Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why dont some(or alot) of people like Sam to be...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dani347
    And, I'm not even going to bother with the whole change argument, since I've stated my views on that numerous times.
    Aww, c'mon. Do it again, do it again.

...feeling a bit punchy after getting up at 4am for work today.
    Webbgirl
    Keeper of Major Davis' Office Supplies

Webbgirl's Hangouts
    My Livejournal

Comment

There's no room for negativity! *runs away throwing petals, into the rainbow*

Comment

Sam is as Jack put it, "a national treasure, a national resource." To keep risking her off world in combat is stupid. She is high enough to command/supervise others from the base and teach/train the next brains in action. With the material she has gleaned in the field she could do research or set policy for that research for the next hundred years. She could also be sent off world after the situation has been secured or to interface with friendly aliens willing to share technology. Perhaps she should lead a techno team which comes in AFTER first contact is made. The program has to grow its own personnel for it continue.
        Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

It was strange that such a senior field officer was rarely shown in charge of additional troops. Yet many times he was and the inference was frequently there that he was...check out Homecomming and the many times he had other teams along as in Orpheus and Evo p1. I think you have to read between the lines. His role grew administratively as you see him off to briefings and meetings on the base. He was acting as Hammond's second in command as the character grew. Now he will grow some more.

And Teal'c does get paid otherwise how could he afford to buy civilian clothes and go off base for living and entertainment?

Comment

Alright! Time for clarification!

My observations have come from my times on the Delphi Forums (not Gateworld - yet) and on a few chat rooms. It's different on chat rooms, as everyone knows, because it's more of an instant conversation, although it does have the potential to be really chaotic.

Anyway, after having long, long, LONG conversations on the chat rooms with SEVERAL people who were all in agreement, and after reading what some people said in the Delphi-verse, I came up with a very non-specific conclusion.

My observations did not specifically come from anyone on these new, cool forums, and even if they did, that wouldn't matter, because the differences of opinions are everywhere.

Comment

Teal'c was a general under Apophis...First Prime is a general...give him a command.

Comment

Good idea
                Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Teal'c is obviously a great warrior, but the way the team is set up (and has been set up) has proved to be best. He has amazing expertise and instincts, so - just as he has been good support for Jack - he can be good support for Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                    A few threads or so, it was stated that some people didn't want Sam, or didn't like the idea of Sam to lead SG1, but why?
                    The main reason that I don't want to see Carter leading SG-1 is becuase it is O'Neill's job. O'Neill's leadership is what (for me anyhow) made the series what it is (or was?). I'm not here to say that I don't like Carter (although I do have a problem with scientists), because I think that she has a definate place on the team. But, with Anderson's reduced schedule I do realize that someone has to take O'Neill's place as field leader of SG-1. I'm not sure if it should be Carter or someone else. It most likely will end up being her, why would they bring in a new starring role at this point in the series? The few times I've seen Carter leading a team, I wasn't too impressed, but that was just a few times. Once season eight gets going I'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out. If it was my choice, Carter would probably end up with the job, since she's been with that team from the beginning, rather than transferring someone from elsewhere. And I'm sure that Military Intelligence (and most likely the JCS as well) would frown on an alien getting any type of military command.
                    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
                      She's a scientist and she's a soldier but that doesn't automatically mean she can command in the field, and IMO she hasn't been proven yet, not where the hard choices need to be made, and I'm hoping we'll get to see some of that in s8.

<nods> There's some terrific potential to further develop Carter's character, here. And not only Carter's.

Let Daniel and Teal'c give her some grief in the field; they both certainly gave enough to Jack. Let her make some mistakes. Let her doubt herself. Let some guest star question her command abilities, as MacKay questioned her scientific theories. (And just think of all the threads and fic such situations would engender! )
                      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff
                        My concern with Sam in command comes not from any dislike for the character, but from a standpoint of the real world military.
                        While there are female officers in the military in command positions, none are in SpecOps; none are Infantry. When there is a very real possiblity of engaging in combat, the Air Force would not send a woman into harm's way. The exception being that now they do allow female pilots go on bombing runs.
                        Oh, yes, indeed!

The whole idea of putting a woman in the front lines of battle is against US Air Force regulations, let alone puting her in command of a front line unit.

Which means that either SG-1 will cease to be a front line unit (a possibility since lately they seem to be doing less of that pioneering exploration stuff), or that the Air Force wants to give the impression that females can and do advance to battle command positions.

If it's the latter(which I think will prove to be the case) then it's as false a lead as the whole ship/regs debacle(and, FYI, I'm neither pro nor anti ship).
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                          Oh, yes, indeed!

The whole idea of putting a woman in the front lines of battle is against US Air Force regulations, let alone puting her in command of a front line unit.

Which means that either SG-1 will cease to be a front line unit (a possibility since lately they seem to be doing less of that pioneering exploration stuff), or that the Air Force wants to give the impression that females can and do advance to battle command positions.

If it's the latter(which I think will prove to be the case) then it's as false a lead as the whole ship/regs debacle(and, FYI, I'm neither pro nor anti ship).
                          Stargate SG-1 is a TV Show. On top of that it's Sci-fi. The whole point of Sci-fi is "entertainment without limitations." I'd say that philosophy most likely extends to the whole "women in combat" issue as well.

Comment

I can see how, from a real-world military perspective, Sam in charge would be aggravating. I can also understand how, as a TV show, they don't necessarily have to follow the book. But, just as there's such a thing as being TOO "By the Book" you also don't want to throw the book out completely (although I know a lot who wouldn't mind that *g*).

The trick is to find a balance. IF the writers can have Sam in charge and still maintain military realism in other ways, more power to 'em. But if for whatever reason it isn't working out- or if they're advisors advise against it, then I say find another solution. I'd love to see Sam in charge, but not at the expense of the integrity of the show itself.

Of course, if we're depending on the writers, we're all doomed either way.

Comment

since it's pretty much set in stone that Carter will be the CO of SG-1 this coming season anyway, There is one thing I'd love to see change. As much as I love the S/J ship element, I don't like the way the wrote her in season 7. To put it simply, they made her out to be an emotional mess. It was very out of character. If they're really gonna try and pull this off right, I'd really like to see them restore the traits that made the character different from the typical sci-fi female lead (Personally I thought Carter was at her best in seasons 2 and 3.)

Comment

Amen to that, Rivet. Unfortunately, I doubt it'll happen. Apparently women are supposed to pine after the man they love and go all weepy and weak in the brain... Or so TPTB seem to think.

Comment

Working...
                                X