Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why dont some(or alot) of people like Sam to be...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah... as much as I want to believe otherwise, I don't think it'll happen either... It's a nice thought though

Comment

I'd really like to see them restore the traits that made the character different from the typical sci-fi female lead (Personally I thought Carter was at her best in seasons 2 and 3.)

Absolutely, I agree. I love Sam in those Seasons and like her quite a bit in Season 1 as well, when she was finding her feet.

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany
        I'd really like to see them restore the traits that made the character different from the typical sci-fi female lead (Personally I thought Carter was at her best in seasons 2 and 3.)

Absolutely, I agree. I love Sam in those Seasons and like her quite a bit in Season 1 as well, when she was finding her feet.
        can't argue there... she was awesome in S1 (minus that bit in the pilot.)
        In the early seasons she seemed so much more confident in herself and her abilities. Aside from the basic traits, (strength, courage, etc...) confidence is definitely something they're going to have to bring back to the character if they want to make her situation convincing. If you're gonna be a leader, you have to be sure of yourself. bottom line.

I hate to say it, but in season 7 they pretty much stripped Carter of all the things that made her so complex and drawn out as a main character, and as a result she's become very one-demensional. I really hope the writers have realized this and are trying to fix it, but I'm not exactly counting on it...

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Rivet
          I hate to say it, but in season 7 they pretty much stripped Carter of all the things that made her so complex and drawn out as a main character, and as a result she's become very one-demensional. I really hope the writers have realized this and are trying to fix it, but I'm not exactly counting on it...
          Exactly! They dropped everything that makes Sam Sam to me. She isn't fun to watch, anymore, she's... embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for her, I'm embarrassed by her... and that doesn't make for quality TV in my book.

Bring back the Sam we love.

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany
            when she was finding her feet.
            If she did find her feet then she must have lost them in s7

Comment

Originally posted by the_fours
              If she did find her feet then she must have lost them in s7
              Luke would be perfectly happy to carry her around if that ever happened.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                Luke would be perfectly happy to carry her around if that ever happened.
                love to see how she'd escape the jaffa offworld without feet

Comment

Originally posted by the_fours
                  love to see how she'd escape the jaffa offworld without feet
                  Maybe she could get a flying throne chair thingy like Rygel on Farscape. Or maybe Thor's chair has some previously unguessed abilities. Then install weaponry in the armrests and she could fly around in her chair shooting the bad guys. They'd be so confused by the sight she could probably get most of them before the surprise wore off.

Of course, that would mean Luke couldn't carry her, but I'm sure there would be the occasional "technical difficulty" that would arise...

Comment

i like it, could you imagine a wheelchair bound sg unit that would be damn funny

Comment

Originally posted by Whitster
                      Maybe they should get their russian officer now.
                      Spoilers series 6-7 onwards
                      Actually thinking about it now that the SGC is now common knowledge of the major US allies governments they should all get teams, how cool would a british SAS SG team be
                      I'd like to see one of the female Russians we have seen..... either the one from Watergate or The Tomb...either would be a really great addition to the team.

Pagan Twylight's
                      Stargate SG-1
                      Tok'Ra FriendlyFanfiction
                      http://www.pagantwylight.com
                      Symbiotica
                      http://tokra.fandomnet.com/fic2/index.php
                      There comes a moment of sadness, with the setting of the sun.
                      Not for the sins committed, but for the things I have not done.
                      Minot Savage

Comment

Originally posted by kalicokatt
                        I'd like to see one of the female Russians we have seen..... either the one from Watergate or The Tomb...either would be a really great addition to the team.
                        o'niell would never let a russian join sg-1

Comment

I like the idea of a strong Sam in command. It might bring back some of the unhappy audience members who can't stand the way she is currently being written.

Comment

Originally posted by Otis
                            I like the idea of a strong Sam in command. It might bring back some of the unhappy audience members who can't stand the way she is currently being written.
                            ...Or it might anger the people who like the way she has been written this season.

...Or it might confuse the people who never saw a difference between season six Sam and season seven Sam.

...Or it might just give the same unhappy audience members more reasons to be angry.

I know you're trying to be optimistic, Otis, so just know that this isn't a jab at you. I'm just talking about the consistency of topics that have been spreading through this forum and other popular forums, I suppose.

Personally, I think that Sam hasn't been given the proper chance to show that she can command a field unit, which would explain why people don't have much faith in her (in some aspects). RDA has been top-britches for nearly eight years, with a complete absence in, what? Four eps? And, as much as I appreciate that fact, there is one thing that should be pointed out:

Because of this ratio, it may look like Sam has always been looking to Jack for the answers, when really she's just been following the proper chain of command.

Like I've said before, if RDA is THERE, why wouldn't they use him in his full capacity? It's only when he's been gone that Sam's taken the lead, and even then it hasn't really been a serious off-world mission, without her father, Bratac, another leader, etc. Reduced RDA schedule means a greater chance for Sam (and subsequently AT) to show her stuff... or to screw up. Either result is human, IMO.

Unfortunately, despite the fact that Jack has screwed up in the past (also in spite of his IMMENSE experience), it probably won't be debated/talked about NEARLY as much as Sam's screw up, should she have one.

Then again, if she DOESN'T screw up, she'll be considered written as being too perfect.
                            Please, someone try to tell me that NO ONE will think that. We can have a good laugh together.

Nope. She's not a martyr (That's just stupid). No, this isn't a Pity on Carter session (Even more stupid). It's simply the truth. Even if it's a half-truth, a quarter-truth, a little, itty-bitty bit of the truth - someone out there is gonna think that Jack is the almighty leader and that Sam should never be out in the field. Sad, but true.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
                            On a more serious note, is it true that females cannot lead a field unit in the Air Force, or was that sarcasm? I thought I read it somewhere, but I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                              Unfortunately, despite the fact that Jack has screwed up in the past (also in spite of his IMMENSE experience), it probably won't be debated/talked about NEARLY as much as Sam's screw up, should she have one.

Then again, if she DOESN'T screw up, she'll be considered written as being too perfect.

Nope. She's not a martyr (That's just stupid). No, this isn't a Pity on Carter session (Even more stupid). It's simply the truth. Even if it's a half-truth, a quarter-truth, a little, itty-bitty bit of the truth - someone out there is gonna think that Jack is the almighty leader and that Sam should never be out in the field. Sad, but true.
                              How very true. That old gender-based double standard is still alive and kicking along with a number of other stereotypes that have come out of the closet in Season 7 and going into Season 8.

One thing I've noticed in the synopses of the stories for Season 8 so far (9 with one still to be filled in) is that Sam isn't mentioned in any of them. They talk about Jack, who isn't really a member of SG-1 any longer, Daniel and Teal'c but Sam's name is graphically missing.

I guess TPTB are still having problems juggling all the characters that were so effortlessly integrated prior to Season 7. Too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                                A few threads or so, it was stated that some people didn't want Sam, or didn't like the idea of Sam to lead SG1, but why?
                                id like sam to lead sg1 (naked)...

she'd be a descent leader i think, but shes too moral. Jack knows when to put morality aside for the good of the mission, im not so sure sam's quite as good!

Comment

Working...
                                X