This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
    I plan on giving Season 4 a chance. At the current moment, with all the cast (and possible crew) changes, Season 4 looks very intersting. And I plan to sit back and enjoy the ride like I have for the entire series so far.
    Good post agree.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Of course I will. I can't see reason why. Even with Carter who I can't see like big help, I think it could be good if they will continue in the way like in season 3. Let's hope that Carter won't move Zelenka away.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Why don't people like Mallozi and Mullie's eps? As far as I can tell, they've written some excellent episodes - Window of Opportunity, Exodus, Homecoming P2, Moebius, Counterstrike and The Siege P2 to name a few.
        Whether they'd be good showrunners, I don't know (and I actually hadn't heard about that until this thread), but they seem like great writers to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
          Why don't people like Mallozi and Mullie's eps? As far as I can tell, they've written some excellent episodes - Window of Opportunity, Exodus, Homecoming P2, Moebius, Counterstrike and The Siege P2 to name a few.
          Whether they'd be good showrunners, I don't know (and I actually hadn't heard about that until this thread), but they seem like great writers to me.
          I don't get it either as so do I. I think some just prefer serious episodes to their light hearted ones but they have done serious ones also.

Comment

Most of the episodes you've listed are SG1, for those I'd agree, WoO is my all time favourite ep of SG1, such a sublime mix of comedy, drama and tradedgy! Seige P2 easily THE best season cliffie of SGA to date (so much so Gero pretty much copied it with a few details changed for NML) and definately one of the best multiple part stories. Unfortunately they're also very hit and miss and have not only written some of the best but also worst episodes e.g. The Tower. Unfortunately its one of those things, like the ep discussion threads its the worst eps that get the most discussion, and are most remembered. So if you write more clunkers then hits....

Not to mention consistency has been a big issue, and continuity. I dont agree with having writers as show runners, unless they ONLY run the show and steer clear of ANY writing outside of idea generation, ep premises and consultation..the bigger picture stuff. Its hard to remain impartial when you're so close to the work. Not to mention you nearly ALWAYS hear a writer say, 'what I wrote was pretty different to what ended up on screen'. Thats because its gone through multiple layers of production and been added to and tweaked (hopefully) for a more well rounded product but all artists are possessive of their work...thats natural. As writers I'm sure the temptation to take too much control will compromise impartiality, thats when the problems hit.

As for giving s4 a chance, I will pop in from time to time but wont be a regular viewer unless its has appear to me. I stopped watching regularly SG1 when Jack's role changed (mid-s7) and altogether by the end of s9, not because the show was bad but because it wasn't the show I enjoyed watching anymore. Without Carson (IMO the 'heart' of SGA), the addition of Carter and other Sg1 elements, I dont feel SGA is the same show, its lost its appeal. Hell I stopped watching 'Lost' because I got sick of the repeative plots and character deaths (some might love that though), it just didn't sit well with my viewing preferences. Most importantly I like story progression but not so much drastic change so quickly.

I hope they prove us wrong and make a kick ass s4 (and bring back Carson/PMcG full time asap!) and SGA goes on for many more season. If nothing else but for the sake of the remaining cast (who are all AWESOME) and crew (ditto!). So I'll keep an eye out...but I wont be a regular viewer.
            Last edited by TJuk; 12 December 2006, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Not to mention consistency has been a big issue, and continuity. I dont agree with having writers as show runners, unless they ONLY run the show and steer clear of ANY writing outside of idea generation and consultation etc. Its hard to remain impartial when you're so close to the work. Not to mention you nearly ALWAYS hear a writer say, 'what I wrote was pretty different to what ended up on screen'.
              TBH, I don't kno one show where this is the case. Showrunner is always also one of the writers, isn't it? It sure is the case in Stargate, Jonathan glassner, Brad Wright and RCC all continue(d) to write while they are(weer) show runners...
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                TBH, I don't kno one show where this is the case. Showrunner is always also one of the writers, isn't it? It sure is the case in Stargate, Jonathan glassner, Brad Wright and RCC all continue(d) to write while they are(weer) show runners...
                Nope, while they're both writers and PRODUCERS, I think getting to that level means you leave the writing behind except at the premise or consultancy level and the very occassional script (Rob C hasn't written anything since Rising til he did Seteda I think...not sure though). Brad and Rob have only written a couple of eps out of a possible 60. Theres a difference between the producer credit and the 'Exec Producer' or whatever the big boss man is called.

Either way, I dont mind JM&PM coming up with ideas, as 'Irresponsible' showed, they can come up with great ones its the excution thats lacking. I'd want them to concentrate on running the show in general and not spread themselves too thin.

