Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that the staff should make complete spoilerless season. The creator of BSG or Star Wars movies don't say anything what we they make, so the fans can't complain and every episode will have a surprise. Maybe this can be a new way to improve rating.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

when there was talk about making a new stargate spinoff after SG1 some months back I didn't realize it would be called stargate atlantis!

I try to stay away from spoilers but from what I've skimmed about s4 it looks like I won't be enjoying my favourite scifi show next summer.

in all fairness it looks like the writers do listen to fans wishes but always come through too late, if at all, and not in the way the fans intended to.
      I remember last season the most popular fan wishes were getting to know that
      mysterious nanovirus enemy and having SG1 crossovers on occasion.

well now we're getting both on a permanent basis!
      the thing is, I bet when fans had those wishes, they didn't have what turned out in mind, and certainly not on a permanent basis!

so will I give S4 a chance? probably, but I don't expect I'll enjoy it.
      looks like the same bad turn SG1 took after S8.

Comment

I'll definitely be watching season 4, unless season 3 completely goes to hell over the rest of the season, which judging by the quality so far, isn't likely to happen. Sateda, Progeny and McKay + Mrs Miller were all excellent, and a few of the other episodes were also very good, and most of the episodes I've read previews for sound decent.

Even though I like Beckett, he's never really been much more than a supporting character, even when they did bump him up to a regular, so I won't miss him too much.

Comment

Originally posted by saberhagen83 View Post
          Absolutely, I will give S4 a chance! I'm still optimistic the changes could work out well, I won't jump of the ship just yet. The fact that AT is coming to Atlantis isn't really bothering me as she has stated already it will be for a few eps not a regular role on the show, so I don't mind that. I still think the show will be really good in S4 just like S3 has been!
          Good to hear. As much as i love Carter and support her coming on SGA I too am glad it's only a couple of eps. I too believe the show will be great in season 4 as well.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Yes, I'll be give Season 4 a chance, with greatly diminished expectations, but, yes, I'll give it a chance.
            sigpic
            Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
              I think that the staff should make complete spoilerless season. The creator of BSG or Star Wars movies don't say anything what we they make, so the fans can't complain and every episode will have a surprise. Maybe this can be a new way to improve rating.
              The staff don't leak the spoilers. Fans find them via sides, but wait, no, Joe Mallozzi was well known for leaking some spoilers (which in some cases backfired horribly when he said "lots of ship" and fans saw none). Anyway, sometimes it's hard to hide casting spoilers, because this material is posted in trade magazines. But... most fans don't read them. However, GW puts most spoilers smack on their front page (and news services often cull GW's front page, so you can get a hefty dose before you know it).

I'm ambivalent about season 4 due to the casting crap, plus the fact that M&M are going to be the lead writers. I expect at least 1/4 of the episodes to be retreads of old SG1 scripts.

Comment

You know... when I first saw the Stargate movie, I thought it sucked (and still do actually) I had no interest in a show based on the movie and didn't watch SG1 at all, save for an episode here and there when I was really bored. A couple of years ago I had a roommate who loved SG1 and I ended up watching his S1 DVDs. After watching, I felt rather ambivalent about it (s10 has been interesting, though). There were some good points but neither the characters nor the plots grabbed my attention and really made me care. And then the roomie started raving about a spin-off of Atlantis being found in another galaxy. I rolled my eyes and wondered how they could make a spin-off of a mediocre series based on a bad movie. I had no interest in watching it and no faith that the people associated with SG could make a truly good show.

And then, one Saturday back in March I was avoiding work (much like today) and I turned on my TV and watched this show that totally blew me away. It was the SGA season 1 episode "The Storm". I loved it. The plot was organic instead of contrived, the good guys were complex instead of 1D chariactures, the bad guys had motivations that weren't simply "we're evil", the FX were decent, the acting superb, the directing made it feel real as if they really were in a storm. I have been addicted ever since.

Lesson learned: always check something out before writing it off (even if you are associating things with bad SG1 writers)
                Visit these links:
                Doctors without Borders --- Amnesty International --- ICotRC --- UNICEF --- Oxfam
                ______________________________________________________________________________

In the democracy of the dead all men at last are equal.
                There is neither rank nor station nor prerogative in the republic of the grave.
                ~John James Ingalls

Geek Forever!!!!!!!

