it, it ain't there)

[
                  ...]
                  I'm afraid of that too...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    Just once I would just like to see a scene where Cameron screws up or does something stupid and Sam actually gets angry and blows up at him.
                    Now that would make for brilliant viewing...I would so love to see that...not because I don't like Cam...cos I do like him...just cos it would add some realism to the script...make the charactersmore fallible!
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                      BAH! have you ever seen carter use a mac? no! you know why? because carter is really really smart! thats why.

(if she did ever use a mac, then i apologise but my brain automatically blocks out traumatic circumstances so the memory has clearly been repressed)
                      She would use linux, I think ! Go Ubuntu !

EDIT :
                      Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                      Actually, you're both wrong. Sam drinks beer and compiles her own kernels for her operating system.
                      Sure !
                      Last edited by Linwelin; 02 August 2006, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Ok...well I'm off...this head cold is getting worse...I can barely see properly...good night all...take care and be safe...and be happy coz LTS!!!
                        Congrats to all the milestoners today!!
                        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db
                          OMG...so Sam basically confirmed it did happen! Not a very appropriate scene IMO.
                          It depends on the interpretation of the word intimate.

I always believe in The Fourth Horseman...

Spoiler:

While Landry used the word to imply a sexual relationship, Sam used it describe a spiritual relationship - the glowy sharing of souls thing they did in Ascension.

Hence as far as I am concerned she never did it with Orlin.
                          sigpic
                          Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                          My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                            Kernel. We're talking popcorn, right?

And I read the stuff about batteries and, uh, certain parts of the female anatomy (8,000 nerve endings etc. *insert cheesy grin here*)...but what's all this about zats???

*patiently awaits response*
                            As for kernel, geek vocabulary...

The other one, I wasn't there...

EDIT :
                            Originally posted by chelle db
                            Ok...well I'm off...this head cold is getting worse...I can barely see properly...good night all...take care and be safe...and be happy coz LTS!!!
                            Congrats to all the milestoners today!!
                            Good night to you. And thanks for the milestone.

Comment

I totally agree. I totally miss the bantering and the differences of opinions. The thing I enjoyed so much about Jack is that he spoke his mind even if it was politically incorrect. Sometimes he said it in a joking manner, but there was always a glimpse of seriousness to his words. Whether fear, concern or dislike, he always used humor as a means to hide his deeper emotions which I can somewhat see in Vala now. Whereas Cameron just seems to toss out one-liners just for the hell of it. There is no rhyme or reason to it and it's really becoming quite tiresome.

In Pegasus Project he came across as a
                              Spoiler:
                              bully to me. I understand Mckay is a jerk at times and he tends to goad Carter on, but McKay didn't know Mitchell and Cameron intentionally tried to intimidate McKay on several occassions. I also didn't enjoy seeing Sam condone this type of behavior. Perhaps it's the mother in me, but it was like watching the cool kids at school picking on the newbie or geek. It just struck a nerve with me.
                              I've also become quite tired with the eye rolling over the past two season. It seems as if Sam and Teal'c do this a lot in S9 & S10 and I hate the fact that Sam seems to be complying to everything that goes on around her or she's quietly trying to ignore it.

I simply can not understand why Sam, Daniel or Teal'c have never mentioned the leadership issue? What has changed since S8 that Daniel and Teal'c would agree to be lead by someone other than Sam? I mean in my mind there had to have been some kind of discussion between these three characters before they agreed to join SG-1 again. So why weren't we allowed to see it? Just hearing their concerns and reasons for coming back would have helped me to deal with the issue of Sam not leading in S9.

Spoiler for S9 and Uninvited
                              Spoiler:
                              Oh sure we may finally get to hear Mitchell and Landry discuss the leadership issue in Uninvited, but I seriously doubt we'll be allowed to see Sam's point of view. If the writers finally state that Mitchell is unequivocally the leader of SG-1, then I hope they will also state that Sam is still in charge of R&D which is why she willingly accepted a position on SG-1 instead of taking command of her own SG team and that the Pentagon felt that during the Ori crisis Sam's place was best served as a member of SG-1 rather than behind a desk at Area 51. To me this would also explain why so many episodes have shown other scientists doing the scientific work instead of Sam throughout S9 and S10. Seeing as Sam is now in charge of the research and develop she wouldn't have the time to deal with all the scientific testing therefore forcing her to delegate the work onto others.

Personally I'm just tired of the lack of explanations and the fact that we are just suppose to assume that no one on the team has any issues with their situation and Cameron is a cool new CO whom everyone adores even if they are rolling their eyes at him and making faces behind his back. Granted it was slightly amusing in the beginning, but it's really beginning to wear on me now and like TH/Skydiver have said I miss the lack of conflict. I miss seeing Daniel jump up in down in frustration because he can't get Jack to understand his POV. I want to see Sam get a backbone again and actually let someone know she's pissed off like she did in Chain Reaction or Foothold. I want to see Teal'c do something other than bow his head and succumb to the outcome like he did in Flesh and Blood. Where is that spark that these three characters used to have? While I thought that Daniel's sermon in Pegasus Project was a bit over the top, at least Daniel showed a bit of passion again for something he believed in. I was really beginning to think they had all been replaced by pod people or we are watching an alternate reality.