Comment

they have in the past, but they've also made some royal stinkers too.

I agree with whomever put forth that the talent pool is getting a bit shallow. THere are too few levels of quality control. With teh same people writing/directing/producing, there are fewer and fewer folks to sit back and take an objective look at an eps and go 'dude, ya gonna fill this plot hole?' or 'umm, didn't we just do this two epsiodes ago???'

One of the perils of writing is that one can develop blinders. Something might make sense in the writer's head, that makes no sense at all to the general viewer, one that isn't privy to the writer's private thoughts. A series of checks and balances could catch these things.

I think the writers once said that every script used to have a 'how come' session...where folks would pick it apart and rationalize events in it.

They don't seem to do that anymore. and because of it we've been getting a lot of stories with plot holes the size of texas in them, and bad/off characterizations, unexplained actions adn a bit too much deus ex machina

Joe and Paul CAN crank out good stuff...they just haven't done much lately which leaves me more than a little leery about them now calling the shots.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TJuk View Post
                    Nope, while they're both writers and PRODUCERS, I think getting to that level means you leave the writing behind except at the premise or consultancy level and the very occassional script (Rob C hasn't written anything since Rising til he did Seteda I think...not sure though). Brad and Rob have only written a couple of eps out of a possible 60. Theres a difference between the producer credit and the 'Exec Producer' or whatever the big boss man is called.].
                    *Thinks* He wrote Runner, and co-wrote the Gift. BW however was much mroe invovled with stories/ scripts, and he's Atlantis showrunner. (as for SG1, RCC writes about teh same amount of episodes per season as he wrote before he became show runner - even more...)

Either way, I dont mind JM&PM coming up with ideas, as 'Irresponsible' showed, they can come up with great ones its the excution thats lacking. I'd want them to concentrate on running the show in general and not spread themselves too thin.
                    Amusingly, I'm the opposite. i discovered that as little cerativity they have, the more storypoints are necessary within the episode due to the overall arc, their episodes ebcome better.
                    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                    Yes, I am!
                    sigpic
                    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

No--I watched "Rising" and loved it because of Beckett and his interactions with both Sheppard and McKay. I've stayed with the show because of Beckett, and now that it's confirmed that he's being written out, I don't feel the need to watch any more. I will check occasionally to see if by some miracle PMcG is brought back as a guest star, and if he is, then I'll tune in for that/those ep(s).

Comment

I'll see. Obviously I don't want the show to end... it's bad enough SG1 has gone... but to lose both would be terrible. I do question the sweeping cast changes because I have loved all three seasons and IMO I thought it was doing just fine (aside from some under-used characters) and I really love the cast. I know AT is contractually obliged to do the eps but I just don't think it was necessary to bring her over when Teyla and Elizabeth are there waiting for more focus. Saying that, I do like her loads so I will be interested to see how she interacts with the whole cast (not just Rodney!). We shall see I guess...

Ps... thanks for the thread/poll Mitchell.

Comment

It depends. I am a big slasher, and so far, Atlantis has been pretty slash-friendly. I do worry because SG:1 used to be slash friendly until about season 4, when it seemed like Jack and Daniel weren't even allowed to stand in rooms next to each other. I worry that the cast changes and crew changes might bring on the same homophobic attitude and we wont get any more delightful McShep banter.

I'm actually interested in seeing Carter over at Atlantis, because I think her character is so much more interesting when she's actively thinking, solving problems, and interacting rather than just mooning over Jack. I also respect that AT really wants to give her character more humor, and that would definately occur if she's interacting with Rodney.

So I guess, yes, I'll give it a chance, but they'll have to impress me with exciting stories and not turn into a het-ship fest.

Comment

Yes. McKay is still there, so yes.

There's other characters I like, especially Shep, and I'm keen to see Jewel's character (though I hope Carson either gets a fair number of appearences or a REALLY good exit, the pet). I'd like for Ford to be in it at least a couple of times, too. I've no reason to stop watching, it's not as compelling as SG-1, but it's still a nice way to spend an hour.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                              Yes. McKay is still there, so yes.

There's other characters I like, especially Shep, and I'm keen to see Jewel's character (though I hope Carson either gets a fair number of appearences or a REALLY good exit, the pet). I'd like for Ford to be in it at least a couple of times, too. I've no reason to stop watching, it's not as compelling as SG-1, but it's still a nice way to spend an hour.
                              Nice to se you jump on my season 4 bandwagon. I rarely say this as we tend to have opposite views but I agree wholeheartedly at your post.

Comment

Absolutely. I'm looking forward to it.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Working...
                                X