This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
    Uh, Season three has been exceptional except for Irresponsible and Irresistable.
    Season 3, from what I've seen so far, is far from exceptional, it's mediocre at best. Most solutions used are "Deus ex machina" style solutions usually faciliated by Rodney or there is Sheppard fixing everything and everyone lives on happily ever after. In fact you can basicly write a script plan:

1) Team gets in trouble.
    2) Team faces extreme odd against them.
    3) Rodney or Sheppard do something and save the day.
    4) The team is saved and everyone's happy.

Then again, I have high standards when it comes to SciFi (and TV series in general) because I've seen series that actually get better per season (Babylon 5, DS9, Farscape), where as Atlantis only had one good season (Season 1) and other than that it only had a few good episodes.
    Signed,

Gregorius
    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
      Season 3, from what I've seen so far, is far from exceptional, it's mediocre at best. Most solutions used are "Deus ex machina" style solutions usually faciliated by Rodney or there is Sheppard fixing everything and everyone lives on happily ever after. In fact you can basicly write a script plan:

1) Team gets in trouble.
      2) Team faces extreme odd against them.
      3) Rodney or Sheppard do something and save the day.
      4) The team is saved and everyone's happy.

Then again, I have high standards when it comes to SciFi (and TV series in general) because I've seen series that actually get better per season (Babylon 5, DS9, Farscape), where as Atlantis only had one good season (Season 1) and other than that it only had a few good episodes.
      Well I see your point but alas disagree.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

It's far from terrible.
        Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
        encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
        3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
        4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
        5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
          It's far from terrible.
          I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
            A third series would need a completely new PTB since the current one has proven not to be capable of writing episodes and seasons that have decent character development and continuity. Instead of doing what they have to, which is to concentrate on saving Atlantis, they keep writing mediocre, or even worse, stuff. They they've become so conceited with themselves that if they were to create a third series it would become even worse than SG-1 is at the moment and would result, even if a new series would start with a strong fanbase, in the complete and utter alienation of the fanbase and in the end quite possibly the death of the franchise.

As for Atlantis season 4, I'm not sure if I'll watch it. Season 3 so far has been a dissapointment, it's continuing the trend set by season two of Deus Ex Machina solutions to everything and the expedition becomming more inept with what they're doing every episode. It's more the "McKay & Sheppard" show than it is Stargate: Atlantis, which in my opinion it only was in the first season, after that it become the "McKay and Sheppard show".
            It would be absurd if Malozzi & Co came up with a 3rd series when they are the culprits resonsible for the dwindling audience of the two previous shows and think the execs wouldn't take that into account.
            A whole new team of writers/producers & directors would have to be hired. Of course, that wont happen as the same old hacks will be peddling their tired old concepts as usual.
            When you look at it, Malozzi& Mullie have no Scifi conceptual ideas whatsoever.
            Usually they'll think-hey lets have 16th century type courtly intrigue set in the Gate universe. We'll have the ailing king, the court jester, the unmarried daughter without heir etc......all that sort of crap. We've already had the Ori medi-evil rubbish serve up and I bet they've got technological advanced cavemen lined up to make an appearance.
            I think the fans are in dreamland to think there will be a third series.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
              I agree.
              No! It's the end of the world! Run fo your life!

cough, sorry.
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Sure I will.

I think everyone will have the time to check at least one Episode...

Comment

I'm sorry I have to agree while season 3 has been far better then season 2, season 1 is still by far the best season. Why? Because it was a truely exceptionally ANSEMBLE SHOW and CONSISTANTLY written. Assemble is the key, it gives all the characters a chance to shine and therefore keeps all the collective fanbase happy and helps introduce new viewers because they have a diverse group of people to identify with.

But these two very important factors have been less and less and have lead to its decline over the last two seasons. Gone is the assemble feel, as others have said its the 'Sheppard and Rodney' show, though more and more now its the 'Rodney and friends' show. I know the writers enjoy writing him, god knows he is a fantastic character played by a brilliant actor but it is KILLING the show. The scirpts have become forumlaic and predictable, enjoyable yes, but if that trend continues...see my previous sentence. And I'm not the only one to say that, its been said in print multiple times by professional critics.