Comment

I plan on giving Season 4 a chance. At the current moment, with all the cast (and possible crew) changes, Season 4 looks very intersting. And I plan to sit back and enjoy the ride like I have for the entire series so far.
                  sigpic

Comment

i think we should give it a chance
                    sigpic
                    Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

I am undecided, because I have heared so many rumours...
                      It will depend on the Seasons Final of Season 3 AND if there will be Wraith in Season 4...
                      Wraith are not evil... they are simply hungry .
                      LONG LIVE THE WRAITH!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                        The staff don't leak the spoilers. Fans find them via sides, but wait, no, Joe Mallozzi was well known for leaking some spoilers (which in some cases backfired horribly when he said "lots of ship" and fans saw none). Anyway, sometimes it's hard to hide casting spoilers, because this material is posted in trade magazines. But... most fans don't read them. However, GW puts most spoilers smack on their front page (and news services often cull GW's front page, so you can get a hefty dose before you know it).

I'm ambivalent about season 4 due to the casting crap, plus the fact that M&M are going to be the lead writers. I expect at least 1/4 of the episodes to be retreads of old SG1 scripts.
                        But there was lots of ship! The Promethus, the Odyssey, the Korolov... *whistles*
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Of course I will give Atlantis series 4 a chance as I think Atlants is the best show ever (well along with Never mind the buzzcocks and top gear that is lol).

I hope it goes on for 10 series
                          sigpic
                          Banner Made By Me for Me
                          The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

With Malozzi and Mullie history and them being the main writers for S4, I don't anticipate enjoying the new eps. I will eventually see them but I will not rush home like I have in the past just to see the premire.
                            Science is but a perversion of itself unless it has
                            as its ultimate goal the betterment of humanity.

Conservatives, like most americans, tend to deny the american empire exists

Children, like most conservatives, are naive and tend to believe in lies, like santa clause

Comment

There aren't enough other sci-fi shows to throw in the towel too soon. I'm going into season 4 cautiously. I don't trust Malozzi and Mullie to write interesting stories that won't offend me or insult my intelligence...but I'm going to give it a chance and if it starts turning into something that looks like Andromeda season 3-5, then yes I will stop watching. I'm sorry, I'm not a child any longer and I'm not easily amused by stupid villains with silly plots.

There are plenty of other good tv shows to watch such as Supernatural, BSG, Doctor Who, Prison Break, Heroes, Dexter, Friday Night Lights, Veronica Mars, and Torchwood. And if all else fails my Farscape and Firefly DVDs. Hell even watching Star Trek the Next Generation again may not be a bad option.

I'm not sure if having women writers on the show can save the female characters from mediocre storylines and character development. There are male writers out there who can write strong and interesting female characters on a regular basis. It's just Stargate Atlantis doesn't have any on staff.

I like shows that make me feel something while watching. Sure mildly amused is okay....but I think I like to feel real worry about the characters and feel what they are going through. SGA with the magic reset button takes away EVERY SINGLE consequence for their actions and well I think in the long run it kind of hurts the character development and story. I think the main problem is there are a lot of other shows that do show consequences for actions and now people can compare shows....and generally speaking SGA comes out short in terms of character development. The characters are the heart of a show and I think the writers forget that?

I think the reason season 1 worked so well is because cut off from Earth the Atlantis Expedition had to rely on each other and when characters died it was a blow because those people could not be replaced. I also felt that the characters and story archs in season one were more consistent. Season 2 they went all over the place...and season 3 it was looking good until the magic reset button happened in the Return part 2 and then Irresponsible. (I'm just pretending the Return never happened or it happened in a AU verse, because it hurts my brain less)

Comment

There's also the fact that ANY new writers- male or female- would basically have their stories run through the shredder and whatever came out- stamped and approved by the Good Ol' Boys Club- wouldn't necessarily have much resemblance to the original story/pitch.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if you get a chance, Amalthia, check out SCIFI's Lost Room miniseries. Despite the ad nauseum saturation campaign Skiffy's been throwing at us, the show is interesting... so far.
                                Last edited by ShadowMaat; 11 December 2006, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X