Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brendini View Post
    I tried watching SGU, and found myself disliking the BSG (new) feel to it. I just didn't see the point of the PTB making it more of an "adult" (so to speak) show. And when, later, they had the two officers having a relationship, I just...couldn't believe that the AF advisors let them get away with it, frankly. It was almost disrespectful to what S/J had been through, all those years of sacrifice.
    I'm of the mindset that S/J respected the regs, but I can also see how, especially after certain experiences, they might have almost needed to give in to their feelings. Just my opinion, for what it's worth
    Totally agree with this line. It made the sacrifices S/J made seem superfluous.
    "You ended the world for me, because you believed I could bring it back." -unknown

Comment

I remember a story where Sam just ripped TJ a new one and i kinda wish like young getting his dressing down in incursion part 1, that Sam dressed down TJ on the show as well.

Comment

Okay, first, I'm just going to give a gentle reminder that this is an S/J thread and that some of us very much enjoyed SGU (never watched BSG). While I completely understand that some people didn't, let's be careful not to bash the show (we lost shippers a couple years ago because of this issue - I myself even took a break because I got tired of hearing everyone rag on the show instead of being S/J positive).

If you would like, I'd be happy to explain in a PM or elsewhere why Young/TJ didn't make S/J superfluous at all (my short answer is that if you watch it from beginning to end, you see how badly it screws up both TJ and Young. I would, in absolutely no way, want S/J to have done what TJ/Young did. They paid heavy, heavy consequences in the show because they ignored the regs. It was never, ever held up as having been acceptable).

So let's just remember that shippers here come from ALL types of backgrounds, likes, and dislikes and we need to respect our fellow shippers. Expressing dislike is one thing, but I'd like us not to devolve into bashing like it did before (sorry, I'm a little skittish about this sort of thing. I felt like I had to defend my show and I'd rather not go there again. I came here to ship, not bash).

Comment

I agree that we should be respectful of one another's likes and dislikes. I was also here when it got very ugly, but I think in that case it was because some felt it necessary to not just point out the flaws they saw in, or things they disliked about SGU, but also attack those who enjoyed.

A comparison of TJ/Young to S/J is a perfectly valid topic of discusion on this thread and naturally that is going to lead to some expressions of displeasure with the series as a whole. That doesn't mean we wish to exclude any shipper from this discusion, and it should absolutely be a given that there should be no personal criticisms of any individual's point of view.

I myself did not like SGU for many reasons. I admit that one of those was an initial horrified reaction to the blatant flaunting of regulations in the case of TJ/Young. I do think it did a disservice to S/J. But I also think it presents a cautionary tale about the ultimate consequences of right and wrong choices. That's one of the reasons I was inspired to write the story LTJC mentioned: Regulations and Regrets. I wrote it for Nynaeve knowing that she liked the show. I hope it respected all the characters while expressing my dissatisfaction with some of their choices, and would be something any S/J fan, regardless of their feelings toward SGU, could enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
            I agree that we should be respectful of one another's likes and dislikes. I was also here when it got very ugly, but I think in that case it was because some felt it necessary to not just point out the flaws they saw in, or things they disliked about SGU, but also attack those who enjoyed.

A comparison of TJ/Young to S/J is a perfectly valid topic of discusion on this thread and naturally that is going to lead to some expressions of displeasure with the series as a whole. That doesn't mean we wish to exclude any shipper from this discusion, and it should absolutely be a given that there should be no personal criticisms of any individual's point of view.

I myself did not like SGU for many reasons. I admit that one of those was an initial horrified reaction to the blatant flaunting of regulations in the case of TJ/Young. I do think it did a disservice to S/J. But I also think it presents a cautionary tale about the ultimate consequences of right and wrong choices. That's one of the reasons I was inspired to write the story LTJC mentioned: Regulations and Regrets. I wrote it for Nynaeve knowing that she liked the show. I hope it respected all the characters while expressing my dissatisfaction with some of their choices, and would be something any S/J fan, regardless of their feelings toward SGU, could enjoy.
            I agree. I was only posting as a warning (we have a lot of new faces that weren't here during that time). I don't think we've hit there yet by any means, I'm just a bit skittish about it getting there and wanted to remind everyone that we all have differing opinions. A comparison of the two is by all means on topic (as is expressing displeasure or dislike of the show because of the character relationship with regards to S/J) but tearing down the show because of it is not which is more or less what I'm nervous of. It's a fine line to walk (also I don't want the mods to come down on us, that was a really rough time on GW).

And I'd totally forgotten about that story (my memory, it's like swiss cheese, I swear!). I thought it hit the highlights very well and I had fun re-reading it and refreshing my memory LOL ^^ I know you think it did a disservice to S/J, but I don't know, it made me feel like S/J was validated in so many ways. On SGU I couldn't ship TJ/Young (I loved their dynamic because of the pain - angst dweller here - but I never wanted to see them end up together with some happy ending). Their relationship was dishonorable in so many ways. Sam and Jack on the other hand, they did it the hard way, but the right way. My fic Diverging Roads was based on that idea (no SGU references, takes place during The Road Not Taken).