I'm intrigued to see what JM&PM can do with the show, because frankly with all the 'shake up' planned, it cant get much worse. Nothing like being handed a really tough job! Let's hope they have the sense to reverse some of the insane decisions (no prizes for guessing what No#1 is on my list). And remember they may have written some complete clunkers, but not everyone is perfect and they HAVE written some of the very BEST episodes of both series (Window of Opportunity, The Seige Part 2).

Personally I think the thing that needs a 'shake-up' is behind the camera, not in front. Ditching dead weight on the writing team like Gero would be my recommendation. Gero was easily my favourite favourite writer in season 1 but since he became staff he's just been IMO a lazy writer. With the exception of Duet he recycles old SG scripts, re-writes previous seasons cliff hangers, rips off (sorry 'homage') movies blatantly and uses the same old plot devices over and over. Judging by the recent interviews and some prize quotes its a combination of ego, and McKay is his 'Mary Sue' character. How can any decent writer say 'I write what I want to see on screen' and feel thats a good statement to make?

Binder KEEP KEEP KEEP. The man has a great talent for seeing both the actor and character's strengths and weaknesses and writing to that. He is also the best for team & assemble eps which if you look at ep discussion threads, are easily the fan favourites. I would also like to see Damien Kindler back on the SGA writing team because I hope that they 'deal' with the retrovirus arc rather then sweeping it under the carpet and he seems to deal with those complex moralistic storylines excellently. And of course Ken C! Cant say 'Common Ground' was my fav of this season, but it was certain a good episode with some interesting threads that need exploring more!!

Just my 2 cents, I doubt unless Beckett is brought back FULL time and/or the writing improves dramatically I'll be around to watch it happen.

Comment

I will be wathcing next season. Even though I'm upset that may fave character won't be there.

Anyway, got to try something and give it ago.
                    Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
                    The Strongest Will Survive!
                    I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

Many people say it's become the Mackay and Sheppard Show, more so the "Mackay and friends" show. Mackay divides the fans/audience most of all. Diehards think he's wonderful but alot of general audience find him a one note windbag.People I know who have caught the odd episode have commented on the 'annoying guy who whines all the time'. They also don't find him funny in the least. He's a switch off factor for those not heavily invested in the show.
                      The Bad news is since ratings are dwindling, the Scifi execs will probably demand more standalone episodes in an attempt to capture more casual viewers. They'll reason long arc stories will confuse any new viewer so they'll want easily digestable 1 hour fillers.
                      The fact that this attitude usually kills a show won't stop them demanding it. It happened on Angel in its last season and it also happened on Alias in its forth season. Both shows never recovered.

Comment

Originally posted by TJuk View Post
                        I'm sorry I have to agree while season 3 has been far better then season 2, season 1 is still by far the best season. Why? Because it was a truely exceptionally ANSEMBLE SHOW and CONSISTANTLY written. Assemble is the key, it gives all the characters a chance to shine and therefore keeps all the collective fanbase happy and helps introduce new viewers because they have a diverse group of people to identify with.

But these two very important factors have been less and less and have lead to its decline over the last two seasons. Gone is the assemble feel, as others have said its the 'Sheppard and Rodney' show, though more and more now its the 'Rodney and friends' show. I know the writers enjoy writing him, god knows he is a fantastic character played by a brilliant actor but it is KILLING the show. The scirpts have become forumlaic and predictable, enjoyable yes, but if that trend continues...see my previous sentence. And I'm not the only one to say that, its been said in print multiple times by professional critics.

I'm intrigued to see what JM&PM can do with the show, because frankly with all the 'shake up' planned, it cant get much worse. Nothing like being handed a really tough job! Let's hope they have the sense to reverse some of the insane decisions (no prizes for guessing what No#1 is on my list). And remember they may have written some complete clunkers, but not everyone is perfect and they HAVE written some of the very BEST episodes of both series (Window of Opportunity, The Seige Part 2).

