Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why dont some(or alot) of people like Sam to be...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking forward to seeing Sam in charge of SG-1. I think it could provide her character with a lot of growth that's (thankfully) unrelated to ship. I think it will also be interesting to see her relating to Daniel and Teal'c as the head of the team and how they react to that.

Strong Sam back? Yes, I definitely hope we see that!!!
    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bast
      Teal'c should lead!
      That would be a good idea. Has Teal'c ever lead a team? Sam's done it. Daniel's lead an archeological team.

I agree that season 7 Sam is not in a position to lead.
      I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

That would be interesting, Teal'c leading, i would like to see.
        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I'd hate to see SG-1 turned into a Scientific team. SG-1 has always been a "First Contact" team, and under Jack's leadership, has been able to usually handle itself under fire. Sam is a scientist first and I don't believe she has the background necessary to be an effective leader in a combat situation.

While I am sure the writers will place Sam in command, Ferretti is a much better choice. Or even Dave Dixon for that matter, Baldwin wanted a role in SG-A and and his job on Angel is over now- he needs a job.

Comment

I don't get it... why can't Sam be a girl and a leader at the same time?! That ultra feminist, butch tomboy thing she had going in the pilot was pathetic!! What's wrong with her having emotions?! It shows that shes human... shes like this ultra smart, pretty, strong woman! They have to give her emotion cause otherwise she will we seem fake.
            It's gonna be really strange seeing the team without Jack! His sarcasm and "dim-wittedness", really eased the tension in all those tough situations the team seems to get themselves into!
            I reckon they'll have to replace him eventually... otherwise it will really disrupt the team dynamic! Why do you think they replaced daniel when he ascended? Why do you think their are four team members in atlantis? Sam might lead to begin with but i reckon they'll end up getting someone else in to play the hard arse/ sarcastic role of jack!

Comment

They don't have to have four members, it was just preferred to have a 'daniel/jonas -esque' kind of person on the team. Such as in Redemption, the Season 6 Premeire, Oneill asked why does the team have to have four team members, and hammond said it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Teags
                I don't get it... why can't Sam be a girl and a leader at the same time?! That ultra feminist, butch tomboy thing she had going in the pilot was pathetic!! What's wrong with her having emotions?! It shows that shes human... shes like this ultra smart, pretty, strong woman! They have to give her emotion cause otherwise she will we seem fake.
                I don't think people are objecting to her having emotions. As has already been pointed out in this thread, she has already displayed lots of empathy and emotion throughout the series. I think the main complaint is the way it has been displayed this past season.

It's possible to be strong AND have geniune emotions, but- and I can only speak for myself, here- I feel as if all of Carter's strength of character, all of her head-strongedness, independence, vitality, all of the things that make Sam Sam have been stripped away so she can be the weepy little girly girl who's pining after Jack to the detriment of everything and everyone around her. She isn't strong anymore, she isn't independent, there's no true spine left to the character, she's just... Jack's Girl. Which, considering the fact that she's supposed to be dating Pete only makes her that much weaker and less enjoyable to watch.

I miss the Sam who could kick ass, take names and still offer comfort. I miss the Sam who could kiss the boys and make them cry. I miss the Sam who was actually Sam and not this pathetic cliche of a girl in love. You can be in love and still be who you are. I wish the writers would realize that, but instead they seem to favor emasculating her (or whatever the feminine equivalent is). Or, rather, they've chosen to highlight that she's female and forgotten the rest of her personality and character traits.

This is NOT the strong, independent, sensitive Sam I knew and loved. This is some over-testosteroned stereotype.

My opinion, anyway.

Comment

Agree with you completely ShadowMaat. I would really like if Jack stayed, but changes are usually good. It will be interesting seeing how she handles things.
                  If all else fails, Jack numbled them with his sarcasm, Sam can confuse them with her technobabble.
                  Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                  Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                  Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                  Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                  Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                  Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                  Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

I liked both as team leaders, such as in evolution part 1 and 2, Sam lead her team and came back nicely (with a few injuries i guess).

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                      A few threads or so, it was stated that some people didn't want Sam, or didn't like the idea of Sam to lead SG1, but why?
                      For various reasons! None of which are relevant to my POV, as they are just as free as I am to express their views.

My personal POV is this: I want Sam to be given the chance to lead the team,and to be given the respect and courtesy, that she would receive in RL Armed Forces, from the other characters,and we "Show-Fans" to make her own mark as a leader!

IMO,she has massive field experience,and plenty expertise of her own to call on, to function as an effective leader of SG-1.After 7 years of being Jack's second in command of SG-1,and as the SGC's top Scientist and their main expert on the "Gate" itself,I don't personally feel she needs to justify her promotion at all!
                      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
                        IMO,she has massive field experience,and plenty expertise of her own to call on, to function as an effective leader of SG-1.After 7 years of being Jack's second in command of SG-1,and as the SGC's top Scientist and their main expert on the "Gate" itself,I don't personally feel she needs to justify her promotion at all!
                        I agree I don't think she needs to justify her promotion.

However saying that being Jack's second makes her capable of command is like saying working in a reasturant makes you capable of cooking... well if you're the waiter/waitress then it's not a given. You may very well be able to cook, just like Sam may very well be able to lead, but first you have to prove it.

She's a scientist and she's a soldier but that doesn't automatically mean she can command in the field, and IMO she hasn't been proven yet, not where the hard choices need to be made, and I'm hoping we'll get to see some of that in s8.
                        ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                        The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

She hasn't gotten the chance too (or maybe she has)...

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                            She hasn't gotten the chance too (or maybe she has)...
                            She has commanded several times:

Spirits -- but they brought it back to the base and Jack handled all the nasty stuff

Nightwalkers -- which I enjoyed because it was Sam without a saftey net and she did really well, but first it wasn't combat, second it was on-world, and third I can't stand it when they break encryption that easily.

Reserrection -- The episode was alright, but again it was on-world, this time she had a partner (someone to make decissions with instead of for) and it was non-combat, and again with that encryption thing

Evolution -- It was good to see her in charge militarily speaking, but she didn't have any "major" decisions to make. It was very black and white: they were gou'ald they needed to be killed.

The Lost City -- Just a touch, I did enjoy seeing Sam give Jack an order. but otherwise it was pretty cut and dry again.

What I'd like to see is Sam put in a place where she has to make the "hard call" like in The Other Side or Unnatural Selection, or have to actually kill someone with hand-to-hand combat. Those kinds of episodes would be some great character development for her.
                            ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                            The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

I agree, that would be good

Comment

I am looking forward to seeing Sam prove that she is a woman, an officer and a kick butt leader...I don't think I am going to be disappointed
                                Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                                X