Comment

i have never watched SGU, not even got as far as Atlantis yet, but i'm not going to judge any show before I have watched it, then I will make my own opinion,and my own opinion it will be, i would never flame anyone down for having a different one, the world wouldn't be much fun if we were all the same and I have also been on forums that have got ugly before too.

I must admit though I am interested in seeing the TJ/Young storyline, from what i have seen described it does sound like a show of what could happen and go wrong, and justifies the sacrifices S/J made.
              sigpic
              Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

I didn't mean to flame anyone for watching SGU and I apologise if it came across that way. I was trying to make a genuine comparison between TJ/Young and S/J. I would never ever ever presume to comment on what other people like or dislike. I've blogged about this fact (I can't be bothered to find the post now I'm afraid). Before I launch into a speech about it, I'll just say this - the honesty and freedom to express ideas and opinions on this forum without fear of flaming is what makes the internet great. It's what shows that it works amongst all the trolling and unkindness out there. You guys are awesome.

indeed.
                Cake - an AU tale of secrets, lies, intrigue and Jack's favourite thing.

Chapter 1

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Flower View Post
                  I didn't mean to flame anyone for watching SGU and I apologise if it came across that way. I was trying to make a genuine comparison between TJ/Young and S/J. I would never ever ever presume to comment on what other people like or dislike. I've blogged about this fact (I can't be bothered to find the post now I'm afraid). Before I launch into a speech about it, I'll just say this - the honesty and freedom to express ideas and opinions on this forum without fear of flaming is what makes the internet great. It's what shows that it works amongst all the trolling and unkindness out there. You guys are awesome.

indeed.
                  I didn't read anything as flaming LOL. (Egads, I didn't mean to put anyone on edge ^^) - I mainly just wanted to head off an SGU-flame session (not that one was happening - I'm totally skittish that's all, all me and such).

Sorry!

:: ducks ::

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                    I didn't read anything as flaming LOL. (Egads, I didn't mean to put anyone on edge ^^) - I mainly just wanted to head off an SGU-flame session (not that one was happening - I'm totally skittish that's all, all me and such).

Sorry!

Haha, it's ok. I think I'm just terrified of appearing like that. I'm the last person on Earth who would put anyone down. But it's hard to express that sometimes

I can't imagine what it must have been like to put you so on edge about it! Doesn't bare thinking about
                    Cake - an AU tale of secrets, lies, intrigue and Jack's favourite thing.

Chapter 1

Comment

You guys, I'n glad I wasn't around to see whatever conflict arose here on the board. The one thing I've lways loved about the S/J shippers is the courtesy shown to everyone, even during disgreement.
                      sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

On a brighter note it looks like a lot of people are interested in starting a shipper rewatch. What are your opinions? I wasn't here the last time you help a rewatch. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Would you like to do one or two episodes per week?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by meredithe5 View Post
                          On a brighter note it looks like a lot of people are interested in starting a shipper rewatch. What are your opinions? I wasn't here the last time you help a rewatch. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Would you like to do one or two episodes per week?
                          Well I for one think that we should save ship rewatches for the ship holidays like we did for ship day was 10 days before the event host a voting contest. And then a week Leadig up for it go in order from least to greatest of winning Shippy episodes and then on the actual event do a rewatch of the # 1 sparky episode. This is just my two cents. I'm in the process of moving out of my parents so im going to be unavailable for a period before the move and after.

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                            Sorry!
                            Don't apologize -thanks for reminding us to keep it on the positive side, and for being transparent about the past that created the skittishness.

That insight into TJ/Young I had not thought about: that the way it was portrayed was never glorified it as a positive thing...you are right! I've only watched a little of SGU and while I did not dislike it, the feel was so different from the previous shows that I felt a little out of place. I never finished the series, but I may yet get there.

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
                            You guys, I'n glad I wasn't around to see whatever conflict arose here on the board. The one thing I've lways loved about the S/J shippers is the courtesy shown to everyone, even during disgreement.
                            I know -I'm glad I managed to miss the bad ole days, as well, and my heart hurts for those who had to endure.

Originally posted by meredithe5 View Post
                            Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                            Well I for one think that we should save ship rewatches for the ship holidays like we did for ship day was 10 days before the event host a voting contest. And then a week Leadig up for it go in order from least to greatest of winning Shippy episodes and then on the actual event do a rewatch of the # 1 sparky episode. This is just my two cents. I'm in the process of moving out of my parents so im going to be unavailable for a period before the move and after.
                            I don't think I can wait til Shipsgiving -couldn't we do one a week and discuss? Or maybe two? I work better on weekends because the week is so crazy busy.
                            sigpic
                            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                              Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                              I don't think I can wait til Shipsgiving -couldn't we do one a week and discuss? Or maybe two? I work better on weekends because the week is so crazy busy.
                              We can still watch a few together around holidays, but I do have some other plans in the works for Shipsgiving and Shipmas. I think it will keep everyone busy and in a very shippy mood.
                              Last edited by hlndncr; 14 August 2012, 08:58 AM.

Comment

"You ended the world for me, because you believed I could bring it back." -unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X