Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Undecided. Season 3 has been even more full of crap than the mediocre season 2 was and given that the two people whose stories I dislike the most are going to be headlining the show next year, I'm not sure I want to see how much worse things can get. Add to that factors like the marginalization of the Wraith in favor of villains "borrowed" from SG-1, the removal of a main character for no apparent reason (other than that the writers were once again clueless about what to do with him), the addition of another Pointless Hot Chick, the horrifying possibility of another Lucius ep, the unlikelihood of anyone ever bothering to explore the city, the overenthusiastic use of the Big Red Reset Button in EVERY SINGLE EPISODE (that isn't a two-parter) and the fact that anyone who isn't Shep or McKay is lucky to get one ep per season centering on them and, well... let's just say I don't have a lot of incentive to watch.

That being said, there are one or two things I might tune in to see, but it would most likely be individual eps I'd watch rather than the whole season. Exceptions to the rule.

Yes, that's all simply my interpretation of things, thank you.

Comment

I will have to say YES!!!! I love the whole Stargate Universe and will take it anyway I can get it.

That being said, I am a little worried about the number of changes the show is going to go through. I am hoping that it does not return next season as an unrecognizable, flat, boring, Scifi show. Right now the chemistry between actors and characters is what I look forward to. I really can't wait to tune in and see what my friends are doing this week. Too many additions and subtractions are going to change the mix. Hopefully it will add more dimension, but I really hope it is handled right.
      Last edited by Pocus; 10 December 2006, 07:53 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        i just don't see why people don't like season 3.
        There will always be fans who like and fans who dislike certain episodes / whole seasons of a show.

Personally, from what I've seen in lots of forums, mailing lists and livejournals, a lot of fans think season 3 is the best season of Atlantis so far. This is just the impression I get from being in the fandom. It doesn't mean it's right/wrong/false/true. Just that in general I've read an overwhelming number of positive posts about season 3 being the best and very few about liking another season more.

Comment

yes maybe. But they really have to keep up the quality of it. Seems like every second half of the seasons they pump out half-assed episodes one after another. I certainy wont pay $60 per month for cable just to get the Sci Fi channel to see SGA anymore if it really gets bad with the ex-SG1 producers leading. but of course who's paying these days when eps are up within hours through other means that Sci Fi gets nothing in returns if no one bother to see their ads and pay for the channel.

Comment

Maybe. Given the changes we know they're making, probably not.

As I've said in another thread, TPTB went to a great deal of trouble to establish SGA as a very different show from SG1, darker and with far more fallible heroes--and given that, I really don't see how they can integrate Carter into the show at all, not without changing either SGA or Carter drastically. As a fan of both, I don't want to see that happen to either the show or the character.

I started watching SGA because hey, Stargate and I've always liked Rodney. I'd have been a fair-weather fan from that point, but when I saw Poisoning the Well, I was hooked solidly. Not just the characters, but because of the issues that episode explored which showed the potential the show had--and which I felt it fulfilled largely in Season 1, and spottingly in SEason 2. This season so far they've returned to more of the Season 1 style of episodes that made me fall for the show in the first place. Given the changes in both cast and production team that are on slate, I doubt very much Season 4 will live up to that quality.

Dumping the Wraith in favor of the Asurans? Er, just say no? But evidently it's easier to retread a familiar villain from SG1 rather than be creative enough to explore the villains and deal with the constraints they've created for themselves in SGA. I'd advise checking out L.E. Modesitt's Recluce series for some ideas about writing yourself out of corners without sweeping aside the rules you've created for your universe, as well as the new Earthsea books LeGuin wrote twenty-five years after the original series. Some efforts succeed better than others; still, more often than not, the result is some truly creative storytelling. But I guess Stargate's PTB are too busy working out the costume modifications necessary to adequately showcase all the boobs they're bringing on board for Season 4, so, hey, just shift the Replicators over and presto-chango, instant unbeatable villains, Take 2.

Finally, sloughing Carson in favor of another pretty young female character they can dress in skin suits and midriff-baring outfits but not write for is just ridiculous, not to mention the issues involved with casting someone who can obviously act but can't look old enough to be convincing in the part. I've written my letters and gone on about why I think Carson is integral to the chemistry of the show in other threads. Suffice it to say that, for me, Atlantis without Carson is a corpse without a heart, and I really have better things to do with my time than sit around and watch it decay.

Will I watch in Season 4? I still like Rodney and the rest of the characters, and hey, Stargate! I'm a sci fi geek from way back, so I will probably tune in now and again. But unless things as they stand now change drastically, it's not going to be anything I make an effort to keep up with the way I currently do.
            sigpic

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
            ~~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

i was planning to watch it anyway. The loss of carson doesn't effect me much largely because i have little to no emotional attachment to any of the atlantis characters. While the show may be better to me, i don't find the characters all that endearing.

so i do find the additionof Carter to be promising since i enjoy her

I do have reservations about M&M running it. Joe's idea of 'good' is definitely not mine so i have some serious issues with the comic book king running a show with real people. He tends to embrace the silly and immature too much for my personal taste.

I will watch it, although i will be very, very surprised if the show lasts until s5. My gut says that s4 will be the end, but time will tell
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

YES, i'll certainly give it a chance...and more than one. I have come to love this show and the characters and the dynamic it has, however I'm not very optimistic about how all the upcoming changes will work.

Comment

i will give it a chance but if the proposed changes make my favourite show unrecognisable then i might just have to switch off. Which makes me kinda sad really

Comment

Yes! There are certainly some things that I'm concerned about in terms of what's going on for s4 (cast changes, etc). But nothing has happened yet that is going to make me turn my back on such a great show.

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
                    "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

im going to watch season 4 atlantis seems to be geting better to me i just think it well be atlanits last season

Comment

I think many people are curious just to see how the changes pan out.
                        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I'll probably give it a chance, but given how OOC the characters are written and how the show becomes all about "heaving bossoms", and tacky episodes when M & M write something I'm sure it's going to be a disappointment, and I'll end up tuning off sometime during season four anyway.
                          With these news, adding to the hiatus, the cast changes, the crossovers, this show is doomed.

Comment

yup I'll give it a chance, do I have high expectations, no. TBH SGA still isn't grasping me the way it should, I was totally hooked on SG-1 by the end of season one, Atlantis I'm still not all that bothered if i miss an episode. I will however watch it to give it a fair chance, I also think it might be SGA's last season so I'd like to see how they play that out.

Comment

I'll give it a chance and come with an open mind. After all, sat through all of season 1 & 2. And hey, who knows? Maybe I'll be surprised
                              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                              Yes, I am!
                              sigpic
                              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Good grief, of course I will! even though I have concerns, I'd only abandon it if my favourite character left, and I'd probably still even watch then, but just cry into my pillow every night!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X