Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always wanted to go to a Con and living in Vancouver, I have always had the chance every year, which I really wanted to do. But I have the fear of being an outsider, and not because I am a fan, but because I am not fan enough. I would picture myself going and being surrounded by ppl in costumes and role playing fights in the hallways. I would love to get pics and autographs with the stars and see the sets, so I will definetly be going next year.

Listener Question: I think Universe should go back to the realism that SG-1 represented so well. During Atlantis' run, I felt there was only one episode in which the characters were in true peril, "Trio". The rest of the show they never expressed their fears and seemed to know they would be OK in the end. Even when Shep's arm was cut off I felt like, what Deus Ex Machina will they come up with now? Is it a dream or will they just use nanites to grow it back. In Universe I want to see the realization of "oh my f***ing god, we are stuck on a ship with no way home."

Comment

Originally posted by quade_1 View Post
      I always wanted to go to a Con and living in Vancouver, I have always had the chance every year, which I really wanted to do. But I have the fear of being an outsider, and not because I am a fan, but because I am not fan enough. I would picture myself going and being surrounded by ppl in costumes and role playing fights in the hallways. I would love to get pics and autographs with the stars and see the sets, so I will definetly be going next year.
      I think the day of the costume competition is the only time you really see folks in costume and I can't say I've ever witnessed any staged hall fights... except maybe at Agamemcon when two room parties collide. LOL!

Cons are a lot of fun and if you can drop by, you should. You can stay on the outside if you choose or you can inveigle your way in and make some new friends. YOU can pick your level of involvement.

Comment

LOOK AT THE PRETTY ALBUM ART!!!

sigpic

Comment

Beauty.
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Hey Darren, David and Tame,

I really enjoyed this weeks podcast! And you guys gave some great con advice too. I always forget to eat and sleep at the cons too David lol. Thank so much for reading my answer out. I squealed lol.

Answering this weeks listener question:

I think as long as there are good characters that viewers can relate to, care about and go on a journey with, we need to feel for these characters, go through the worst and the best of times with them. IMHO this was missing from SGA! And make the new team a true team and show those friendships that would naturally develop...I always felt that the characters in SGA didn't really bond properly for the most part, and if the characters can't bond with each other then we, the viewer will find it hard as well.
            sigpic
            Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Hi, i am relatively new to the gateworld podcast, but so far i can only say i have been enjoying all of them and keep up the good work

Listener question:
              I think to propel the stargate franchise forward is to go darker, until now all regulars have been the "save the day"-type except maybe for Ford but that lasted not very long and i think we need more of that, more of the bad assed type, because that way you have a whole different view on the characters and you can get a whole lot of other stories told, some stories that they could have done with Ford but sort of left that hanging in the middle and i hope we see more of those darker characters and darker stories.
              "Don't call us, we'll call you"

--

sigpic

Spoiler:
              Spoiler:
              Favorite Stargate Quote:

For the record, I hate you.
              Well, it can't get any worse, then, can it?
              Oh, no. I'm rapidly working up to despise.
              Spoiler:
              Everyone: "Go Metric"
              Proud Member Of The Bunny Cult
              (\/)
              (oo)
              (")(")

Comment

For The Podcast:

My advice to the Universe producers would be to -
                1: Make sure you establish real relationships like the family on SG-1

2: If you start a romance make sure to give it a proper conclusion like the McKay/Keller romance and unlike the long overdue O'Neill/Carter confirmation.

3: Add one of the great SG-1 or Atlantis supporting characters to the show such as Maj. Davis, Jonas or Maj. Lorne. They deserve it.

and

4: If you start a plot thread don't forget to wrap it up to some degree before the series is over. The fans always remember.

Thanks as always guys. I'm proud to be part of your podcasts in any way
                Last edited by Mac Jackson; 20 February 2009, 08:19 PM. Reason: added thought
                Mac Jackson
                Singer/Songwriter of
                "Harmony Constant"
                [email protected]
                myspace.com/harmonyconstant
                youtube.com/MacWJack
                Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
                http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

Episode #31 is now available!

As we count down to this fall’s big premiere of Stargate Universe, Darren and David stop to consider just what we want this new show to be. What will make the show a hit — with fans and non-fans alike — and move the franchise forward? Is arc-based storytelling really better than episodic? And what does it mean to “take risks?”

Also this week:

Stargate News! The latest headlines from the Stargate universe

Listener Mail! Fans sound off on what they want out of Universe

This Week's Listener Question: What is your favorite episode from the first season of Stargate SG-1, and why do you like it so much?

CALL US! You can call the hotline and leave us a voicemail any time, day or night. Tell us what you thought of the newest Atlantis episode, answer the weekly listener question, leave feedback on the podcast itself, or talk about anything you want.

Dial: 616-712-1647 (long distance rates apply)

Thanks for listening and contributing!
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

And episode 31 is currently downloading from iTunes. YAY!