Personally I think the thing that needs a 'shake-up' is behind the camera, not in front. Ditching dead weight on the writing team like Gero would be my recommendation. Gero was easily my favourite favourite writer in season 1 but since he became staff he's just been IMO a lazy writer. With the exception of Duet he recycles old SG scripts, re-writes previous seasons cliff hangers, rips off (sorry 'homage') movies blatantly and uses the same old plot devices over and over. Judging by the recent interviews and some prize quotes its a combination of ego, and McKay is his 'Mary Sue' character. How can any decent writer say 'I write what I want to see on screen' and feel thats a good statement to make?

Binder KEEP KEEP KEEP. The man has a great talent for seeing both the actor and character's strengths and weaknesses and writing to that. He is also the best for team & assemble eps which if you look at ep discussion threads, are easily the fan favourites. I would also like to see Damien Kindler back on the SGA writing team because I hope that they 'deal' with the retrovirus arc rather then sweeping it under the carpet and he seems to deal with those complex moralistic storylines excellently. And of course Ken C! Cant say 'Common Ground' was my fav of this season, but it was certain a good episode with some interesting threads that need exploring more!!

Just my 2 cents, I doubt unless Beckett is brought back FULL time and/or the writing improves dramatically I'll be around to watch it happen.
                        Sorry to hear that. Hope you at least give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by david2708 View Post
                          Many people say it's become the Mackay and Sheppard Show, more so the "Mackay and friends" show. Mackay divides the fans/audience most of all. Diehards think he's wonderful but alot of general audience find him a one note windbag.People I know who have caught the odd episode have commented on the 'annoying guy who whines all the time'. They also don't find him funny in the least. He's a switch off factor for those not heavily invested in the show.
                          The Bad news is since ratings are dwindling, the Scifi execs will probably demand more standalone episodes in an attempt to capture more casual viewers. They'll reason long arc stories will confuse any new viewer so they'll want easily digestable 1 hour fillers.
                          The fact that this attitude usually kills a show won't stop them demanding it. It happened on Angel in its last season and it also happened on Alias in its forth season. Both shows never recovered.
                          And there are people who don't liek Sheppard, and there are people who don't like Weir, adn there are people who don't like Teylaand there are people who don't like Ronon.
                          Maybe they shoudl jsut drop the entire cast adn start with a nwe one, especialy made to be enjoyed by all 6 or so billion people on the planet Earth?...
                          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Yep. I'll be watching

I have to admit with all the changes going on, I"m hesitant. I actually like season three very much (there have been a few eps I'm not overly crazy about) but there have been some FANTASTIC character and team episodes as well.

I'm hesitant because I feel like Atlantis is really starting to hit its stride (the characters are coming together, etc) and (spoilers for end of season 3)

Spoiler:

they're shaking it up quite a bit with Beckett leaving and Tapping coming in, along with Beckett's replacement. even at the producer/writer level things are changing a lot.

I'm hesitant because I feel like they're messing with a good thing. Trying to fix something that really isn't broken!

So, I'm a little wary, but going into the whole thing with an open mind. Been wary before, and turned out to be pleasantly surprised
                            sigpic
                            My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                              And there are people who don't liek Sheppard, and there are people who don't like Weir, adn there are people who don't like Teylaand there are people who don't like Ronon.
                              Maybe they shoudl jsut drop the entire cast adn start with a nwe one, especialy made to be enjoyed by all 6 or so billion people on the planet Earth?...
                              Mackay stands head and shoulders above the rest of the cast in the annoyance factor. The rest, you could argue, are pretty ineffectual and don't really frighten the horses too much.
                              All in all, Atlantis, to me, has the same stench that season 8 of Gate had: The diehard fans thought it all wonderful despite the dreadful writing and, of course, 2 years hence, the show got axed. I get the same vibe with Atlantis.
                              Last edited by david2708; 19 December 2006, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I can’t see any reason to not at least give it a chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X