The thing that is so upsetting for me regarding SG-1 pre and post S9, is before S9 I just wanted to see more moments with the team relaxing with one another. I wanted to see more of the friendly bantering and closeness that they shared in the earlier seasons. Then in S9 we suddenly got this new guy on the team. Someone whom only Sam really knew and suddenly Mitchell managed to not only get Sam, Daniel and Teal'c back onto SG-1, but we're suppose to believe that they all really like him and they make it a point by showing them all hanging out together, playing basketball and watching movies. Cameron is like the class clown and the others get so wrapped up into his shenanigans that they begin to behave completely out of character. I mean other than that little scene in The Scourge where Daniel and Cameron are disagreeing and Cameron basically says "I'm right...end of story" have we ever really seen any of the characters argue or disagree about anything? Oh sure Sam looked flustered when Cameron called her Mary Poppins, but she just let him get away with it. In most cases, when S/D/ or T get annoyed with Cameron the biggest reaction we seem to get from them is rolling of the eyes or simply walking away like they did Stronghold and Camelot. I really hated that in S9 and now it seems that Sam has just become a Cameron follower by joining in his little granny remarks and making fun of McKay behind his back with facial expressions. Or am I just seeing things differently than how they actually occurred?

One of the reason I adored SG-1 so much in the beginning was because it had two scientists on the team. Sam and Daniel made it cool to be intelligent and geeky. It wasn't until the Other Guys that we ever got a hint that SG-1 was considered the cool guys at the SGC or that people actually looked up to them. They weren't arrogant or condescending( ok maybe Jack was, but the others weren't ). Sam and Daniel didn't tease anyone or speak badly about them, but that seems to have changed. Jack may have occassionally made a joke about Sam and Daniel being geeks and he may have occassionally rolled his eyes, but he was always the first person to stand up for them when they were being treated badly or to inform others how intelligent they were. When I watched SG-1, they always felt like a family. A dysfunctional family, but a family none-the-less. They had their squabbles and disagreements, but it was obvious they cared deeply for one another. Noone had to tell us they cared, because we were allowed to see it. Jack always reminded me of an older brother who would antagonize/torment his younger siblings by teasing and calling them names, but just let an outsider make those same teasing remarks and he'd be right up in their face. I liked that.

I suppose this is why I have such an issue with Cameron because there has been so little background story to really explain Mitchell's acceptance by the other members of SG-1. It was obvious at the beginning of Avalon that Daniel really didn't know Mitchell well nor did Teal'c and one can only assume there was more to Sam and Mitchell's relationship than two people who met in S7 after Cameron's injury. So why haven't the writers given us any of this background information? I understand that in the beginning of S9 the writers were trying to define the Ori as the new threat to Earth, but the Gou'ald weren't a major part of ever single episode so why couldn't they have added a few stand alone episodes into season nine to explain why Sam would be willing to come back to the SGC simply because Cameron asked her to or why she is so willing to just overlook his childish antics.

Just once I would just like to see a scene where Cameron screws up or does something stupid and Sam actually gets angry and blows up at him.
                              I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

Spoiler:
                              I don't think TPTB have done a great job at addressing the issues with that the change of the leadership in S9 would naturally bring up for the characters and I doubt that Landry's discussion with Mitchell in Uninvited will deal with it entirely either simply because they are looking at it from Mitchell's POV regarding how he is supposed to lead the team rather than the issues the other character's might have with him leading. Maybe they'll touch on those in the discussion, maybe not.

I'm quite certain that Sam would have issues with it even if it had been her choice to move to Area 51 and back into the team again - she fought too long for her position for it not to matter to her. She may not expect to have regained the position given her knowledge of the military and how it works but I would expect it to bother her at times. And I have to agree that Daniel would also challenge it - after all this was the guy who was wondering why Sam wasn't put in charge in Shades of Grey.

For me the whole problem lies in Beachhead/EDM because there is no explanation of why Sam rejoins SG1. In Beachhead she's only supposed to be back for a one-off assistance with the bomb yet suddenly in EDM she's moving back into the SGC. There is a major scene missing there to explain why she comes back. If Beachhead had ended with a Landry/Sam scene with him saying 'we need you back here, I know I can't offer you the leadership of SG1 as that's taken but we do need you' followed up by a moment with Daniel or even Mitchell (or even all of SG1) saying 'please come back - we need you' - it might have made more sense.

I have to admit it's a failing of the writing that they've left this issue lying around but then I think its part of the lack of understanding from male writers that what they did to Sam's character constituted gender discrimination in the first place and therefore they were blind to the issues that the change prompted too. I think its only since S9 aired and with the reaction to what happened that they got a clue.

I would like to see something on screen dealing with it - maybe the Sam/Mitchell episode in Line in the Sand will bring some of it up...or maybe the writers will continue to ignore the problem...

My way of dealing with it at the mo is to assume that all the stuff we're not seeing on screen happened off-screen...but I'd still like to see it on screen too
                              sigpic
                              Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                              My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

In Pegasus Project he came across as a
                                Spoiler:
                                bully to me. I understand Mckay is a jerk at times and he tends to goad Carter on, but McKay didn't know Mitchell and Cameron intentionally tried to intimidate McKay on several occassions. I also didn't enjoy seeing Sam condone this type of behavior. Perhaps it's the mother in me, but it was like watching the cool kids at school picking on the newbie or geek. It just struck a nerve with me.
                                Spoiler:
                                Just remember that poor Sam is all but prohibited to question or criticize Mitchell's actions.

If we ever see it outside of fanfic, it'll turn out that Mitchell's stupid screw-up was actually the right thing to do and Sam will be eating her words and acknowledging his superior tactical abilities, awe-inspiring leadership, etc, by the end of the episode.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Working...
                                X