As for the listener question.

My favourite episode from SG-1's first season was hands down: The Torment of Tantalus. And it still remains one of my all time favourite Stargate episodes. I seem to enjoy it more each time i watch it. When i first watched it, i was quite young, and didn't fully understand it. But once i had seen more Stargate, and matured a little, i realised just how great the episode was. It showed Daniel's passion for other cultures and how much it means to him. He was willing to remain in a building slowly falling into the ocean just to learn more about these "4 Great Races". Which is something else i loved about the episode, this was SG-1's first season, and we're already introduced to 4 races, some of which would become a massive part of the Stargate Mythology over the next 10+ years. This was also the first time i believe we saw the Stargate dialled manually. Very cool. The storyline itself was quite moving, and featured one of the franchises most important faces - Catherine Langford. There were nice character moments between Jack and Daniel as well, one of Stargate's biggest relationships. All these aspects make it an episode i just never tire of watching.
                    And if i want to watch an episode which really defines Stargate, that's certainly one of them
                    "There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind"

Woolsey: That sounded like another explosion.
                    O'Neill: Yes. Yes it did.
                    Woolsey: What does that mean?
                    O'Neill: Something exploded...

sigpic

Comment

You're little discussion about nobody wanting to talk about Stargate is interesting because I know loads of people who watch it. Well, if you count 10ish as loads. Everyone (almost) who I've talked into giving it a go have really liked it, people just need pushing.
                      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

For the Podcast:

I started to watch Stargate SG-1 because of RDA and even though the episodes were deep and thought provoking, other than "Solitudes" and "Cold Lazarus", I was afraid it was a show that was going to be stuck in the "planet of the week" rut. That was until the shocking ending with "There But for the Grace of God". It was the episode that let us know that this series would build on itself and there would be big payoffs for the audience. Not only did "Politics" carry the ball but it also lead into a brillant and nail bitting season finally. It would be easier to name my least favorite episode.

Thanks,
                        Mac Jackson
                        Singer/Songwriter of
                        "Harmony Constant"
                        [email protected]
                        myspace.com/harmonyconstant
                        youtube.com/MacWJack
                        Our Music is at iTunes and Amazon:
                        http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tant&x=19&y=22

Comment

RE: Universes Bad guys...

how bout this as a good idea for the bad guys, where atlantis was sort of an ally to the expedition, imagine is if the destiny was against us, it could be an enemy in itself. The ship is out of our control and working against us.

A big arch enemy, imagine an advanced race runs into the seeder ship, the one dropping the gates, and takes over it, and uses it to there advantage, imagine if we have to catch up or something like that and stop then and take the seeder and get it dropping gates properly, id love 2 c that...

Comment

Hi guys:

Thanks for all the updates on SGU, and for the more encompassing discussions on the SG industry as we wait for the new series!

While I agree with Lewisco that 'Tormet of Tantalus' was excellent (for reasons given, as well as the backstory on the Gate project), I have to go with Mac Jackson "Solitudes" as my fave from Season 1. The character focus of this show was really where we got a lot of depth not only of the individual characters (O'Neill and Carter specifically), but also of their relationships. And as many folks have said here and in podcasts, those character connections (us to them and among them) really MADE the series.

In addition, the twist toward the end--they were on Earth the whole time, AND the second gate there, set up ALL sorts of series-long (in fact franchise-wide) plot elements (earlier Ancient history on earth, in Antarctica, 'busy signal' reroutes to second gates, etc). For both people and plots, this episode was key to much that came after it and built on it.

Am curious to see what other fans' faves were, and hope you'll continue these 'poll' questions across the franchise...

Comment

"Solitudes" was the best episode in Season 1. It offered insight into the characters, and showed just how both O'Neill and Carter reacted to the fact that they were going to die on an ice planet (Or so they believed). It also showed that Daniel refused to give up trying to find his friends, eventually locating them with the aid of the Stargate itself.

The introduction of the second gate also gave the show a host of new possibilities upon which to expand in the future. The only (indirect) flaw from this episode is the changing of the Point of Origin glyph.

Temp0ral.
                              sigpic

Comment

That is a HARD question! There were tons of great episodes in season 1. Children of the Gods is one of my favorites since it introdues us to the new crew and gives Sam one of the best lines ever (just because my reproductive organs are on the inside…). Then we had Cold Lazarus, Thor’s Hammer ,Cor-AI, Solitudes, and Tin Man, all of which are 5 star episodes in my opinion. But since I have to pick just one, I’ll go with Solitudes. I thought that episode set the tone for Jack and Sam throughout the rest of the show, and it has the absolute best outtake ever when Amanda out pranks the prankster. You guys know what I’m talking about. (You used to be MacGyver, McGimick, McGadget, now you’re Mr. McUseless) 14 years later and I still watch that clip from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                                X