Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching SG-1 for the first time! Plus a blog!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    Nice avatar!
    Thank you! (:

Oh, and just FYI guys, I won't have another review until tomorrow because I am dead-tired and need sleep. Church in the morning too. I'll try to get a blog done a day whatever the case. It only takes me about as long as the episode to write each one, and about five more minutes to do the end.

Comment

Trust me, take it slow. I remember when I first started watching I came in at the start of season three when it originally aired on showtime and I was instantly hooked. I couldn't wait to see season 1 and two when they came out on DVD plus Being a kid of ten staying up still 11 on a Friday was just plain cool.

Comment

Okay, guys, I'm really sorry, but per usual I got all over-excited over another Teal'c episode so I wrote a WHOLE BUNCH but I couldn't help myself. It was really, really fantastic on every level and it broke my heart and now I want to watch it all over again.

I give you the blog for "Cor-Ai" (1x15) and hope you can get through it to see the points I tried to make. It just had some amazing implications and commentary overall and is so far the most (or one of the most) socially powerful episodes I've seen thus far.

Also I got all sappy in the end. xD;

...On a lighter note, shirtless Teal'c at the end wasn't so bad either... but I'll save that for the "thunk" thread.

Comment

Finished up "Singularity" (1x16) review here!

Perhaps the best Carter episode I've seen thus far. Kind of a different side to her!
          Also, something I've noticed that seems to be recurring.. Teal'c and O'Neill get into a lot of trouble/sticky situations together. xD

I thought there would be more to do with the black hole itself, but pretty good nonetheless. :3

Also, just got done with "Enigma" (1x17). It was all right but I wasn't terribly impressed. There have been far better ones already. I honestly felt that the Carter/Narim story was completely superfluous.
          Last edited by CMWriter; 26 September 2011, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Finished up "Tin Man" (1x18). Pretty interesting! Kind of out-there even for Stargate. Good writing, though, and good ending.

There's also a little note for all you people who've supported me and left comments and the like there. (: Thanks again!
            I should add that the pageview count has now passed 400! Thanks everyone!

Comment

your blog is a nice read - takes me back to experiencing the gate for the first time myself!
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks! And since you've gone through the series, you know I'm only scratching the surface!
                The blog is actually a nice tool for me, too. For years I've had teachers mock television (something I truly, honestly love, YES I LOVE TV) saying, "The only way you can intelligently watch TV is to take notes while you're doing it!" Well, I'd like to take this note-filled blog and shove it in their faces.
                ...Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, is that by writing all my thoughts and stuff down, I'm less likely to forget. That, and I can go back on my predictions and that sort of thing and see how right I was. The less right I was, the better the series will have turned out. |D And so far I've been wrong a few times already. It's a wonderfully complex storyline with so many facets between the characters.

That said, my review of "Solitudes" (1x19) is right there. Little bit longer of an afterthought!

Comment

I hesitate to mention it then, but I'm a teacher! However, I'm a huge scifi geek and have been known to use episodes of Star Trek and Stargate in my sociology classes to illustrate points. Not all teachers have such narrow views of how one must "intelligently" watch television. If you're spending all your time writing, when are you enjoying? It's not a lecture, for goodness sake, it's entertainment. Even documentaries, which I watch a lot of, are entertaining.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                    I hesitate to mention it then, but I'm a teacher! However, I'm a huge scifi geek and have been known to use episodes of Star Trek and Stargate in my sociology classes to illustrate points. Not all teachers have such narrow views of how one must "intelligently" watch television. If you're spending all your time writing, when are you enjoying? It's not a lecture, for goodness sake, it's entertainment. Even documentaries, which I watch a lot of, are entertaining.
                    Actually, in my junior year of high school I did an entire unit on the effects of technology on society during my AP Lang' and Comp' class. For this blog I end up doing a lot of pausing when I need to make an extra comment on a situation but.. yeah, I don't know. Even look at something like 24 or ER versus Jersey Shore or American Idol. If you look at a person's brainwaves, two of those will show more activity during watchtime than the other two.
                    I don't think TV is like the end-all-be-all of entertainment (far from.. I prefer books!) but there is a lot of great programming out there. (Or at least a little.) Believe me, I have nothing against teachers. I have had many fantastic teachers. I just get a little tired of seeing all TV lumped into the same "bad" category!
                    Complex storylines "for the win". ;D

Comment

Originally posted by CMWriter View Post
                      I just get a little tired of seeing all TV lumped into the same "bad" category!
                      Complex storylines "for the win". ;D
                      Absolutely! You must choose wisely, just as you feed your body you feed your brain, Books are best of course, but television definitely has it's place. Personally, I avoid "reality" tv like the plague. I just have no use for it. I stick with a few good dramas, scifi, and science programs.
                      sigpic

Comment

I barely watch TV at all anymore, because I'm usually writing or reading. That said, when I do watch, it's usually news and information programming, travelogues, documentaries or similar fare. I'm another one of those people who won't watch the reality shows and talent shows. The closest I come to watching something like that is the occasional episode of Iron Chef, and half the reason for that is because I'm kind of a foodie.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                        sigpic
                        now also appearing on DeviantArt
                        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Me, I guess I was kind of exaggerating. I love TV but I don't watch it all the time. Furthermore, I only watch dramas (AKA scripted TV... remember when we didn't have to differentiate?) that I think are worth my time. I watch everything on USA Network (in fact, its show The 4400 is what really turned me on to scifi for the first time) and I've checked out nearly every broadcast scifi the past few season.

Since I've started college my broadcast TV watching has decreased dramatically. The only shows I watch with regularity now are Fringe and The Big Bang Theory. I thought about Terra Nova but I just fear it'll get canceled.. /sigh

Can't wait for Psych to start up on USA. What a great channel. Only mistake they ever made was canceling 4400! :C

I suppose that's also why I picked up this series. Gives me something to look forward to, because I know it'll be good. (: With that said, I need to start up the next episode and get writing!

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                            Absolutely! You must choose wisely, just as you feed your body you feed your brain, Books are best of course, but television definitely has it's place. Personally, I avoid "reality" tv like the plague. I just have no use for it. I stick with a few good dramas, scifi, and science programs.
                            Technically documentaries are reality tv
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              Technically documentaries are reality tv
                              Yeah, but someone with a brain actually had to produce, film, etc... them.
                              And you usually have to have a brain to understand what's going on. (;

(Ugh! Need to get off of GW and into Microsoft Word! Lol..)
                              ((Hey! I just realized I hit 100 posts! Chief Master Sergeant; woot!))

Comment

Originally posted by CMWriter View Post
                                Yeah, but someone with a brain actually had to produce, film, etc... them.
                                And you usually have to have a brain to understand what's going on. (;

(Ugh! Need to get off of GW and into Microsoft Word! Lol..)
                                ((Hey! I just realized I hit 100 posts! Chief Master Sergeant; woot!))
                                You have to have a brain to live
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X